Old Married Couple

by Meghann on May 4, 2014

Happy Sunday!

How was everyone’s weekend? We had one of those great weekends that I believe officially classifies us as an “old married couple.”

Friday night we stayed in and had waffles for dinner in our jammies.

wafflesandjammies

It was a pretty epic meal. Can’t remember the last time I had waffles for dinner.

We then proceeded to watch Property Brothers (my new favorite show) on HGTV and were passed out by 10pm.

Saturday morning we slept in thanks to an epic rain storm happening outside and ran errands. First to Ikea for new cabinet hardware and then to Best Buy for a new phone. After nearly two years with the Samsung Galaxy S3, I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S5. I’m still getting used to some of the new features, but so far I’m really happy with it.

Saturday night we celebrated Cinco de Mayo with the XP crew.

cincodemayo

And I got to hang out with this little guy.

grant

Oh, Grant! You’re already breaking hearts with those lips. Is he not the cutest little guy you’ve ever seen?

Sunday morning I got an awesome 6 mile run in, then glued my butt to the couch for the next few hours watching HGTV. Ever since we started house hunting, I’ve developed a serious addiction to HGTV and the DIY Network. It’s bad because then I get these notions that it’s “so easy” to redo a kitchen or knock down a wall when we’re looking at places. Derek has to bring me back to reality. Can’t I just get the Property Brothers to come to me? Wouldn’t that make life easier?

Speaking of house hunting…we saw a record FIVE properties this afternoon. Holy moly was that exhausting.

Property #1: Bank foreclosure that needed a ton of work.

Property #2: An adorable house with a great kitchen that was about 20 minutes away from our main search area. It was a cute place, but not a place worth moving so far away for.

Property #3: Flood damage. In the kitchen.

Property #4: The “fun house.” I think this photo of the door that was sawed in half to fit an awkward space pretty much sums it up.

funnydoor

Property #5: We had such high hopes for this place! Before we saw it we couldn’t figure out why it’s been on the market for so long (174 days) without any offers. Then, as soon as we pulled up, we figured out why. It backs up to a main road.  The beautiful master suite has a view of the highway and a bail bond shop. Eh. Not good.

Sigh. So the search continues.

Tonight’s dinner: Mexican Lasagna

20140504_194312

This was a favorite of mine in college. All you need to do is layer:

• Enchilada Sauce
  • Tortilla
  • Cooked ground beef, onion, tomato
  • Cheese
  • Spinach
  • (repeat x2)

Cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

Easy peasy. And pretty delicious.

How was your weekend?

1 The Many Thoughts of a Reader May 4, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Yum, that looks delicious!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..The Idea of Him

2 Runner Girl Eats May 5, 2014 at 6:28 am

When we were looking at houses we saw one house that had every room painted in a deep primary color (red bedroom, green bathroom, blue kitchen, etc) and the bed room closets were in the hallway….not in the bedrooms. So strange.
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Here comes the sun

3 Lesley May 5, 2014 at 8:58 am

Sometimes I wonder what builders were thinking, and seeing a bail bond place from a house? Yikes! Your house is out there though.
Lesley recently posted..Random Sunday Musings 5/4

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 5, 2014 at 9:05 am

Yum those waffles look delicious! Hang in there! You will find something great. I know it!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Create Beauty With Your Attitude

5 Ashley May 5, 2014 at 9:09 am

The fun house door, I am dying. Haha that poor house!
Ashley recently posted..Mary Kay Glam Voxbox: Show me sun kissed look for spring!

6 [email protected] May 5, 2014 at 9:29 am

One foreclosure that we saw had a huge mirrored wall in the living room and we got fleas from walking into the back room of the house. Yuck! I felt itchy the rest of the day.
[email protected] recently posted..Tar Heel 10 Miler Race Recap

7 Pip {Cherries & Chisme} May 5, 2014 at 10:54 am

Friday night waffles sound pretty awesome to me! (And I’m 22…oh dear!)
Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted..{Marvelous in My Monday} Pretending to be cultured

8 Christina (Sisters Running the Kitchen) May 5, 2014 at 11:13 am

haha…I am totally with you…I always tell my boyfriend that when we buy a house together one day- I am just going to call Property Brothers…itll just make things a lot less stressful for us. hahaha

Your weekend sounded so nice! I had a pretty nice weekend myself- my sister and I ran in the Broad Street 10 miler in philly yesterday morning- such a fun race! hurting today though…

9 Kelly May 5, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Isn’t it funny how HGTV shows become so much more appealing when you are househunting? (Or a little depressing because Househunters can make it obvious how much cheaper certain markets are than where I was looking.) I can also relate to seeing that home that looks like the dream place on paper and questioning why it is languishing and then getting the evidence when you look in person. (In some cases where it is not immediately obvious it makes me think it could also be a bad inspection or sellers who are unwilling to take what the property is worth.)
Kelly recently posted..Smoked Eggplant and Goat Cheese Dip

10 Katie @ running4cupcakes May 5, 2014 at 1:47 pm

House hunting is equal parts exciting, exhausting and disappointing. hang in there. you’ll find the perfect place and all of this hunting will be worth it. 🙂 And waffles for dinner = yes!!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 5/4/14

11 Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate May 5, 2014 at 3:59 pm

We totally need a low key weekend…we have been so busy with friends and/or family visiting every single weekend and staying up way too late! I would love to head to bed on a Friday or Saturday around 10 just to catch up on some sleep!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted..Half Ironman Training Update: 8 Weeks Out

12 Shelly May 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Good luck on the house hunting. Your stories have been quite amusing!
I love low key weekends and am looking forward to having one this weekend. Old married couples for the win!
Shelly recently posted..Some Serious Planning

13 [email protected] May 5, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I had a low key Saturday and then a road trip Sunday to see Wicked. The best of both worlds this weekend!
[email protected] recently posted..Wicked Weekend and The Art of Kindness

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 6, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I remember going through the same thing when we were house hunting. I would binge watch HGTV! The good news is that it passes once the house is bought 🙂
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Currently: May

15 Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick May 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Mexican Lasagna looks soooo bomb right now!! Yummmm!

16 Grace @ Grace Dishes May 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I remember those days of being glued to HGTV when I was house hunting.

Good luck to you on your hunt 🙂 I think during the spring more houses get listed!

17 AmyD May 7, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Bahahahaha! That door! It’s amazing the solutions people come up with. Good luck in the search!