Life on the road

by Meghann on August 4, 2014

Hi friends!

It’s me again. Yes, I disappeared again and, sadly, that won’t be the last time.  I just returned from one work trip only to turn around and leave for another one in three short days. It’s a good thing I love my job. 😉

Last year I tried to balance keeping up with this blog, while working 12+ hour days on the road and it did not work. So this year I’ve decided to simply step away while I’m on the road. So far it’s been great. I was able to get to bed at a decent time each night and didn’t have to worry about sacrificing any sleep. To be honest, it was kind of refreshing to only have to focus on the work that needed to be done this weekend. (sadly, friends and family are also ignored while I’m on the road – I know, I’m heartless)

Last night I was dead asleep by 8:00pm. I’m pretty sure I fell asleep with the remote control in my hand while talking to a co-worker. I slept like a baby and didn’t move until my alarm went off a little after 6:00am. A full 10 hours of sleep and I still slept through both of my flights heading home. I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as too much catch-up sleep when it comes to working an event.

After landing in Tampa, I went straight to the office to play catch-up there before finally heading home. I made a quick stop at Publix (starving) and basically bought the store. How does one person buy $80 worth of groceries when they’re only going to be in town for another 2.5 days? I have no idea. But it happened. And I’m okay with it. (p.s. Derek usually does his own shopping when he’s on his own, so he was already stocked with “Derek supplies.”)

So what did that $80 Publix trip leave me for dinner? A bag of salad and rotisserie chicken. Because I’m fancy like that.

chicken salad dinner

This was my family’s go-to meal when we were kids. I can’t tell you how many times we stopped at Publix on the way home from soccer practice or dance class and Dad picked up a bag of salad and rotisserie chicken for dinner. I think we had it 2 times a week.

Don’t worry, that’s not the only thing I bought. I basically ate like crap on the road (when will I learn?!) so my cart was full of fruits, vegetables, and real food that did NOT resemble a french fry. I’m heading to the land of cheese on Thursday, so I need a little time to recover before feasting on cheese curds, right? 😉

Do you travel for work? How do you balance home life and life on the road?

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 4, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Eating well on the road is tough! I definitely try to keep the “treat” type meals to a minimum, and when in doubt, eat lots of veggies! 🙂

2 Stephanie August 4, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I wish I traveled for work! I’m a teacher so the only “traveling” I do is for field trips.

3 [email protected] August 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I only have to travel for work maybe 1-2x a year. Although by work I really mean track coaching which is volunteering 🙂

I just came back from a trip and although I tried to eat healthy – I’ve still eaten like crap. I had a restaurant meal at one of the popular chain restaurants in Canada (Montanas) and the overly processed food just didn’t agree with me. Looking forward to my usual diet this week!

4 Megan August 5, 2014 at 12:23 am

My husband travels quite a bit for work- several 2-3 day trips within the region a year and at least 3 longer trips a year. (He just got back from CO yesterday actually). He’s with a youth organization.

I’m a nurse and never get the opportunity to travel. (I mean, I could be a travel nurse but: husband and kids).

5 Laura August 5, 2014 at 12:42 am

By ‘Land of Cheese’ I can only assume you mean Wisconsin! The weather will be great here – you will have a great weekend 🙂
I am in Milwaukee, if you’re nearby would love to meet up!

6 Whitney W August 5, 2014 at 7:36 am

Delivery meals are awesome for traveling workers. I get meals delivered to a cross fit box where I travel, and they are there waiting for me when I arrive. Never have to think about it!

7 Beth August 5, 2014 at 9:35 am

Nick and I had that same dinner last night. You can’t go wrong with Publix chicken and salad bag. 😉

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 5, 2014 at 9:50 am

I must admit, I’m a bit jealous. I want a job that allows me to travel more. I understand at some point that it might get old, but I love that change and variety to my schedule and routine. The usual everyday 9-5 thing just doesn’t cut it for this girl..

9 Rebecca August 5, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I travel 50% for work (every-other week, for the week). You’re absolutely right, balance is super hard. I’ve been on the road for almost 10 yrs. My biggest tip is to not sweat the small stuff. I often fall into the trap of trying to get everything done in the weeks I am home. Clean the house, the laundry, yard work, etc. I have to constantly just remind myself to take time to recharge and reconnect with the people at home. If this means a dirty house or having to hire someone to help clean, that’s ok. And don’t sweat the meals on the road that aren’t the healthiest. Tell yourself you are going to make mostly good choices and then don’t worry about the times when you can’t. Because on the road there are plenty of times where you either have to eat not so great or not eat at all.

Ps- I was in Orlando this weekend for the first time since I was a kid. We went on a food tour and stopped at Jeremiah’s and I had to tell everyone about you (like we were real friends).

10 Christine August 5, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Nothing wrong with prioritizing. We all do it (I could stand to do it better!), and it makes life easier.

Eating well when traveling is a conundrum. On the one hand, taking healthy snacks makes it easier, but I’m wired to think that travel = splurging. Sometimes, that’s okay, just not all the time. After a while of eating crappy foods, I end up craving salads like crazy, so it all eventually balances out!

11 TC August 5, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I travel for work 5-7 times a year, for generally a week at a time. I also travel to visit family another three weeks of the year. The two things that have helped me have been 1) order the salad and 2) no alcohol. When I’m traveling, I eat out at a restaurant almost every night. I feel a lot better in the morning when I choose a salad for an entrée. Also, alcohol is really tempting because it’s on someone else’s dime and it helps make dinners less awkward, but if I have a couple glasses I am bound not to work out later in the night or the next morning because all I want to do is sleep.

12 Mandy August 5, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Are you going to the great state of Wisconsin! What city will you be in?

13 Jessica August 5, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Same as Mandy- going to Wisconsin?? What city because I live right below the border in Illinois.

14 Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty August 7, 2014 at 7:41 am

My friends always make fun of me for my go-to meal of a Publix rotisserie chicken because I’m always pushing it. We pair it with sweet potatoes or salad and we always have enough for lunch leftovers the next day. Best kinda healthy cheap meal ever.

15 Nancy August 10, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I travel for work a bit, plus I have rediculously long days so I feel your pain! Just do what you can do – it’s all that you can do 🙂