In Support of Tutus

by Meghann on March 27, 2014

Oh, Self. You missed the mark this month.

Just in case your Facebook feed hasn’t been blowing up like mine, Monica Allen of Glam Runner was asked by Self if they could use a photo of her in an upcoming issue of their magazine. When the issue came out she was shocked to see the photo was being used in a negative light, making fun of her and a friend for sporting a tutu in a race. What Self failed to realize was Monika is a cancer survivor and her tutus raise funds for Girls on the Run through her company Glam Runner. This wasn’t just any tutu she was wearing, this was one that meant something.

Luckily Monika fought back. Her story was picked up by the local news and then went viral. Self later apologized, wishing Monika luck in her future endeavors.

First of all, Glam Runner is an adorable company. Check out their website and order a tutu HERE. Not only do they stand for a great cause, but they have some great stuff.

Second of all, I have to highly disagree with Self and their statement about tutus. If this story has taught us anything it’s not that these “froufrou skirts” simply makes runners feel “faster,” it’s that they make runners feel freer and alive. Tutus are FUN. Putting one on let’s us escape the seriousness of life and be a kid again. They let us laugh at ourselves and hopefully encourage others to smile along the way. Don’t mess with a girl in a tutu, they’re pretty badass!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’m now inspired more than ever to keep rocking tutus at future races. Monika had the right idea when she rocked that tutu in New York.  Sometimes the run isn’t about setting a PR or running the best race ever, sometimes it’s about just enjoying the run, being thankful to be out there, and supporting a great cause.

Have you ever rocked a tutu in a race?

1 Stacy March 27, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I’m so embarrassed for SELF…making fun of the charitable statement of a brain cancer surviver? That’s an all time low.
Stacy recently posted..Orange Marmalade Stir-fry with Tofu

2 Allison March 27, 2014 at 10:28 pm

SELF should be ashamed! Even if the runner wasn’t a cancer survivor or supporting a cause, no one should be making fun of her attire!
I have personally rocked a tutu (bright green for a St.. Paddy’ day 8k!) and will do so again!

3 [email protected] March 27, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I was disgusted when I read this story earlier today. 🙁 SELF really did miss the mark here. I am planning to run in a tutu for the first time ever for the Mickeys Haunted Trail Run 5k this fall! Im excited for it! 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..March Wrap Up- Weight Loss- Progress Photos -April Goals

4 Jojo @ RunFastEatLots March 27, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I would love to run a race in a tutu! I would probably wear one for a Disney race 😀
Jojo @ RunFastEatLots recently posted..Duathlon Training- My First Brick

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 27, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I would LOVE to run a race in a tutu especially if it were for such a great cause at this! Good for her for fighting back and standing her ground!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Tough Love At the Greensboro Marathon {Guest Post}

6 Morgan from Eat.Love.Spandex March 27, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Wow – what a horrible article from Self. Isn’t this just another example of bullying through media?! Self should be empowering women to have the confidence to express themselves without guilt or shame.
Morgan from Eat.Love.Spandex recently posted..Lunchbox ideas: 5minute sweet potato & black bean bowl

7 runnermamablogger March 27, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Great post. I couldn’t believe the idiots at Self. Terrible and yes I would absolutely run in a tutu

8 Courtney March 28, 2014 at 1:03 am

I was shocked that a “health” magazine would criticize someone for not only being active, but for what they were WEARING while being active. Maybe next month they will touch on the gross women who don’t wear mascara to the gym.

Then again, I don’t know what I get so bent out of shape about it in the first place. The main page touts their top articles as “8 foods for a flat belly” and “Should you have rebound sex?”. Self is clearly meant for the Mean Girls perspective and not those actually interested in healthy living like me… In next month’s issue: “Is butter a carb?”
Courtney recently posted..It’s Friday!!!!

9 Amanda March 28, 2014 at 4:39 am

That is tasteless! How could they do that?! Good luck selling anymore magazines.

10 Glenneth March 28, 2014 at 6:16 am

i have worn tutus in 5Ks and will continue to do so. i will also be buying a new one from glamrunner. i don’t think their apology is near enough. their “inadvertent insensitivity”? no. multiple people review a magazine before it gets published and none of them stopped and said – wait do we really want to say this. they knew exactly what they were doing and they were wrong.

