MY TTC Kit

by Meghann on January 22, 2015

When we first started trying for a baby last year, I thought the only “supplies” we would need would be the God-given ones we were born with. Clearly I missed the part of sex-ed where making a baby involved a man, a woman, and a drawer full of endless goodies recommended by close friends and the internet.

Over a year later and I almost laugh every time I open my drawer dedicated to TTC supplies. Let’s just say Amazon and I have been close friends lately.

If someone recommends it, there’s a good chance I’ll try it. Here’s a list of my current “TTC Kit” complete with items I standby each month.

(just a heads up, I’m currently drinking a glass of wine while writing this. please excuse inappropriate jokes or any TMI mentions.)

Fertility Tea

fertiletea

I started drinking the tea at the recommendation of my acupuncturist last spring. The active ingredients are supposed to help regulate ovulation and menstruation. Personally I just think it tastes good. It’s a great calming tea that’s perfect to enjoy right before bed.

FertileCM

FertileCM

I started taking FertileCM the month of my first positive test, and let’s just say it worked. Big time. I really can not recommend it enough.

PreSeed

preseed

I’m just throwing this out there because I think it’s hilarious – regular lube is a sperm killer. Yes, ladies, all of those years of trying to prevent pregnancy with this and that, and all you really needed was a tube of lube the entire time. Who knew?

Okay, okay, so I wouldn’t exactly start a new anti-teen pregnancy campaign around it, but it’s a well known fact in the TTC boards that traditional lube is a sperm deterrent and, when you’re doing everything to make the little guys feel welcome, an unnecessary deterrent is a big no-no.

PreSeed is a sperm-friendly alternative that naturally mimics EWCM (ugh. I hate that acronym). From what I’ve read it basically rolls out the red carpet and turns your uterus into the ultimate VIP lounge for the little guys. All sperm welcomed! The eggies are ripe and they are a waitin’!

Be warned that it is potent. A little bit goes a long way.

Wondfo Pregnancy Tests

wondfo

Pregnancy tests are expensive. If you were to follow the recommended guidelines of waiting to test until the day after your period, then I’m sure it’s not a problem, BUT if you’re a POAS addict like myself (I promise I’ve gotten better!), then it’s easy to blow your entire paycheck on just pregnancy tests. That’s where buying pregnancy tests in bulk trough the internet comes in handy.

They’re low cost because there’s nothing to them. No plastic shield, no digital “Pregnant” or “Not Pregnant” – just a simple stick that may or may not have an extra line appear in the five minute time frame.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility

tcoyf

I first read Taking Charge of Your Fertility years ago when I was researching alternative forms of birth control. I re-read it when we first started trying last January. It’s a great book that every woman should read, full of great information on the female body and reproductive system.

Basel Temp Thermometer

thermometer

I fought the idea of charting for a while. Having to take my temperature every morning sounded like too much work. But then I discovered I had irregular cycles and really had no clue what the heck was going on with my body. I start charting last April and immediately gained so much knowledge about my body and how it works. The data really is fascinating and I like having the confirmation that everything is working the way it’s supposed to.

Digital Ovulation Predictor Kit

clearblueopk

There are cheaper opks on the market, but I always had a hard time reading them. The digital version is worth the splurge. The instant smiley face (or empty circle) is foolproof.

Fertility Friend App

ff app

Fertility Friend is a great app for tracking your cycle and charting. It predicts your most fertile days, when your period is due, and comes with a very supportive community. I’ve been using the app since last April and really love having all of my old data to look back on. It’s a free app, but you can pay an annual membership fee to unlock some special features (I’m a member and can personally attest it’s worth paying for the VIP membership).

chartlesson2

^If only it was that easy. ^

So that’s what’s in my drawer of tricks. What’s in yours?

1 Linda @ TheFitty January 22, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Some of these would work for just getting your menstrual cycle ?
Linda @ TheFitty recently posted..10 “Oopsie!” Confessions {#LIPlinkup #15}

2 MF January 22, 2015 at 9:19 pm

i swear by fertilitea!

3 Sara January 22, 2015 at 9:21 pm

I’ve used most of these before and they do help most women! I also highly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/It-Starts-Egg-Naturally-Miscarriage/dp/0991126904.

4 j January 22, 2015 at 9:22 pm

For those of us who are just your regular readers, not TTC or in that world, could you possibly write out the meaning of all the acronyms? EWCM, POAS, etc…

5 Shannon January 26, 2015 at 2:51 pm

TTC = Trying to conceive
EWCM = egg white cervical mucus. The presence of ewcm indicates that a woman is at her most fertile point in the cycle.
POAS = “pee on a stick” it’s just a cutesy way of saying that you are taking a pregnancy test.
OPK = ovulation predictor kit.

