Roar Means I Love You in Dinosaur

by Meghann on July 13, 2014

Almost as soon as my sister announced she was pregnant, we pulled out our Google calendars and picked a date for the future baby shower. At the time it was January, Kelly’s bump was barely a bump, and “July 12th” seemed like an eternity away. Where the last 6 months went – I have no idea. Now we’re less than a month from Baby M’s arrival, and Kelly’s bump is clearly out and proud.

IMG_4385

And it’s adorable an adorable bump, too. Clearly pregnancy looks great on my sister. And that dress? Fabulous!

In the initial baby shower brainstorming, Kelly had a couple requests: a co-ed shower and nothing “fancy.” Done. Easy enough. My sister-in-law Ashley and I had free reign for the remaining details. We decided on a blue/green dinosaur theme that matched Kelly’s nursery décor and a summer barbeque menu.

I ordered the invitation graphic through Etsy hoping to save some money by printing them myself. Awful idea. By the time everything was said and done, it probably would have been cheaper  – and most definitely easier – to just pay to have the Etsy dealer print them.

I had them printed through FedEx, but the online ordering system confused me so they were the wrong size and looked stretched out and cheap. Then I couldn’t find envelopes to fit the now 5×7 invitations, so I had to settle with “wedding invitation” envelopes from Michaels, which were pricey and way too large. By this point it was already June and I needed to get these invites out. Oh, well. They did what they needed to do – tell people about the event.

Dinosaur_4x6

To keep us organized, Ashley and I shared a spreadsheet on Google Drive that tracked RSVPs, menu items, games, and decorations. We tagged teamed our efforts and ended up throwing Baby M a kick butt party without pulling our hair out. Yay, teamwork!

IMG_4359 IMG_4335 IMG_4348 IMG_4366 IMG_4370 IMG_4369

IMG_4375 IMG_4377

Menu:

• Beer can chicken
  • Vegetable kabobs
  • Homemade potato salad
  • Caprese salad
  • Fresh berries
  • Mac & cheese cups
  • Corn on the cob
  • Deviled eggs
  • Mini cupcakes
  • Cake

IMG_4398

The food was amazing. My dad was in charge of meat, so he bought 12 chickens, brought the big grill home from work, and went to town making enough of his famous beer can chicken to feed an army. Ashley and my mom made the majority of the food on Friday and I just had to make the mac & cheese cups on Saturday. Everything was homemade and delicious.

IMG_4410

IMG_4411

IMG_4419

After we ate, we invited everyone outside for the “games” portion of the shower. Ashley had pieced together a relay/ baby obstacle course to determine who was the ultimate baby sitter for Baby M.

IMG_4426

First they had to bob for (bottle) nipples.

IMG_4508 IMG_4510

Then chug a bottle of beer

IMG_4512 IMG_4514

Put a diaper on the stuffed animal

IMG_4516

Strap the stuffed animal in the stroller

IMG_4520

And finally push the stroller through the coned course and to the finish line.

IMG_4524

It was definitely not your traditional baby shower game, but it fit the crowd and everyone had a blast.

baby shower relay game.png

IMG_4596

The party ended with presents and lots of love and laughter.

IMG_4612 IMG_4622 IMG_4628

Baby M is the first grandkid for both sides of the family. There are so many aunts, uncles, and grandparents that can’t wait to meet him in just a few short weeks. The love for Baby M simply radiated from the room.

IMG_4640

We also can’t wait for Baby M’s name! No one knows – not even the parents. I guess we’ll just have to wait for the big birth day to find out!

IMG_4647

We love you, Kelly and Anthony! You guys are going to make incredible parents and I can’t wait to meet your little guy. Aunt Meghann is armed and ready to spoil!

1 breah July 13, 2014 at 8:14 pm

just noticed your tattoo! ouch…did it hurt on your foot? thinking of getting one!!

2 Molly Rose July 13, 2014 at 8:28 pm

haha I love how that (AWESOME) game “fit the crowd”. Screw traditional, that game looks like fun! Congrats to your sister 🙂
Molly Rose recently posted..Seattle, WA

3 [email protected] July 13, 2014 at 8:39 pm

How sweet. Congrats to them!!!! Looks like a lovely day. 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..Getting Real About Getting Healthy – Why You Aren’t Losing That Weight

4 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna July 13, 2014 at 8:41 pm

looks like a fun + love-filled baby shower 🙂 congrats to your sister! + love your dress, it’s gorgeous!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..apartment meals made simple {series}

5 Britt July 13, 2014 at 8:42 pm

This post was so adorable. Glad the baby shower went well!

