A Date With Veronica Mars

by Meghann on March 16, 2014

Happy Sunday!

How’s everyone’s weekend going? We’ve lucked out with some amazing weather this weekend and I’m itching to get outside – I’m hoping to catch some rays by the pool this afternoon.

The Veronica Mars Movie finally made its long awaited debut on Friday.

VeronicaMars

I’d spent the last two months re-watching the series on DVD, so I was extra pumped to see what Veronica Mars and the gang had been up to. If anything re-watching the series reminded me how much I hated the way the show ended and why a movie was so desperately needed.

Derek had never watched the series in college, but I was hopeful he would watch the DVDs with me and fall in love with Veronica Mars just as I had 10 years ago. Nope. Wrong audience. He spent too many episodes making fun of the teenage detective plot line and out-there mystery scenarios. Totally fine, he watches plenty of things I will never understand, nor care for. Needless to say, I was on my own for the movie Friday night.

I was perfectly okay going to the movie theater on my own (it wouldn’t be the first, or last time, I would see a movie by myself), but a friend from high school messaged me and said she was seeing the 7:15 showing at the theater right by my office. Sweet! Someone to watch/obsess over the movie with. Yay, friends!

Since my office (and the theater) are so far from our my house, I headed right to the mall after work, bought my movie ticket, and headed to Grimaldi’s Pizzeria for dinner.
image

Grimaldi’s Pizzeria is a coal brick-oven pizzeria located in the mall. It’s a place I’d drive by hundreds of time, but never dined at. I had a couple of hours to kill and trying somewhere new for pizza seemed the best way to do it.

I sat at the bar by myself, ordered a club soda, and caught up on the day’s happening thanks to my smart phone. If I had thought ahead, I would have brought a book or magazine to read. It was nice and quiet at the bar.

diningsolo

For dinner I ordered a personal pizza with olives.

image

The pizza was light, but surprisingly filling. The sauce need a little spice, but otherwise it was delicious. It looks like they have some great lunch specials, a good thing to note for future lunch outings with co-workers.

The theater for Veronica Mars was PACKED. Good to know we weren’t the only Veronica Mars fans in Tampa, especially since the movie was released digitally the same day.

So what did we think? Personally, I thought it was great. This was a movie that was made 100% for the fans, so if you were never a fan of the series (or have never seen an episode of Veronica Mars in your life) I’m not sure you’d enjoy it. BUT if you loved the series, chances are you’ll love the movie. All the characters ended up exactly where I thought they should be and the movie ended just as I hoped it would. Even as predictable as that ending may have been, I loved it.

I’m actually glad they waited so long to do a movie. It’s something the creators have been discussing since the show was cancelled 7 years ago. I’ve read some of Rob Thomas’ various movie plot ideas and none of them felt right to me. I wasn’t even a fan of the potential season 4 teaser that was a special feature in the third season’s dvd set, where the next season would focus on Veronica’s new life as an FBI agent. I can see why it wasn’t picked up – the idea stunk.

I’m a sucker for high school reunions (even if mine wasn’t as cool as Veronica’s) and it was fun to see the whole gang together again with that excuse. It was a the perfect angle for the movie and the perfect timing for the release.

Are you a Veronica Mars fan? What did you think of the movie?

1 Emily @ The Swallow Flies March 16, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I loved, loved, loved the series, and I cannot wait to see it in the theater! Unfortunately, we don’t have any AMC theaters in Des Moines, so I’m going to have to plan a road trip. Glad you loved it!
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..This Week’s Menu

2 [email protected] is Sweet March 16, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I watched the series last summer and loved it! I can’t wait to see the movie!
[email protected] is Sweet recently posted..14.3

3 Laura March 16, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Never seen Veronica Mars, I have to admit, but if they would make a Gilmore Girls movie, I would be all over it.

4 Laura March 16, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Yes please!
Laura recently posted..Holy Wind

5 The Many Thoughts of a Reader March 16, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I need to watch the series. Maybe it will be a summer project. I agree with Laura, that I’d be alllll over a Gilmore girls movie!

6 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 16, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I hadn’t seen the show in so long – we watched the movie Friday too and I guess It had been so long I’d forgotten so much of what happened. Still enjoyed it though!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..My Husband’s Running Shoes Addiction and Weekly Recap!

7 SJ March 16, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Hi Meghann, completely off-topic, but I was going through your old posts & noticed you wore your Pureconnects for your IM marathon. I feel like I’ve read you mention before that you preferred them for shorter distances, are you liking them for long distances now, too? They’re my favorite shoes ever & I put them through a half marathon yesterday so I’m debating whether they’d make a good marathon shoe or not. Thanks!

