Nice & Quiet

by Meghann on January 18, 2015

Wait… is it Sunday night? Where did my weekend go?

I mean, clearly it’s a big weekend when it starts off like this:

IMG_20150116_163655

Gchat with the hubs. He just gets me. 🙂

My twin brother is getting married in Hawaii in September, hence the need to look at flights. We also recently discovered we’ll be attending a wedding in the Caribbean in October. It’s a good thing we had a bit of a wedding break in 2014, because 2015 is already looking like a big year. Go big or go home, right?

So, yes, there was a big bottle of wine, there was some action on Expedia, and there was also some snoring on the couch by 10:00 pm. Light weights!

Saturday morning I took advantage of the amazing weather and got a decent 5 mile run in. I recently downloaded Still Alice and started listening to it on my run. Wow – great book! The story focuses on Alice, a cognitive psychology professor at Harvard who is diagnosed with early onset alzheimer’s. I’m only a little bit in and I’ve already felt myself tearing up multiple times. While I do not have any ties with the disease in my family, my husband does and I know how much of a struggle it was for his family to go through. It’s not something you’d wish on your worst enemies.

Still Alice was recently turned into a major motion picture starting Julianne Moore. I downloaded the book after seeing her interview about the film on The Daily Show. I would suggest checking it out here. Her passion towards the project is contagious and I can’t wait to see her in the film.

still alice

We spent the rest of Saturday cleaning the house and running errands. It was great to have a free day to catch up on everything.

Saturday night we saw Foxcatcher at the local theater.

Foxcatcher_First_Teaser_Poster

When wealthy John du Pont (Steve Carell) invites Olympic wrestler Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) to move to his estate and help form a wrestling team for the 1988 Olympics, Mark sees a way to step out of the shadow of his charismatic brother, Dave (Mark Ruffalo). However, du Pont begins to lead Mark down a dark road, causing the athlete’s self-esteem to slip. Meanwhile, du Pont becomes fixated on bringing Dave into the fold, eventually propelling all three toward an unforeseen tragedy.

While I can’t say I particularly enjoyed the film, I can say that Steve Carell was phenomenal in it. He completely transformed himself, taking on the awkward look and mannerisms of the former wrestling coach seamlessly. It was a dark film with dark characters and a tragic ending.

Sunday morning started with four more miles and a big plate of pancakes.

20150117_090459

I mean, what’s a Sunday without pancakes?

We also had a binge-watching session of Friends.

IMG_20150118_105718

We’re slowing making our way through the series. Derek has never seem all 10 seasons, so we made a pact to watch them together on Netflix. Right now we’re in the middle of season two and I have a strong urge to wear crop tops, mini skirts, and lip liner. Gotta love 90s fashion!

Unfortunately our dryer decided it was ready to go to that big laundry mat in the sky today. RIP dryer! It was nice knowing you! Do you think it knew we were saving money for new floors? How dare we think floors were more important than laundry!

It doesn’t look like the dryer is worth saving, so Derek will be heading to the store for a new one tomorrow. Me? I’ll be heading to work. I hope everyone who has MLK off, makes the most of it.

Have a great week!

Good Night!

1 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed January 18, 2015 at 10:02 pm

My husband has off tomorrow, but I’ll be headed to work as well. The weekends really do fly by, right?
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..January Whole30: Days 6 – 13

2 Alisha @ Real Girl Running January 19, 2015 at 1:32 am

Can I just say that your weekend sounds AWESOME! Exactly the kind of weekend that I would choose.

I haven’t heard of Foxcatcher before, but it sounds interesting! I’ll keep an eye out for it.
Alisha @ Real Girl Running recently posted..Celebrating my Dad

3 Linda @ TheFitty January 19, 2015 at 5:27 am

Congrats on the marriage to your brother! (Err, HIS marriage, I worded that a bit awkwardly).

Speaking of Alice, I hear the Go Ask Alice series are really good.
Linda @ TheFitty recently posted..10 “Oopsie!” Confessions {#LIPlinkup #15}

4 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 19, 2015 at 8:33 am

Still Alice was a great book! I haven’t seen the movie yet though!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted..Why This Yogi Loves Inversions…And You Should Too!

5 Olivia January 19, 2015 at 8:45 am

Ahh! Sorry about your dryer. 🙁 Our dryer bit it yesterday too! I about had a heart attack. Turns out the breaker tripped. PHEW!
Olivia recently posted..Upcycling a Vintage School Desk

6 jen January 19, 2015 at 8:55 am

i’ll be spending it with my husband at our first fertility specialist appointment. two uteruses over here, what, what!! i guess you need to have a sense of humor about this crap, right?

7 Meghann January 20, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Yep, mine is heart shaped. I <3 it. Good luck at your appointment!

8 Hilary January 19, 2015 at 9:49 am

I am making my way through Friends as well! And my goodness I have seen every episode so far, but never in order haha.
Hilary recently posted..Marathon Training Week 1

9 Courtney! January 19, 2015 at 11:47 am

I can’t think of any better way to spend a night than drinking and planning trips. My two favorite activities!
As soon as I finish Parenthood, I’m going back to Friends. I’ve never actually watched it all the way through. I
Courtney! recently posted..Disney Bound! & A Runner’s Guide to Kansas City!

10 Tory January 19, 2015 at 4:25 pm

I’m one of those people guilting of binging on Netflix series. FRIENDS is next on my list, since I just finished How I Met Your Mother… again.
Tory recently posted..Weekly Recap: January 12, 2015

11 Sally Kate January 19, 2015 at 6:54 pm

I read Still Alice a few years ago- it’s amazing!! I recommended it to everyone- including my mom, who now thinks she has Alzheimer’s everytime she forgets to grab something at the grocery store- ha. It’s so good though. Alzheimer’s is a terrible terrible disease.

12 Mrs. Swan January 19, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Oh my! I just had to comment to say that I can SEE the comments! Whoo hoo! Whatever that issue was I guess it is fixed.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Merry Christmas