In need of an adventure

by Meghann on November 25, 2014

Our bags are packed and we’re ready to fly!

IMG_20141125_121328

I still can’t believe we’re heading to Switzerland TONIGHT. When Ashley and Bo moved there a couple of years ago it seemed like such a pipe dream to visit them. Ashley would ask us to visit and we officially became that couple who were always full of excuses. First it was the new job, then it was training for IRONMAN Florida, then it was buying the new house, and then we discovered we were expecting. When our pregnancy ended in August, I felt hopeless, lost, and in desperate need of an escape. Once again Ashley was there, acting as my shoulder to cry on and telling me we needed to visit. It was just what I needed to hear in that moment. We were out of excuses; life is far too short for excuses. A week later we booked our flights and started planning our desperately needed escape.

I pretty much dove right back into work after the pregnancy ended. I immediately traveled/worked two events, put in long hours prepping for a new season, and haven’t had any breaks. I’m exhausted both mentally and physically. I’m in need of a vacation and can’t wait to see my friends, spend time with my amazing husband, and explore a new country.

Ashley sent a sample itinerary of possible adventures we can have this week and each one made me smile.

I mean, check out Ashley’s post from her hiking adventures this past weekend. When I was telling co-workers about my trip, I pulled out her photos and was like “this is my friend I’m visiting and this is the cool sh*t she does.”

Incredible.

Life is too short. It’s time to start living!

On a completely unrelated note, I finally finished Gilmore Girls on Netflx this morning. It took a little more than a month and a half to watch all seven seasons.

Gilmore Girls on Netflix

Now that it’s over, I find myself wanting more. Isn’t that how it always goes when you’ve finished binge watching a great show via Netflix?

The whole series was like taking a trip down memory lane. However, I never realized how many episodes I missed over the years. Gilmore Girls was popular before DVRs were really big, so if you missed that week’s episode, you just plain missed it. There wasn’t “on-demand,” there wasn’t the ability to watch full episodes on TheWB.com (who remembers The WB?!), and there wasn’t a way to record it (unless you were super organized like my college roommate, who used to record her favorite shows on vhs – whoa). For instance, I didn’t remember Jessie living in Philadelphia or the details behind Chris and Lorelai’s big breakup. Also, I’m not sure I ever full appreciated how hot Luke was (I developed a serious Luke Danes crush this second go around). I feel like I have the complete Gilmore Girls story now. Only I’m still left with questions – Did Luke and Lorelai stay together? Did Rory follow Barack Obama all the way to the White House? Did Rory and Logan reconnect down the road and find a way to make it work?

By the way, how ahead of the times were the writers of Gilmore Girls when they had Rory go on the campaign trail with Barack Obama? This was right after he announced his candidacy for the presidency of the United States, but still a year before he secured enough delegates to become the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party for the 2008 presidential election. Obviously they picked the right nominee for Rory to follow, as everything she touches turns to gold.  It was a perfect way to end the series and seven years later I can fully appreciate what a huge opportunity it was for her.

The complete Friends series will join the Netflix Instant Play line up in January. Until then, I plan to catch-up on cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies, as well as catch-up on other shows I ignored while feeding my obsession for Gilmore Girls (my poor neglected DVR).

Just in case I’m not able to blog again before Thursday, I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving! This year I’m thankful for my family, amazing friends, and my beyond supportive husband. I’m also thankful to have a roof over my head, the ability to take a European vacation on a whim, and my smartphone.

1 Sanne November 25, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Have a great time in Switzerland, it’s a beautiful country 🙂 Try some cheese fondue!
I always believed Rory ended up with Jess after all!

2 Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie November 25, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the adventures awaiting you! Can’t wait to see recaps!!
Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie recently posted..Winter Weather Running Gear

3 molly November 25, 2014 at 12:42 pm

You are going to have SO much fun! Switzerland is on my bucket list so I can’t wait to read about all the adventures you go on! Sounds like this trip came at a perfect time, escapes are absolutely necessary 🙂

Gilmore Girls will always have a happy place in my heart. We just finished Breaking Bad (tad different than GG:)) and it was way too good. Were now watching Game of Thrones (hubby borrowed the seasons, it’s bot in Netflix)

4 Amy November 25, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I think getting the heck out of dodge to experience something new is a great idea. Have a wonderful trip.

