Happy Halloween

by Meghann on October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!!

MaddieHalloween

Maddie Collage

For some reason, I’m really feeling the Halloween spirit this year. Maybe it’s the fact my office has been completely decked out in decorations since October 1st?

office halloween decorations

Seriously, how awesome are my co-workers? They announced a Halloween decorating contest towards the end of September and everyone went nuts! I love it. Nothing like a quick walk around the office to make you smile.

Or that I finally live in a neighborhood full of kids and Halloween decorations?

halloween decorations

Multiple neighbors have orange lights, blow-up ghosts, and mini graveyards in their front yards. I’ve never seen so many houses decked out for Halloween. Since this is our first year in the new house, I still have no idea what to expect for Halloween. Will our house have a ton of trick-or-treaters or barely any at all? I’m stocking up on the good candy just in case. I haven’t lived anywhere with trick-or-treaters since I was a little girl (we moved to a main road when I was 14 and never had any after that), so I’m looking forward to seeing all the costumes and handing out candy tonight.

Per our Halloween tradition, Derek and I spent Wednesday night carving a pumpkin.

20141029_080222

I decided to mix it up a little bit this year and splurged on a pumpkin carving kit, complete with fun carving templates.

20141029_193153

I played it safe by selecting the “easy” template and, let me tell you, I’m glad I did. If that was “easy,” then there’s a good chance I would have thrown any of the harder ones at the wall. How do people make pumpkin carving looks so effortless? Even with the template, I had a hard time carving the exact lines and a lot of areas took multiple attempts to get right.

20141029_201213

I was really nervous how it was going to turn out (especially the eyes and the mouth), but thankfully my bat looked like a bat and not the pile of poo I was expecting.

pumpkin carving

All set and ready for trick-or-treaters!

And you can’t forget the best part about carving a pumpkin..

20141029_201656

Roasted pumpkin seeds!

20141029_204552

I kept it simple with just some salt and pepper. Sometimes a classic is meant to stay a classic. 😉

Derek and I have a pretty sweet Halloween planned tonight – watching Hocus Pocus and handing out candy. Are we adults, or what?

Do you have any big plans? Are you dressing up this year?

Oh, and I can’t forget to wish GOOD LUCK to all of the IRONMAN Florida athletes racing tomorrow!

IMG_1851

I can’t believe it’s been a full year since my #IronSiblings and I swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran for 26.2 miles. One year later and the memory of that finish line remains one of my favorite “happy places.” That feeling of exhilaration and accomplishment just can’t be beat; a year later and that race high is still going strong.

IMG_2012

So how do I feel a year after finishing Ironman Florida? Slow! I still look back at my race times and think “how the hell did I do that?!” Life can change a lot in a year and I’m definitely in a different place now than I was a year ago. One day I’ll get back to to that place, but for now I have other goals and dreams I’m focusing on (like starting a family).

And where are the #IronSiblings now?

Well, technically my sister was already pregnant with little Owen when she crossed the finish line of Ironman Florida (she just didn’t know it yet). She continued to run through her pregnancy and is currently easing back into her fitness routine post-birth. She has her heart set on a spring half marathon and recently told me she’s finally ready to hop back on her bike (that’s right – she hasn’t been on her bike since Panama City).

Ben kept training through the winter/spring and finished Ironman Haines City 70.3 in April. He’s been casually riding his bike since then, but does not  have any current training goals. He was hoping to register for the 2015 Ironman Maryland, but other life events took priority (like the house he and his wife are building).

I went a little crazy running half marathons post-Ironman (Wine & Dine, Best Damn Race Safety Harbor, Gasparilla, Best Damn Race Orlando, Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego, Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle) and finished a sprint triathlon in July. I’ve ridden my bike exactly three times since Ironman Florida, but I keep telling myself I should ride it more. I’m currently taking a break from training and have simply been enjoying easy runs around the neighborhood.

I miss training with them. I don’t have quite as many excuses to hang out with them as I used to. 😉

IMG_20131103_073211

Once again, good luck Ironman Florida athletes! Remember to trust your training and enjoy the ride – you’re in for one hell of a race.

