Color Me Rad

by Meghann on March 30, 2014

Who’s ready to get RAD?

Color Me Rad Orlando

This morning I had the opportunity to experience my first color-themed run: Color Me Rad in Orlando.

20140330_090609

Just in case you’re unfamiliar with the “rad” phenomenon, Color Me Rad is a 5K event series with a colorful twist – you’re doused with color during the run. It’s an un-timed, family-friendly event that takes the intimidation factor out of the 5K and just leaves the fun.

The pre-race instructions encouraged participants to wear white from head-to-toe, so this morning I pulled out an old white tee and white shorts for race day.

all white

Then I arrived at the race site, saw the store of Color Me Rad gear, and basically bought everything they had. What can I say? I’m an easy sale. The prices were decent (shorts – $10, shirt – $15, tutu – $12) and everything was really cute. Plus I got two extra color bombs with my purchases. Sold!

20140330_081721

#TutusRock

With my Color Me Rad registration I got a light blue Color Me Rad participant shirt, a RAD temporary tattoo, and a pair of sunglasses.

After picking up our packets (and a quick change), Ashley, Amanda, and I headed to the start line to get rad.

20140330_081704

The music was pumping, the colors were flying, and the start line turned into one big party. Everyone had a smile on their face – just the way every race start should be!

20140330_081814

The start was a very casual “go” with a climatic blast of color on our way out the start.

20140330_082153(0)

The actual run circled in and around the Central Florida Fairgrounds. If I’m being honest, it wasn’t the most exciting course I’ve ever run. The best parts were running through the color stations, but there were only a handful of those and they lasted about 30 seconds tops. Other than that, it was a lot of mud and grass.

20140330_091027

The color stations were placed about every 1/2 mile and each focused on one color. There were about 4-5 volunteers at each station and they would each take a handful of color (aka dyed cornstarch) and throw it on you as you went by. Some were a little more forceful than others (I had one guy really pound me with it).

20140330_082750

The powder was crazy to run through. I can understand why they give everyone sunglasses, that stuff can really mess with your eyes. I also had to hold my breath going through each station. It’s not harmful or anything, but it can definitely dry your throat out.

One station had a liquid blaster that resembled a water gun filled with color. The effect wasn’t has vivd as the powder stations, but it was nice not having to worry about holding my breath through the station.

20140330_091013

The finish line came up quick… probably because it was only a 2.6 mile run instead of 3.1. Whoops. I’m not sure anyone out there cared that much.

20140330_085005

We were handed color bombs on our way to the finish chute, then headed straight to the stage area where the color finish line party was happening.

20140330_085353

This was the fun part. It was like one big color dance party!

20140330_085556

Finish line

And it wouldn’t be Color Me Rad without a before and after shot!

RadBeforeafter

We stuck around and took photos before heading home.

Overall the Color Me Rad 5K was a fun excuse to get outside and enjoy the beautiful Florida morning with friends. I had so much fun with Amanda and Ashley and can’t wait to do it again!

Have you done Color Me Rad or a color themed race? What did you think?

*Color Me Rad comp’d my race entry. All opinions are my own.Β

1 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 30, 2014 at 7:44 pm

This looks like so much fun! We are FINALLY getting one of these where I am but we will be moved by the time it gets here, oh well! πŸ™‚ Glad you had fun!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..A Little Inspiration, Interesting Reads and Weekly Recap

2 Stephanie March 30, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I participated in Color Me Rad last February with friends. We really just walked around the Sun Life Miami Dolphins stadium and people-watched. It was fun and a great success for our first color run!

3 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust March 30, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I have yet to do a color run but am planning to do one this summer with a group of friends. What is the powder made of? Did you have a favorite color?
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Is There a Downside to Being Happy?