5 Colleen November 25, 2014 at 12:50 pm

You should check out the book “Coffee At Luke’s” — From Publishers Weekly

Novelist Jennifer Crusie resumes editorial duties in this follow-up to her previous Smart Pop series entries (Flirting with Pride and Prejudice, Totally Charmed), a collection of essays on the television series Gilmore Girls, a small-town mom-and-daughter dramedy known for clever, rapid-fire dialogue and rich relationships. This title arrives just in time for grieving fans-after seven seasons, Gilmore recently aired its final show-but is a typically mixed bag. Charlotte Fullerton’s defense of the show’s cantankerous elder stateswoman, Emily, is an insightful look at “a fascinatingly complex, layered fictional human being.” Sara Morrison’s “Your Guide to the Real Stars Hollow Business World,” in which she compares the Connecticut town of her teenage years with Gilmores’ setting to determine which businesses would survive, is amusing but aimless. Further off the mark is Jill Winters’ exploration of the static life of a fictional town (“Stars Hollow does not seem to be a place where one can evolve”) in which she seems to forget that she’s discussing a comedy-drama, not real life-a mistake she’s not alone in making. This title may not have a long shelf-life, but disenfranchised Gilmore devotees-likely the most bookish TV fans a bookseller could hope for-are sure to give it attention.

6 Cynthia November 25, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I have been watching Gilmore Girls as well, but I haven’t seen an episode in a few weeks. I got to season 5 and then I decided to pace myself. I will be done before I know it and I’m not ready. I forgot how much I loved that show!! Like you, I have found episodes that I missed way back when too. I just love that show so much.
Cynthia recently posted..Teaser Tuesday

7 Lindsey @ Simply Lindsey November 25, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I loveee Gilmore Girls! I might have to start a marathon after we finish our New Girl marathon! Have a great trip!
Lindsey @ Simply Lindsey recently posted..Lately

8 Kristina November 25, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I Just finished GG on Sunday and had the same thoughts when it came to Rory working on Barack Obama’s campaign. The one thing that I felt was “missing” was knowing where she ended up. I think it was much more on point with how “reality” really is that at 22, Rory had so much more ahead of her life and career wise to give up for a relationship, which is very similar to my life. However, I’m the first one to admit, I love when my tv shows have the cliche happy endings. In my mind, she is in California with Logan… or maybe Jess and her reconnect and she has an awesome career in journalism while they live in New York together.

9 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine November 25, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Have a safe flight and an awesome trip! XOXO
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted..The Ultimate Unique Foodie Gift Guide + {A Spectacular Giveaway}

10 Sarah November 25, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I’m relatively new to your blog (love it) and I JUST got back from 10 days in Switerzland (as in, I just got back on Sunday). The country is spectacularly beautiful. Make sure to eat a lot of chocolate (duh), Sprungli luxumbergerli, raclette, and rosti!

11 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub November 25, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Hope you have an amazing trip to Switzerland, it sounds like its very well deserved and needed. I am almost through the Gilmore Girls seasons but I’ve seen the full seasons multiple times. I have the same questions though. I really hope Luke & Lorelai are together, in this made up world.
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..Christmas Gift Guide for Beauty Lovers

12 Sheena November 25, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Have a blast! I’ve been itching to get back to Europe and Switzerland is definitely on my bucket list. A layover in Zurich just isn’t enough!

13 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 25, 2014 at 3:38 pm

OMG enjoy your trip!!!! Happy Thanksgiving 🙂
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Monday Happenings + Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash & Cheese

14 Billie November 25, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Have a fabulous time in Switzerland. Lots of Swiss hot chocolate. I will be in Berlin whilst you are in Switzerland. It’s only a two hour flight from Liverpool. Safe journey x

15 Mary November 25, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Have an amazing trip! It sounds like it’s just what you need right now.
I never watched Gilmore Girls but I could probably recite Friends word for word and never get bored! I hate when you come to the end of a show, especially if you have hardcore binge-watched it!
Mary recently posted..Baby, It’s Cold Outside

