Pure Love

by Meghann on September 2, 2014

First, I need to wish my mom and Aunt Liz a very happy 50th birthday.

10614289_10105001193629723_1534240239335010013_n

I know, I can’t believe they’re 50 either. They look fabulous, right?

Derek and I were in Titusville this weekend celebrating my mom’s birthday. The whole crew was in town, including my twin brother – who flew all the way from California with his girlfriend for the event! – and the latest little addition: Owen.

10612600_10152635685510750_5534381444058127809_n

We’re officially a party of 11 and I’m pretty sure my parents couldn’t be happier about that fact. We didn’t do much all weekend – just dinner on Saturday night and a trip to the bowling ally on Sunday (unfortunately the guys killed the girls in both games) – but it was absolutely perfect just spending time together as a family. We haven’t all been together since November and it was nice to just relax and hang out just like we used to.

Admittedly, I was a little nervous meeting Owen this weekend. Though I knew I loved Owen with every ounce of my being, I just wasn’t sure I was emotionally ready to meet him. There was a baby shower at my office last Thursday and I ended up locking myself in the bathroom for a self-induced pity party. It was just too much for me to handle at that time, and it broke my heart that I couldn’t be there to congratulate my co-worker. Just walking by the decorations made me hyperventilate and sent me in a downward spiral. I hated it, but the feelings of loss and grief were just too raw.

I was afraid I’d have the same reaction with Owen. I was scared I would start hyperventilating and I didn’t want my first meeting with my beautiful nephew to be like that. I even stalled when I got to the house, not even asking about him. It was my mom that gently nudged me to get over the hump. She grabbed my hand, led me upstairs and introduced me to Owen without any hesitation.

My sister had just finished feeding Owen and handed him over. I held him and everything just clicked. There was no urge to hyperventilate, no urge to breakdown over what might have been, and no remorse. There was only love – pure, amazing love. I had a surge of it and calmed every muscle in my body. I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen a more beautiful baby in my life – he’s perfect in every way.

10616145_10104985989249423_6854156949139806682_n

I held Owen for a good 30 minutes while my sister and brother-in-law got ready for dinner. I didn’t want to stop holding him, and latched onto every opportunity I had all weekend to have him in my arms. He’s the perfect combination of my sister and brother-in-law. So sweet, calm, and loveable. Even Maddie couldn’t get enough of Owen.

10593033_10104989906030163_6609797125846626964_n

She was so curious of this little creature. She just wanted to sniff and lick.

The whole weekend away was actually really good for both Derek and I. Never underestimate the power of family. We smiled a lot – real, genuine smiles that reminded me we’re going to be okay. Everything will be okay. It was hard to say good-bye. I miss all of  them already.

Now it’s time to buckle down. We’re moving this weekend. Well technically Derek is moving us while I’m out of town for work. Husband-of-the-year decided he could handle it on his own – more power to him. I leave on Thursday and I’ll return to a new house on Monday. Whoa. Craziness.

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs September 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Beautiful! Glad you were able to visit with your family for the weekend — it’s the best medicine 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..[Long] Weekend Update

2 Stacy September 2, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I’m glad meeting Owen went so well for you. I was hoping it would not make you sad.

Sorry about the baby shower at work; that sounds rough. I’m sure it will happen soon for you guys!
Stacy recently posted..Labor Day Stay

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 2, 2014 at 9:57 pm

I’m so glad you were able to get over the hump and meet baby Owen. I’m sure it had to have been nerve-wracking but you’re strong and holding that little peanut should make things easier because you have him to snuggle and love.
And whoa…husband of the year for sure!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..A Long and Fun Weekend

4 kristin September 2, 2014 at 10:15 pm

so glad your introduction to owen was an experience of love. amen to the power of family.
kristin recently posted..LONG RUN: LABOR DAY

5 Jessica September 2, 2014 at 11:13 pm

I love your honesty and strength in writing this post. <3

6 Danielle September 3, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Same. Your honesty and willingness to discuss these rough topics has really just blown me out of the water. It sounds like it may be therapeutic for you and I know it helps others, too. I’m really loving the blog lately <3

7 Lisa September 2, 2014 at 11:27 pm

This put a smile on my face. You aren’t alone. Nephews are the best!

8 Goldie September 3, 2014 at 2:45 am

I’m glad you had a good time. Isn’t Owen gorgeous 🙂
Goldie recently posted..Telling my parents

9 EB @Running on E September 3, 2014 at 8:11 am

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Family is a great thing! 🙂
EB @Running on E recently posted..August Recap

10 [email protected] September 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

Thank you for sharing the truth of your emotions right now. I’m so glad you got to meet and fall in love with little Owen, he is so cute!
[email protected] recently posted..Rex Wellness Sprint Triathlon in Wakefield Recap

11 Haley September 3, 2014 at 9:57 am

there’s not much in this world that is better than family time. Glad to hear you were able to spend some quality time with them.
Haley recently posted..Pregnancy Update – 38 Weeks

12 Lesley September 3, 2014 at 11:23 am

Glad you had a good time! Owen is precious!
Lesley recently posted..Happy Labor Day!

13 Betsy September 3, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I met my nephew in December after a failed infertility treatment and felt that I wouldn’t handle it well either. Just like you though, love took over and I was fine. I’m so glad you were able to spend time with your family and relax!

14 Jenny September 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm

This post made my heart happy.
You guys are going to be ok 🙂
Family is amazing.

15 The Many Thoughts of a Reader September 3, 2014 at 10:29 pm

((()) You both look great in your picture together!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Stitch Fix #1

16 Kim September 4, 2014 at 6:24 am

Great family pic! Almost makes me want 4 kids so I can see them grow up together 🙂

17 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner September 4, 2014 at 11:04 am

Spending time with my family always makes me feel better. You’re lucky to have such a cool family to hang out with! Good luck in your new house. 🙂
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..This Weekend I…..

18 Reenie September 4, 2014 at 11:49 am

Happy Belated Bday to your Mom & Aunt.

Lil Owen is adorable.

Great family photo of you all.

WOW…. all moved when you get back in town ~ that’s great!! Can’t wait to see your new home.

xo

19 Annette @FitnessPerks September 4, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Family is so incredible in healing hearts & spreading more love <3 Owen is so cute!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Reflections on the Month without Facebook

20 brandy September 4, 2014 at 9:15 pm

My friend gave birth to a still born…she went through the entire 9 months and then tha. The hormones after were another battle. She is the best person I know….and now a happy mom of a little girl!

21 Mary September 5, 2014 at 4:26 am

So glad meeting Owen went well. You always seem to have had such a close knit family and I’m sure getting away with them for a weekend will have done you the world of good.
Fingers crossed the move goes well.
Mary recently posted..The wedding morning

22 Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy September 5, 2014 at 5:12 pm

You’re happy and glowing! 🙂
Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted..2 Days, 2 Nights Niagara Falls Stay!

23 Theresa September 18, 2014 at 5:35 am

After family, what else is there? Really.