All About the Bread

by Meghann on July 29, 2014

My childhood home was less than a mile from one of Central Florida’s first Super Wal-Marts. It was a HUGE deal when the Super Wal-Mart first opened. A Wal-Mart and a complete grocery store in the same place? Mind blown. Hell, there was even a McDonalds in the back!

Due to the close proximity of the new Wal-Mart, my family spent a lot of time there. We did our weekly grocery shopping trips, random I-need-this-for-school trips, and need-a-quick-dinner-now trips. Some with mom, some with dad, and most with all four kids in tow. Almost every trip involved a very important stop – the bakery. It was located right near the front entrance and there was almost always a basket out front filled with fresh loaves of french bread. The majority of the time it was still warm, fresh out of the oven. My mom was more drawn to it than my dad – grabbing a loaf and passing it around to each kid before we even left the store. It was our little tradition and enough to keep us satisfied before we got home.

We moved away from the home next to Wal-Mart when I was fourteen. After that we became Publix loyalist (now living as close to a Publix as we once were to the Wal-Mart) and, though Publix carried loaves of french bread, the weekly purchase of bread to snack on on the way home stopped. In fact, it’s been years since I dug into a loaf of french bread before even walking out of the store.

Last night, however, I found myself taking a trip down memory lane. I popped into Publix on the way home last night to pick up shredded cheese for the enchilada bake I had planned for dinner and stopped in the bakery. As I was eyeing the sweet treats (as I usually do), one of the bakers crossed in front of me, arms full with loaves of french bread. They were warm, hot out of the oven, and smelled amazing. Having just come from work, I was starving and couldn’t resist helping take one off of her hands. I barely made it past the cash register before I was ripping into the bag and taking a nice chunk of white bread. Boy did that hit the spot!

Of course, then I got home and realized I had this nearly 3 foot (I maybe exaggerating here) to eat on my own (Derek’s gluten free). Still worth it.

20140729_184614

This morning I sliced the bread, dipped it in egg with cinnamon, and made french toast.

20140729_071838

Such an easy – and fun! – mid-week breakfast treat.

20140729_072014

And tonight I made french loaf pizza.

20140729_184652

This was fairly easy, I halved a 6 inch portion of the loaf, topped it with marinara sauce and fresh mozzarella cheese, then baked  a 375 for 10 minutes.

20140729_184959

I also added some slices of turkey in the last couple of minutes.

20140729_190027

So good.

20140729_190112

And because I still have bread left, I made a marinara and mozzarella sandwich for lunch tomorrow.

20140729_192240

20140729_192249

Oh, and there’s enough for peanut butter toast in the morning. It’s the never ending loaf! Growing up, a loaf of bread wouldn’t last 10 minutes in our household. I guess I’m missing my three siblings to help me tear  through it.

What’s a food that stands out from your childhood?

1 Kate @KateMovingForward July 29, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Oh my word that looks sooo good! I love bread like that, but keeping it in the house is a danger–I could never spread it out like you’ve done, but man almighty it looks good!

2 Addie July 29, 2014 at 11:13 pm

All of your variations look amazing! I don’t mean this to seem overly critical, but I work in a Publix bakery and I believe that is actually Cuban bread. French bread has 4 diagonal “slits” down the front as opposed to one down the middle. There isn’t much difference between the two, but I just thought I’d clarify.

3 Liz July 29, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Just a note about Publix – they have refused to sign the Fair Food Agreement with CIW since 2009: http://ciw-online.org/publix/. Just wanted to give you a heads up so that maybe you’ll do some research and sign the petition. (I’m not an advocate of boycotts, nor do I have any judgment around you shopping at Publix – just wanted to bring the info to your attention!)

4 Traci July 30, 2014 at 1:52 am

Mmmm. I love bread, and I love fresh mozzarella! Neither thing lasts very long in my kitchen. My childhood food favorite was my mom’s homemade chocolate chip cookies.

5 Sabrina July 30, 2014 at 4:54 am

I lust for a warm loaf of French bread (I am gluten free too) again or my moms gnocchi which was my childhood favorite!

6 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed July 30, 2014 at 7:31 am

I do not eat bread very often, but dang that looks good. I love a good crusty on the outside, soft on the inside, still warm loaf! And don’t even get me started on fresh mozzarella 🙂

7 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 30, 2014 at 8:21 am

A childhood food I remember is “love.” My mom would make us toast for breakfast with butter, then sprinkle on a container with “love:” cinnamon-sugar. My sister was even randomly gifted with one of the Love containers at her baby shower a few years ago, which brought back the memory!

8 Lesley July 30, 2014 at 9:13 am

There are so many reasons why I’m not gluten free and this is one of them. All of that looks so good, especially the loaf pizza. I’ll have to try that soon.

9 The Many Thoughts of a Reader July 30, 2014 at 9:37 am

The fresh bread calls to me too. I got a french loaf of everything bread the other day. Yummmm.

