New Kicks

by Meghann on September 17, 2014

Remember a couple of months ago when I toured Brooks headquarters in Seattle?

20140620_170213

Two things stood out to me on that trip:

1) The new Brooks NightLife Footwear

2) The new Brooks Heritage Collection

First, let’s talk about Brooks NightLife Footwear.

reflective pack

Brooks NightLife collection uses strategically placed contrasting fabrics, retroreflective detail and active lighting to not only increase runner’s visibility, but also recognition. This is important for runners who don’t just want to be seen- but want to be recognized as a person vs. a traffic cone! I enjoy the collection because it typically comes in bright colors that are fun to wear and allow you to really stand out in a crowd. Plus, I run early in the morning, when it’s typically dark and a teeny bit scary. The NightLife gear allows me to feel a little bit safer on the road.

Brooks recently released their NightLife footwear collection (featuring the Glycerin 12s, PureFlow 3s, and Ravenna 5s) in August. Of course, I immediately became obsessed with the bright pinkness of the shoes.

brooks nightlife shoes

Awesome, right?

Just like the rest of the NightLife gear, the shoes are designed so runners can be recognized, not just seen. Basically, feet light up like a Christmas tree every time a car drives by. Of course I immediately jumped at a chance to review the new NightLife edition of Brooks Glycerin 12.

IMG_4770

Lately I’ve been running exclusively in shoes from the PureProject line (PureConnect and most recently the PureFlow), but before I switched to the PureProject line, I was a devoted Glycerins runner. Over the course of 3 years I went through numerous pairs, starting with the Glycerin 7s  in 2010 and eventually ending in the Glycerin 10s. I’m a huge fan of the extra cushion of the Glycerins and the soft ride they provide, but felt the lightness and grippiness from the PureProject shoes were more suitable for triathlon training. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve worn Glycerins and, when they arrived, I was worried I wasn’t going to enjoy them as much as I used to.

wpid-20140813_065107.jpg

The shoes actually arrived right before my post-surgery running hiatus. As cute as the shoes were – and as much as I wanted to wear them – the shoes were kept out of sight, sealed in their box, until I got the go ahead to run again. When I did get the green light, it was comforting to have the new Glycerin 12s to start fresh in. New shoes, new outlook on running.

I’m not sure if it was just because I was happy to run again, but the Glycerin 12s felt great. It was that same cushioned ride I always remembered, but these were a little lighter and freer in a way thanks to the Super DNA technology that Brooks developed during the creation of the Transcends. I loved them.

wpid-20140813_065143.jpg

My only complaint is the reflective shoe laces. They do NOT like to stay tied. I’m tempted to replace the shoe laces, but I’m torn with losing the reflectiveness of them.

I’m currently maxing out at 3 miles – with a lot of walking – but I’m excited to see where these new shoes will take me. If anything the bright pink makes me smile and for now, that’s enough for me.

On to the Brooks Heritage Footwear Collection:

IMG_4778

I know, pretty awesome, right?

The Brooks Heritage Footwear Collection launched in March 2014 as a casual, lifestyle footwear line for men and women curated to honor and celebrate the history, heritage, and spirit of the run. Featuring famed shoe designs, the Brooks Heritage Collection fuses fashion-forward aesthetics with classic running silhouettes to create sleek street-style shoes. Basically, what was once old, is new again, and they’re pretty awesome.

I was sent a pair of the Brooks Chariot, which are modeled after the original 1982 Brooks Chariot design.

IMG_4786

Capturing the essence of the original model, the reborn Chariot features the same tech qualities pioneered during the decade including a Diagonal Rollbar which was a breakthrough in motion control technology, molded tri-layer insole for cushioning, solid rubber outsole for sock absorption, and reflective hits for visibility.

Fusing the past with the present, this reborn classic has been updated with modern details such as an opulent pebbled leather chevron and rich varsity colorways that pay homage to the leading schools and teams of the 80s while also adhering to current fashion trends.

IMG_4788

As both a fan of history and a shoe geek, I’m a big fan of the Brooks Heritage Collection. Not only are they cute, but they represent a piece of Brooks history and each shoe has a story that comes with it. There are the famous faces that once wore the shoe, the technological advances that made the shoe the shoe of its time, the awards the shoe took home, and what was going on in American history when that shoe was designed. For instance, my parents graduated high school in 1982 and were married that fall. 1982 was a big year for them, so it’s fun to have a shoe that was originally designed around the same time.

The Brooks Heritage Collection is still very young and continues to grow and evolve. I’m hoping they’ll add apparel to the mix soon!

What do you think of the old school look of the Brooks Heritage Collection?