It’s all super confusing unless you are actually trying to get pregnant. At that point you become way too familiar with all things uterus and sperm related 😉

6 Brooke D January 22, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I required three IUIs and there IVFs before getting pregnant and tried all kinds of things. One I don’t see you mention is acupuncture. I started seeing one who specialized in fertility and while I can’t say for sure if it really made a difference or not, it certainly didn’t
hurt. Some insurances even cover it if you want to look into it. Good luck! I know hard ttc can be.

7 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner January 23, 2015 at 10:24 am

I have also heard that acupuncture can work wonders!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Update

8 megan w. January 23, 2015 at 11:01 am

Acupuncture and Chinese herbs prescribed by my acupuncturist helped me get PG after trying for over a year! 🙂

9 Katie @ Live Half Full January 22, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Good tips! I’m new to the TTC stage and this is really helpful. The only thing I’ve done is start tracking using an app and start taking prenatal vitamins.
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Currently: Day In The Life + New To Me Foods

10 Laura January 22, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Hi Meghann!
Sorry you’re having so much trouble TTC. As soon as I stopped running (just walked for exercise) my period regulated. Just a thought! 🙂

11 Janette January 22, 2015 at 11:02 pm

All of these ideas are great but the biggest thing I have learnt after trying to have kids is just relax and enjoy your special time so to speak. Try not to put so much pressure and anxiety on yourselves or your special time will loose its meaning and just be forced baby making time, when we relaxed and just let nature take its course we had our son.. Good luck I know it’s stressful but it will happen maybe not when you want it to but the positive is you have already been pregnant so you know it can happen again..

12 grace b January 22, 2015 at 11:48 pm

It seems to me that relaxing is KEY, yes? So maybe less wine, more yoga/acupuncture/epsom salt baths? Just a thought. Good luck Meghan. You and Derek are going to make great parents!

13 LindsayH January 23, 2015 at 9:26 am

This is for sure in the Top 10 Things Not to Say to Someone Trying to Have a Baby.

14 Kristy B. January 23, 2015 at 9:39 am

THIS. Relaxing will not help you get pregnant. It’s really annoying when people tell somebody who has been trying for any length of time “Oh, maybe you just need to relax!” or “Just stop worrying about it, it will happen”

NO. Some people truly have to work hard to get pregnant. Others get pregnant without trying. The biggest myth about trying to conceive is when somebody says that stress is a factor. Stress IS a factor, but we’re talking working out 5 hours a day stress or living in a war zone stress. Not just worrying about getting pregnant.

Excuse my rant, but as somebody who has been trying for more than a year, it’s a little infuriating when I hear somebody say, “Just relax!” — I was relaxed, until you said that.

15 Belinda January 26, 2015 at 3:22 pm

If I could triple quadruple like this comment, I would. You’re right, LindsayH.

16 Sam January 23, 2015 at 4:43 am

I’ve heard good things about The Fertility Diet (http://www.amazon.com/The-Fertility-Diet-Groundbreaking-Ovulation/dp/0071627103). Good luck with it all anyway, I hope it works out for your both.

17 Kim January 23, 2015 at 7:22 am

Hi Meghann, thanks so much for sharing your story and the valuable information you’ve learned. I was wondering if I could make a request? I have yet to start down the path of trying to conceive so I am VERY new to this world…would you mind spelling out the acronyms you use, at least for the first month or so as you share your journey? (For instance, EWCM and POAS.) Many thanks!

18 Karly January 23, 2015 at 8:37 am

Meghann,

I love this post as I tried every single one of these items! I would do the weird and crazy recommendations too – eating pineapple core, legs up in the air right after, no oral sex for him beforehand (I actually think this one might work?), etc.

I drove myself a little crazy trying to remember to eat pineapple, take my temps or put my legs in the air long enough. We TTC’ for over 8 months and now I’m 34 weeks with my little one. I just want you to know that in the moment this TTC stuff sucks! Really bad! But once it happens, it doesn’t seem so bad. Looking back now thinking it took 8 months wasn’t such a big deal. I obviously can’t speak for the miscarriage you had, which had to have been even more stressful and hard to deal with. But I really do hope and pray you get your little rainbow baby!

Just try not to drive yourself too crazy by all this stuff! Although I tried it all, the only thing I used the month I got pregnant was OPK’s. Best of luck! I can’t wait to read when you get your BFP! 🙂

19 Nikki January 23, 2015 at 8:54 am

Vitamin B6 regulates the luteal phase of your cycle

20 Kristin January 23, 2015 at 8:56 am

We used PreSeed when we tried for both of our kids. I am telling you, I SWEAR by it! For us, at least, it is like it magically carried the sperm to the egg so they could meet each other, bahaha. TMI? LOL Everything seems TMI when talking about TTC yet its all appropriate.

