Summer Reading

by Meghann on July 6, 2014

Happy Sunday! I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July weekend!

10363336_10104736260368103_6181750858515809406_n

Poor Maddie, she had no idea what she was in for. The Fourth of July really is the worst holiday for dogs. She basically refused to move from under the bed all night.

10527601_10154378816465078_4785437202459364629_n

Our long weekend was a little on the boring side. We watched a lot of tv, spent a lot of time on the couch, and really did absolutely nothing. To be honest, I started to get a little stir crazy today (I can only spend so much time inside) and escaped to Starbucks for a few hours to get some work done. Yes, I was so bored I opted to work on my long weekend. Clearly I wasn’t built for just sitting on a couch watching tv all day.

P.S. Rainy season in Florida blows. It was pretty much on/off raining every other hour all weekend. Boo.

rain

Summer Reading

Have you read any good books lately? I’ve been tearing through them this summer. Here’s a list of what I’ve recently finished:

Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight

reconstructing amelia

When Kate, single mother and law firm partner, gets an urgent phone call summoning her to her daughter’s exclusive private school, she’s shocked. Amelia has been suspended for cheating, something that would be completely out of character for her over-achieving, well-behaved daughter. Kate rushes to Grace Hall, but what she finds when she finally arrives is beyond comprehension. Her daughter is dead.

Reconstructing Amelia follows a grieving mother as she fights to learn the truth behind her daughter’s death. It’s a great mystery and page turner. Highly recommend.

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Rosie Project

Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. So when an acquaintance informs him that he would make a “wonderful” husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet he must concede to the statistical probability that there is someone for everyone, and Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical – most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver. Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent – and on a quest of her own….

The Rosie Project has been on so many bestseller lists, I had really high hopes for it. Unfortunately it was just okay. It’s an easy read, but I didn’t have the can’t-put-this-down feeling I usually get with great books.

Paper Towns by John Green

Paper towns

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life – dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge – he follows.

This book came highly recommended by a friend who knew I loved The Fault in Our Stars (another John Green novel). I’m torn on this one because I really enjoy John Green’s writing style, but the story didn’t draw me in as much as The Fault is in Our Stars. However, the fact that the novel is set in Orlando did pique my interest. The “Jefferson Park” neighborhood is clearly modeled off of Baldwin Park, right?

Up Next: I think I’m going to read the Maze Runner. Any other books I should check out this summer?

1 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 6, 2014 at 10:22 pm

This was my dogs first fireworks experience and I was surprised how great she did!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Fun At the Beach and Weekly Recap

2 Lisa @ Life as Lisa Knows It July 6, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I LOVED Still Missing by Chevy Stevens and have recommended it to all my friends that like to read.

3 Kate @KateMovingForward July 6, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I need to get back to reading more! Thanks for the recommendations! The only book I’ve read lately is The Nesting Place which was a decorating book. 🙂 It was good though and had lots of pretty pictures!
Kate @KateMovingForward recently posted..Best Chicken Marinade of Your Life

4 Amy @ Army Amy July 7, 2014 at 2:29 am

I’m a JG fan too, but Paper Towns was my least favorite. If you want something else by him, I’d suggest An Abundance of Katherines (it’s light and funny) or Looking for Alaska (it’s more serious, along the lines of TFioS). Two of my favorite books this year that you might like are Ella Minnow Pea and Code Name Verity. Happy reading!
Amy @ Army Amy recently posted..4th of July 5k Race Recap

5 EB @Running on E July 7, 2014 at 2:37 am

That comic perfectly describes my dog on the 4th too!
EB @Running on E recently posted..50k Training Week 8: 6/30-7-6

6 Courtney July 7, 2014 at 3:01 am

I usually more or less enjoy John Green, but every book is literally the same: Quirky boy/girl falls for hot boy/girl. Quirky boy/girl is too quirky to land hot boy/girl.. but wait!!!! Quirky boy/girl is beautiful on the INSIDE….. and hot boy/girl is deep and sophisticated enough to see that!!!! They exchange witty banter and then face something kinda sad.

