Where it all began

by Meghann on April 29, 2014

It’s a story I’ve told over and over and over again… I ran my first half marathon in December of 2008, the next month I volunteered at the Walt Disney World Marathon – and was so inspired by my experience – I immediately registered with Team in Training to run my first marathon (Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego) that May. It was a crazy whirlwind journey that I wouldn’t have done any other way.

Want to hear something crazy? That was FIVE years ago next month! Since then I’ve completed 19 half marathons, 7 full marathons, 1 ultra marathon, and I even completed my first Ironman last November. So much for that first marathon being a “bucket list” item. Let’s say it was more of a gateway drug to this little thing my husband calls my racing addiction. Yep. I’ve got it bad.

I’ve had some pretty amazing racing experiences, but nothing will ever come close to running 26.2 miles for the first time at the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon. It wasn’t just my first marathon, it was also my first time visiting San Diego, my first time flying for a race, the first time I knew Derek really liked me when he flew across the country to watch me run, the first time I ran a marathon with Bobbi (we also ran the Chicago Marathon together the following year), and the first time I set a time goal (4:30) and beat it (4:29:46 <- barely, but it still counts!).

In honor of my 5th Marathon Anniversary, I’m excited to announce that I’ll be returning to where it all began. On June 1st I’ll be lacing up my running shoes for the 2014 Suja Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Half Marathon.

1911990_10152008508917896_1709923649_n

Sadly I had to opt out of the full marathon due to a crazy work schedule, but I’m still super pumped to celebrate my marathon anniversary where it all began!

I’m also excited to announce I’ll be powered by juice for the half, thanks to my friends at Suja! I’ve partnered with the 2014 Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego title sponsor to get in tip-top shape for race day thanks to their powerhouse juices.

IMG_3701

Suja juices use Cold Pressure, also known as High Pressure Processing (HPP) to preserve nutrition and high quality freshness. A high level of pressure is applied to the bottles to destroy pathogens while preserving vitamins, enzymes and nutrients. (see more info HERE)

They’re quickly becoming my favorite afternoon snack and they also make a refreshing post-run treat. I love that the juices are not full of sugar and instead have a natural sweetness to them that leave me feeling energized and satisfied.

Check out the photo I created

Annie Lawlass, co-founder of Suja, wrote a great article on juicing for runners HERE.

“Juices are a great alternative if heavy carbohydrate foods do not work for you because they contain natural fruit sugars providing easily digestible carbohydrates. Juices remove the fiber, which helps the body access the energy and nutrition they provide quickly and easily with very little digestive labor. This helps prevent bloating, cramping, and indigestion on runs.”

Suja is a great pre/post run fuel for my friends with sensitive stomachs or have gluten allergies. Fruits and vegetables are living foods that are rich in water and packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, all which help reduce inflammation caused by exercise

I look forward to “juicing” for my remaining training! I’ve got a little more than a month to go for race day!

Do you juice?

This post was sponsored by Suja. All opinions are my own.

1 Jojo @ RunFastEatLots April 29, 2014 at 10:43 pm

What a fun way to celebrate your 5th marathon anniversary! RnR races are always a great time 😀

I sometimes juice. I have a Breville juicer that I use.
Jojo @ RunFastEatLots recently posted..Weekly Chase 4/29

2 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust April 29, 2014 at 11:15 pm

That is crazy that you flew across country for your FIRST marathon – and you are doing it again. So ambitious! Congratulations on five awesome years of racing! Maybe someday I will fly across country to Florida for one of my dream races (there are so many I want to do).

3 Sarah April 29, 2014 at 11:42 pm

it’s my two year anniversary for my first marathon! 🙂 i also did my first triathlon this past weekend! could not have done it without your swimming encouragement! 😉
Sarah recently posted..I am a triathlete.

4 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles April 30, 2014 at 6:32 am

I have been to San Diego once – it is beyond gorgeous! I often think about traveling for that race! I don’t juice but have tried Suja and love their products!
meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..WIAW- Why Are Blueberries So Expensive?

5 [email protected] April 30, 2014 at 7:15 am

aww, that’s so cool to go back to where you did your first marathon. I can’t even imagine what it’s like to have 7 marathons under your belt, just 1 seems crazy!
[email protected] recently posted..Weight Room Play Time and Back Squats are My Favorite

6 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 30, 2014 at 8:02 am

Oooh, I’m sure you’ll have a blast. Good luck!

I’m more of a smoothie girl than a juicer, but if I had access to good bottled juice like that, I might try it.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Checking In

7 [email protected] April 30, 2014 at 9:03 am

Juicing is too messy for me but I might go for a good bottled juice…a good fresh bottled juice. 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..April Wrap Up- Weight Loss- Progress Photos- and May Goals

8 Dori April 30, 2014 at 9:12 am

I can’t believe that was 5 years ago! I remember tracking you that day, long before we ever started talking and becoming friendly. And looooooong before a marathon was something I could have ever thought of doing myself. I was so happy for you! So… you have a lot of training to fit in this month I guess? Or have you been training already? Yay!
Dori recently posted..A Running Update + IRONMAN Jacket Giveaway

9 Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat April 30, 2014 at 9:44 am

What a journey you have been on in the past 5 years – congrats on heading back to where it started.

Oh how I love Suja! and all juices minus the dent they put in my wallet!
Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted..29 Questions – And hey look I’m blogging!

10 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 30, 2014 at 1:40 pm

That is so awesome! It is amazing how quickly time passes. I don’t juice. I know I should but it has always just been a lot of work LOL. I know that probably makes me lazy.
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Post Marathon Recovery

11 Lesley April 30, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Fun! I also saw Meb will be a pace setter for the half.
Lesley recently posted..Where in the World?

12 Shelly April 30, 2014 at 4:54 pm

How fun! I have my own juicer at home, but I’m not a religious juicer. I just make them for breakfast or a snack every once in a while or on weekends. I do like juice though!
Shelly recently posted..Weekly Goal Recap & Saturday Fun

13 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub April 30, 2014 at 4:55 pm

That’s so awesome you are going back to run for your anniversary! It would have been so cool if you could have ran the full to compare your time 5 years later.
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..Top 5 Reasons You Should Eat Like a Mediterranean

14 Runner Girl Eats April 30, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I can’t believe you flew to San Diego for your first half! I get so nervous traveling for a race–I’m all about routine. How exciting that you are returning for your runiversary!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..WTF?! Wednesday

15 EB @ Running on E May 1, 2014 at 11:13 am

Sounds like a perfect way to celebrate 5 years running! Congrats!

I want to try more juicing, I just don’t know where to start!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Girls on the Run 5k Recap

16 Sarah May 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm

You get to run with Meb! I just saw an article that he will be pacing the 1:30 group for the Suja Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon in San Diego. I don’t know/remember (because I am not that creepy) what your time is for a 1/2 so you might not actually be running next to him but I think it is still cool that you will be sort of close to running with the first american to win the Boston marathon in almost 20 years.
Good luck and have fun

17 sonia the mexigarian May 7, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Ah, I’ve been wanting to do Rock N Roll San Diego for a while now, but it just never fits in the schedule. 🙁 Someday. What a great way to celebrate your runniversary 🙂
sonia the mexigarian recently posted..Big Sur 9 Miler Race Recap