Sick Baby

by Meghann on March 25, 2014

I’m sick.

My head hurts, my nose is congested, my throat aches, and all I want to do is lay in my bed and sleep.

Being sick sucks and I’m a big ole baby about it.

Do you want to know the strange part? I honestly can’t remember the last time I was sick. I did a quick search of the blog and discovered the last time I complained about having a sore throat was back in October 2012. Whoa.

I think I can chalk that up to Ironman training. While building my endurance in 2013, I was also building an iron-clad immune system. Somehow I made it to race day without catching a single cold. Maybe a crazy training regimen, obscene amounts of Gatorade, and falling asleep on the couch every night really is the cure to the common cold?

Lose the Ironman training schedule and Gatorade (I’m still falling asleep on the couch every night) and I’m back to sneezing, coughing, and complaining like a big ole baby. Wahhhhh….make it stop! Though, on the flip side, it does seem like I’m due for a runny nose. I just hope it doesn’t stick around for long!

Do you have a stronger immune system when you’re training for a big event?

1 Kaitlyn March 25, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Oh nooo! I hope you feel better soon!
I’ve been wondering…and you may have mentioned this earlier and I missed it…do you have any big race plans this year? Any more full marathons in the future?!

2 Nikki March 25, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Oh no! Feel better soon!!!

3 Sarah March 25, 2014 at 9:59 pm

i don’t want to jinx anything but i think working at Disney has made my immune system way stronger. everyone around me is getting sick but i still haven’t caught anything..thank goodness..let’s keep it that way! ;)

4 Courtney March 25, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Ugh! I’m sick too. I’ve lucked out and never been sick for a big race, but I sure give a LOT of stink-eye to anyone within a 100 ft radius of me who dares to sniffle during race week.

5 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 25, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I haven’t gotten sick much lately, I attribute it to all the fruit & veggies in my diet! I hope you feel better soon!!!

6 Joy March 25, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Ohhhh feel better

7 Jojo @ RunFastEatLots March 25, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I think training does help keep sickness at bay. I haven’t been REALLY sick in years, but I caught minor colds when I was in school. I think the stress weakened my immune system.

8 Emily @ The Swallow Flies March 25, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! I feel like I always get sick RIGHT after something important, or RIGHT when a break starts. It’s almost like my body “knows” it has time to get sick as soon as I finish my graduate work or as soon as we’re out of school for the summer.

9 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 25, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I have the same thing going on right now. I am SLOWLY getting over it and am hoping to feel better by tomorrow – FINGERS CROSSED! Hope you feel better soon!

10 Lisa @ Life as Lisa Knows It March 26, 2014 at 5:44 am

Feel better soon!!!

11 Amanda March 26, 2014 at 6:20 am

I’m sick too! First cold in years. I have asthma and allergies so I’m annoyed that my streak has been broken. I can’t taste and my teeth hurt from sinus pressure. I’ve been living on sudafed and Motrin as the Tylenol cold didn’t touch my misery. I’m so whiny when I’m sick. The best part? I’m training for my first half marathon.

12 Runner Girl Eats March 26, 2014 at 6:38 am

I def have a stronger immune system when training but a sore throat/runny nose is also my first sign of overtraining…it’s a fine line!

13 jamie March 26, 2014 at 7:17 am

I thought I was just lucky as everyone around me has been sick throughout the winter. Now I think it might be my HIM training…2 weeks away!

Hope you feel better soon!

14 Mary March 26, 2014 at 9:31 am

Yes!!! Like during marathon training- I fight off every bug known to man and then as SOON as the race is over… BAM – I’m struck with a sore throat, runny nose, stomach bug or whatever from all of those runs in the rain, cold, etc. Crazy how that is, eh?

15 Rebecca March 26, 2014 at 10:40 am

Feel better!

Yes, I have noticed that my immune system is stronger when I’m training or working out regularly. (Funny, because I would think that constantly being tired would weaken it?) Even if I do get the sniffles, I can fight it off pretty quick.

Just last week, I started to feel run down and majorly congested. I took a sick day, slept and drank lots of fluids all day. Woke up the next morning feeling tons better! I think the key is recognizing when your body is trying to fight something and letting yourself rest instead of trying to push through.

16 Chatelaine March 26, 2014 at 11:36 am

Get well soon!
I have noticed that in previous years I might have had a sinus cold but a few Sudafed and I was good to go. All symptoms gone ins 3-5 days. But now…… oh have things changed! I got the flu last year and 2 colds between November and January… I WISH I knew what I was doing back then and I’d do it again. But I feel like I train and exercise the same as always. Sucks!

17 Ashley March 26, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I hope you feel better soon — this crap that is going around is NO good!

18 Rebecca Jo March 26, 2014 at 1:40 pm

My immune system is usually the same during training. it wears you down to train hard, so who knows…
Hope you feel better :( Get rest

19 Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} March 26, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I agree but then sometimes it is just unavoidable! I hope you feel better, I was so sick last week! Boo!

20 Meghan R March 26, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I’ve got the crud too! Had it since Sunday night and I’m about over it. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

21 Erin March 26, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Have you tried essential oils? I used to be a huge skeptic, but now I swear by them! I like knowing exactly what I’m putting in my body, and I like that there are no side effects. Let me know if you want samples!!

22 Emily March 26, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Boo being sick! I was sick over a month ago, and I’m still recovering. Get well soon!

I find when I train for endurance stuff my immune system gets weaker. I can feel stuff coming right away and start slugging Airborne like crazy and hitting bed at 8pm to push it off!

23 Kelli March 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I definitely feel like exercise helps to build a strong immune system. Sorry you’re feeling sick!

24 Kara March 26, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon. Immediately after my first half Ironman I got so sick…I figured my immune system was down because I was just so exhausted from training. Although, I was CONVINCED I would get sick after my Ironman…but I didn’t! Very strange!

25 Kelly @ Kelly the Culinarian March 26, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I was out sick yesterday, too! I have a marathon Saturday and took it easy in hopes of coming back strong.

26 Sara@RunningInPinkProject March 27, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I always seem to get sick when things in my life calm down for whatever reason. I always got sick during school breaks and often during the holidays. Maybe working out extra hard during those times will help me avoid those pesky colds! Feel Better!