Sunday Funday

by Meghann on June 15, 2014

Happy Father’s Day to all the amazing Dads out there!

Especially my Dad because, well, he’s my Dad and that makes him the best dad in the world. Obviously. 😉

10433822_10104653734096413_2885047203305208757_n

This photo is a classic. Mom is probably taking the photo, Dad is ready to leave, I look annoyed, Josh is following directions by saying cheese, Ben is just plain cute and adorable, and Kelly is in the back with a snowball (also looking cute and adorable).  Oh, and it’s a polaroid. Who needs formal family photos when you have classics like these?

My Dad is currently celebrating Father’s Day and my brother’s graduation from residency.

IMG_3410

Yes, that included a trip to Disneyland. My Dad remembers seeing Walt Disney World the same month it opened in Florida, but he’s never been to Disneyland before! From all the texts and photos I’ve seen come through this weekend, it looks like they’re having a blast. Another reason why my Dad’s the coolest – he’s a Disney fan, just like me! 😉

I celebrated Father’s Day with the other Dad in my life, my Father-in-Law, who is pretty incredible himself. Not only did he raise the man I love, but he’s welcomed me in the family since day one.

20140615_092752

Derek and I had breakfast with his Dad, aunt, and Grandparents at Cracker Barrel.  I had the Good Morning Breakfast (two eggs, turkey sausage, grits, tomato slices, fresh fruit) from the “wholesome” menu. For Cracker Barrel standards, it was a nice light breakfast and exactly what I was craving.

20140615_083906

Derek and I have been in a bit of a rut lately when it comes to finding things to do for date nights. We seem to be stuck in the dinner and a movie routine, which is awesome because we both love seeing movies, but also a little boring. We decided we need to find things to do that are a little more interactive and adventurous.

Last night we decided to branch out and attempted to paint pottery, but severely underestimated how much time it would take us. When we showed up an hour before they closed, the attendant politely told us the process take 2-3 hours and there’s no way we would have time to finish if we started then. Whoops.

So on the way home we made a pact to move our originally scheduled date night to Sunday and opted to switch it up a bit. Instead of painting pottery, we headed to the local Grand Prix Family Fun Center for an afternoon of batting cages, go-karts, and arcade games.

20140615_152512

The batting cages are actually something I’ve been begging Derek to take me to for a while. Derek grew up playing baseball and is a huge fan of the sport. I, on the other hand, have never played a game of softball/baseball in my life and am not sure I’ve ever stepped in a batting cage before either. However, trying something new sounded like fun and I was up to the challenge.

10436244_10104655946617503_8865577548752368968_n

Yes, I took the batting cages very seriously.

Derek gave me a quick lesson on how to hold the bat, then led me to the “slow pitch softball” cage. I was expecting not to hit a thing, but surprised myself by actually making contact with a few balls. I wouldn’t say I’m a pro, or even ready to  take on an actual game of softball, but it was really fun and entertaining just to try. Also, a great way to work up a sweat.

20140615_141637

Derek did awesome. He said it’s been years since he’d been a cage, but you couldn’t tell – he was on fire. I was a proud wife watching him rediscovering something he clearly loved all over again.

20140615_141720

We moved from the batting cages to the go-karts, where Derek kicked my booty around the track.

20140615_142831

And then to the arcade, for a handful of games.

20140615_152142

Derek may have won on the track, but check out who won at hoops.

hoops scores

Ohhhh!!! I’ve NEVER won a game of hoops in my life, so clearly it needed to be documented. 😉

And what’s a day at the arcade without an obnoxiously blue Icee to go with it?

20140615_144110

My first Icee in years. Just a sweet and refreshing as I remembered.

20140615_143539

We had a BLAST. Definitely an outing we need to repeat in the near future.

Do you have any date night suggestions? We need help!

