What I’ve Been Cooking

by Meghann on May 22, 2014

Guess who got their cooking mojo back? This girl!

I’ve been in a major cooking rut lately, which I attribute to a mix of working late nights and house hunting after work. Most nights, by the time I arrive home, I’m starving and lack any creativity when it comes to preparing something to eat. I just want something quick, easy, and filling. Derek and I were pretty much relying on eggs and different variations of tacos to get us through the week.

When Derek and I had finally reached our limit on how many eggs we could stand in one week, I decided to branch out a little bit and actually try some new recipes. I’m usually not that much of a recipe follower, but when I’m in a rut and my creative juices are low, recipes are what help pull me through. It’s also nice to have a solid plan in place for the week, it helps take the stress out of cooking and makes it enjoyable again.

Last week I found inspiration in Pinterest with a Caprese Chicken recipe from The Novice Chef.

Capres Chicken

First of all, I loved how simple this recipe was. It took all of 20 minutes to prepare, but tasted like it took hours. We also had leftovers, which made a great filling for my pita sandwich the next day.  I look forward to making this again.

Remember the four pounds of blueberries I took home on Sunday? Well, most of them have gone straight to my belly. I’ve been eating them by the handful and they’re going fast. However, a cup full did manage to make it in to Emily’s Blueberry Corn Muffins.

20140520_185258

Another easy recipe that I was able to make after work. Actually Derek left the house to pick something up from Home Depot and by the time he returned they were done.

20140520_191803

I subbed the all purpose flour for gluten free flour so they look a tad funky, but they still tasted great.

20140520_193327

The muffins were served with Cranberry Almond Chicken, a recipe from a card I picked up at the Aprons Simple Meals station at Publix.

20140520_193322

The chicken recipe was actually just okay. I wouldn’t make it again.

20140520_193320

However, when I picked up the Cranberry Almond Chicken recipe, I also picked up a card for Smoky Bacon Pork Chops and Rainbow Slaw. Now THAT was phenomenal.

20140522_185906

I ditched the mayo in the recipe and it still came out great. Derek could not stop raving how awesome the pork chop was.  It was also another super easy meal that took no time to prep – a great addition to the weeknight lineup.

Do you have any recommendations for easy weeknight meals?

1 Faith May 22, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Oh, man, I’ve made that slaw several times now – SO GOOD! Have you thought about cook smarts? I’m thinking of signing up since I’ve been in a rut too.

2 Amy @ Run Write Hike May 23, 2014 at 12:11 am

When we were house-hunting this past winter, cooking was almost unheard of! It is amazing how much physical + emotional energy that takes out of you. We stopped for take-out practically each night we were done looking at houses. The good news is that you will find something perfect and amazing for the two of you very soon! And plenty of good recipes will follow in your own, new space! Good luck, Meghann and Derek!
Amy @ Run Write Hike recently posted..Gardening Lately

3 Runner Girl Eats May 23, 2014 at 6:28 am

Those muffins look so tasty! My favorite weeknight meal is to toss random leftovers (meat, veggies, rice, quinoa, etc) into peppers. Changes the look and taste of the leftovers and is easy peasy.
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Barre Giveaway!

4 Mackenzie May 23, 2014 at 6:53 am

I got in the same rut when we were looking at apartments during my busy season at work. Luckily I found the website budgetbytes.com – tons of recipes that are healthy and quick, I tend to change things up in the recipes but it is definitely great inspiration. Good luck with the house hunting!

5 Jojo @ RunFastEatLots May 23, 2014 at 7:53 am

That caprese chicken looks really good!
Jojo @ RunFastEatLots recently posted..Tour de Montgomery County Farm Country

6 Christina (Sisters Running the Kitchen) May 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm

that caprese chicken looks so good!!
Christina (Sisters Running the Kitchen) recently posted..Pool Running

7 Sarah May 23, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Take some bacon, wrap it on chunks of chicken and thread it onto skewers, alternating with pineapple chunks. Grill, baste with teriyaki sauce toward the end. Serve with rice. Easy and delicious!

8 Ashley May 23, 2014 at 5:05 pm

That looks amazing!
Ashley recently posted..Memorial Day.

9 Sandy May 23, 2014 at 7:40 pm

All these recipes look amazing and definitely going on the going to try list. Mostly, for my lazy weeknight days I make a quick vegetable stir fry with soy sauce. Best thing to do is cook larger portion sizes so that you have leftovers you can add in sandwiches for lunch the next day!

10 Lindsay @ lifting in lilly May 24, 2014 at 7:54 am

That chicken caprese meal looks awesome…. Definitely going to put that on the meal plan this week!!!

11 Kerry May 27, 2014 at 9:16 am

I have a few go- to recipes I use
– balsamic chicken – saute onion and a bit of oil, add balsamic oil and reduce a bit. take chicken breast and butterfly and fill with good stuff – I use goat cheese and sun dried tomatos. Poor the balsamic and onion mix over the stuffed chicken and bake. I thought it would be just ok, but it was delish!
Stuffed chicken is easy and can be switched up in so many ways – plus leftovers!
– Zucchini pasta, I use a julian hand tool and make zucchini noodles and a fresh veg pasta sauce.
– Chicken sausages with butter fried bread and fresh seasoned tomato mix on top
– loaded veggie nachos
– loaded sweet potatoes with turkey chili
– stir fry
– salad mix – I made a big batch of different salads over the weekend and some home made hummus – pasta, potato, cabbage salads with fresh veg and hummus and fresh fruit.

Happy cooking!

12 Kerry May 27, 2014 at 9:17 am

And kabobs mmmmm
have them with rice or couscous or use baby potatoes on the kabobs

13 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 28, 2014 at 12:04 pm

That caprese chicken looks awesome! Weeknight curry has become a staple for me. As long as I prep the rice on the weekend, all I have to do is heat up the rice, and cook the veggies with curry paste, a can of tomatoes, and chickpeas. Super easy and delicious, especially topped with Greek yogurt!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Sausage and Roasted Grape Pizza