We Painted!

by Meghann on October 22, 2014

I feel like after you buy a house, every weekend thereafter is instantly dedicated to the house. We spent over an hour at Home Depot last Friday night finalizing our paint decisions and overanalyzing all of the supplies we needed. Our color of choice was Universal Grey by Glidden.

IMG_20141018_103741

On Saturday I went for my morning run, we had breakfast, and then Derek put College Game Day on and we got to business.

IMG_20141018_153030

It actually worked out well that there were some pretty great college football games to watch while we painted, and that FSU didn’t play until the evening. The other games were just interesting enough to have on in the background, and we were already done by the time the FSU game came on (there’s no way we would have been able to watch that game and concentrate on painting at the same time).

Derek and I quickly fell into our respective rolls. He was in charge of taping and the edges, while I took on rolling. Maddie was in charge of watching the couch. It was a hard job, but someone had to do it.

20141018_113506

It took us the majority of the day (including an additional trip to Home Depot for more supplies) and two coats to finish the living room. Overall I’m really happy with it. The lighter color really lightens and opens up the room.

IMG_4988

Unfortunately we’re not done yet. Instead of going crazy painting both the living room and the connecting kitchen (gotta love open concepts!) in one weekend, we decided to split it up. So we drew an imaginary line down the middle and plan to tackle the kitchen in a couple of weeks.

The kitchen is going to be the real beast – all those edges! Yikes!

We had another big purchase this weekend – a new TV!

IMG_20141021_065338

We invited a few friends over to watch the FSU game on Saturday and sometime around the second Jack & coke (I kid! I kid!), Derek decided we needed a bigger tv to fit the space. He obviously didn’t need to twist my arm. 😉

We plan to mount the TV on the wall and possibly upgrade the entertainment center. We also still need new covers for the couches (I feel like I could dedicate a whole post to my love/hate relationship with the couches), hang curtains, stain the coffee table/end tables, hang stuff on the wall, and redo the floors, BUT those things will come in time.

IMG_4981

In the mean time, it’s time to take advantage of that new TV! I still have three more seasons of Gilmore Girls to work my way through! 😉

1 Monica October 22, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I love your carpet!

2 Carrie (This Fit Chick) October 22, 2014 at 10:32 pm

the room looks so good! that color goes so well with the pillows and rug!
Carrie (This Fit Chick) recently posted..Do You Even Protein?

3 Alisha @ Real Girl Running October 22, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Great job you guys! You make it sounds relatively painless, but I happen to know painting is a pain in the butt 🙂
Alisha @ Real Girl Running recently posted..Recent (Health-related) Reads

4 Kay October 23, 2014 at 2:49 am

I also just got a new TV, and I’m loving it. It’s always one of those things you immediately see the benefits of. 🙂

The paint color looks great. I love grey tones around the house. Makes everything look good, imo.
Kay recently posted..What I ate Wednesday

5 Haley @ Running with diapers October 23, 2014 at 5:17 am

We have been in our new house 7 weeks and we still havent decided on paint. I’m itching to do it, but we just haven’t had the time with my hubby’s travel schedule. Yours is looking good. I like the color.
Haley @ Running with diapers recently posted..A Day in the Life: Balancing a Newborn with a Toddler

6 Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy October 23, 2014 at 6:32 am

Have you ditched your workouts just to paint the house faster? 🙂
Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted..What Your Breakfast Says About You

7 Lindsey @ SimplyLindsey October 23, 2014 at 7:32 am

The paint looks fantastic!! I love the color and it looks great with your rug!
Lindsey @ SimplyLindsey recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

8 Abby Schock October 23, 2014 at 9:02 am

I love the color! Our whole house is almost the same color as your living room was and I am SO over it. Gray may be the way to go 🙂
Abby Schock recently posted..A Necessary Shopping Embargo

9 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed October 23, 2014 at 9:22 am

I feel like a fresh coat of paint can really transform a space! We painted a bedroom & our kitchen before we moved in… in the few trips we took to home depot my debit card was compromised and had to be canceled. I just had the same thing happened to a second card too. I’m not sure if it was home depot again (but it really may have been because I don’t use the card many places)… so I might be a faithful Lowe’s customer now (we have both in the area). Anyway, looks great! I’m looking forward to seeing what you hang on the walls. I have so many pieces of art that we inherited from my husband’s grandparents as well as our own stuff and just thinking about where all of it should go is pretty overwhelming!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Tomorrow!

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 23, 2014 at 10:10 am

We bought our house 5 years ago, and we’re still remodeling! Home ownership is an ongoing process. I love it when I find someone else who loves Gilmore Girls as much as I do. Enjoy!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..In Defense Of Car Camping

11 Jessica October 23, 2014 at 10:19 am

We chose that color for our bedroom! It has a slightly more blue undertone to my eye than I thought I’d like but I love it.

12 Reenie October 23, 2014 at 11:07 am

“I feel like after you buy a house, every weekend thereafter is instantly dedicated to the house.” ….. and 12 years later it’s still like that ~ for me anyway. 😉

The color looks great ~ really brightens it up. Love the rug also ~ is it from Target?

Still can’t see any of the comments…. which I love to read. 🙁

13 Meghann October 23, 2014 at 11:31 am

Yep, it’s Target! That’s so strange about the comments. I’ve checked all the settings and they all look right. I can see the comments in the mobile version – have you tried that?

14 Jamie @ Wandering Portlander October 23, 2014 at 11:27 am

A new, big TV for Gilmore Girls? That sounds like an amazing idea! The paint job looks great. Looks like you had a little helper who liked to hang around while you worked too.
Jamie @ Wandering Portlander recently posted..Things Never Go as Planned

15 Jessica October 23, 2014 at 11:57 am

I have that same rug…in light blue…bought it last weekend at Target and I LOOOOVE IT

16 Anne October 23, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Looks great! I loved painting. Good luck with the kitchen. It took me 6 hours just to tape the damn thing. UGH! I’m glad I loved the color, because NEVER AGAIN!

17 Beth October 23, 2014 at 12:33 pm

That color does look nice! I currently live in the land of Boy Brown. I must fix that before the party. Lol! And I love Maddie.
Beth recently posted..Life Lately

18 Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots October 23, 2014 at 12:44 pm

The living room looks great! I love painting the house 🙂 It’s hard work, but also fun
Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots recently posted..Catching Up Part 3: Into the Tetons and the Best Hike Ever

19 Danielle October 23, 2014 at 1:59 pm

It looks great babe! I can’t wait to see all the DIY you do in your house! So exciting!

20 Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes October 23, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Your new home looks beautiful so far! Sounds like you guys have a lot of projects planned but it will all be worth it! 🙂
Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes recently posted..What Little Luxuries Make You Feel Special?