Our First Week of 2015

by Meghann on January 4, 2015

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone’s New Year’s Eve celebrations were either really restful (hey, there’s nothing wrong with bringing in the New Year in your PJs) or extra exciting (cue the fireworks, fancy dress, and bubbly).

Derek and I were smack dab in the middle with our New Year’s Eve. We had a quiet dinner at a local Thai place, then rang in 2015 at a friend’s house. It was the perfect mix of staying in, while still wearing a killer dress.

10906551_10105526994849863_1340266299626561172_n

Unfortunately, despite a somewhere quiet evening, I still woke up the next morning feeling like I’d been run over by a truck. The older I get, the less I drink, yet the hangovers are slowly becoming more and more debilitating. How does that happen? When did I get old?

January 1st was dedicated to football. And I think we’ll just leave it at that.

10384208_10105532499668163_4006456363559567609_n

The best way to cure a hangover is to keep drinking, right? We started doing shots somewhere around the third quarter of the FSU v Oregon game. They were needed. Definitely needed.

I was lucky and only had to work a half day on Friday. After nearly a two-week hiatus, it’s nice to slowly work my way back into a normal routine. I’ve definitely been spoiled during Christmas break, it’s been nice to sleep in and get stuff done around the house. We finally finished painting the kitchen (gah, it was just as annoying as we were expecting) and had some time to concentrate on fixing the pool (we hired a pool guy to give us a proper tutorial, which helped).

Friday night Derek and I saw Interstellar at the MOSI IMAX Dome.

interstellar poster

Have you ever experienced a full length feature film at an IMAX Dome theater? It was intense. I’m really not sure how to describe it, just that it felt like we were sitting right next to the screen even through we were more than half way up the rows in the theater. The screen wrapped around us, sucking the whole audience right into the film. Interstellar was the perfect movie to experience in the IMAX Dome, as all of the space scenes were beautifully shot and really made the IMAX experience pop.

The film itself was great – I highly recommend it. It was a little different than I was expecting, but still very well done.

My parents made the trip to Tampa on Saturday. Since the weather was too beautiful to stay inside, we headed to the Hillsborough River and got to know nature a little better with a 4 mile canoe trip.

20150103_134027 20150103_134226

The river was quiet, peaceful, and the perfect spot to relax outside and enjoy the warm weather and sunshine. We weren’t the only one enjoying the weather, we saw at least 20-30 alligators sunbathing (and swimming!) along the way.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

If you’re a local, I highly recommend checking out Canoe Escape. We called that morning and were able to make an reservation for later that afternoon. Our two-hour self-guided tour included a 4-mile trip down the river with a bus waiting to take us back at the end. The whole crew was very friendly and helpful, they really made the experience that much better.

20150103_135623 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Derek and I are heading out for our anniversary dinner tonight. Can you believe our two year wedding anniversary is tomorrow? Man, where does time go?

Happy 2015! As promised, I’ll be back Monday or Tuesday with my first TTC post. Stay tuned!

1 Amanda January 4, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Can’t WAIT for your TTC post!

2 Claudia January 4, 2015 at 3:14 pm

As a die hard Pac-12 fan (Cal and Stanford are local to me) I was not upset by the Rose Bowl result. And as the sports gods say, there is always next year…something this Cal fan has been uttering for years! ;o)

However, that canoe trip looks amazing. Would love to spend a day like that as it looks like an ideal way to ease into the New Year. *cheers*

3 Haley @ Running with diapers January 4, 2015 at 4:03 pm

We went to the IMAX theatre to see one of the Harry Potter films and I had such a difficult time following the movie because the screen was so massive. I felt like a cat following a laser pen with all the action spread out so wide on the screen. It drove me nuts.
Haley @ Running with diapers recently posted..Mostly Silent Saturday

4 Katie January 4, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Happy New Year to you!!!

5 Linda @ TheFitty January 4, 2015 at 4:29 pm

I want to see mockingjay in an imax, but I don’t think they have it!
Linda @ TheFitty recently posted..Juilliard Audition Results + Christmas Week {#LIPlinkup #14}

6 erin m. January 4, 2015 at 4:43 pm

I love that dress! It looks great on you!

7 Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate January 4, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Seriously, I get hungover so easy now! I had two glasses of champagne on NYE and felt awful on the 1st…then I drank two bloody marys and three beers while watching football and suddenly felt much better 😉
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted..Top 10 Workouts of 2014

8 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed January 4, 2015 at 6:26 pm

OMG you’re canoeing? The forecasted low on Wednesday is 6 degrees here outside of Philadelphia. Enjoy your balmy January! Happy Anniversary too 🙂
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..January Whole30: Meal Plan Days 1-5

9 Molly Rose January 4, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Sounds like a great break you’ve had! (minus the loss– I won’t talk about it either…)

How ’bout hubby and I went canoeing on the Hillsborough River at the time of our 1 year anniversary! haha. We only saw one gator and I thought I was going to die b/c hubs decided to STAND in our canoe to get a better picture of it. I still twitch sometimes thinking about it 😉 Super fun though, I love being out in nature!
Molly Rose recently posted..The Year In Pictures

10 Bree W. January 4, 2015 at 10:51 pm

I need your New Year’s Eve outfit. You look great! Looks like you had a great won besides FSU losing.

11 Mary January 5, 2015 at 2:45 am

Hope you have a lovely anniversary dinner tonight! 🙂
We were hoping to catch Interstellar over the holidays but it seems to have finished playing round us so guess we’ll have to wait until it comes out on DVD now.
Love the idea of heading out on a canoe trip, although I’d feel pretty uneasy with all those alligators swimming nearby…! :S
Mary recently posted..What I want from 2015

12 Molly January 5, 2015 at 8:00 am

Nice post! I always enjoy seeing a new post pop up from you!

13 Jessica January 5, 2015 at 8:40 am

Agreed (with the getting older, drinking less, but feeling worse) NYE for me, was kind of laid back, I had some wine- not too excessive, made sure I ate and drank tons of water before bed. The next day… oh boy! I totally feel you!

14 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 5, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Haha only you Floridians would be excited about seeing the gators swimming and sunbathing. Just hearing that there were gators in the water would make me hightail it to shore REAL quick!! lol.
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Snapshots of a New Year