Fall 2014 Run Happy Playlist

by Meghann on September 25, 2014

Oh, TimeHop… an app designed to make us always feel old or extremely lazy.

Screenshot_2014-09-22-08-11-12

It’s hard to believe one year ago today I was in peak training for Ironman Florida. Kelly and I had just finished our first century and were gearing up for back-to-back weeks of long runs, long swims, and another 100 mile brick. According to this blog post, a year ago this week I had dedicated nearly 16 hours to training, totaling over 154 miles on my feet/in the water. Wowza.

Where are we today? Well, Kelly just got cleared to run again 6 weeks after giving birth and I’m happy to report I managed to run 4 miles this morning – my longest run since the Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle in June.

garmin shot

A lot can change in a year and I’m darn proud of those 4 miles. I’m still working on building my endurance back up, which means walking breaks are a given. I’m running with my Garmin again in hopes of helping to eliminate them. I find if I don’t time my walking breaks, then I’ll walk a whole mile without thinking about it. So I’m gradually upping my running time and decreasing my walking time. It’s a slow and steady process, but I’m getting there.

I’m currently carrying around an extra 10 or so pounds of trying to get pregnant/ being pregnant/ losing the pregnancy weight that needs to go. None of my pants fit and I’m flat out miserable because of it. Getting back into a regular workout routine, which not only includes running but some strength training as well, is key. I’m also working on revamping my diet. During my short pregnancy I pretty much ate nothing but bread. I’m working on scaling back the bread (and sweets!) and reintroducing vegetables back into the routine. I still don’t have the desire to cook, so I’m creating meals plans to sort of force myself to make healthier things at night. The desire to wear my old clothes again is a big motivation factor here. I miss my clothes.

I’ll check back in a month or so to let you know my progress. In the mean time, I had one of my bi-annual splurges on iTunes last night and am happy to report I have a new set of songs to jam out to on my runs. Introducing, my Run Happy playlist for Fall 2014.

Run Happy Fall 2014

I’m still looking for songs to add! What’s your current workout anthem?

1 Carrie (This Fit Chick) September 25, 2014 at 8:56 pm

On top of the world! I love it. My favorite right now is Reload Ladi dadi! REALLY gets you going!
Carrie (This Fit Chick) recently posted..Berrylicious Pre-Workout and Drippy Eggs!

2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs September 25, 2014 at 8:58 pm

All of my current favourite songs are already on your list 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Thursday Things

3 Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy September 25, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Current song anthem: black widow by hazy something. i love love love the song!
Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted..What I Do In a Day

4 Kay September 26, 2014 at 12:21 am

I’m feeling your run happy list. I always have Bartender stuck in my head.

Since I’m lazy and don’t want to add it up, do you know about how long all those songs together are?

5 Goldie September 26, 2014 at 3:42 am

I’m glad you’re getting back on the exercise. I swear, after the miscarriage, it was crucial to my recovery mentally and physically. Don’t worry about those 10lbs. they’ll vanish before you know it. xx
Goldie recently posted..So… what now?

6 Mary September 26, 2014 at 4:46 am

That Meghan Trainor song always gets me bopping! I have been a fan of Pharrell Williams – Happy since it seemed to be played all along the London Marathon course this year and forever reminds me of running well now.
Mary recently posted..How did September go by so fast?!

7 Regina September 26, 2014 at 7:22 am

I love “All about That bass”. Especially the meaning behind it. Great song. I actually just listen to pandora app on my phone when I run which I prefer. I never know what’s coming next and some songs are faster than others so I’m constantly changing my speed. It only sucks when I get to a hard hill or a mental wall and have to listen to a commercial 🙂
Regina recently posted..Lately

8 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner September 26, 2014 at 8:34 am

I’ve always loved “Runnin’ Down a Dream” by Tom Petty. 🙂
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Life Lately

9 Erin Christine September 26, 2014 at 8:36 am

That’s a great playlist! Glad that you are starting to get back into the swing of things…big hugs to you. xoxo

10 EB @Running on E September 26, 2014 at 9:03 am

All about that Bass makes my giggle for some reason, so I like to put it late on my running playlist to cheering me up when I’m tired.
EB @Running on E recently posted..Friday Five

11 Kim September 26, 2014 at 9:43 am

I’m glad you’re able to run and get back to the workouts you love! I can’t imagine how hard this has all been for you.

Workout songs:
– Pitch Perfect: Bellas Finals / Price Tag
– Justin Timberlake: SexyBack
– Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody
– Vampire Weekend: A-Punk
– La Roux: Bulletproof
– Oh Honey: Be Okay
Kim recently posted..Happy Weekend!

12 Katie September 26, 2014 at 9:51 am

Revolution by Diplo is a great song to really pump me up.
Katie recently posted..Bike Trip: Girls Gone Walker

13 Amanda September 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

I love the new Taylor Swift song! My other current playlist favorites are: “Because the Night” by Cascada, “Geronimo” by Sheppard, and “Fireball” by Pitbull.

14 Gabrielle Barrette September 26, 2014 at 11:37 am

For some reason ”Prayer in C” by Lily Wood always gets me in the zone on my runs! LOVE this song!! And ”Black Widow” by Iggy Azalea ft Rita Ora is always a winne in my book 🙂

15 Tricia September 27, 2014 at 6:26 am

I’m really loving the new Taylor Swift song and also “Arrows” by Macklemore. You’ve got a great playlist going there! I’m going to add some of your songs to mine! So excited!
Tricia recently posted..Drink More Water Challenge Update + Friday Photo Round Up

16 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 29, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Great job on your run! Sounds like you are easing back into a routine the right way. I know weight gain is frustrating, but there is no better time than to be kind to yourself. You’ll get there quicker if you are. Oh and when I go through no-cooking phases, I just utilize my blender as much as possible. Smoothies any time of day and soups with minimal ingredients. I recently made a Roasted Red Pepper “blender soup” and it was so delish and easy. Basically you just need: 2 jars roasted red peppers (chopped), 4 tomatoes (chopped), 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp champagne vinegar, healthy dash of smoked paprika + salt/pepper to taste. Blend, heat over stove and you’re ready to go!

17 melissa @fitnessnycblog September 29, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I know exactly how you feel about the weight gain and feeling lazy. I won’t even get started on how much I hate pants. Maybe we can recommit together? But why I really posted is to thank you for the great playlist.
melissa @fitnessnycblog recently posted..Reach The Beach: Legs 2 and 3

18 Stacy October 4, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Your blog isn’t letting me read comments unless I make one. Is that intentional? Just wanted to see the songs others recommended.
Stacy recently posted..Building a House, Month 6: The Shell Becomes “Dried In”