Thirty is the New Twenty

by Meghann on February 5, 2015

My twin brother and I will be thirty on Sunday. It’s still kind of crazy to think that. Thirty? Wait a second. That’s ancient.

I remember when my parents turned thirty. I remember going to my aunt’s house and celebrating my mom and aunt’s thirtieth with lots of “over the hill” signs, balloons, and a gravestone cake. I even remember my mom and aunt wearing black shirts that had 3-0 loudly printed on them in multi-colored font. Do they even make over-the-hill stuff for turning 30 anymore? Don’t tell me. I don’t want to know.

Back then I thought my mom and aunt truly were “over the hill” (I was 9 at the time – what did I know?!), now 30 feels so young. I’m nowhere near over the hill, heck I’ve barely begun to summit the darn thing. I look back at photos now of my mom’s thirtieth and she looks like such a baby. Even with four kids and over a decade of marriage behind her, she was a baby.

71538_1611825662836_2955086_n

It’s crazy how our mindsets of certain ages change as we grow older. Especially, what we hoped to accomplish before then. Is this where I expected to be at thirty? Is this what I had hoped to accomplished? I never made a “Thirty for Thirty” list, but if I had, would I have met everything on there? I think I would have. Heck, I may have even added things that became new goals along the way.

Where thirty was once a very scary number, I don’t think it is anymore. My twenties were awesome. I took full advantage of being young, carefree, and single. I jumped out of a plane, I lived on my own, I ran marathons, I did a full IRONMAN, I worked for myself, I found an awesome job in a field I love, I traveled, I became a fur-mom, I fell in love, I got married, I bought a house, I built a healthy savings account and investment portfolio, I remained close with my family, I built awesome new friendships, I did stupid things that built character, and I just plain lived life to the fullest. I’m darn proud of my twenties and wouldn’t change a thing about them (minus an outfit choice or two). The only thing missing from that list is having a baby, which I’m confident will be a fun new adventure for my thirties (lord know we’re working hard on that).

bloody mary

So this is thirty? I’m okay with that. I think thirty looks pretty awesome. So my skin isn’t quite as fresh as it used to be, so my teeth have started to shift some (screw you, useless retainer!), so my hair has a few more grays than it used to, so it’s not as easy to stop the jiggling as it used to be… I’m okay with that. I earned everyone of those wrinkles, gray hairs, and jiggles. They’re just a sign of a well lived life.

Here’s a toast to my fellow thirty year-olds! May we always have trouble remembering our age, because we’re having too much to care. Drink up!

1 Linda @ TheFitty February 5, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Twin brother?! You’re fraternal twins?! Thats so cool! I’ve never come across a blogger like you before. That means your birthday is coming up too, doesn’t it?
Linda @ TheFitty recently posted..This “Elitism” Bullshit That Goes With Being Vegan {WIAW #11} {#LIPlinkup #16}

2 Molly Rose February 5, 2015 at 9:00 pm

You have such a great attitude entering your 30s. I have a couple more years till I’m there but I have many friends who’ve entered the decade. (They’ve all survived, don’t worry) 🙂

30s seriously does seem like the new 20s anyway. You can have just as much fun!! Each year is what you make of it.

Happy early birthday Meghann 🙂
Molly Rose recently posted..Tips for the Beginner Yogi

3 Alisha @ Real Girl Running February 5, 2015 at 9:18 pm

You have the same birthday as my husband! He’s a few years older though. Happy birthday!!

Having been part of the 30-something club for a few years now, I have to say that I think my thirties kick butt over my twenties. So I’m sure things will only get better and better for you!!
Alisha @ Real Girl Running recently posted..NROLFW – Stage 5 Complete!

4 Kc February 5, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Happy birthday! I’m a new reader and love your blog! I’ve usually heard the phrase “over the hill” meaning turning 40, so…ten more years ’til that hill 😉 haha!

