Switzerland Adventure: Part I

by Meghann on December 1, 2014

We’re back!

20141129_110350

Talk about a whirlwind of a trip! I have to say, 5 short days was not nearly enough time across the Atlantic, but it was all we had and that was perfect for us. 🙂

Derek and I had a direct flight from Tampa to Zurich on Tuesday night. I had a lovely cocktail of NyQuil and red wine and was out like a light before the plane even left the tarmac.

IMG_20141125_191336

Unfortunately Derek wasn’t quite as lucky. He was wide awake for the entire 9 hour flight. When I woke up a couple of hours before we landed, Derek was in the middle of his third movie. Poor guy.

We breezed through customs in Zurich, discovered Starbucks is ridiculously overpriced in Europe ($8 for a grande cappuccino?!), and caught our connecting flight to Geneva.

By the time Delphine (Derek’s former au pair and a family friend) found us at the Geneva airport it was already Wednesday afternoon and we were walking zombies. We were never so thankful to see a friendly face, especially one that provided espresso and chocolate.

IMG_20141126_093733

And cows. Can’t forget the cows.

We spent the evening with Delphine and her family. We hadn’t seen them since our wedding two years ago and the girls had grown so much. Time flies way too fast.

IMG_20141126_131339

After a delicious dinner, Delphine dropped us off at the train station and gave us directions back to the city. It was far too short of a visit, but we promised to return when their ski chalet is ready in 2016. I mean, who wouldn’t promise that? 😉

20141126_150507

Ashley and Bo met us at the train station and brought us back to their flat, where we slept on a real bed for the first time in 48 hours. It was beautiful.

Ashley had organized a local Turkey Trot for the next morning (Thanksgiving!). It was interesting to wake up at 6:00am Switzerland time and be able to message to my brother in California, who what still awake from the day before (it was 9:00pm his time).

The casual Turkey Trot was just what my jet lagged legs needed. We met up with a group of Ashley’s friends (randomly two of them were from Tampa – small world, right?) and ran an easy 5K around the quiet early morning streets of Geneva. I learned that the Swiss are generally not early morning runners and the majority of locals run after work. We were the oddballs out running before the sun.

IMG_20141127_012559

The 5k took us on an out and back path along the water. It was a nice introduction to the city and the perfect way to celebrate our American holiday so far from home.

After the run, Ashley headed to work and Derek and I explored a bit of Geneva with Bo.

IMG_5454

IMG_5456

IMG_5460

IMG_5464

20141127_051105 20141127_061023

And then it was turkey time!

IMG_5481 IMG_5482

IMG_5485

IMG_5486

Bo and Ashley hosted 21(!) friends for Thanksgiving. It was amazing – full of great food, new friends, and lots and lots of wine.

meghannashley

IMG_5489

IMG_5492

IMG_5496

Everything was amazing, unfortunately I woke up Friday morning not feeling great. It was a mix of starting my period, a bad head cold, and too many glasses of wine the night before. It was the type of morning where the European espresso wasn’t going to cut it and a venti $10 Starbucks was worth every penny.

After re-fueling with copious amounts of caffeine and Advil, we decided to spend the free day exploring Gruyere.

IMG_5497

IMG_5501

What I love about Switzerland – or really all of Europe – is the abundance of good bread, good wine, good chocolate, and good cheese. Gruyere is on the top of that cheese list.

IMG_5505

IMG_5511

The factory tour was a little on the slow side, but the samples were delicious.

IMG_5503

Right down the street from the factory is the adorable little town of Gruyere, complete with a castle and cobblestone streets. 20141128_082931

IMG_5516

And what’s a visit to Switzerland without fondue?

IMG_20141128_142950

We had our only fondue experience of the trip in Gruyere and it was fun and delicious. We took turns dipping bits of bread, boiled potatoes, and dried meat in the gooey cheese.

IMG_5523

IMG_5526

20141128_093320

IMG_5532

IMG_5542

IMG_5553

It was a pretty cloudy, dreary day, but the clouds parted just long enough to let a little bit of the view peak through.

IMG_5564

Our final stop of the day was at the Cailler Chocolate Factory.

20141128_102324

We were unfortunately too late for a tour, but that didn’t stop us from enjoying the most delicious hot chocolate drinks ever.

20141128_103824

Bo made amazing steak for dinner and we toasted the day with champagne.

20141128_133706

Cheers!