6 Courtney July 13, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I’m not sure whose dress I love more. You both looked fantastic!
Such a fun shower! I’m so jealous of what a great relationship you have with your sister (and sister-in-law)! Makes me wish I had a sister 🙂
Courtney recently posted..Grandma’s Marathon!: Race Recap

7 Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete July 13, 2014 at 8:51 pm

OMG That’s the best baby shower I’ve ever seen!
Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete recently posted..Marathon Training: Week Five

8 Traci July 13, 2014 at 9:12 pm

LOVE the theme of the shower, and the invites! Sorry they were so much trouble to print. Congrats to all! (Aunthood is the best thing ever. Seriously.)
Traci recently posted..Sparks Start Small

9 Annette @FitnessPerks July 13, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Such a cute shower!! And I love her dress!!

That relay game was genius. Love!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Things {3}

10 Liz July 13, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I am a HUGE fan of that Anderson Rentals onesie!

11 Sabrina July 13, 2014 at 10:16 pm

How adorable! That game cracks me up! Great job, Aunt Meghann.
Sabrina recently posted..A New Home

12 Josh July 13, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Go Gators!

13 Mary July 14, 2014 at 4:47 am

Love that you went with a dinosaur theme. Sounds like you and Ashley were very organised! What a great idea for the baby obstacle course. Looks like loads of fun. I’m going to keep that one in mind for when I organise future baby shower events! It seems like everyone is having babies at the moment. In the past we’ve done smell-the-nappy and how-much-string-round-the-belly games, which were great fun too.
Mary recently posted..A mid run dip in the lake

14 Runner Girl Eats July 14, 2014 at 6:11 am

LOVE the relay game. I will definitely be stealing that next time I plan a baby shower. So fun!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Still running.

15 Alexis Teevens July 14, 2014 at 6:22 am

That looks like the most fun shower game in the history of the universe.
Alexis Teevens recently posted..Workout Recap 7.7-7.13

16 Christie July 14, 2014 at 8:28 am

You can just tell from these pictures that there is so much love in your family and that you enjoy being together so much! Thanks for sharing these insights into your personal life. Another great reminder of what’s important in life–family, fun and laughter!

17 [email protected] July 14, 2014 at 8:35 am

Kelly looks great!! You’re dress and necklace combo is too cute! And I LOVE the baby relay game. So many baby showers are super lame, I’m going to remember this and request when I’m pregnant!
[email protected] recently posted..Last Week’s Workouts and this Weekend’s Triathlon

18 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life July 14, 2014 at 9:04 am

What an adorable baby shower! I can’t help but ask, do you know where Kelly got her dress? It’s ADORABLE and I’m looking for something to wear to my baby shower 🙂
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..The Road To Pregnancy.

19 Kim July 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Awesome baby shower! I did the whole buy an invitation design off of Etsy (so many gtreat designers out there!) and had them printed elsewhere, too. I used Vistaprint as my printing vendor and they turned out really well. It was cost effective as Vistaprint always has an online coupon code and the invitations came with envelopes. Would definitely go this route again for future events!

20 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 14, 2014 at 12:57 pm

What a beautiful shower! GREAT job!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..The Marathon Stage

21 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life July 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm

That might just be the best baby shower game I’ve ever seen! So much better than the standard “guess the baby food flavor” or my least favorite EVER “let’s put a smushed candy bar in a diaper so it looks like poop and make you guess what kind it is”. Who even thought that sounded like a good idea?
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Going Wild: A weekend recap

22 CaitlinHTP July 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Clearly, best shower game ever.

23 The Many Thoughts of a Reader July 14, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Looks like a lot of fun!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..August Group Read Suggestions

24 Kari @ Kari On July 14, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I love the obstacle course idea…might be stealing that for the next baby shower I help plan!
Kari @ Kari On recently posted..Monday Again

25 Heather July 14, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Very sweet! I love the dino theme and Kelly looks beautiful!!!

26 emmalee July 14, 2014 at 11:46 pm

I absolutely love that baby shower game! sooooo much better than guessing the candy bar in the diaper (um, ew?!). also, you look so, so cute! i love the dress/necklace combo, it’s adorable!

27 crystal July 15, 2014 at 9:55 am

I love that they don’t know the name. My last kid was nameless for a week before we picked the perfect name.

28 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 15, 2014 at 11:09 am

What a great shower! I’ve always wanted to have a co-ed shower, too. That game looks fun for everyone! Your sister is beautiful.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Perfect Saturday

29 Laureen @Peachylau July 16, 2014 at 9:49 am

Everything looks so cute!

30 Reenie July 16, 2014 at 3:25 pm

WOW!! Now that’s a baby shower. Everything look great. Cute dresses you and Kel have on. 🙂

31 Ashley July 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm

That looks like the best baby shower EVER! love the game idea! you guys did a fantastic job! Congrats