10 Mary July 30, 2014 at 10:55 am

Bread is my one major weakness when it comes to food! When I was younger I used to make a tiny hole in the bottom of a loaf and then hollow out the inside so that my Mum didn’t notice any was missing! We hardly ever buy bread now as we never get through a loaf in time with just two of us but I do make sure to grab several sandwiches and bread heavy meals eveytime I visit my parents!

11 Courtney July 30, 2014 at 11:01 am

Most of my best food memories when I was younger are from restaurants :-\ We didn’t do a ton of from scratch cooking. I remember special trips to the mall with my Mom and getting an Auntie Anne’s pretzel and a caramel dip for it… and every special occasion since I can remember has been celebrated at a Red Lobster, lol.

12 [email protected] July 30, 2014 at 11:15 am

Ohhhh yeahhh, I love big loaves of bread dipped in olive oil. Mashed potatoes stand out from my childhood, and still do! My moms are amazing:)

13 Erin July 30, 2014 at 11:44 am

My childhood food I always remember my grandmother making me when I would stay over is eggs in bird’s nest. When you take a piece of toast use a cup to cut out the center then scramble the eggs in there. Gosh, I want to make that now. Also, love your ideas for what to do with a loaf. Is it creepy I miss knowing what you eat?! You always had the best meal ideas -quick and easy for someone like me on the go!

14 Emily July 30, 2014 at 11:53 am

When I was a kid, on a warm summer night we would all like into my dad’s Jeep Wrangler with the top down and take a drive around town. On our way home we would stop at the gas station and pick up 4-5 candy bars, usually some combination of Snickers, Butterfinger, Twix, Baby Ruth, Kit Kat, or Nut Roll. At home Mom would cut them all up into bite-sized pieces served on a wooden cheese plate. I don’t know what that always made cheap chocolate bars taste better, shared with the whole family after a drive through town, but it did.

15 Amanda July 30, 2014 at 11:57 am

I absolutely love fresh bread. We use to make it in a bread machine when I was younger. Cheddar and jalapeno for chili nights and sun-dried tomato for spaghetti nights. That french bread looks incredible, as does that french toast and the sandwich.

16 Shelly July 30, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Mac & cheese – either Velveeta or Kraft. I swear I ate this pretty much every Sunday after church. Now it’s my go-to comfort food when I’m sick.

17 Kelly July 30, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I am a long time reader with a daughter that was recently diagnosed with Celiac’s. I would LOVE to read a post about how you and Derek go about your daily living with him being gluten free! Are most of your meals gluten free? Do you have a separate toaster for your bread? 🙂

18 Christine July 30, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I loved this! I will sometimes purchase a similar loaf at the grocery store if I’m planning on making French toast on the weekend. More often than not, I will always sample a few chunks before the drive home (and because bringing in groceries requires energy.)

19 Haley @ Running with diapers July 30, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I grew up eating spaghetti every Sunday at my grandparents house. We used to buy two loaves of French or Cuban bread to go with out pasta and salad. I would do the same thing as you and eat the heel of the loaf before we ever got home.

20 [email protected] July 31, 2014 at 8:24 am

French bread pizza is the best! When I first started reading this post, I thought it was a sponsored post for Walmart and I was bummed you were doing a sponsorship with them-glad that wasn’t the case! 🙂

21 joelle (on a pink typewriter) July 31, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Oh, pancakes hands down! And any Italian dishes. My mom is the best cook and always make homemade Italian meals for dinner when I was growing up.

22 [email protected] July 31, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Homemade Lasagna was my childhood fave. 🙂

23 Lindsay @ lifting in lilly August 1, 2014 at 11:33 am

That’s so funny because my family would have a fresh loaf of Italian bread at most meals as well! I would load it up with butter, dip it in whatever sauce we had, and I can still taste it now!!

24 Laura August 3, 2014 at 4:23 pm

There truly isn’t anything better than freshly baked bread! Question– what made Derek decide to go gluten free? Was he experiencing problems? I only ask because my husband is having a lot of digestive issues and I think gluten might be the culprit. I think a guest post from Derek would be an awesome idea….why he did it, what he’s realized since going gluten free, how he feels now, etc. thanks!!

25 Meghann August 4, 2014 at 8:20 pm

He went gluten free last November due to stomach issues. I’ve asked Derek to do a guest post on his experience, but he’d prefer to remain quiet on he matter.

26 Michael VanDervort August 4, 2014 at 8:56 am

What great ideas for so many different uses from one simple product! Loved it.

27 Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom August 4, 2014 at 8:58 am

My grandpa was a baker. He owned his own bakery for years. I’m actually getting ready to get a lesson from him on bread making!

28 Sabrina August 4, 2014 at 8:10 pm

You actually eat white bread? I am surprised as white bread is devoid of nutrients and is basically simple carbs….I thought this blog was devoted to healthy eating and working out.