4 Sarah March 30, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I’ve done the Color Run and it was a lot of fun because it was held near a college campus. The only complaint I had was the way too high race entry fee. I’m pretty sure I spent less on a marathon. πŸ˜› Definitely had fun though! πŸ™‚ I really want to do another color run down in Florida when i move…next year! πŸ˜€
Sarah recently posted..Eat, Bike, Run, Eat, Swim, Eat

5 Jojo @ RunFastEatLots March 30, 2014 at 11:03 pm

The powder is made of cornstarch, right? I can see how breathing it in can be painful. I don’t know if I’d do a color run. Maybe someday with a large group of friends.
Jojo @ RunFastEatLots recently posted..Training log 3/30

6 Emily @ The Swallow Flies March 30, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I did the Color Run a couple of years ago (and the Glow Run as well), but honestly, I’m not sure I’ll do another themed race. There are WAY too many people. However, I LOVE the idea in that it helps thousands of people get active in a really fun, unique way.
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Weekly Menu & Workouts

7 Tina Muir March 31, 2014 at 7:56 am

Looks like fun! I have never done any color run, to be honest, I am not sure I could. I am way too competitive, and would end up trying to win haha! I did do a race last summer with some friends though, where I actually sat back and enjoyed the race. It was really fun to do, but right now I am only allowed to race a few times a year, so have to make the most o it!
Tina Muir recently posted..Meatless Monday: Cauliflower and Potato Soup

8 Susie March 31, 2014 at 8:49 am

I have yet to do a color run, and I’m not too sure I would enjoy it, to be honest. I don’t like being pelted by color bombs, lol. I love that other people are enjoying it, though!. At Columbia (university) the undergrads have a celebration weekend before finals and they have a sort of color war thing which is essentially the color run without the running. I was in grad school, so not involved, but it was hilarious to watch πŸ˜€
Susie recently posted..Bigger than Yourself #MIMM

9 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub March 31, 2014 at 9:27 am

Looks like so much fun! I have always wanted to do the Color me Rad but it’s always held on the worst weekend around here. Always a long weekend in the summer so I’m usually off camping!
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..Top 5 Ways To Boost Your Vegetable Intake

10 EB @ Running on E March 31, 2014 at 10:17 am

I’ve never done one of theses races/events, but it sounds like the perfect thing to get kids involved in exercise. I will have to check it out!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Race Recap: Georgia Publix Marathon

11 Caroline @ Fighting For Wellness March 31, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I ran color me rad last september and I really had a great time! I laughed right as I went into the first color station and got a handful of the powder in my mouth, and that felt pretty nasty the rest of the race. Lesson learned- keep your mouth shut πŸ™‚ Otherwise it was a great race!
Caroline @ Fighting For Wellness recently posted..Spring Break Staycation

12 Lisa @ runnermamablogger March 31, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I am registered for my first color run in May with my 10 year old daughter. I can’t wait. We are going with friends of ours.
Lisa @ runnermamablogger recently posted..Moscato Wine and Laughs

13 Kristi March 31, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I’ve done two color themed runs. My first was the Flavour Run last year. Not only did I participate in the run I was also a Flavor Fairy who got to throw the favored color on people. Yes I said flavored color. Sooo much fun. I also did run or die last month. I can’t wait for the Rad run tampa in May.

14 Martina @ snapshotsandwhatnots March 31, 2014 at 10:29 pm

I think these Color runs look like so much fun! Did you keep the T-shirt afterwards or did all the color brush/wash off?
Martina @ snapshotsandwhatnots recently posted..From home to home

15 Martina @ snapshotsandwhatnots March 31, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Martina @ snapshotsandwhatnots recently posted..From home to home

16 Sarah March 31, 2014 at 10:48 pm

you can wash any shirt you use and the stains will come out after a couple washes. just make sure not to mix it with anything else πŸ˜‰
Sarah recently posted..Eat, Bike, Run, Eat, Swim, Eat

17 [email protected] April 1, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I am doing The Color Run this weekend. So excited. I had a lot of fun doing one last year and we have a big group going this time!
[email protected] recently posted..That Time I Met a Rock Star- Lousiville Edition

18 Courtney April 3, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I love that tutu! It is super cute without being too poofy!
Courtney recently posted..It’s Friday!!!!