AcroYoga and Pound

by Meghann on October 6, 2014

Good evening, friends. How was everyone’s weekend?

Well Friday I played the old lady card and was fast asleep by 9:30. It wasn’t on a purpose, it just so happened that I was on the couch and my eyes refused to stay open any longer. The older I get, the more I feel like one of those dolls where every time you lay them down their eyes shut automatically. That’s me after 8:00pm. Lay me down and my eyes will shut, not to be opened again until my alarm goes off the next day.

On Saturday I had the opportunity to try two new-to-me workouts:

Have you ever heard of AcroYoga? It’s a newish style of partner yoga that combines acrobatics and yoga so you end up with cool positions like this:

20141004_114318

Cool, right?

Basically it’s one of those things I wouldn’t have thought to try in a million years, but after a super, super beginner session on Saturday, I’m now obsessed with it. Both partners require a lot of strength, balance, and trust to make any of the positions work.

After being wowed by just how talented our instructors were, our group partnered up to try some basic introduction positions. First, we took turns flying and being the base for what I dubbed the “freebird.”

20141004_112728

And then practiced going from a partnered plank position, to a box.

beginneracroyoga

Let me tell you, my arms and core were done after acting as both the flyer and the base for each of them. I haven’t felt that worked after a yoga class since my days at Orlando Power Yoga (I still miss that studio). It totally inspired me to try AcroYoga again. There’s an AcroYoga Tampa Bay Facebook page that promotes local AcroYoga events (“AcroJams”) and workshops. I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for another super beginner workshop to learn more of the basics. I doubt I’ll ever truly master it, but it’s still fun to try and attempt.

The second class was a new workout called Pound.

20141004_142201

It’s a high intensity group workout class that incorporates drumsticks (there’s a great YouTube video about it HERE). After struggling to find my rhythm in a Zumba and Fierce Fitness class I’d taken earlier in the day, I immensely enjoyed the sharp movements of the Pound class – no rhythm required. It actually reminded me more of my cheerleading days where the goal was to hit a sharp, precise movement, rather than being “loosey, goosey.”

20141004_141419

Banging the hell out of the floor and overhead with the drum sticks was also a lot of fun. It’s definitely not a workout you could do at a second-floor apartment, but it’s really fun with a room full of people all doing the same thing (it sounds cool, too). The workout requires you to be in either a low, wide squat position where you’re hitting the sticks side-to-side or in front; or on the floor with your legs up in the air and hitting the sticks in various directions. At the end, both my quads and core were burning.

20141004_142025

Pound is still fairly new to the area, with only a limited number of classes being offered. I’m usually not a huge fan of group fitness classes, but I would definitely take this one again. Especially when I’ve had a bad day and need an excuse to hit things.

Sunday was amazing. After weeks of hot, rainy weather we finally lucked out with a bit of a cool, dry spell. My morning run was one of the best I’ve had in a while, and it was even cool enough to eat lunch outside.

20141005_133046

Mary joined us for Asian Tofu Lettuce Wraps <- so easy to make and delicious to eat.

It’s always fun to hang out with this cool dude.

gmb

Grant. I die. So cute. So fun.

I also binge watched Gilmore Girls all weekend. I’m obsessed – I forgot how much I loved that show.

What’s the last new workout you tried? Anything fun?

1 Allison October 6, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Those sound great!!!
And Gilmore Girls!!! Best show ever!!!
Allison recently posted..Money Monday: Quality vs Quantity

2 Claudia October 6, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Gilmore Girls… Oy with the poodles already! ;o)

3 eb @ Running on E October 6, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Awesome! I took a circus arts class once that had some similar elements and loved it. Big time core workout!
eb @ Running on E recently posted..Chickamauga Marathon Training Week 4

4 Sam @ PancakeWarriors October 6, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Aero yoga looks so fun! I can only imagine the strength involved. Thanks for sharing these cool workouts!
Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted..Beginners Series: Dumbbell Back and Biceps

5 Carrie (This Fit Chick) October 6, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Acroyoga sounds so cool! And looks even cooler!!! I havent done anything new, but I’m still loving my regular routine!
Carrie (This Fit Chick) recently posted..Just, FOOD!

