Rice

by Meghann on November 10, 2014

We had our first guests in the new house this weekend. My parents, little brother, and sister-in-law were in town for a VW show (my dad and brother were in old car heaven).

family november 2014

I can’t tell you what a difference it was to have guests in the new house versus the old one. There was just so much more space to comfortably fit 6 people (and two dogs). I’m actually excited to have more guests stay with us in the future. We just need to work on filling the extra rooms with real furniture as opposed to air mattresses…

The weekend was pretty quiet. While the boys played at the VW show on Saturday, my mom, sister-in-law and I did a little shopping and caught a matinee – The Best of Me. I recently finished reading The Best of Me, and, honestly, it wasn’t my favorite Nicholas Sparks novel. I found the storyline too similar to The Notebook, only The Notebook had more heart to it. I had higher hopes for the movie, but it failed to impress me. Besides wanting to rip James Marsden’s clothes off the entire film (did I just say that out loud?), I thought the actors overacted and it was too cheesy. Meh.

On Saturday night, we tried Korean BBQ for the first time.

20141108_190517

My dad and Derek drove by a Korean BBQ place when he visited in April and ever since then my dad has been bugging us to go. I had no idea what to expect, but I’m always up for trying new and different foods. We dined at RICE, which is an Asian food market/restaurant off of Hillsborough. It’s a very quaint place with circle grills in the middle of their tables.

The servers were very friendly and took pity on us rookies. Between the six of us, we had two orders of fried rice, a stir fry dish, pork belly, and two orders of Galbi (marinated short ribs). We ordered, and then the servers brought leaves of lettuce, an assortment of side dishes/topping, sauces, and rice. We were all starving, so we immediately dug in, creating lettuce wraps using the rice and presented toppings.  I think we may have been eating a little too ravenously because the server appeared somewhere around my second or third wrap and reminded our table to take it easy since we still had meat on its way. Whoops.

Before the meat was brought out, the grill was filled with a basket of hot coal and topped with what resembled a metal hub cab. The meat arrived with a set of tongs and a pair of kitchen scissors. The server silently placed the meat on the grill and then quickly disappeared.

Korean BBQ

From there, we just kept flipping the meat, not sure how to cut or serve the meat once it was finished. Eventually the server reappeared, gave us a look of pity (it was clear we had no idea what we were doing), and started cutting the meat with the scissors. Oh, got it.

We were better with the next rounds of meat and eventually got the hang of it. Everything was delicious, but the Galbi (marinated short ribs) was my favorite. And the best part about having the restaurant attached to an Asian food market, is we were able to all purchase a bottle of the Korean BBQ marinade on our way out. I have big plans for you.

I wouldn’t eat at RICE every weekend (our meals were a little $$), but the experience definitely made for a fun night. I’ll be back.

What’s the last new restaurant you tried?

1 Lindsey @ Simply Lindsey November 10, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Korean BBQ is definitely intimidating, but delicious! The last new restaurant I tried was a Chinese restaurant in Charlotte. It was pretty good!
Lindsey @ Simply Lindsey recently posted..Prosciutto and Mushroom Pizza with Garlic Butter Crust

2 Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots November 10, 2014 at 11:02 pm

The last new place I tried was a Mexican/Cajun place in Cambridge. I got swordfish tacos and they were delicious!
Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots recently posted..Life in Pictures #1

3 Linda @ TheFitty November 11, 2014 at 6:21 am

I love Korean barbecues but it’s so easy to overindulge on the protein and theyres marinated in sugar. It looks like you had a great time, but I wonder why they took pity on you because you were hungry?
Linda @ TheFitty recently posted..$1 PALEO BOOK SALE! + The List Of Things I’ll Never Get Done, The List of Things That Go On and On…

4 Susie @ SuzLyfe November 11, 2014 at 6:36 am

I love Korean BBQ, especially the sauces. My husband and I recently tried a new to us sushi restaurant and it has already supplanted all the others in our opinion!
Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted..Holiday Survival: Perfect 5-Ingredient Recipe

5 Danielle @ It's a Harleyyy Life November 11, 2014 at 7:08 am

I just started The Best of Me last night. So far 3 chapters in I enjoy it. I hope it stays that way haha.
Danielle @ It’s a Harleyyy Life recently posted..5 Mind Blowing Highlights from the CrossFit Invitational

6 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 11, 2014 at 8:01 am

I’ve never had Korean BBQ, but that sounds awesome. Since we just moved, I want to try every restaurant around us but I’m Disney bound in a month (just found out this weekend :D) so I need to save every penny!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..The Great Fence Debate!

7 Carrie (This Fit Chick) November 11, 2014 at 9:46 am

Haha thats funny about the meat! I would be like… what do I do? haha… the last restaurant I went to was a Greek one!
Carrie (This Fit Chick) recently posted..Gobble Gobble!

8 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner November 11, 2014 at 11:30 am

We have a Korean restaurant in town that we get takeout from, and it’s amazing! I’m not a huge meat person, but their barbecued beef is fantastic.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Ready for the Holidays

9 Courtney November 11, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I haven’t been able to read any comments written by others in a while. Is that by design? I tried a couple browsers, so I don’t think it is me.. but that’s entirely possible!
Courtney recently posted..Everything is AWESOME (Weekly Workouts)

10 Meghann November 17, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I think it’s a bug in the latest Wordpress update. I’ve tried dissecting it on my own, but will need to hire a web guy to help me solve the problem. If you look at the mobile version of my site, you’re still able to read the comments there. I’m sorry for the error!

11 Jess November 14, 2014 at 6:51 am

Korean bbq is awesome. The places c I’ve been to they cook the meat for you.

12 Katherine November 14, 2014 at 7:01 pm

The next time you visit LA you should check out Koreatown! There are a ton of delicious restaurants. Half the time I go there the menu is in Korean so I’m never sure what I’m ordering but in 3 years of working and eating in the neighborhood I’ve never had a bad meal.

13 Meghann November 17, 2014 at 8:11 pm

That’s where my twin brother goes! He’s already told me he’s taking me next time I visit.

14 Lize Brittin November 15, 2014 at 12:09 pm

There’s a really great restaurant called Riffs that’s right across the street from where I work in Boulder on the Pearl Street Mall. I tried it not long ago and loved it! The cuisine is modern with a focus on local and organic fare. The flavors are bold and interesting, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who visits Boulder!
Lize Brittin recently posted..Pave du Nord