I will second Liane Moriarty. I really liked The Husband’s Secret and I also really like Gillian Flynn. If you like her and books like Gone Girl, then you should check out Heather Gudenkauf.

I also really liked A House in The Sky by Amanda Lindhout which is her memoir about being captured in Somalia.

I get kinda excited about books, so sorry for the rambling!
Courtney recently posted..Grandma’s Marathon!: Race Recap

7 Madeline July 7, 2014 at 3:36 am

Hi Meghann! I know you’ve listened to audio books in the past, can you note if you used audio books in your reviews? Personally, a bad narrator has made it hard for me to get into books but when I went back and read the book myself, I ended up loving it. Just something to consider! I’m usually a voracious reader but school plus full time work plus marathon training has put things on hold for awhile. During my next break between classes I plan to read “This is Where I Leave You,” “We Were Liars” and “All the Light We Cannot See” (at least!).

8 Amanda July 7, 2014 at 4:24 am

I’ve heard great things about all of these books. I have The Rosie Project on my kindle and can’t wait to read it!

9 Vita July 7, 2014 at 4:33 am

You should definitely check out any of Rainbow Rowell’s books. All of them are great (and there is a new one out – Landline).

10 Shelly July 7, 2014 at 5:46 am

Thanks for the recommendations! I just added Reconstructing Amelia to my list!

11 Runner Girl Eats July 7, 2014 at 6:04 am

Thanks for the book recommendations! I’ve been reading a lot this summer. I recently read some Susan Monk Kidd and think it’s perfect summer reading. Great stories that suck you in.
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Fireworks and fun

12 Danielle @ It's a Harleyyy Life July 7, 2014 at 6:31 am

I read The One & Only by Emily Giffin and loved it!
Danielle @ It’s a Harleyyy Life recently posted..WODzilla & Reebok CrossFit Clothes You Should Buy

13 Meghann July 7, 2014 at 1:44 pm

That’s on my “to read” list. I think I need a good Emily Griffin chick lit in my life.

14 The Many Thoughts of a Reader July 7, 2014 at 6:32 am

I read 7 books last month.. Out of those I’d recommend South of Broad – Pat Conro, Eleanor & Park – Rainbow Rowell, Sullivan’s Island – Dorothea Benton Frank, I’ll be seeing you –Suzanne Hayes, or gods in Alabama by Joshilynn Jackson.
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

15 Kelly July 7, 2014 at 6:35 am

I’m with you, if all I am doing is sitting around I get bored out of my mind. That’s why whenever long weekends come around I try to think of a project or two I want to tackle – i.e. a DIY project, a few recipes to stash in the refrigerator, etc. It’s nice because it’s a good chance to do the things I never seem to have time for during an average weekend and it definitely keeps me from getting bored.

Unrelated, I’m curious, you’ve talked a bit about house hunting but not about house selling?
Kelly recently posted..Smoked Eggplant and Goat Cheese Dip

16 Meghann July 7, 2014 at 1:42 pm

We’re lucky enough to not have to worry about selling for the moment. Once everything is finalized, I’ll write about it. 😉

17 Alexis Teevens July 7, 2014 at 7:10 am

Have you read Looking for Alaska by John Green? That’s the book that made me fall in love with him, even before The Fault in Our Stars. I was also a huge fan of Americanah.
Alexis Teevens recently posted..Welcome to RUN Crush!

18 Meghann July 7, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I have not, but my friend did recommend a few other books of his. I’ll have to add that one the list.

19 Bernadette July 7, 2014 at 7:22 am

The book is actually called “The Fault in our Stars”, not “The Fault is in our Stars.” Just FYI!

20 molly July 7, 2014 at 7:48 am

Im currently reading All The Light We Cannot See (historical fiction) and next on my list is The Dinner. Thanks for your recommendations!

