Hat Trick

by Meghann on August 6, 2014

My bag is packed and I’m ready to fly!

9 (1)

You guys guessed it – I’m heading to the land of cheese, Wisconsin! I’ve never been, so I’m looking forward to exploring somewhere new and, of course, eating lots of cheese! πŸ˜‰

But, before I go, I wanted to introduce you to my next challenge…

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 8.18.13 PM

Yay, a goal!

I’ve been in a bit of a running slump, so when Runner’s World invited me to the The Runner’s World Half Marathon & Festival in Bethlehem, PA, I couldn’t say yes fast enough.

The Runner’s World Half Marathon & Festival takes place on October 18 & 19 in Runner’s World’s backyard. The weekend consists of a 5k, 10k, half marathon, kids races, 1-mile dog run, running challenges, and the chance to interact with your favorite Runner’s World editors.

I’ll be running the “Hat Trick,” which includes the 5k & 10k on Saturday and the half marathon on Sunday. I needed a good challenge and this one totally hits the spot.

Want to join in on the fun? Use any of the codes below for 10% off registration.

• 5k: blogmealsandmiles5K
  • 10k: blogmealsandmiles10K
  • Half: blogmealsandmilesHalf
  • 5 & Dime: blogmealsandmiles5&10
  • Hat Trick: blogmealsandmilesHat

When I was completing my registration, I thought this question was interesting:

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 8.17.21 PM

I said yes because, well, #ALLTHEMEDALS, but I’d be curious to know how many said no.

What do you think? Would you take the medal or not?

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 6, 2014 at 9:34 pm

How interesting! I also can’t imagine that many people would opt out of a medal, but maybe minimalists who don’t like to hang on to things? Anyway, I wouldn’t opt out!

2 Janette H. August 6, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I am running the Runner’s World Hat Trick this year too! I completed the Hat Trick last year; the whole weekend was awesome! I will definitely be collecting my medals to display on my wall!

3 Liz August 6, 2014 at 10:21 pm

I’ve been thinking about this kind of things more and more lately. I think I would opt out. As much as I love medals (and other goodies) ultimately, it ends up in a landfill somewhere down the line. And the only way to prevent that is to prevent it from being created in the first place. The global climate crisis is staggering and I’m taken aback daily by how many things in the world are crumbling under the weight of it. I think it’s easy to think that the individual choices we make don’t matter, but if ALL of us said no more often to stuff like this, then we’d actually get somewhere. Kudos to Runner’s World for addressing it in a small way. (This isn’t meant to sound judgy – I struggle to say no to stuff all the time. I just feel passionately that we all have to get better at it or future generations are truly in trouble.)

4 jillian August 7, 2014 at 11:51 am

Yes, yes, yes! So well put!

5 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub August 6, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to one of those Runners World events, one day I guess. And I would definitely take the medal.

6 Lindsey August 6, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I would take the medal, it’s a nice reminder of sometbinf you’ve done and can look back on it. However, we are in such a state of police these days, I wouldn’t be surprised if they outlaw medals eventually.

7 Sara August 6, 2014 at 11:51 pm

It’s an awesome course. Better find some hills to run because we are a hilly town. I’m not in love with this year’s course changes but it is still challenging. I was going to sit it out due to a marathon next weekend but Bart Yasso just convinced me I gotta do it. If you want tips let me know.

8 Homa August 7, 2014 at 12:32 am

There’s a race here called the Recycled Race and they give shirts and medals out but they are all leftovers from other races. Tangentially related to your question but as a result the race fee is significantly discounted for each fully supported running distance. I think opting out in advance is a neat option if the incentive was a discount. Or if they would donate it to an organization like “Medals for Mettle.”

I am in an everything slump. Hurt my knee in my last half and it hurts at the smallest distances even 8 months later. Hope this challenge treats you well!

9 Lauren August 7, 2014 at 12:52 am

Awesome! I live nearby and will be running the half as well as a different 5k the day before! Glad to see some of my favorite bloggers will be in Bethlehem after seeing a bunch were in Boston for RW’s other half!

10 Nikki @ grab your kicks August 7, 2014 at 7:59 am

I would want the medal too. It’s not all about the medal, but a great reminder of what I accomplished. I love to see them hanging.

11 Jessica August 7, 2014 at 9:23 am

Hope you have a great time in Wisconsin! You’ll actually have great weather here this weekend.. we haven’t had much of a summer here with all the rain and cold temperatures. If you have any free time, you should check out the State Fair or a brewery tour!

Drink Wisconsibly!

12 EB @Running on E August 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

I’ve never seen a race let you opt out of a medal. Interesting idea!

13 Amanda August 7, 2014 at 9:58 am

Where in Wi? I’m in Milwaukee and can give you some good places to run/eat while you are here πŸ™‚

14 Amy Mc. August 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I’ll be there doing the Hat Trick too! Bethlehem is my hometown, so it was hard to resist.

Totally taking all the medals!

15 Ashley August 7, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I would NEVER say no to a medal! You work hard for those beauties!

16 Dori August 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I wouldn’t take the medal. I’m trying so hard to get rid of stuff and not be a person who holds on to things.

17 Kathy August 7, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I did the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in DC earlier this year and no medal was given out but it gave you an option to pay more to get one. Yes I paid more to get a medal.

18 Heidi August 7, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I’m Australian and it’s only recently that a lot of races have even started giving out medals, escpecially for the shorter distances. It’s almost unheard of to get a medal for a 5km and I think it should stay that way. I think that races should stop giving out so many medals in general as they really are a waste in the long run. I’d definitely opt out, money could be better spent, or make entries less expensive, and we can work towards saving the planet at the same time. Win / win!

