Weekend Roundup

by Meghann on November 2, 2014

Happy Sunday!

I’m not sure how the weather was where you were, but we had a pretty incredible weekend of cool temps and blue skies in Central Florida.

20141101_142126

Can it be this amazing year-round? Because that would be awesome. thankyouverymuch

The theme for the weekend was to spend as much time outside as possible.

Saturday kicked off with a 6 mile run. I wore my IRONMAN Florida shirt in honor of all my friends racing that morning.

1507604_10105265739482713_6360507993516991495_n

Unfortunately right after I snapped that picture I discovered the swim for this year’s race had been cancelled. While I know the right decision was made (bad winds + riptide = unsafe conditions), I can still understand the sense of disappointment all the athletes felt for missing those 2.4 miles from their 140.6. I actually had nightmares about the same thing happening last year. However, all of this year’s athletes more than earned their IRONMAN titles. They may have missed the swim, but they fought through tough winds, colder than normal temperatures, and still made it to the finish line with smiles on their faces. Congrats to all of the 2014 IRONMAN Florida finishers! Way to fight like hell and take the day by the horns.

Derek and I spent the rest of the morning at local park, where we had a picnic by a lake.

Picnic

20141101_124005

20141101_130521

While Derek watched football, Maddie and I went for a long walk and discovered a new trail near our house.

maddiewalk

Just another reason to love our new neighborhood. 🙂

When I realized the weather was going to be so nice over the weekend, I made the last minute decision to register for a local 5K on Sunday. So after enjoying my extra hour of sleep this morning, I bundled up and headed down to Lake Park to run the Buddy Run 5K.

20141102_074700

The Buddy Run 5K is a small, local 5K with about 300 participants. The event is organized by Buddy Baseball, which is a non-competitive recreational league for boys and girls with special needs. Each player is paired with a “Buddy” to assist the player as needed. 100% of the proceeds from the 5K benefits the organization.

Buddy Run 5K

The 5K route covered some rocky running trails of Lake Park, which also meant it was a good excuse to test out my new Brooks PureGirt Trail Running Shoes I recently received.

20141102_084215

From Brooks: The lightweight shoe connects you to the terrain as it responds and protects you from its tricky elements. An outsole peppered with hex lugs delivers maximum grip, while a ballistic rock shield protects your foot from rocks and roots on the trail. A toe guard provides protection and added traction when the trail gets steep.

I’ve run a few trail races over the years, but this was my first pair of actual trail running shoes. I could definitely feel a difference with the grippiness of the bottom and my stability in the rocks and sand. They even held their own on the short asphalt segments of the run. I’d like to wear them for some more advanced running trails and really put them to the test.

20141102_074015

The race started a 8:00am. It was still freezing (per Florida standards) and I debated wearing my jacket for the race, but ended up sticking with my original plan of arm sleeves and a tank top.

20141102_075545

When in doubt, always layer down before a race. You may be cold at the start, but it gets warm pretty quickly.

20141102_075828

I left my Garmin at home and decided just to enjoy the run. As I’ve done zero speed training, I didn’t want to put any pressure on this race. It was a beautiful day to run for a great cause and my plan was to just leave it at that.

20141102_080201

I put my iPod on, lined up with the crowd, and repeatedly told myself not to start too fast. When the gun went off, I held back the best I could and started with a tough, yet comfortable pace that I felt I could hold for all 3.1 miles.

20141102_081350

After the initial bolt, I noticed a handful of women pull head. They were slightly older (think 40s and 50s), which meant if I held my positioning and pace, I had the possibility of winning my age group. I know, I know – this was supposed to be a no-pressure race, but when you realize you have the chance to win your age group, you hang onto it.

I kept my pace quick (well, my current version of “quick”) and steady, but never pushed beyond my limits. It was just enough to give myself a good workout, without feeling like death the whole way (ugh. I hate that feeling). Whatever I did, it worked. I was able to hold the pace consistently and never feel the need to drop. I even re-passed a few people who had passed me in the beginning.

The 5k went quick and, before I knew it, I was heading back to the finish line.

20141102_083221

I crossed the finish line in 26:02 – good enough for 1st in 25-29 female and 6th overall female. 🙂

20141102_093035

Not bad. Not bad at all. You have to love local 5ks. 😉

I celebrated the finish with my first Starbucks red cup of the season.

20141102_095210

(grande misto with one pump pumpkin spice)

And french toast.

20141102_102058

(with almond butter and cinnamon apples – yum!)

The rest of the day was dedicated to lawn work, reading People by the pool, and prepping for the work week. I hate that this weather won’t stick around forever. Hopefully this is just a sign of what’s to come for the rest of the winter!

How was your weekend?