1 Kathy June 15, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Thats looks like a blast! Suggestions: bowling, going to a local club to hear music, spa date for a couples massage, cooking class, wine tasting

2 Betsy June 16, 2014 at 12:11 am

We have a Thursday night tradition (that’s our date night, because it’s the end of our work week): a crusty loaf of French bread, a hunk or two of yummy cheese (most often including a smoky brie), and a bottle of red. We talk about anything and everything. Anything that’s on our mind from the week, to unload and unwind. Nice romantic music in the background, dim lighting, candles… it’s perfection. We look forward to it sooooo much! Plus, it’s cheap and easy.

3 Jess June 16, 2014 at 1:32 am

Eh, I like the whole dinner date thing. We tend to have adventures as a family when we have my stepson, so our date nights are pretty quiet. Some family things we do are: Wildlife park (little one loves it and we have annual passes so we go often), zoo, cable car (in Wellington so obviously not a suggestion but may trigger an idea for something near you), going for ice cream, museums, looking in rock pools. All of the above are fun without a kid, promise! We also like going for coffee/lunch somewhere neither of us have been before.

4 Runner Girl Eats June 16, 2014 at 6:29 am

Our date nights are usually pretty boring-dinner and a movie too. But we also like to switch it up and do a hike picnic.
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Travel Runner

5 Anna June 16, 2014 at 8:23 am

My hubby and I just tried doing a date night just like this a few weeks ago. I played college softball and he played high school baseball. We got to our local spot like you went to, only to find out there wasn’t any batting cages. We were so sad that we just went home, didn’t even do anything else. I love active date nights like this, it’s fun to be a kid again!

6 Courtney June 16, 2014 at 10:05 am

We take turns planning one “secret” date a month. The other person just knows the date and time, but I plan everything else and it usually includes a meal and an activity. It takes the pressure off of trying to agree on something on the spot.
It also got a lot easier trying to pick things to do by making a bucket list for our city. We would like to move someday, so I made a list of things I would be sad not to have experienced if we left… like the WW1 museum, seeing a show in the KC Symphony Hall and a bunch of restaurants. Even if you aren’t planning on leaving, having a list of things you have never done before to look at could make it easier to choose!
Courtney recently posted..Bring on the Challenge!

7 Laureen @peachylau June 16, 2014 at 11:11 am

You really look like you had a lot of fun! We went to a sushi class once for date night (or date day) and that was a really cool thing to do together.
Laureen @peachylau recently posted..Music Monday #1

8 Allison June 16, 2014 at 11:13 am

That is fun! Love y’all’s date night!

9 [email protected] June 16, 2014 at 12:50 pm

We like to take turns planning a surprise date once a month for each other. We ended up at a restaurant where I ate antelope for the first time ever and another time we rented SUP’s and took a lesson-it was a blast!
[email protected] recently posted..Ironman Raleigh 70.3 Recap Part 2

10 lindsay @ lifting in lilly June 16, 2014 at 4:37 pm

your date sounds very fun! we mostly do dinner and drinks as our nights out, but i kind of consider everything we do together “dates’… even crossfit, the driving range, ice cream, mini golf, dog park, beach, hikes, runs, etc. it’s kind of fun to think of it like that!
lindsay @ lifting in lilly recently posted..hola!

11 Sam @ The Running Graduate June 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Some of my favorite date nights have involved Bowling! I also am a sucker for mini golf/driving ranges. I also love dates that involve anything outside, whether it’s just a hike or going to check out a baseball game!
Sam @ The Running Graduate recently posted..A Maine Weekend | Sunday Photo Sharing

12 Lindsey June 17, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Love your shorts, you’re wearing in the batting cage! Where did you get them?

13 Meghann June 18, 2014 at 8:04 am

They’re Brooks PureProject. I’m obsessed! They have pockets and are super comfortable.

14 Rebekah June 18, 2014 at 3:26 pm

CHECK OUT GROUPON and LIVING SOCIAL! They have tons of date night ideas.

Bowling

Painting (not pottery, on an easel. See if your city has something like mine:

New ice cream places nearby your city?