19 Sam @ The Running Graduate August 7, 2014 at 7:08 pm

That is so awesome!! I loved reading the bloggers’ experiences from the Boston Hat Trick! You’ll have so much fun and I can’t wait to read about your trip! I would totally go if it wasn’t right around midterms.
I would totally take the medal too, I love race swag. But I think it’s a great idea to offer the option of no medal.

20 Becky August 7, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I saw that you’re headed to Wisconsin – assuming you’ll be crazy busy with work, but definitely make sure you check out some of the local beers while you’re here. The fruit beers from New Glarus (Cherry Tart and Raspberry Tart) are fantastic and pretty different from what’s available elsewhere, and Central Waters makes some excellent darker beers (and a very decent IPA, but bourbon-barrel stuff is their strength). Feel free to shoot me an email if you want more specific recommendations (or if you’ll be in Madison and want specific recs about places to go for food/drinks/etc).

21 Ellie August 7, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Hi Friend, I would say no. I keep my numbers but not my medals. I’ve moved 8 times in the last 6 years and it just makes you remember that it is the memories in life that matter. I have donated a lot of my medals to events for kids or teachers to pass out as prizes. Just from a different view.
Have fun in Wisconsin!

22 Christina M. August 7, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I will be running the 10k and definitely will take the medal since it will be my first 10k. I’m using the time from that race for corral placement at the Princess Half!

23 Lesley Moore August 8, 2014 at 7:20 am

I would say yes to the medals! That is the “prize” at the end for me. Also, I donate (or get duplicates) my medals to the IRUN4 organization for my buddy!

24 [email protected] August 8, 2014 at 8:21 am

Interesting idea but I would still probably take the medal. πŸ™‚

25 Sarah M August 8, 2014 at 9:32 am

I have been wanting to do this race! Perhaps I can make it work out this year. Thats very interesting they ask that question. Medals are one of the main reasons I pick my half marathons. I like having the reminder of what I have accomplished.

26 Margo August 8, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I did the Runner’s World Hat Trick in Boston earlier this year. I totally loved it. If I had been doing just the 5k, 10k or half, then I would have opted out of the medals. Doing all three was a different story. That was a big accomplishment to me, and the three medals truly felt like a reward for my effort. Seems so silly, but I love seeing them hanging on my medal display.

27 Courtney August 8, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I love that they offer the option. I did the 5 and dime last year (I live here in Bethlehem) and declined the medals. I am not a medal person and usually decline them anyway, especially for short races. That said, I’m thinking of doing the half this year because I love that the star is on the medal. So I guess I only take the most special medals. πŸ™‚

28 Kristi August 8, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I’ve opted out of race shirts (save $5 on the registration). I’ve wanted to do this race because I read Kristin Armstrong’s blog and I’ve read a few of her books. I think she’s an amazing woman, and I’d love the chance to meet her! Have fun!

29 Haley @ Running with diapers August 8, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I don’t think I could opt out of any medals. I really like having the reminders from so many memories.

30 Sabrina August 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I need #allthemedals, too! That would be just crazy to say no.

31 [email protected] August 11, 2014 at 7:10 am

If I ran a race, I would totally want the medal… no shame either!!!

32 Courtney August 12, 2014 at 7:52 am

I’d take it for the half because I love my collection, but I think medals for anything less than 13.1 are just silly. I know, I know, you worked hard and trained for your first 5k, but “back in the day” we rarely even got medals for halfs… you will be just fine and just as proud of your accomplishment without one. I remember one charity run for our local zoo that people downright harassed them until they added medals. It was a 4 mile run.. and it was after registration already opened. Where did the money for those medals come from? Probably from the money earned for the zoo πŸ™

I’d rather opt out of the t-shirt. Seriously.. can’t we get a uniform sized women’s cut? I have larges that are nightgowns and I have larges that are basically compression gear.

33 Katrina August 13, 2014 at 10:44 am

I’ll be there running the 5K and 10K! Maybe I’ll run into you!

34 Eve August 14, 2014 at 2:31 am

Interesting topic.

It’s funny…..when I think of all the races I’ve done over the past few years, I’ve received a whopping two medals total. One for a half-marathon, and also one for a 5k ( a “Girls on the Run” Sparkle and Shine 5K, so, really, the medals were for the girls, but they gave ’em to the coaches, too). I’m actually upset that I didn’t get one for the 15K-9.3 miles is, in my opinion, a medal-worthy distance. I also was 6.5 weeks pregnant at the time and really felt like I earned a little more than just the satisfaction of having finished-not to mention I would have loved to have hung my baby’s “first race” medal in the nursery.

Good for Runner’s World for saying they want to reduce their carbon footprint, but the cynic in me thinks it’s also tied to cost, too. Did they offer to reduce your entry if you opted out of a medal? I’m guessing not. Additionally, as runners who exercise outside (and thus don’t need gym equipment/power/towels/disposable water cups/etc. that come with a gym membership), I think that’s a much greater way to reduce our carbon footprint than a handful of medals. Just my .02, though.

I’ll be running a 5K at almost 31 weeks pregnant, and found out today there are medals at the finish line. I think for 5Ks medals are TOTALLY unnecessary, but as my husband pointed out, he thinks running a race in my third trimester is definitely ‘medal-worthy!” I guess I’ll get one for baby’s nursery after all;-).