5 Katie February 5, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Happy Birthday to you!!! Obviously readers don’t know all the stuff that happens “behind closed doors” but since you’re pretty open with your life on the blog, I must say you lived your 20’s well 🙂

6 Courtney! February 5, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Happy Birthday!!! I can’t figure out how I blinked and got so old (I’ll be 30 next year), but life is so much better now than at 20. I definitely miss my college days, but being able to afford nice beer and having real friends without the drama is pretty much all I can ask for 🙂
Courtney! recently posted..My Sweaty Valentine: A Gift Guide for the Fitness Lover in Your Life

7 Meghann February 6, 2015 at 6:42 am

Agree!

8 Marju February 6, 2015 at 1:23 am

These days, I’d say 40 is the new thirty! Just in one generation, lives have changed so much, and I bet this trend is going to continue into the next generation.
Marju recently posted..Secrets and suspense

9 Rachel February 6, 2015 at 3:51 am

I also turn 30 this year and I’m quite looking forward to it. I’ve had some good times in my twenties, but I’ve also had some really tough times. It’s been a decade of figuring out who I am and what I want to do with my life and I spent a good number of years going down what turned out to be the wrong path. I don’t regret it; those experiences have made me who I am today and I’m a stronger person for it. Heading into my thirties, I am more at peace with who I am and what my priorities are and I am optimistic about the next decade. Happy birthday!

10 Susie @ SuzLyfe February 6, 2015 at 7:09 am

My brother with be 30 next Sunday (the 15th). I have a few more years, and I am interested to see what happens in the interim. I have grown so much in the past 12 months, I can’t imagine where I will be in 3 years! But 30 is a fantastic place to be–live it love it OWN IT Happy Birthday!
Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted..Healthy High Protein Low Sugar Snacks for Marathon Training

11 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed February 6, 2015 at 8:25 am

I’m turning 29 this year… I don’t think 30 is looking too bad. Certain things scream old and lame (spending a Friday night going to multiple grocery stores lol), but I really don’t care. I like my life just how it is 🙂

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

12 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner February 6, 2015 at 8:38 am

Happy Birthday! I am looking forward to my thirties. With people living so much longer now, I don’t think of “over the hill” as anyone under 70! My grandma is 90 and still having fun. 🙂
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Update

13 Emily February 6, 2015 at 9:38 am

Happy Birthday! I’m hoping that I have that perspective too when I’m 30. 🙂
Emily recently posted..WIAW – #2 – 🙂 (WIAT. Oops)

14 Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat February 6, 2015 at 10:14 am

Happy Birthday! I just turned 34 last week and can confidently tell you 30’s are awesome. Although I never really pondered the whole turning 30 thing too much and forget my age half the time anyways 🙂
Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted..Treat Yourself Tuesday: Birthday Edition!

15 Paige Phillips February 6, 2015 at 10:55 am

Hey, Meghann! I hope you have a wonderful birthday….and let me let you in on another happy secret….30’s are great, and 40’s are even better! It’s all in how you live it! 🙂

16 Kristen February 6, 2015 at 11:12 am

I’m turning 30 this month as well! It scared me at first… but like you, I look back and see how much I have grown in my 20s and how ready I am to continue growing in my 30s. It’s crazy to think how fast time has gone, but I can honestly say I’m wiser, stronger, and more secure now that I’m heading into 30 than I was as I stumbled through my 20s.

17 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed February 6, 2015 at 11:23 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

But really, your thirties is where you’re pretty much done figuring out “what” you want to do, and you just fucking do it. It’s great.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Get Series(ous). #3

18 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed February 6, 2015 at 11:23 am

*are* not is.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Get Series(ous). #3

19 Chatelaine February 6, 2015 at 11:41 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Dang girl I’m 5 years older than you and you just gave me an awesome pep talk!!

20 Stephanie @ Sparkles and Sweat February 6, 2015 at 11:50 am

happy early birthday!!!
Stephanie @ Sparkles and Sweat recently posted..FIVE THINGS FRIDAY

21 Justine February 6, 2015 at 12:35 pm

My 30th is Monday and I’m feeling much the same way. If you would’ve asked me 10 years ago where I’d be in life at 30 my answer would have been WAY off, but the life I’m living is even better than the one I had pictured! I feel like 30 is entering true “adulthood” although I certainly still feel like a kid sometimes.

Happy 30th birthday weekend to you! Enjoy the last couple days of your 20s!