8 Laura March 16, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I hadn’t heard of the series before but now I think I’m going to watch them on Netflix.
Laura recently posted..Holy Wind

9 Jojo @ RunFastEatLots March 16, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I haven’t heard of the series and didn’t know it was a movie! Maybe I’ll go check it out. Haha like I need more tv shows to watch xD
Jojo @ RunFastEatLots recently posted..Saturday Shenanigans

10 Christine @ BookishlyB March 16, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I saw the movie and loved it- you’re totally right about it being made for (and by, considering Kickstarter) fans. I loved the Words with Friends/texting joke with Dick, the James Franco cameo, and how well Logan is aging, if youknowwhatimean.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

11 [email protected] March 16, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Never watched Veronica Mars but I wish more old shows had a movie follow up. Thats a fun idea.
[email protected] recently posted..VA Beach Shamrock Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, and 8K Expo

12 Michelle March 16, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I thought the movie was great! It was darker and funnier than I expected — and it left the door wiiiiiide open for another movie, don’t you think? I DO wish they could have gotten Leighton Meester to reprise her character (the girl they picked looked NOTHING like her!), but it’s a small bone to pick. I especially loved the Deputy Leo scene. And Dick. Gotta love Dick.
Michelle recently posted..Save Some For The Fish, Dude

13 Allie March 17, 2014 at 12:14 am

So glad to hear you loved the movie!! I am on vacation right now and am can’t wait to see it when I get to a big city!! 🙂 I loved Veronica Mars so much (and still do!).

14 Amanda Elizabeth March 17, 2014 at 8:05 am

I totally agree with the girls….Gilmore Girls movie I would be all over that!!!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Weekend Roundup-Partying It Up Engagement Style

15 Taryn March 17, 2014 at 8:36 am

I’m 95% sure I’m heading to the move theater to see Veronica Mars by myself tonight. So excited for this movie! And Grimaldi’s! I looove their pizza!
Taryn recently posted..Marvelous & Green

16 Jamie March 17, 2014 at 9:10 am

LOVE Veronica Mars… I have big plans to watch the movie on demand tonight – I’m sure I’ll love it! 🙂

17 Nikki March 17, 2014 at 9:47 am

I was supposed to go on Saturday with my husband but then he had rowing. Then we were supposed to go Sunday but he got a migraine. So this Saturday it is!!

18 Courtney March 17, 2014 at 11:32 am

I was really hoping the series would pop up on Netflix streaming with the release of the movie, but I still don’t see it on there 🙁 Your recommendation for Felicity destroyed my life for like 2 months :-P, so I’m hopefully I’ll fall in love with Veronica Mars too!

As for a reunion show, I would die for a Full House reunion (but only if they have the Olsen twins involved). Or Greek on abcfamily. I adored that show! I would say a Felicity reunion, but only if they finally decide to scrap that bizarre ending and get Noel and Felicity together 🙂
Courtney recently posted..It’s Friday!!!!

19 Krystle March 26, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I LOVE Felicity, thanks for reminding me about it! i see a major couch and Felicity marathon in my very near future!

20 Beth March 17, 2014 at 11:35 am

So bummed I didn’t go. I was about to fall asleep at my desks so I knew I needed to get home. I heard another good review so now I’m really pumped to see it! Hope you had a great weekend. 🙂
Beth recently posted..How my workouts went last week. 3/10-3/16

21 Jessica March 17, 2014 at 11:52 am

I never got into that show, but I’m glad you liked the movie! I’m getting reallllly excited for this book I’m reading, Outlander, to become a show. It’s currently filming and will hopefully be airing on Starz this summer. The books are so great and from what I’ve seen of the production through social media, I think the show will be too!
Jessica recently posted..Two Weeks in a Carry-on

22 Meghan R March 17, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I loved the movie! I ended up watching it at home via Amazon (so cool they released it for download the same day).

23 Dana March 17, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Not a Veronica Mars fan. So I don’t think the movie would make much sense for me. Kristen Bell is pretty great though!
Dana recently posted..Spring Cleaning

24 [email protected] March 17, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Loved Veronica Mars when it was on TV, probably won’t see the movie until it’s ON Demand.

Pizza with just olives sounds amazing right now…but I’m totally craving a pizza with feta and banana peppers.
[email protected] recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday

25 Amanda March 17, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I’m a huge fan of Veronica Mars. Sadly they aren’t showing the movie in theaters here (totally lame!). I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy of it though. I’ve missed the Neptune gang.
Amanda recently posted..Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

26 Megan March 17, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I loved it. Saw it with a friend who had just started watching and she was 2.5 episodes in, so she knew some of the characters, though not all. Hadn’t yet met Mac or Piz, of course. But she enjoyed it and is currently powering through the rest of the series.

I didn’t quite make it through my rewatch, so I’m about midway through season 3, then I’ll watch the movie again. It was totally a love letter to the fans, but so much was left unsolved. I can’t wait to see what Rob Thomas does next.

And yes, I already have the book preordered!
Megan recently posted..More Snow?!

27 Jana March 18, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I love Veronica Mars! My college roommates and I spent many nights dedicated to Veronica Mars marathons instead of homework. We’re all getting together this weekend to see the movie 🙂
Jana recently posted..My Favorite Blogs: Running Edition