Quinoa Quiche

by Meghann on March 21, 2014

Happy Friday!

Now, who’s hungry?

quinoaquiche

I am! I am! I am!

Recently Kyle Pfaffenbach, a Performance Nutrition Consultant for the Brooks Beasts Track Club, created a list of 10 master ingredients he recommends for a race training regimen.

They are:

1.  Sweet Potatoes
2.  Whole Wheat Pasta
3.  Quinoa

Why Eat Those?: The foods above are high in complex carbohydrates. They serve runners by filling muscle glycogen stores, which is a major energy source during high intensity workouts and races. A higher percentage of complex carbs are recommended in the days leading up to a competition, and this ‘carbo loading’ can maximize glycogen stores and contribute to improved performance.

4.  Salmon (also a source of polyunsaturated fats)
5.  Eggs
6.  Mixed Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios)

Why Eat Those?: The foods above provide quality proteins. Salmon and eggs represent complete high quality proteins, meaning they contain all 9 essential amino acids in ample amounts. Mixed nuts, particularly pistachios, can also be a good source of protein. Consuming enough protein is critical for recovery and providing muscles with ‘what the need’ to recover from and adapt to training stress.

7.  Radishes
8.  Tomatoes
9.  Apples
10. Mixed Greens (spinach, spring mix, arugula)

Why Eat Those?: Every balanced diet requires a lot of fruits and vegetables, which is why Kyle has included the above. While there is nothing ‘performance enhancing’ per se about these foods (have you ever seen tomatoes offered at a race aid station!), they should be a critical part to every runner’s diet. They provide the vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients to keep the immune system strong, and metabolic processes optimized.

To coincide with training for Seattle Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon, Brooks challenged me to develop a recipe using only ingredients from the list. Here’s what I came up with:

Quiche Collage

Quinoa Quiche

• 1 c cooked quinoa
  • 8 eggs
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 c kale
  • salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

Beat 8 eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Chop kale and tomato into bit size pieces. Place in a small microwave safe bowl, add a tablespoon of water, place in microwave on high for 1 minute.

Grease a cake pan. Line bottom with cup of cooked quinoa. Add veggies. Pour eggs on top.

Bake for 35 minutes at 375.

IMG_3685

It’s a fairly simple recipe for an easy post-workout weeknight meal. Enjoy!

What would you make with the ingredients listed?

1 Jojo @ RunFastEatLots March 21, 2014 at 8:03 am

I would make a stuffed baked sweet potato! Hallow it out and mix the sweet potato with the veggies, stuff it back in, and crack an egg on top. Bake until set 🙂
Jojo @ RunFastEatLots recently posted..A Fresh Start on the First Day of Spring

2 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 21, 2014 at 8:35 am

I have a big bag of quinoa that I need some new Ideas – this looks PERFECT to try out next week!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..5 Memorable Moments in My Life (Thus Far)

3 Bridgette March 21, 2014 at 9:11 am

Yum this looks delicious! My go-to Quinoa dish is a quinoa-like salsa that has tomatos, corn, beans, etc. and a yummy cumin-lime dressing

4 Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate March 21, 2014 at 9:46 am

Never thought about adding quinoa to a quiche- awesome idea! I am all about sweet potatoes when training!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted..Fitness Friday and Shoe Advice

5 Emily @ The Swallow Flies March 21, 2014 at 9:54 am

I would make a batch of Sweet Potato Hash (with tomatoes, kale, and spinach mixed in), topped with a couple over-easy eggs. And, now that I think about it, I may actually make that for breakfast today. 🙂
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Five on Friday

6 Brie March 21, 2014 at 10:38 am

Yum! I love quiche! I can’t wait to try out this recipe!
Brie recently posted..{Friday Favorites} 3/21

7 Rebecca Jo March 21, 2014 at 10:39 am

I’m ‘pinning’ this!!!
Rebecca Jo recently posted..Confession Friday…

8 Megan @ Meganmumbles March 21, 2014 at 11:41 am

I would never think to make a quiche quinoa but I love the idea!!

9 Lee March 21, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I am definitely going to give this a try. It looks that a great dish to have leftovers to pack for lunch the following day.
Lee recently posted..Training Week #5

10 Ashley March 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Ummm yum! And quinoa as a “crust” Brilliant!

11 Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork March 21, 2014 at 1:17 pm

This sounds delicious! What a great combo. Can’t wait to try this. Thanks for the run-down on the whys for each ingredient in regards to training.
Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork recently posted..Friday Favorite: Greatist Parcel Favorites

12 Sarah March 21, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Salad with diced sweet potato, quinoa, salmon, hard boiled egg and some nuts. can i cheat and add olive oil for a little seasoning? 😉
Sarah recently posted..A brief hiatus and a lot of updates! 🙂

13 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal March 21, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Oh yes. I dig this. I love the quinoa crust – brilliant!
Kammie @ Sensual Appeal recently posted..5 Commandments to Thriving as a “Caretaker”

14 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub March 21, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Great recipe! I wouldn’t have thought of quinoa for quiche.
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..FYI Friday – Sugar, Sugar

15 Tina Muir March 22, 2014 at 7:52 am

What a great list! Very helpful to put them in one place and why they help. I consume a lot of those as my diet is very finely tuned as an elite athlete. I thankfully include almost all of those in my diet, but now I have another recipe to consume a ton in one go 🙂 Thanks Meghann!
Tina Muir recently posted..Training Update 3/9-3/20

16 Traci March 22, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Love the idea of using quinoa as a base for quiche, thanks!
Traci recently posted..Happy Saturday

17 Jill March 24, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Just made this. Super yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

18 Lex @ Flecks of Lex March 31, 2014 at 4:14 pm

This sounds delicious! I’ve only recently started eating quinoa, and I absolutely love it.
Lex @ Flecks of Lex recently posted..Friday Five: Favorite Fitness Activities