11 Karla @ Run, Karla, Run! March 28, 2014 at 6:30 am

I’ve never worn a tutu at a race, but I’m a major sparkle skirt and costume runner. Sparkle harem pants? Yep, I’ve run in them. For once and for all, I wish people would stop judging women based on what they wear. Totally agree that no one who runs in a tutu thinks it makes them run faster. It’s all about having fun. You know what’s NOT fun? Being mean.

12 Runner Girl Eats March 28, 2014 at 6:52 am

I have never run in a tutu but love seeign them on the course. Anything that shows people are having fun and enjoying themselves is fantastic to me. Self really screwed this up and I’m happy everyone is rallying around Monika.
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..The perfect workout

13 Emily @ The Swallow Flies March 28, 2014 at 7:44 am

I am so disappointed in this article. First, why mock a woman AT ALL? Second, why mock a BAD-ASS woman who’s running a marathon? Third, why mock a woman rocking a race bib that says, “Die, Tumor, Die”? I’m just so, so disappointed.

I have not yet rocked a tutu at a race, but I kind of want to wear one from here on out! I have a sneaky suspicion that we’ll be seeing A LOT more tutus in future races — which is totally awesome.
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Five on Friday

14 EB @ Running on E March 28, 2014 at 8:07 am

I was so irritated to hear about the article. I hope all the free press allows Monika to expand and make even more of an impact with her tutus!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Race Recap: Georgia Publix Marathon

15 Silvia @ skinny jeans food March 28, 2014 at 8:10 am

I guess SELF magazine is for the serious, SELF-important woman of today who would never wear a tutu or have ridiculous fun 😉
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Merry Berry Crumble (vegan)

16 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 28, 2014 at 8:27 am

UGH what an epic fail! I mean they apologized when they found out she is a cancer survivor and everything, but would they have apologized if she was just another woman? The whole thing was just rude!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..My Bridal Shower, Some Motivation, & an Amazing Lip Sync by my Alma Mater

17 Lesley March 28, 2014 at 8:31 am

All of it could’ve been avoided with just a teensy amount of research. Where were the editors? Luckily I’ve never given SELF any of my money, nor will I after this.
Lesley recently posted..Thursday Night Shows

18 bree March 28, 2014 at 8:32 am

Self truly missed the mark on that one, live and let live and to each their own. However- I will say, I am not into rocking any sort of tutu- or taking selfies during, after a race. Its such a personal thing to me, and I feel like nothing is sacred anymore in this public knowledge era- sometimes, its nice to have a huge goal, work your a** off for it, and keep the glory and self satisfaction for yourself! Or else..maybe I am living in the 1800’s, who knows? lol. In any case, have not rocked a tutu, but believe others should certainly have the right to do so!

19 Rachel March 28, 2014 at 9:10 am

I feel like even is Monika wasn’t a cancer survivor or her company raises money for charities, why in the world is a magazine that is about bettering ones self and that runs articles regarding self confidence is putting down other women!?

20 Mary Helen March 28, 2014 at 9:15 am

Yes, it shouldn’t matter if she has cancer or not (though that just makes the whole situation even worse!). The fact that a women’s magazine is being snarky about how a woman dresses while pursuing fitness is just in bad taste. It just sounds like middle school mean girl BS. Self needs to check its mission-to empower women or to bring them down?

21 Nikki March 28, 2014 at 9:35 am

My first thought was cancer or no cancer, tutu or no tutu, Self Magazine is about empowering women, not putting them down for any type of physical activity that makes them feel good. How many Self editors can run marathons?

22 Rebecca Jo March 28, 2014 at 10:40 am

I have a feeling tutu’s are going to explode EVERYWHERE now 🙂 YEAHHH! 🙂
Rebecca Jo recently posted..Confession Time

23 Kelly March 28, 2014 at 10:49 am

This is our society, though. It’s perfectly okay to make fun of people, and I know it’s a sensitive topic/buzz word, but we live in a bully society. A publication like SELF should not be making fun of anyone, regardless of whether it’s a girl with a cause or just someone who wanted to do something a little different that day. And to have the balls to ask her for a picture in order to do so? Seems to me SELF’s editorial team needs to be fired.