1 Goldie October 31, 2014 at 9:12 am

oh my goodness! Maddie’s outfit is ADORABLE!!! I laughed out loud when I saw it!

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 31, 2014 at 9:39 am

I’m definitely not feeling the Halloween spirit this year but I think it’s just because it’s been so crazy that it’s been the last thing on my mind as I prep for 50 States stuff. But I did put on some cat ears yesterday at the office so that counts, right? 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Weekly Workouts

3 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 31, 2014 at 9:48 am

Happy Halloween! I love Maddie’s costume. I’m Robin Sparkles this year, and my husband and I have the same plan: watch a Halloween movie (probably Ghostbusters or Nightmare Before Christmas) and hand out candy. I bet I’ll see a million Elsa’s tonight!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Apple Cider Chicken and David Sedaris

4 Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate October 31, 2014 at 9:49 am

Reading your Ironman recap is so inspiring! I live in Madison so I hope to do the Ironman WI in a few years!!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted..Spooky Halloween Workout

5 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine October 31, 2014 at 9:59 am

Such a fun office!
Carving pumpkin is so difficult! I think I did it maybe once? Years ago…..but I’d rather just roast them up and eat them, haha! So much easier 😉

6 Carrie (This Fit Chick) October 31, 2014 at 10:40 am

YAY happy halloween! I love the pumpkin!

7 Susie @ SuzLyfe October 31, 2014 at 10:45 am

Tell Maddie she looks fabulous! Is it terrible that I can’t wait until I have a dog again so that I can dress it up? We had a “Bat Dog” costume for our Labs and Champ (my buddy, a yellow lab) actually loved wearing it–a shirt and a cape. Peach (our black lab–confusing I know, haha) wanted nothing to do with our shenanigans. We had a Milkbone costume for her. She was not amused. My husband and I have a cat (Zoe) who wants about as much to do with being annoyed in general. But my friend Ange (Cowgirl Runs) just got the BEST cat costume. You have to check it out!
Happy Halloween! I’ll be drinking pumpkin beer and eating chocolate. In Pjs. WHAT UP.
Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted..Favorite Halloween Costumes from my Past

8 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed October 31, 2014 at 10:55 am

Your office looks SO fun!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..My Weekend: Couch Shopping, 12 Hours of Cheerleading, and Laziness

9 Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy October 31, 2014 at 11:43 am

I sure want to work where you work. looks awesome, even better than my house!
Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted..40-Calorie Spooky Banana Ghosts! (3 INGREDIENTS)

10 Lindsey @ SimplyLindsey October 31, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Your pumpkins turned out really good! Pumpkin seeds are my favorite part of pumpkin carving. 🙂 We’re not dressing up tonight because we need to prep for company coming into town tomorrow, but I’m sure we’ll see some trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood!
Lindsey @ SimplyLindsey recently posted..Friday Favorites Pt. 6

11 Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes October 31, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Oh wow! You weren’t lying when you said your office was all decked out! I thought I was decked out with my scarecrows and pumpkin lights but you’ve got me beat!
Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes recently posted..5 Things Friday – Happy Halloween!

12 Haley @ Running with diapers October 31, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Your pumpkin came out pretty good. I’m lucky my husband is so good at carving pumpkins, because my attempt would be terrible.
I hope you guys have a good time handing out candy in your new neighborhood. It’s our first halloween in a new neighborhood too. I don’t know how many trick-or-treaters to expect, but I only have one bag of candy so I hope it lasts.
Haley @ Running with diapers recently posted..Friday Five: Halloween Edition

13 Alisha @ Real Girl Running October 31, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Wow – those Halloween decorations are amazing! It is lovely to see how close you and your family are, and how much you all have achieved – you should all be really proud! And all the other things you have to look forward to as a family are so exciting 🙂
Alisha @ Real Girl Running recently posted..Fun Day Friday, Halloween and Other Melb Events

14 Traci November 2, 2014 at 1:48 am

Your pumpkin turn out great! And your workplace decorations are out of control spooky. So much fun.
Traci recently posted..Sometimes, Play for Play’s Sake