16 Haley @ Running with diapers November 25, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I really should watch Gilmore girls on Netflix. I just caught myself up on The Good Wife thru Amazon Prime and I need something else to fill the void. It’s either that or Sons of Anarchy.
Have fun on your trip. What a great destination.
Haley @ Running with diapers recently posted..Liebster Award

17 Courtney November 25, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I can’t wait to hear all about the trip!! Happy Thanksgiving!!
Courtney recently posted..Des Moines Marathon 2014 Race Recap

18 AndreaClaire November 25, 2014 at 7:50 pm

After a trip down memory lane with my Swiss sister from a completely separate set of parents (it doesn’t help that we look very similar so when we jokingly refer to each other as ‘sister’ no one questions it despite her having a Swiss-German accent and me having a Canadian accent) last night and today, I thought of your trip. I don’t know if you’ll have time for this with your plans but I highly, highly recommend going to a hockey game while you’re in Switzerland. I say this as a Canadian and a life-long Canucks/NHL fan, that the Swiss are the most enthusiastic hockey fans you’ll ever see. Standing tickets are very reasonably priced (as are seated tickets but they’re less fun) and the experience is fantastic. If you do think about doing it, try to get tickets in the home team standing section (although the away section can also be a lot of fun if it’s the ‘right’ away team). The best team fans, in my opinion, are Bern, Zurich, Zug, Lugano, Langnau and Davos. Home or away, the fans of these teams put on an awesome show. Especially Davos… and I’m not just saying that because I have two Davos jerseys, a coffee mug, and a scarf at home 😉

Anyway, just a thought if you guys are looking for something off the usual tourist-beaten path.

19 Jackie November 25, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I just got back from Switzerland and France! Work trip, but still had plenty of fun. I hope you have a great time!

20 Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes November 25, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I hope you have so much fun on your trip. You really do deserve this!
Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes recently posted..Green Lake Gobble Volunteering & 5k Race Recap

21 Nicole November 25, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Your trip sounds AWESOME!! Have a great time!!! Can’t wait to read about it on both of your blogs!!
Nicole recently posted..Captain Hopeful, reporting for duty!

22 Lindsay November 25, 2014 at 9:09 pm

As someone that visited Switzerland for my honeymoon for 2.5 weeks and ran a half marathon over there in Davos, it really is a spectacular country!

23 Taylor November 25, 2014 at 11:50 pm

I hope this trip is exactly what you need! Seems like such an amazing adventure. Have fun!

24 Christie of The butterfly Editions November 26, 2014 at 12:14 am

Thats so exciting, heading off on a new adventure is so much fun! After your year so far, you totally deserve a wonderful relaxing time away and wishing you all the best of fun and adventures for your holiday!
Christie of The butterfly Editions recently posted..5 Destinations I’d Love to Revisit

25 Kim November 26, 2014 at 9:50 am

I am a huge fan of Lorelai and Rory! It was so sad when the series ended, but I was so glad Rory said no to Logan and did her own thing. I like to think that Lorelai and Luke stayed together and finally figured it out. I was so mad at him for shutting her out when April came around. Also – I don’t think Rory and Logan ever reconciled. I think she found someone better for her in DC! haha. I love that I have her life planned out in my head.

Have an awesome trip!
Kim recently posted..That’s a Wrap

26 Melissa @ThatLastYear November 26, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Have a wonderful time Megs. Escapes are amazing and eye opening. 🙂 I hope to make a trip out that way soon too.
Melissa @ThatLastYear recently posted..Reflecting #2

27 Melissa November 26, 2014 at 3:12 pm

SPOILER ALERT!!!! AHHHH!!! Kidding 😉

Anyway, I didn’t read the last half of your post because I’m only at the beginning of Season 2. I’ll come back to this post later to read your thoughts on Gilmore Girls!

Have fun in Switzerland! I can’t wait to read your posts!
Melissa recently posted..Avoid these Tourist Traps in DC

28 Katie @ balanced RD December 1, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I hope you’re having a great trip! That sounds like such a great adventure!!!
Katie @ balanced RD recently posted..Thanksgiving