6 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 7, 2014 at 12:15 am

that acro yoga looks like so much fun! as much as i’ve tried to become yoga person.. i just haven’t. haha but bring in a partner and a whole new challenge and i’d totally be game!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..pretty in chevron

7 Traci October 7, 2014 at 12:51 am

Yes to Gilmore Girls being on Netflix! Those workouts look like a lot of fun, more play than work.
Traci recently posted..Let’s Plan a Tea Date

8 LInda @ Fit Fed and Happy October 7, 2014 at 6:10 am

I have always wanted to do Acro Yoga but no one I know proves to me a strong as a yogi as I myself <—not to brag, but there isn't a yoga community around here.

You're lucky!
LInda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted..Spaghetti Squash Pasta Boat!

9 Beth October 7, 2014 at 10:05 am

I tried Pound in South Tampa a while back at a place called Soul Rooster (I think). It was fun and got me excited about other workout options. I’d like to back. I don’t know if I could do that acroyoga, I am a weekling. LOL! Looks super fun though.
Beth recently posted..September Stats/Recap

10 [email protected] October 7, 2014 at 11:05 am

I purchased a Living Social deal for an acro yoga class with my sister, I need to get it booked, looks like fun!
[email protected] recently posted..A wedding in Southport

11 Emily October 7, 2014 at 11:39 am

I was just telling a friend the other day how much I wanted to try acro yoga! It seems really intense but fun.
Emily recently posted..4505 Burgers & BBQ: All the Brisket!

12 Rosey Rebecca October 7, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Both of those classes sound so fun! Especially ‘Pound.’ Must be a great way to get your frustration out! I am obsessed with Gilmore Girls too. If I started watching it this past weekend, I’d still be watching it right now. It’s addicting!
Rosey Rebecca recently posted..Because Ice Cream for Breakfast is Allowed on the Weekends

13 Inez @ Pancake Saturday October 7, 2014 at 4:43 pm

I’ve really been loving more intense yoga classes. My flexibility isn’t great but doing faster, strength based moves boosts my confidence and when I leave I feel strong and refreshed.
Inez @ Pancake Saturday recently posted..Vegan Whole Foods Haul

14 Alisha @ Real Girl Running October 7, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Wow – Acroyoga looks HARD!! I’m not sure my core would get me through those moves – even the basic ones! And I just have to say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Gilmore Girls! It’s the tv series that I put on when I am feeling down and want to get cheered up 🙂

15 Tricia October 7, 2014 at 5:48 pm

The last new to me workout that I tried was a barre class and I absolutely loved it! I just wish more gyms offered it because it’s so expensive at the specialty studios!
Tricia recently posted..UW vs WSU Rivalry Clash 5k Race Recap

16 Steph October 7, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Sometimes the acro peeps will be at Yoga in the Park on Sunday nights. I was chatting with one of them a few months ago and then the next thing I know, I was in free-bird! I think they are in Curtis Hixon on Tuesday nights!
Steph recently posted..September Summary

17 goldie October 8, 2014 at 2:57 am

That looks like so much fun!!! And that little guy is adorable 🙂 xx
goldie recently posted..Capture your grief: most treasured item

18 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 8, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I have seen Gilmore Girls so many times, and I never get sick of it. I even got my mom hooked and now we’ll have a date night where we watch a specific episode on the same night and text each other during it.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Four Years

19 Sophie October 9, 2014 at 1:29 am

the acroyoga looks so cool, should try for my incoming workout. your lil dude is soo cute and good looking!

20 The Many Thoughts of a Reader October 13, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I took a few pound classes this spring. I really enjoyed it!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Stitch Fix #2