21 LindsayH January 23, 2015 at 9:24 am

There has been recent research suggesting that “regular” (water based, forget oil) lube does not have a negative effect on sperm. I am at work so I’m not about to Google the research study, but it was in a peer reviewed scientific journal within the last year. That being said, I have been pregnant two times and both times we used pre-seed – however, I had poor quality CM due to the medication I take for perennial allergies.

22 Kristy B. January 23, 2015 at 10:02 am

I’ve been on the TTC train for over a year now, and I’ve tried it all. I’ve read studies that Melatonin increases egg quality, so I’ve been taking Melatonin before bed every night (it really helps me sleep). There are also studies that show women who take a lot of Vitamin C are more likely to get pregnant so in addition to my prenatal vitamin I take a Vitamin C supplement (but ONLY in my follicular phase, I stop once ovulation occurs because an excess of Vitamin C can cause a miscarriage, though probably in higher doses than I take, but to be safe.)

I also do a lot more yoga and a lot less running since I’ve been trying. I know that running is one of your favorite things (mine, too), and I’m not trying to completely overhaul my life just in case I get pregnant, but yoga has really helped me relax. I have a book called “Fully Fertile” with lots of yoga routines that emphasize poses that are good for fertility. You can also find a few fertility yoga flows on YouTube. I haven’t broken down and bought a DVD yet (like weddings, anything with ‘fertility’ in the title jacks up the price), but I might soon.

You didn’t mention a prenatal vitamin here, but you are taking one, right? It’s important to take a prenatal if you’re trying to conceive because the fertilized egg needs that extra folic acid almost immediately.

Good luck Meghann! I suspect you’ll be pregnant in no time.

23 Briana January 23, 2015 at 10:21 am

Hi Meghann,

I have to say now that I’ve been TTC for nine months all I do is take opks , everything else is to much work ! I applaud you for keeping with it, I’m sure you get a big fat positive soon! Currently just starting the two week swift and ugh it’s horrible.

24 Erica January 23, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Just a heads up, I read on some boards that the FertileCM can actually cause a disruption in your cycles.

The PreSeed and temping worked for me. I conceived on the first FULL cycle of temping.

25 Heather January 23, 2015 at 12:36 pm

I agree with the ladies above regarding NOT saying “Just Relax” to a woman trying to get pregnant. It is the single most annoying thing I’ve ever heard while in the throes of TTC. I had to try for 18 months for my first. I did all that you have listed above. My cycles were irregular as well. I actually conceived my son after a juice fast for 14 days that I SWEAR reset my cycle. It was the first 28-day, picture perfect cycle that I had ever had. I’m not pushing juice fasts and wasn’t doing it to lose weight, just to cleanse my body of any toxins. All that being said, it took 18 months of active TRYING to conceive DS1, but 1 month of “let fate decide” to conceive DS2. Be careful after your first pregnancy until you’re ready for baby 2, just saying 🙂 Good luck and lots of baby dust to you, Meghann (and Derek, too)!

26 Melissa January 23, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I used BBT, FF, and the Wondfo OPKs and just got my BFP last week. There is also an amazing, no BS forum that I was/ am a part of that really helped me through out everything. Let me know if you are interested in the link, the ladies are snarky but amazingly helpful and caring!

27 Angie January 23, 2015 at 7:26 pm

This all sounds sooo familiar!!!! I had a miscarriage years ago. I was too young anyway (20), when they say everything happens for a reason it truly does. Had i had that baby i wouldn’t have the life i have now….happily married with 3 kids. The last 2 we were TTC for a long time. My 2nd son it took almost a year…my 3rd (a girl..she is now 4 months old). We were TTC with her for 3 years. Found out i had a cyst on my ovaries and had it removed. I then started taking FERTILITY BLEND (I got it at GNC) and 2 months later, after we had stopped “trying” we found out we were preggo with my daughter. Thanks to Fertility Blend!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to come by and say ENJOY this time and that it will happen when its Gods time!

28 Beth A January 23, 2015 at 8:14 pm

My specialist had me take a supplement called Pregnitude. I thought the name of it was funny. But, it ended up being part of the cocktail of stuff that worked.

