Weekend Adventures

by Meghann on May 18, 2014

Holy  moly, where did this fabulous weekend weather come from?! The weather gods clearly spoiled us in Florida over the weekend.

It started Friday when I woke up to a cool breeze outside. A cool breeze! In May! In Florida! Trust me, this is usually unheard of. I was even able to go without AC in my car on the way to and from CrossFit, and on the way to work.

By the way, we did a “fun” WOD in CrossFit on Friday called Leg Cranks.

20140516_064556

This reminded me of a brick workout, because that is 100% what my legs felt like each time I took off for the 200m run. They burned! They burned!

Derek and I hung out with the XP crew on Friday, where we took advantage of the amazing weather with a little barbecue.

20140516_191948

The hosts supplied the burgers and the rest of the gang brought toppings and sides (we brought a fruit salad).

It was a beautiful evening for a gathering, even better getting to spend it laughing and joking with my favorite people.

IMG_20140516_193748

We also took turns spoiling this little guy.

20140516_193955

Baby Grant! He’s getting so big!

The night ended with birthday cupcakes. Jess and Courtney are both celebrating birthdays this week!

IMG_20140517_094541

The cool weather stuck around for Saturday, which made my 10 mile run that much better.

20140517_084255

After a not-so-great 8 mile run last week, it was like a breath of fresh air. It never fails to amaze me what an impact weather can have on a run.

20140517_090139

I received a new Brooks outfit for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Half Marathon next month and decided to test it on the run. You know how the saying goes – never wear anything new for race day! Luckily it passed the 10 mile test.

IMG_20140518_201315

Top: Women’s Infiniti SL Skort: Women’s Infiniti Skort

I want to stand out on race day so I opted for BRIGHT! Both the top and skort are made of very light material, which was very airy and comfortable for the entire run. Unfortunately I ordered mediums thinking both the top and bottom would run small, but they didn’t. They were both a little on the baggy side. So, heads up, the Brooks Infiniti line run pretty true to size.

20140517_090047

We hired a handyman to do some basic repairs around the house on Saturday. Since Maddie isn’t the biggest fan of random strangers, or loud power tools, we took a little field trip to the dog park while he and Derek worked.

20140517_163247

My little explorer enjoyed her time outdoors. We played in the water, explored the rocks, and watched the cruise ships head out to sea.

20140517_164951

1236027_10104536937293143_2882329458413681359_n

20140517_171112

Saturday night was date night. Complete with cheese, wine, and homemade pickled veggies.

20140517_200323

We also watched That Awkward Moment. I’d give it a 7 out of 10. If you’re looking for a laugh, it’s worth a trip to the nearest RedBox. Zac Efron has really been impressing me lately (he was also great in Neighbors, which we saw last Friday).

I had a chance to sleep in Sunday, before meeting my friend Carolyn and her adorable little girl for blueberry picking at a nearby u-pick farm.

20140518_110740

If you’re from the Tampa Bay area, we made the trip out to Bob’s Blueberry Farm in Hudson (please note there’s two locations – we went to the wrong one at first!). It was a little out of the way, but definitely worth the drive. There were plenty of berries to go around and they only charge $3 per pound, where other farms charge $4.

20140518_104724

We were also encouraged to eat the berries straight off the bushes, as the plants are never sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals. The owner was actually very friendly and gave us great instructions on the best place to pick berries and what to look for when picking the ripest.

I had no problem filling my bucket with over 4 pounds of blueberries!

20140518_113245

I see blueberry pie, blueberry scones, and blueberry muffins in my future!

20140518_113353

Blueberry picking definitely took it out of me. I crashed hard when I got home and enjoyed an unexpected two hour nap. It was glorious.

The rest of the day was spent grocery shopping and prepping for the week.

Oh, and homemade quesadillas for dinner.

20140518_194959

We were watching an episode of Pioneer Woman today and were inspired. I forgot how amazing quesadillas are, especially with sauteed onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms, and black beans inside. Yum!

So that sums up our weekend. How was yours? Go on any fun adventures?

