Bye, Bye, Boring Walls

by Meghann on October 13, 2014

Another Monday, another weekend gone.

First of all, congrats to everyone who raced this weekend! I had a blast following everyone’s Chicago Marathon updates! It looks like everyone had perfect racing weather and lots of hefty PRs!

Also, how clever were the runner tracking updates for Chicago? I want to run this race again just to have the fun updates!

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 8.54.02 PM

Oh, and an extra congrats to Michelle who killed her goal time! I couldn’t be prouder.

The updates definitely gave me the racing itch. I hope to share some upcoming race goals shortly. 😉

While everyone was running this weekend, Derek and I dedicated our weekend to working on the house. We took care of a few mundane tasks such as changing light bulbs, cleaning the pool (a process that involved Facetiming my dad to teach us how to use the pump <- what have we gotten ourselves into?!),  and finally pulling the plug on testing paint samples for the living room.

20141011_121733

There was a point there where I thought I could live with the color of the living room (the idea of painting made my exhausted head spin), but then I started hanging photos and it hit me how much I hated it. So I went out and immediately brought home some paint chips to review, then we narrowed the colors down to three and bought some paint samples.

20141012_091848

We painted the samples in three different spots around the living room and are going to sit on it for a week. The goal is to finalize a color by Friday and spend next weekend painting.

20141012_104505

Who’s free for a paint party next weekend?

On Sunday it took more time than I care to admit to hang a gallery wall in the dining room.

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 9.18.18 PM

I already posted this on Instagram, but if you want to test a marriage – hang a gallery wall. Let’s just say there was a lot of questioning of which way was best to hang the photos properly. We eventually got a system down and were thrilled with the final product.

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 9.20.57 PM

I’ll need to share some updated house photos after we paint the living room. We’ve actually made a lot of progress with setting the office and dining room up. Once we have the living room painted and everything hung on the walls, I’ll be happy. I’m going to save setting the guest rooms up until we have furniture to go in there. A house is a never ending project, right?

What color is your living room? Are you a neutral or something bright?

1 Carrie (This Fit Chick) October 13, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I LOVE the gallery wall! So so cute. I don’t have a ‘living room’… only a studio, haha, but the walls are white… boring!
Carrie (This Fit Chick) recently posted..Just, FOOD!

2 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed October 13, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Looks good so far! We just did a light gray in our spare bedroom and we used Sherwin Williams March Wind. We’re planning on doing our living room in a beigy tan with a dark purpley gray accent wall! Picking out paint colors is so hard, but I highly recommend google imaging your paint color to see what it actually looks like on people’s walls. I think I’m addicted to paint chips and free design hand outs 🙂 We’re moving this weekend and I cannot wait to head to Ikea, Home Goods, TJ Maxx, etc haha.
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Our Wedding Recap Part 5: The Ceremony

3 Alisha @ Real Girl Running October 14, 2014 at 12:31 am

Can I just say I LOVE the pumpkin on your kitchen table!!! 🙂
Alisha @ Real Girl Running recently posted..Sunday fun

4 Megan S October 14, 2014 at 1:05 am

My living room is actually Gentle Rain by Behr! I really like it but sometimes wish I had gone with a straighter grey. Even after looking at samples up on the wall in different lights we were still both surprised at how bluey/ lavender it read when the whole room was done. Especially in unnatural/ evening light. Great color if that’s what you’re going for but something to be aware of. Just wanted to pass that along. Happy painting!

5 Goldie October 14, 2014 at 3:05 am

Our walls are yellow in the living room! When I moved in they were a really dark grey and I couldn’t bear to be in it because it was so miserable. Now I love it. All the other rooms are a neutral magnolia. Super boring BUT it does make furniture shopping a lot easier.

I LOOOOVE your picture gallery!

Also, we’ve been in our house nearly 3 years and there are still rooms that need painting!

I’m inspired. I might go get some paint this weekend 😉
Goldie recently posted..Oh I am the dumbest of them all…

6 Laureen @peachylau October 14, 2014 at 4:47 am

The gallery wall looks amazing!
Laureen @peachylau recently posted..Bristol Half-Marathon race recap part 1

7 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine October 14, 2014 at 5:04 am

O man, we just have a boring old paste white living room! I do not like it haha! I want something bold!

8 Lindsey @ SimplyLindsey October 14, 2014 at 5:57 am

I tend to be drawn toward more neutral or earthy tones for living rooms (and other rooms too!). It seems like they transition better from room to room. But I’ve seen some great bold colors work wonderfully in kitchens and living rooms too!
Lindsey @ SimplyLindsey recently posted..Favorite Childhood Memories

9 Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy October 14, 2014 at 6:17 am

The living room is a plain white, but I think I’d rather have it a mature, lighter/darker colour, maybe red. 🙂
Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted..My Melancholy Lead Me To Become “That Friend…”