24 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust March 28, 2014 at 11:08 am

Magazines have been doing this for years – I’m just glad one of them finally got called out in a HUGE way! Maybe this will be an eye opening experience and the editors will think twice before criticizing or putting people down. Not to mention, using photographs in a misleading or disrespectful way.
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Is There a Downside to Being Happy?

25 Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel March 28, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I was totally appalled when I saw this yesterday! Aside from the obvious deception with asking for the photo…. SELF obviously doesn’t understand runners AT ALL!!! Which is sad, since they consider themselves partly a fitness magazine. Tutus (and other costumes, bright clothes, and dumb outfits) make running FUN and I don’t know why you would want to put anyone down for making exercise fun. A little too SELF-absorbed to care about that, I guess. Just sad.
Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel recently posted..Triple Coconut Blueberry Muffins

26 Dianne March 28, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I am so disgusted with anyone who criticizes what someone wore during any race. She could have worn a lampshade on her head. WHO CARES!!! Really this is the best SELF could come up with for an article? Is this really important? So to the writer at SELF, how many marathons have you run? And while on chemo. I don’t think the apology was enough. They can do a lot better than that.

27 Claudia March 28, 2014 at 12:31 pm

As a long time SELF subscriber I have noticed the tone of the magazine change in the last year or two – and not for the better. That whole +BS Meter thing is a snarkfest and now has crossed way over the line.

I think tutus are kind of silly in a fun make ya smile kind of way. Life is too serious most of the time, so why not have fun when you can? Isn’t fitness supposed to be fun? I wouldn’t wear one, ruffles and bows were never really my thing, but I do enjoy seeing other people rocking them at races and the smiles they bring. :o)

28 Angie March 28, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I never had a desire to run in a tutu until I read this article. I went to Glam Runner, and I plan on buying one to make a costume for my next 5K. I may not run in one again, but I will do it once to show Self that they are wrong.
Angie recently posted..Precious sleep

29 Ashley March 28, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Shame on SELF — honestly. I know we all make mistakes but these were some serious journalistic missteps here.

30 Cheri @ Overactive Blogger March 28, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Never in a race, but I have at summer camp – another counselor made them for us, and we all wore them for a skit we did. It was REALLY cute!
Cheri @ Overactive Blogger recently posted..Things you do when you’re broke.

31 Heather H March 28, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I just started running and have my first 5k tomorrow. I plan to wear to a tutu to it. When I put mine on now just for practice, I feel like I can do anything. It gives me the confidence to go out there and run as fast as I can. I think as runners we should be whatever makes us feel confident, fun, happy, etc. If people don’t like or agree with what we wear then they need to get over and not judge!!

32 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub March 28, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Even if the tutus weren’t for a good cause, putting a woman down for something as trivial as wearing a tutu is always a no-go! Especially for a high profile magazine that caters to women!
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..Top 5 Ways To Boost Your Vegetable Intake

33 Kelsey E. Hunter March 28, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Personally, I think that the best part of the race is people watching and looking at all the awesome costumes and attire people choose to wear. I once ran a half marathon where a group of people dressed up as Mario characters from the video game. It was awesome and I congratulated the guy who wore the Princess Peach dress AND WIG the entire 13.1 miles. My nerves always get the best of my on race day, but I think for my first full marathon I’ll sport a bright pink tutu. It’s supposed to be fun – why does someone always have to spoil it…

Kelsey Hunter
Tulane University, New Orleans

34 Kelsey March 28, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Kelsey E Hunter
Tulane University, New Orleans

35 Kate March 30, 2014 at 9:53 am

I played Ultimate Frisbee all of college before taking up running, and there wasn’t a season that went by that our team didn’t dress up in something fun…very often in tutus. Why not wear something “fun” while doing something you love? Loved your post – thanks for sharing!

36 LauraMae March 30, 2014 at 11:39 am

This just proves how magazines don’t fully study out their statements. They are just biased options of the writers. This is why I don’t waste my money on those dumb magazines. This was a great post on your blog! I’m so glad she fought back and that you posted about it!

37 Annette @FitnessPerks March 31, 2014 at 4:01 pm

And this is why I don’t read those type of magazines anymore!

TUTUS rule!