I was sent both pair of shoes as part of the Brooks run Happy Ambassador program. As always, all opinions are my own.

1 Allison September 17, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Love the heritage shoes! I have not seen those in the stores yet, but they are too cute!!!

2 eb @ Running on E September 17, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Love the looks of the hertiage collection! Can’t wait to see all the colors!
eb @ Running on E recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Going back to Jax with #RUNDONNA!

3 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs September 17, 2014 at 8:56 pm

They’re all so pretty! 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Keeping Up With A Busy Week

4 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub September 17, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I love, love, love the heritage design. Definitely something I would buy.
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..The perfect gift for a man

5 Mary September 18, 2014 at 7:01 am

Loving that you got to get IN a trainer! I love all of the colours of Brooks shoes but I can never get any ladies trainers in my size as my feet are too big. 🙁
Mary recently posted..Five things Thursday

6 Katie September 18, 2014 at 9:35 am

I just restarted the couch to 5k program. Its not that I can’t run a 5k, but I needed the walking breaks built in so that I could keep each workout a positive thing. I highly recommend it!
Katie recently posted..#BlendDSMtakeover (Weekend Recap)

7 Jesica @rUnladylike September 18, 2014 at 10:19 am

I love your teal Chariots! I have them in grey and love that they originally came out the year I was born. I can’t get enough of them. I just bought my hubby a pair of the Vanguards and they are awesome too. xo
Jesica @rUnladylike recently posted..Carrot Cake Muffins for Runners

8 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles September 18, 2014 at 10:51 am

I love the old-school look! Reminds me of the old-school New Balance too….I have been considering the Brooks Glycerin 12’s at the moment. I tried them on last week. I have the 10’s but switched to Adidas since then .Ugh, the running shoe drama lol.
meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..Thinking Out Loud – Retrain Your Brain

9 Mo (@rushourunner) September 18, 2014 at 11:52 am

I usually double-knot my shoelaces and then tuck the ends in. Keeps them from coming untied, and now I don’t trip over my own feet 🙂
Mo (@rushourunner) recently posted..3 things thursday [93]

10 Rebekah Smith September 18, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Do you run in the chariots or are they just for normal day to day life?

11 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed September 18, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I really need to think about getting some reflective gear soon! At our new house I’ll be walking the dog on the side of the road and I was already feeling slightly nervous when it was still light out. The earlier the sun goes down, the more I’ll be walking in the dark. Do you think the NightLife gear is worth it?
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Weekend Snapshots & Paint Colors

12 [email protected] September 18, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I received something in a Stride box that would help with the laces. I think it’s called “lace locker or lockers” and it’s basically a little loop you Velcro over the knot to keep it tied. Loving both of those shoes! Do you know if they make any of their shoes in USA? I read something about New Balance committing to manufacture 25% of their shoes in the US and was curious if Brooks does something similar?
[email protected] recently posted..Rex Wellness Sprint Triathlon in Wakefield Recap

13 Elisabeth September 18, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I love those heritage collection shoes! I definitely need to check those out since I really similar old school shoes from Saucony & New Balance.

14 Katie K. September 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I just bought something called “Yankz! Sure Lace System” for my running shoes so they don’t come untied (and to make triathlon transitions a few seconds faster 😉 ). They have two reflective options – white and black. Not as cool as your pink reflective laces, but they’ll stay laced up!

15 joelle (on a pink typewriter) September 18, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I need to buy something like that! My running shoes – regardless of brand – always come untied and it drives me nuts.
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Brunch at Cafe Chloe

16 joelle (on a pink typewriter) September 18, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I love that reflective/glow in the dark looking pair! I’ve run in Brooks in the past and they do made great shows.. I’m currently obsessed with my Asics though. 🙂
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Brunch at Cafe Chloe

17 Erica September 18, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Obsessed with Brooks. Love both of these. <3 <3 Hope you're doing well and that the new house is treating you well

18 Goldie September 19, 2014 at 9:22 am

I am in love with the pink ones. Shame about the laces. surely there are some you can buy on amazon which are reflective and stay tied?x
Goldie recently posted..I {love}maegan.com

19 Carrie (This Fit Chick) September 22, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Those are absolutely adorable! I have some of the Nike colored ones, but they don’t fit too well. I love all the bright colored shoes out there!
Carrie (This Fit Chick) recently posted..The Start of Daily Blogging!

20 Jill September 25, 2014 at 7:26 am

Grab some lock-laces! You can use your own laces (the reflective ones) and they don’t budge. I got some to save time in triathlon transition, and now they’re all I wear. I haven’t had to tie a pair of sneakers in months.
The Brooks Heritage shoes are super cute! I’d totally wear those.