22 Rebecca @ Bring Back Delicious February 6, 2015 at 12:42 pm

A fellow Iron(wo)man! You go girl!

You did a LOT in your twenties, all of which you should be proud of. Congratulations and happy birthday. May there be many more good ones to come.
Rebecca @ Bring Back Delicious recently posted..Chili Colorado

23 Kat @ Where the Sidewalk Ends February 6, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Happy birthday, early, Meghann! Couldn’t agree more – age is but a state of mind and a number. I am 28 and feel 6 most days, so let myself act like it as long as I meet (most of) my responsibilities. I thrive on being a goof-ball, and it keeps me and my husband madly in love, my dog entertained, and my blood pressure low 😀

24 Megan @ I Run For Wine February 6, 2015 at 2:04 pm

I hope you have a fantastic birthday Meghann! I Thirties are awesome 🙂
Megan @ I Run For Wine recently posted..I’ve joined the #LJFITCHALLENGE!

25 Anne Weber-Falk February 6, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Here here! Great attitude! Just wait until you get into your 50s. It gets even BETTER.

26 Bets February 6, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Happy Birthday, I hope you have a great weekend celebrating!

27 Laura February 6, 2015 at 5:28 pm

In only 24, but this post made me so happy and reminds me that I need to live my life to my fullest because my 20’s won’t last forever! Happy birthday to you and your brother!!

28 Stacey February 6, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Happy (almost) birthday! Honestly, being in your 30s is wonderful. I like it SO much better than my 20s. I’m so much less self conscious, and the silly things that were once so important to me, like the size of my nose or my lack of style, are not even weekly thoughts now. You’ve accomplished so much, and look fabulous! Live it up, girl!
Stacey recently posted..How to get through a motivation vacation

29 Nikki February 7, 2015 at 8:13 am

I turn 30 in July. My husband had a hard time accepting turning 30 two years ago but I could care less.

30 Missy Dietsch February 7, 2015 at 3:00 pm

I met you this morning at BDR and need to apologize – I walked up to your tent and said “are you that blogger?” LOL I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to seem rude. Just a busy, hectic day!! Thanks for chatting with me about marathon training. Like I told you, your blog is my newest addiction, and you’re inspiring me in so many ways (what to eat, how to train smarter, and your race recaps are awesome).

Happy birthday! Life in your 30s is indeed very wonderful (I’m at the end of that decade, I’ll turn 39 two days after Iron Girl). I have no doubt you’ll have much, much more to celebrate in the next few years! I was happy to meet you, and I think I’m ready to sign up for Iron Girl!

31 Ash Bear February 8, 2015 at 1:13 pm

The 30s are better than 20s!
Ash Bear recently posted..Giving My Mind & Muscles Some Love

32 Gloria February 8, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Happy Birthday Meghann! I turn 30 in a few months and I feel the same way! My 20s were awesome, but I’m ready for 30.

33 April February 8, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Happy birthday! I hope you and your brother have an awesome day!

34 Mary February 8, 2015 at 8:14 pm

We’ll said, Meghann. I turned 45 this year, but I feel better than I did at 30. Your best years await you…best wishes!!!!!:)

35 Sarah F February 9, 2015 at 8:03 am

I love this post so much! Happy almost 30!

I am turning 29 in a couple of months, and I have definitely started looking back at my 20’s and reflecting on my life so far. Glad to hear you are feeling happy and content with where you’re at 🙂 Have a great birthday

36 Reenie February 9, 2015 at 11:20 am

Happy Birthday Meghann & Brother!!

37 MelanIeF February 9, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I’m turning 39 this summer and I’ve never felt better! Turning 30 is great but 40 is the new 30. I use to say that 40 was so old but not that i’m almost there I feel better than in my twenties! Happy Birthday to you!

38 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger February 12, 2015 at 11:22 pm

This is such a great post 🙂 I posted something similar when I turned 30 right after Christmas. I’m not going to lie and say it was all easy breezy, but there’s something validating about being in your 30s. Like you finally really truly made it to adult hood? Happy Birthday!! Hope you enjoyed the milestone 🙂
Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger recently posted..The Sweetest Life