Day in the Life: Travel Day Hell

by Meghann on August 12, 2014

6:30am: Alarm clock goes off. Press snooze and roll over.

6:33am: Begin to panic snooze won’t work, I’ll fall back to sleep and miss my ride. Jump up in a panic and realize there’s still 2 minutes of snooze left.

6:40am: Shower, dress, finish packing bag, eat last plum from the stash of fruit I bought Thursday night when we arrived

7:00am: Head downstairs and meet driver for my ride to the airport

7:45am: Arrive at airport, check bag and spend an extra minute selecting the best seats for my flights (window seats close to the front of the plane -always)

8:00am: Head upstairs and grab a muffin and coffee. Eat breakfast while catching up on emails

8:30am: Make my way through security and head to gate

8:40am: Check digital boards and discover flight to Chicago is cancelled

8:45am: Hand tickets to agent and discover a bus is waiting downstairs to drive us to Chicago.  Should still have plenty of time to make 1:00pm flight to Tampa. Crisis averted.

9:00am: Checked bags are distributed at ticket counter. Lots of angry/annoyed people waiting for bags.

9:10am: Grab bag and load bus to Chicago.

airport bus

9:25am: Bus leaves Milwaukee

9:50am: Bus stops. No explanation given. Driver finally tells us another bus is on its way. Is this really happening?

bus shot

9:55am: AC is off and the bus is already steaming.  The guy next to me calls the airline to complain and is given the option of 12,000 miles or $300. He encourages everyone to do the same.

10:15am: Second bus finally arrives. We’re shuffled out of bus #1 and loaded into bus #2 on the side of the interstate. Classy.

bus2

11:20am: Second bus arrives in Chicago. Admittedly, a faster drive than I was expecting. Why didn’t I just drive there in the first place?

11:30am: Re-check bag, try to get an upgrade – no dice. I’m told I’ll have to complain on the phone or online to get anything. Darn. All I want is a bigger seat and free drinks – is that too much to ask? I also discover next flight has been delayed 45 minutes. Sigh.

11:45am: Head through security and have lunch at Wolfgang Puck. Order tortilla soup and mixed greens salad

20140811_113821 20140811_114320

12:15pm: Check monitors and discover flight is delayed another 45 minutes. Dratz. Text my ride to let her know I’m delayed.

delayed

12:30pm: Splurge on 20 minute chair massage at airport spa because… why the heck not. I needed it.

1:00pm: Find a chair with an outlet and start to crank through emails.

1:45pm: Flight is now delayed a full 3 hours. Noooo. Text ride and tell her I’ll take a cab. Text husband and he says he can get me. Yay!

delayed again

2:30pm: Purchase a strawberry “smoothie” aka milkshake thanks to the frozen vanilla yogurt base I ordered.

20140811_142619

3:00pm: Dad calls to tell me Kelly is in labor. At this rate I’m going to be an aunt before I’m home!

3:15pm: Log on to Publix deli online and pre order a sub to pick up when I land. I’m always thinking ahead when it comes to food!

3:30pm: Board plane. Finally!

finallyonaplane

4:00pm: Pass the heck out and sleep the entire flight

7:30pm: Land in Tampa! Kelly is at 4 cm and progressing beautifully. We’re told to expect late night texts with updates.

8:00pm: Meet Derek curbside.  Give him a big hug and kiss. He takes me to my car at the office

8:10pm: Drive to Publix and grab pre ordered sub and a few other staples to survive a couple of days before my next trip.

20140811_204549

9:00pm: Home! Finally!

10:00pm: Head to bed – I should have a nephew in the morning!

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 12, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Sorry about your crappy travel day, but YAY to Kelly having her baby soon! 🙂

2 Becca August 12, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Yay for your nephew!! That’s exciting!

If it makes you feel any better, I’m currently in “teacher hell”– yesterday was the first day of school, and between three full days of work plus a half day on Sat, I’ve worked 45 hours! Awful. At least not everyday’s so terrible. 🙂

3 Katie @ A Full Plate August 12, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Congrats Auntie!

4 Haley August 12, 2014 at 3:48 pm

My hubby goes through traveling disasters all the time with his job. He tends to rent a car whenever he has the opportunity to avoid further airline delays and cancellations.
But most of his flying is limited to the SouthEast so it’s easier to commute by vehicle.
I didn’t realize you could order Publix subs through their deli website. I’m going to have to try that sometime.

5 eb @ Running on E August 12, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Sorry for the horrible travel day, but it sounds like there is a happy ending with a new nephew!

6 [email protected] August 13, 2014 at 12:18 am

What a crappy day of travel! I had to pop over to Instagram to see if the baby had arrived, the suspense was too much! He is adorable!!!

7 Lesley August 13, 2014 at 12:25 am

Ugh! I hate flying because if I fly late, that always happens. I stick with one airline (not a “major” airline) because I’ve had limited issues with them *knock on wood* At least you finally got home.

8 Aly August 13, 2014 at 12:36 am

That sounds like total HELL! You should push the airline for all the compensation that you can get. I know no one likes a complainer but I truly think it is the only way to get dollars or miles from airlines.

At least you should have good news this morning!

9 Patti August 13, 2014 at 12:38 am

So what were you up to in Milwaukee? I’m a native Wisconsinite and was pleased to see the Mount Pleasant sign (that’s where my husband grew up). Why were your flights delayed/cancelled? Seems so odd for August – I would expect something like that in January. Glad you made it home safe and hope you’re an amazing aunt by now!

10 Sam @ The Running Graduate August 13, 2014 at 2:55 pm

What a crazy day! The thing I hate the most about flying is the unpredictability. I think I’m one of the few people who has had less than an handful of problems in recent years (I always fly Southwest). I’m glad you finally got home! Congrats on the new addition to the family 🙂

11 [email protected] August 13, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Yay for a new baby!!!

12 Laureen @Peachylau August 14, 2014 at 6:46 am

Travel from hell indeed!

13 Ashley August 14, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Followed this madness with you on Instagram. It’s just painful to read! So glad you finally made it home and seems like you kept a level head!

14 mary @ minutes per mile August 15, 2014 at 2:10 pm

crazy day! publix never goes wrong. best store ever!!!!