Derek and I took a very casual approach to this vacation. When I travel, I’m usually in the mindset of needing to see and do everything while I’m there. That means early mornings, long days, and a to-see list that’s about a mile long. I took a complete 180 to that role this time and it was a wonderful change of pace. We slept in, got late starts, and spent our evenings staying up late playing games, watching movies, and drinking good wine. It was relaxing and exactly what we both needed. Having the opportunity to spend quality time with great friends was also a huge bonus. I can’t thank Ashley or Bo enough for letting us crash at their place and showing us around.

I’ll be back with the rest of our trip, but for now I need to get to bed.

Stay tuned!

1 Sabrina December 1, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Switzerland, such a delicious country to visit! 😉
Sabrina recently posted..{Almost} End of Year Check In

2 Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie December 1, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Looks like you had a wonderful trip! I love that you even got in a Turkey Trot all the way across the ocean. So fun!
Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie recently posted..Thanksgiving Break Recap

3 Linda @ TheFitty December 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm

What generous samples of cheese!. I’d like to visit switzerland and hike around.
Linda @ TheFitty recently posted..December Challenge–Are You IN?

4 Christie of The butterfly Editions December 1, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Looks lovely! Good on you for making the most of the time off work you had! Switzerland looks incredible, and also that cheese fondue – ohmygosh YUM!
Christie of The butterfly Editions recently posted..Muay Thai Training in Thailand: Week 3

5 Annie December 2, 2014 at 6:48 am

I think you’ve mentioned that Derek is gluten free before (apologies if I’m mistaken). Did you find that he was able to eat well in Switzerland? What did he eat?

6 Meghann December 2, 2014 at 12:51 pm

He decided to forgo eating gluten free for the trip.

7 Susie @ SuzLyfe December 2, 2014 at 7:01 am

I followed the pics that you posted to IG, and they were just incredible, but these top it all! What a fantastic experience, and with friends–even more special.
Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted..Ceding Control in the Holidays and Life

8 EB @ Running on E December 2, 2014 at 8:15 am

Looks like an awesome vacation! Always fun when you can pair up seeing a new place with seeing old friends!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..November Recap

9 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed December 2, 2014 at 8:44 am

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to see the rest of the pics 🙂 I’m such a serious planner too, but it is so nice to have a laid back trip once in a while!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Monday Happenings + Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash & Cheese

10 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub December 2, 2014 at 10:04 am

I’m like you with travelling, get up early and do a hundred things. Looks like this was a perfect vacation, laid back and just soaking up your time. Totally makes me want to go back to Switzerland, it’s so beautiful there!
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..How Jen got her groove back

11 Katie December 2, 2014 at 10:19 am

More cheese please! With friends who know the area I think its best to kick up your feet and let them do the work.

12 Stephanie December 2, 2014 at 10:31 am

Looks like an amazing vacation! I’m so jealous! 🙂
Stephanie recently posted..MIMM #2: TURKEY TROT & BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING

13 Courtney December 2, 2014 at 11:24 am

Gruyere looks absolutely adorable! I’m very jealous of your trip and it looks like you had a great time! I’m also the traveler that typically likes to see absolutely everything 🙂 so I’m glad you got a chance to relax and enjoy it! Can’t wait to read part 2!
Courtney recently posted..Des Moines Marathon 2014 Race Recap

14 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life December 2, 2014 at 11:32 am

Looks like such a fun trip!! I’m such a trip “planner” too, but sometimes it’s nice to just take a laid-back approach to vacationing. In the end, you’re probably going to have more fun, and are you REALLY going to remember all the tiny places that you HAD to stop at?
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..First Trimester Recap

15 Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes December 2, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I’m so glad you guys were able to have this trip to relax and recenter. It sounds like this trip was exactly what you both needed. And that hot chocolate looks absolutely delicious!
Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes recently posted..Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cupcakes

16 Jess December 2, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I think you have thoroughly convinced me that I need to visit Switzerland? I love good chocolate, good cheese, fondue and gorgeous mountains. I don’t know why it never occurred me to before that i must visit it and soon!

I am a little surprised that European espresso wasn’t enough for you. I think the coffee I’ve had in Italy and France was some of the strongest, meanest blackest and most caffeinated stuff in my life.

17 Sarah December 3, 2014 at 7:28 am

I’m glad you had such a good time in my country! Did you try the meringues and heavy double cream while in Gruyère?

18 MsTampa December 30, 2014 at 7:10 am

I enjoyed reading about the trip to Switzerland. Will you consider writing a review about Eidelweis, our new airline at Tampa International Airport?

Thanks.