21 Eliana July 7, 2014 at 8:02 am

I just finished reading the Night Film by Marisha Pessl. By far the best book i’ve read in a long time! If you like a good emotional thriller mystery i would highly recommend it! It even comes with an app for added content. Loved it.

22 [email protected] July 7, 2014 at 8:35 am

Our dog is surprisingly not scared by the fireworks and is completely fine which is odd considering she’s scared of other random non-scary things! I’m on the library waiting list for Hillary Clinton’s new book and I’m hoping it will be good!
[email protected] recently posted..Strength Training for Triathlons

23 Meghann July 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Maddie is absolutely terrified by all loud noises, especially thunder and fireworks.

24 Mary July 7, 2014 at 8:54 am

I just haven’t had time to read this year – this makes me really sad. 🙁 I’m hoping that I can sneak in a couple of books on our honeymoon flight this Summer though and get a bit of reading in.
I love Jodi Picoult’s Nineteen Minutes. If you’ve not read it, it’s a great fiction read based on the school shootings in America.
Mary recently posted..Catching up with people

25 Meghann July 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Yes, I read that back in college – great book. If you’re tight on time, highly recommend audiobooks. I listen to them on my runs and during my commute to the office.

26 [email protected] July 7, 2014 at 9:17 am

I am looking for some good summer reads too. 🙁 I still have 1 book in the Divergent series left though.
[email protected] recently posted..Spending the 4th of July with Maroon 5 and Other Tales from the Weekend

27 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 7, 2014 at 9:22 am

I’ve been rereading books off my shelf in an effort to save money. I highly recommend anything by Liane Moriarty. I read all of her books in a matter of weeks–they were definitely can’t-put-down books.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..27 Things

28 Haley @ TheSnacksofLife July 7, 2014 at 9:34 am

I am going to have to check out Paper Towns! John Green totally surprised me with The Fault in Our Stars, he is great. Thanks for the suggestions- gotta love summer reading!
Haley @ TheSnacksofLife recently posted..Here Goes Nothin’

29 Kathleen July 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

I just recently read Reconstructing Amelia and loved it! The Vacationers is sitting on my night stand but I haven’t started it yet!

30 Stacey July 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

Read the Maze Runner! So good! I zipped through it!

31 Michele July 7, 2014 at 12:26 pm

You would LOVE the Mortal Instruments series! I was hooked right away. This series has it all – action, adventure, comedy, mystery, and heart-stopping romance (I admit to a major character crush on the main guy). The first book is City of Bones (there is a prequel series but I would read it after).

Maze runner is okay, I just never fell in love with the characters. The first book is much better than the next two but still not amazing.

32 Meghann July 7, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll have to check that series out!

33 Jennifer July 7, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I second Eliana. I am currently reading Night Film and can not put it down.

34 Brooke D July 7, 2014 at 1:26 pm

All of those books are on my to-read list! I read The Maze Runner a few months ago – it’s entertaining! Not amazing, but enjoyable. I recommend The Mortal Instruments series – totally addicting.

35 Lauren July 7, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I just finished the one and only by Emily Giffin – could not put it down!

36 Natalie @ Free Range Human July 9, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I would suggest any of Gillian Flynn’s novels. They’re super dark, but riveting!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..A Long Way From Nowhere

37 amyt July 14, 2014 at 3:49 pm

The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning…..there are 7 books
Dark Fever, Blood Fever, Fae Fever, Dream Fever, Shadow Fever, Fever Moon, and Iced. She is coming out with Burned next year. Highly recommend these….I love Books in a Series.

I agree Gillian Flynn is a very good writing, a little dark.
Gone Girl, Dark Places, and Sharp Objects…all 3 good.

38 Kathy July 16, 2014 at 12:03 am

Have you read Jennie Lawson’s Let’s Pretend this Never Happened? It’s my go to recommendation and the funniest book ever