1 Alisha @ Real Girl Running November 2, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Well done on your 5k win! You have to take ’em when you can 🙂

I’m totally jealous of your beautiful weather and picnic spread … all the cheese and goodies look amazing. I think I should add a picnic to my to do soon list 🙂

I had a lovely weekend that was pretty normal for us, but that’s just the way I like it. The highlight was visiting a local fresh produce market to stock up on fresh fruit, vegies and meat. I also managed to snag a super fresh turkish pide and parmesan and spinach dip that I used for my own mini picnic in my lounge room. Next time I’ll take it outside!
Alisha @ Real Girl Running recently posted..How I Love Weekends

2 Mary November 3, 2014 at 3:17 am

Well done on first lady in your age category! I’m in the 26min range for a 5k but usually end up at the bottom of the list for Senior Female.
I love being able to head out for a picnic this time of year. There’s something so lovely about sitting out with the changing leaves all around. I’m sure the snow will come soon enough though!
Mary recently posted..A Halloween run and a birthday

3 Pip {Cherries & Chisme} November 3, 2014 at 3:57 am

Congrats!! That sounds like such a great cause as well.
Slightly different weather in the UK – beautiful sunny Saturday when I was inside studying and then a cold windy wet Sunday for me run haha!
Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted..Putting your mind where your mouth is

4 Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy November 3, 2014 at 5:11 am

Looks like an awesome week. Your 5k time is really competitive, just over 5minutes per km!
Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted..40-Calorie Spooky Banana Ghosts! (3 INGREDIENTS)

5 TK November 3, 2014 at 5:44 am

Hey, congrats on your win! You’re pretty fast even without training!

Just a suggestion, it may be better to not publish other people’s race info on your website to respect their privacy.

6 Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots November 3, 2014 at 7:11 am

My weekend was spent indoors since the weather was nasty. It snowed for the first time this season in Boston!
Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots recently posted..Catching Up Part 4: The Part You’ve Been Waiting For

7 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 3, 2014 at 7:35 am

LOL, I seriously just have to laugh. This weekend the highs were in the 40s and the lows were in the 30s where I live. It wasn’t too brutal, but it wasn’t anything like your weekend haha. Congrats on your 5K!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..My Weekend: Couch Shopping, 12 Hours of Cheerleading, and Laziness

8 PeachyLau November 3, 2014 at 8:25 am

Where to start?
Your picnic board looks amazing, especially with all the cheese and the saucisson (I am French).
Well done for being first in your age category, that’s pretty awesome!
My weekend was spent between the gym studying and a gin tasting session!
PeachyLau recently posted..Links I’d like to share with you #2 – motivation

9 [email protected] November 3, 2014 at 8:41 am

Did you receive anything for your 1st place AG finish?
[email protected] recently posted..Rex Wellness Sprint Triathlon Knightdale Recap

10 Carrie (This Fit Chick) November 3, 2014 at 10:38 am

YAY! I got my red cup too- had to go when they came out! What a lovely picnic!
Carrie (This Fit Chick) recently posted..Gobble Gobble!

11 Melissa @ThatLastYear November 3, 2014 at 11:10 am

Hey lady! What are those green shoes you’re wearing in that shot of you walking Maddie? They kind of look like the old school brooks I’ve been seeing around; I was talking to the Brooks rep the other night about the red ones he had on. Diggin’ it!
Melissa @ThatLastYear recently posted..Reflecting No. 1

12 Meghann November 4, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Yep, they’re from the Brooks heritage collection. I blogged about them here: http://mealsandmiles.com/2014/09/17/new-kicks/.

13 Jamie @ Wandering Portlander November 3, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Sounds like a fun race! I’ve been debating picking up a pair of pure grit shoes for my trail runs. Glad to hear you liked them.
Jamie @ Wandering Portlander recently posted..Holiday Coffee and Weekly Goals

14 Katie @ Balanced RD November 3, 2014 at 1:30 pm

That sounds like a fun race! Good job on taking first for your age division 🙂 I just signed up for a 10k so I am trying to find some running motivation!
Katie @ Balanced RD recently posted..Teaching Group Fitness Classes

15 Caroline @ The Little Things Blog November 3, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Congrats on your age group place!! That sounds like a really fun run 🙂 After 2 years of trying, I finally set a new half marathon PR this weekend! http://www.thelittlethingsblog.com/indianapolis-monumental-half-marathon-race-recap-2014/
Caroline @ The Little Things Blog recently posted..MONUMENTAL HALF MARATHON TRAINING WEEK 10 RECAP {2014}

16 Tray November 4, 2014 at 10:36 am

Congrats on placing!!! Your weekend sounds fabulous, and I’m drooling over your french toast!
Tray recently posted..Facing and Overcoming Fears

17 Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes November 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm

That’s so exciting! CONGRATS! Did you get a medal for finishing first? I finished third once and was supposed to get a medal in the mail but never did. 🙁 I do love local races for this reason though!
Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes recently posted..Get Your Rear In Gear 5k Race Recap