10 Susie @ SuzLyfe October 14, 2014 at 6:46 am

I wish we could paint our living room, but we are stuck in renter land of builder basic white (with no time to really do anything about it, haha. My living room growing up was yellow, but I think we would be blinded by that in our current place! My aspiration when we moved here was to do a temporary wall paper, but yeah, that never happened.
Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted..Now what? Fitness Aspirations for my Future

11 Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate October 14, 2014 at 7:32 am

Oh my gosh, I have been putting off hanging a gallery wall for quite some time. I am hoping to get it done by the end of the month, but I think I need to call a lifeline (my mom) to come help!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted..Wedding Recap: Getting Ready

12 Courtney October 14, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Our living room is a lovely Builder Grade Beige.. but I do actually like it. I only painted one room when we moved in and spilled enough teal paint on the carpet to get myself banned from any future paint projects.
Courtney recently posted..Psycho Wyco 50k (AKA 23 miles) and Kansas 5150

13 Kirsten October 14, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I used “Olympic white” by Sherwin Williams, it’s a light gray color. I love gray in living rooms, good choice!

14 amichele October 14, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Go with the Behr. You will regret using cheap paint.

15 Kendra October 14, 2014 at 3:55 pm

We just painted out living room Gentle Rain and I ADORE it!! So much so that I selected the lighter color from the same swatch (called Subtle Touch) and painted the rest of the house in it too. You will love it if you pick that one!

— Kendra

16 Michelle October 14, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Thanks for the shoutout! I am so pumped about the race – and yes, the updates were so fun!! I’ve considered giving up marathons, but umm.. I’m gonna have to race Chicago again. I think I’m still on a high.

The collage looks great. I’ve had big plans to do one for years. I have all been collecting pictures and frames… and they are just hanging around in storage.

A house is a never-ending project for sure. Sigh.
Michelle recently posted..Chicago Magic

17 Molly Rose October 14, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I am definitely a neutral … your gallery wall looks great! I don’t doubt for a second that hanging it tested your marriage. My husband and I went back and forth for a half hour on how high to hang a canvas. One canvas.

Looking forward to hearing your running goals! 🙂
Molly Rose recently posted..HOT Run 10k Recap

18 Lauren October 14, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I love your art wall! It is a pretty daunting task – it’s on my to do list but I’m a little nervous to begin it!
Lauren recently posted..The Weekend Report

19 Reenie October 15, 2014 at 10:52 am

Once you paint, you’ll think ~ why didn’t I do this sooner!! Love the colors that you are choosing from. In my opinion ~ there is no right or wrong way to hang a gallery wall. An easy way to do it is to cut newspaper ~ the same size of all the frames and tape them up to the wall ~ and move them around until you like them. Or lay the frames out on the floor and do the same ~ move them around. I think it looks great and am glad you’re still married. HA!!

What color is your living room? Are you a neutral or something bright?
Living Room: Light Kahki/Beige (painted 12 years ago ~ but now would love to paint it grey)
Dining Room & Small Hallway: Golden Yellow
Kitchen: Red
Computer Room/Laundry: Pale Green
Bathroom: Red, White & Blue (painted 12 yrs ago ~ want to change though to grey w/yellow accents ~ shower curtain)
Master Bedroom: Light Grey
Spare Room: a Greenish-Grey

20 Tricia October 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I love your photo wall! Very cute! I had one in my old apartment and loved it! 🙂
Tricia recently posted..Tips and Tricks for Treating Plantar Fasciitis

21 Christine @ BookishlyB October 15, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Not to sound like an uppity money-throwing homeowner, but have you guys thought of getting a pool guy? We tried doing our own for almost a year and it ended up way too stressful and problematic. In the long run it’s $100 a month well spent.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

22 AndreaClaire October 15, 2014 at 9:37 pm

If you’re willing to pay for the plane ticket from Victoria, I’m free next weekend 😉

After (almost) 8 years in my temporary rental place, I’ve finally decided it’s time to do something with the place to make it more ‘me’. (Love the location, love my building managers, housing prices here are too ridiculous to buy a place.) I’ll be looking for some inspiration. No pressure 🙂

Good luck with all the fun house jobs in your future!

23 Kelly October 16, 2014 at 11:35 am

I used to be all about saturated colors and I still have them in my master bedroom and guest bath, but I’m starting to see the value of neutrals – much easier to decorate around if you switch up your decor down the road. I think waiting until you have furniture in the room to decide what color to paint it smart. It’s the big reason I’ve been putting off painting my main living area (living room, kitchen, hallway) because I wanted to get the bulk of my decor down first and then choose a paint color. There are SO many colors available that it is easier to choose your paint around your furniture, etc. than the other way around. The other tip I learned is to put the paint swatches on different walls as the color really can look different in different parts of the room depending on the lighting (i.e. near window or not).
Kelly recently posted..Smoked Eggplant and Goat Cheese Dip

24 Kathy October 19, 2014 at 11:01 pm

We have a gallery wall and it was a major challenge to everyone’s patience! I’ve since learned a great trick…cut paper in the shapes and sizes of all your frames and then you can stick them on the wall with tape in a million variations before you make the final decision…sorry this is too late for you but it looks like it turned out great!