1 Steph @321delish May 18, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Yay! I’m glad you went to Bob’s! I should have given you a heads up about the two locations- whoops! I think the $3/lb is totally worth the drive!
Steph @321delish recently posted..Liebster Award

2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs May 18, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Sounds like a great weekend! Today is my birthday, so we’ve been celebrating all weekend — it’s been great! 🙂

P.S. I can’t believe how long your hair is getting so quickly!

3 Jojo @ RunFastEatLots May 18, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I love blueberry picking! Unfortunately, they don’t start until later this summer. I always eat as much as I pick!
Jojo @ RunFastEatLots recently posted..Training Log 5/18 and Miscellaneous Adventures

4 Caroline May 18, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I love the brooks outfit– and want it badly! I grew up blueberry picking every summer, but haven’t done it since some time around 2004. Nothing like eating the warm blueberries straight off the plant!
Caroline recently posted..Indy Women’s Half Marathon Training Week 5 Recap

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 18, 2014 at 11:31 pm

We went to Pittsburgh for a friend’s wedding but it went by SO quickly! TOO quickly! Looks like you all had a great weekend – beautiful weather!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..A Fast Long Run and Weekly Recap

6 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine May 18, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I’ve been strawberry picking before, but never blueberry! Those look so perfect too 😀
And we were watch Pioneer Women the same time today! I saw that episode to where she make quesadillas!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted..Friday Finisher 5/16/14

7 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 19, 2014 at 12:30 am

We certainly were spoiled with good weather this weekend—even in Wisconsin! Sunny and 70 all weekend, perfect for a run and grilling out.

8 Steph May 19, 2014 at 12:56 am

Just saw the University of Alabama shirt in the pictures, so I have to give your friend a Roll Tide! I see them so often around here, I almost didn’t notice. 🙂

We had a fun weekend with a lazy Sunday. I got to spend lots of time with both of my girls, so that was really nice. Your weekend looks awesome. I seriously dream about moving to Florida all of the time. Maybe one day…

9 [email protected] May 19, 2014 at 1:09 am

Sounds like a great weekend to me! I’m hoping the farms around my area open up soon. I buy almost all my produce from the local farm from June til October!

Our weekend was busy since it was a long weekend with nothing but track practice on the agenda. We are in the middle of a few home projects but also took a walk in downtown Ottawa.

10 Christina (Sisters Running the Kitchen) May 19, 2014 at 1:32 am

aw pup looks like she had a blast! and i love your bright colors for the half!

my weekend was nice. I Went down the shore where it was pretty quiet out- calm before the storm of mdw haha. but it was nice…sunny…perfect weather. i went on some runs by the ocean and it was gorgeous!

11 Katie @ running4cupcakes May 19, 2014 at 3:31 am

The weather was perfect this weekend in MN – lots of time at the park playing in the sunshine yesterday – it was amazing. And I am super jealous of all those blueberries – so fun!!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 5/18/14

12 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 19, 2014 at 3:36 am

The pictures look like the weather was great! Our weekend consisted of a lot of DIY. We started redoing our bathroom, and I’m really excited to see how it turns out!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..I Confess

13 Ashley May 19, 2014 at 4:48 am

I LOVE the pioneer woman! She inspires so many of our comfort meals here.
Ashley recently posted..DietBet: I am giving it another try.

14 alyson May 19, 2014 at 7:16 am

OMG your quesadillas look BOMB! Looking forward to some scone recipes from ya, I’ve been wanting to make some for a while and your blueberry pie recipe was dee-lish!

15 Mrs. Swan May 19, 2014 at 3:54 pm

We went blueberry picking Sunday too. Ours was from Abshier farm in Belleview, FL though. Yummy!
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Fireballs

16 Megan @ The DelightFULL Dash May 20, 2014 at 3:15 am

The blueberry picking looked like a blast! I can’t wait to go with my niece for her first blueberry picking this summer. We have to wait until late July here in Maryland.
Megan @ The DelightFULL Dash recently posted..Ten Helpful Tips for Running Your First Half Marathon

17 [email protected] May 20, 2014 at 8:42 am

I need to go berry picking sometime. Looking forward to seeing what you make with those!
[email protected] recently posted..Back to Bikram

18 The Many Thoughts of a Reader May 26, 2014 at 10:12 pm

We’ve been making a lot of quesadillas lately around these parts. It’s quick and easy and I always have the ingredients.
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..A Life Less Ordinary