29 Kali January 24, 2015 at 2:09 am

My husband and I spent five years not particularly TTC, but not trying to avoid it, before conceiving our first which we lost. Like you, I had a younger sister just about to deliver a healthy baby. I ate as clean as could be and had my husband doing so as well, and only had one period before conceiving again. I was anxiously waiting for my pperiod to come because my doc had recommended waiting two cycles before trying, and had gathered supplies like preseed and ovulation kits. Now I am up in the middle of the night reading blogs while feeding my 12 week old. I don’t know if eating cleanly helped or if the whole thing is just a crapshoot, but I love knowing what other people have tried. It made me feel better to have some sense of control over the situation. Good luck!

30 [email protected] January 24, 2015 at 8:37 am

Is the tea on Amazon or elsewhere? This is the second time Ive heard it mentioned out of the blue this week so I am taking that as a sign!
[email protected] recently posted..Birthdays and Beaches

31 Anne January 24, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Looks like you hit them all! I used Wondfo OPKs not a digital one just to save money. The Fertility Friend app (with VIP membership) is great!! Highly recommend. It gave me so much insight into what was going on with my cycle.

32 Hannah January 24, 2015 at 9:49 pm

I used Fertility Friend and recorded my temperature for 6 months before I got pregnant. The information you get when charting is so helpful and you really do learn about your cycles. I was at a fertility specialist ( I made an appointment when I wasn’t pregnant after 6 months after trying) when I found out I was pregnant. So, sometimes, it really does happen when you least expect it. Good luck!!! Use Fertility Friend and when you’re in that fertile window (as well as the days before and after ) get to it! 🙂

33 Emma January 26, 2015 at 6:32 am

Have you heard about the fertility workshop series at Bella Prana Yoga? I think it starts this week!

34 Stacey January 26, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I find it amazing that I spent so much time trying to prevent pregnancy, when it’s so freakin’ difficult to get pregnant! Ugh. I want pre-seed to market with sexier packaging. “Hang on, sweetie, I need to lube up with my magical butterfly-and-daisies baby making gel.”
Stacey recently posted..26.2 Thoughts I have BEFORE a marathon

35 Mags January 26, 2015 at 11:34 pm

I just bought a bunch of tests at the dollar store and found out I was pregnant on one of them so they do in fact work! I also took a vitex supplement (also known as chaste berry) while trying to conceive. I have PCOS and have always had irregular cycles. After a few months of taking the herbal supplement, my cycles were closer together and of course, got preggers! Best of luck!

36 Hannah @ Eat, Drink and Save Money January 27, 2015 at 11:58 am

I feel like we had so many of the same things in our TTC kit. The ovulation predictor tests never worked for me. They never said I was ovulating until I actually got pregnant, apparently those hormones are similar and are picked up by both tests. Totally threw me off. I ended up getting fed up with all of our “tools” because they get to be a little overwhelming after a while. Even so, this is a great roundup of products!
Hannah @ Eat, Drink and Save Money recently posted..Is it worth repairing PUL on cloth diapers?

37 AJD January 29, 2015 at 7:11 pm

I just wanted to say hang in there! We are in our 28th month (but who’s counting?!?!) of TTC and waiting on our blood test after our 3rd IUI. This journey is SO incredibly difficult! It sounds like you are doing a great job of trying every trick in the book. I sincerely hope you get your BFP very soon!

To all of the seemingly well meaning people advising to “just relax”… please please please NEVER say this to someone struggling to get pregnant! Infertility is a MEDICAL PROBLEM and insinuating that someone can simply relax and get pregnant makes as much sense as telling someone with cancer to relax and be cured. Relaxing is not a cure for infertility.

38 The Many Thoughts of a Reader February 2, 2015 at 3:57 pm

I used B6, green tea, bbt, opks, prenatals…
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..#mileaday challenge recap

39 LG March 17, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Oh man. This brings back such memories. We’ve been trying for about 5 1/2 years (sometimes really trying, other times just “not not trying”). Six IUIs, vague medical explanations and many books later, and we’ll finally be parents in less than a few weeks – domestic adoption! Can’t wait to bring our baby home from the hospital.

Life is just not easy, you know? I don’t wish fertility troubles on anyone!!! I’m sure once baby comes, I’ll be thankful for all of the traveling we’ve been able to do over these years…plus front-loading our finances (I’m 34). I don’t know. Life takes us on all sorts of twists and turns…*hug* God hears us, though sometimes that’s really hard to believe.

40 Jess January 4, 2016 at 10:14 am

Hey Meghann! I’ve been following your blog for about a year now and happened to come by it after my husband and I had a missed miscarriage (12 1/2) weeks in May 2015. Your blog has been an absolute saving grace to my sanity; reminding myself I am not alone. I just wanted to say, ‘thanks’ for sharing and I firmly believe that finding you was meant to be.