A look back at 2014

by Meghann on December 31, 2014

Another year has come and gone. Where does the time go? 2014 flew by and I’d be lying if I said I was sad to see it go. It was a year full of big highs and big lows. It was the year we bought a house, welcomed a beautiful new nephew into the world, and shed many tears on our journey trying to conceive. It was a building year, the kind you have to fight through to make the good ones that much better.

Here’s a look back…

January

Rang in 2014 with our closest friends.

Celebrated one year of wedded bliss

Made an awesome sign for the Walt Disney World marathon

My sister made a big announcement

February

Derek turned the big 3-0

June

Returned to my roots at the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Half Marathon

Took a vacay with my babe and ran the Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Half Marathon

Swam, biked, and ran at Siesta Beach Sprint Triathlon

July

Showered my sister, brother-in-law, and future nephew with love

August

Cried more tears than I ever thought possible

Bought a house

September

Met Owen and fell in love

Meals and Miles turned 6

November

Hosted our first Friendsgiving

Escaped to Switzerland for Thanksgiving (Part I, Part II, Part III)

December

Had a big family Christmas

My resolution is to be more open and honest in 2015, so be on the look out for more “real” posts about our TTC journey. A lot of my 2014 posts were sugar coated in happiness, while I was hurting so much inside – that also explains the drop in posts this past year. I already have some drafts saved that I’ll start sharing in January – stay tuned

Thank you for making me a stronger person, 2014. Cheers to a bigger and better 2015!

Previous years:

1 Keri December 31, 2014 at 11:55 am

As a long-time reader, I would be so happy if you would share more about your TTC journey! You and I are in similar places in that respect – I am dealing with a lot of issues with TTC as well. I know it’s a difficult subject, but it would definitely be very nice to hear more open and honest discussion about what you’ve been through. Looking forward to it!

2 Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate December 31, 2014 at 12:19 pm

What a fantastic year for you- so many fun races. Cheers to another amazing 12 months!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted..New Year’s Eve

3 Laurie December 31, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Great post! Praying that 2015 will be great for you and Derek! Happy New Year!

4 Krista December 31, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Hey Meghann, I had a miscarriage as well last year & we are TTC too-it definitely is a journey to say the least, but I’m trying to remain positive about it all. I am so ready to let go of 2014 & start fresh in 2015. I look forward to your posts in the coming year!

5 Gia December 31, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your TTC journey. My husband and I are going through the same thing and you are not alone. I love that you are going to be having more real posts in 2015. Thank you for sharing your story and hoping all the best for you in the New Year.

6 heather December 31, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I’m looking forward to your TTC posts and being more honest. Life isn’t perfect and all of us go through hard times. It’s nice to see that side of blogging sometimes because most bloggers make everything look so perfect.. and it’s just not relatable.

7 Lindsey F December 31, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Wishing you a happy healthy 2015 with all good things in store!

8 Katie D. December 31, 2014 at 2:38 pm

It took me a lot of TTC post miscarriage before I had my daughter. Real post (as raw as they may be) are always preferred.

To be in honest, your recent posts do seem sugar coated and forced. I’d rather the real Meghann be back!

9 Jessica December 31, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Meghann,

I want to say how wonderful I think you are for being honest and sharing your TTC journey. I went to 5 weddings in 2011, and every single one of those women has had a miscarriage and went on to have a healthy baby. One had a miscarriage in between her 1st and 2nd child. Another had one right after the 3 month mark, a week after she had announced it on Facebook. Another didn’t want anyone to know because she’s such a perfectionist and always tries to portray a life of perfection (although I understand her right to privacy). Another friend, mentioned it casually at a party, and something must have been wrong with the pregnancy and her body must have known. She didn’t blame herself at all and went on to have a healthy baby this Xmas (at age 38). Before I met these women, ranging from 23-38, I had absolutely no idea that miscarriage was so common because no one talked about it. I applaud you for sharing your story and bringing this issue into the conversation. I feel like when traumatic events are kept hidden, and we pretend we’re not grieving the loss of something, we can do more damage to ourselves in the long run by using unhealthy means to numb our emotions.

I’m turning 35 next October and my husband is 38. This year, when discussing which health insurance to do, we actually discussed the possibility of paying for a D+C in case of a miscarriage. While it’s sad to think about the loss of a baby as a possibility, I am happy that my husband and I can use what we’ve learned and plan as best as possible for what could happen. Going through something like that is traumatic enough without the financial burden on top of it.

Thank you for sharing your life with us and being “real.” You are helping so many people just by being yourself. I wish you the very best for the new year and beyond.

10 caroline December 31, 2014 at 5:41 pm

i would LOVE to read more about your TTC journey as you are going through it. I actually am currently going through a miscarriage….we found out our sweet baby stopped growing about a week and a half ago, so I am waiting for the process to (hopefully) occur naturally in the next week or so, or else I will have to decide between a d&c and cytotec. I have already had one d&c so I am hesitant to have another. long story short….i know your story would be an encouragement to a lot of people and think it’s really brave of you to be open. since we’ve had the miscarriage i have been very vocal about it, and as a result so many friends have opened up with similar stories. it’s very common, very painful and unfortunately very not talked about. looking forward to reading.

11 Meghann January 4, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. I took the D&C option because I couldn’t bear to wait for it to happen naturally. You are a lot stronger than I am. Lots of hugs to you and your family.

12 Nikki January 1, 2015 at 8:43 am

And I have read every single one of those posts!

13 lisa valinsky January 1, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Happy New Year! I would love to read about your TTC journey, as so many women our age are in that mode and it’s such a support network to hear each other’s stories.

Wishing you a year of peace, health, and happiness.
lisa valinsky recently posted..Every Local Food Purchase Helps

14 Linda @ The Fitty January 2, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Sounds like a rollercoaster this year, but in the end the good outweighed the bad, I hope. 🙂
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..Juilliard Audition Results + Christmas Week {#LIPlinkup #14}

15 [email protected] January 3, 2015 at 3:55 pm

I can only imagine the sorrow and hurt on your TTC journey. My prayers will be with you that 2015 will be the year for a little M&M baby to head your way 🙂 *Hugs*
[email protected] recently posted..First Snow & A Workout

16 Katie January 4, 2015 at 4:16 pm

I hope 2015 brings you lots of JOY! 🙂 I look forward to “reading” another year with you! I’ve been reading since the beginning!