Socks and Purses

by Meghann on February 21, 2014

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

1782033_10104209275819363_289010392_n

That’s Maddie’s I’m-so-happy-it’s-Friday face.  That’s also her I-just-ran-3.5-miles-and-I-have-energy-to-spare face. I signed both of us for a dog-friendly 5k at the end of next month. I’m not sure if there are any official prizes for being the first dog across the finish line, but if there are, Maddie has this one in the bag. My little runner girl is ready to show those other dogs who’s boss.

Speaking of our run, Brooks sent me some awesomely pink Compression Knee High socks to test out this month.

20140221_073416

Aren’t they amazing?

The truth is, despite my 6+ years of running, I’ve never worn compression socks on a run before. I’ve worn them while recovering from long runs during Ironman training, but never while actually logging my miles. I have friends that swear by them for preventing cramps and aiding in a faster recovery, but I’ve never given them a shot before. So when these babies arrived looking so pretty I decided to test them on my short weekly run with Maddie.

20140221_073423

Please note that it was in the low 70s and at about 89% humidity when we took off for our run this morning. In other words, it was really hot and humid and I was sweating almost immediately. It wasn’t long before all I could think about was how warm and itchy the compression socks were becoming on my calves. Hmmm… maybe this wasn’t the best day to test these socks.

So, yeah, in the end I’m glad I decided to test the compression socks on my short run and not during my half marathon on Sunday (which should have similar weather conditions). I’m sure the compression socks offer loads of benefits when worn on a run, but this Florida runner couldn’t get over how sweaty and itchy my legs were. I couldn’t get the socks off fast enough at the end of the three miles! From now on I think I’ll stick to wearing compression socks for recovery AFTER long runs and while traveling. I think they’ll server their purpose (and my sanity) a little better that way. 🙂

The good news is Brooks still offers cute sock options that are a little more practical for my running.

The Essentials Low Cut Tab Liner

20140215_113031

Love the gray and pink, but also the dry-stitch polyester that wicks moisture from my feet when running. The mesh top also reduces bulk and allows better air circulation, keeping feet cool and comfortable.

The Infiniti Double Tab Mesh

20140216_081542

LOVE these. So soft and comfortable. I’m also a fan of the double tab at the top, which should prevent the sock from sliding when I wear them for the half on Sunday (I had the problem with the falling sock during Best Damn Race a couple of weeks ago and do NOT want to go through that again).

What’s in my purse?

Caitlin challenged me a while ago to do a “What’s in my purse?” post. At first I wasn’t sure how interesting it would be since my purse is pretty simplistic – my wallet, cell, keys, and a collection of receipts from the previous weekend that probably need to be trashed.

BUT then it occurred to me that that purse isn’t my normal purse. I have second purse that I use exclusively for going to and from work that has developed quite a stockpile of junk in it. It didn’t hit me how bad it was until I was digging through the purse after getting my hair cut and started pulling out so many random items that the clerk who was checking me out started laughing. I started laughing too, it was pretty amusing.

IMG_3266

So what’s in my giant “work” purse….

IMG_3269

A little bit of everything apparently.

IMG_3274

Let’s see, we have:

• Rack cards for work
  • A birthday card
  • Sock change purse
  • Wallet
  • Old receipts
  • Moisturizer
  • Tic tacs
  • A recipe card
  • Pens
  • Age group prize from work
  • Tampons
  • Bag clip
  • Reusable bag
  • Yelp sunglasses
  • Mints
  • Phone
  • Gum
  • Gatorade
  • Checkbook
  • Ibuprofen
  • Keycard
  • iPad charger

(this was after I cleaned out some wrappers and other trash)

So that’s what’s in my purse. What’s in yours?

1 Amanda @runtothefinish February 21, 2014 at 11:38 am

gahhh what’s with it already being humid here?!!!

Ok gels in your purse that’s hilarious

2 Amanda Elizabeth February 21, 2014 at 11:39 am

Compression tights are definitely way too hot for FL I agree! I try to clean my bag out once a week because like you mine is quite large and I can accumulate a lot of stuff!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Friday Favorites- The Countdown is On

3 Lindsay February 21, 2014 at 11:42 am

I know this is going to sound weird and TMI, but after seeing that your purse contains tampons I feel that I just HAVE to tell you to try The Diva Cup. Although it sounds weird when you look it up, it is the best thing, so much cleaner, comfortable etc. honestly, it’s like you don’t even know you have your cycle.

4 Meghann February 21, 2014 at 11:48 am

I’ve tried the Diva Cup before and wasn’t a fan. I wanted to like it, but it just wasn’t for me. I think we have to pick and choose our battles on what works best for us and I’m fine sticking with good ole tampons. 🙂

5 Tami February 21, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Do you wash the socks first

6 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust February 21, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I am always looking for a good pair of socks that don’t cause friction or blistering. Thanks for the recommendations. I have the same pink compression socks and love them (I have them black and purple too). My purse, or “black hole” as my husband likes to call it, is always stocked with chapstick, lip gloss, sharpie, gum, hand sanitizer, paper clip, plastic spoon, bobby pin (you never know), and floss.
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Kenyan Safari – Part Three: The Best For Last

7 Katie February 21, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I can’t wear compression socks while running, but I love sleeping in them after a hard day or before a big day!
Katie recently posted..Swim Session 5: Like a Rock

8 Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} February 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I love Brooks socks! I have a few pairs and find them to be one of the best socks for keeping my feet dry! My purse literally has everything but the kitchen sink! 🙂 Never no what you will find!
Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} recently posted..Effective Running Habits

9 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 21, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Love compression socks! Those are awesome – especially love the color! I’d be ashamed to show everything that is in my purse right now! 🙂
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..5 Tips When Money is Tight

10 Amanda February 21, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Oh Brooks socks…..I have so many pairs of the ‘training day’ ones. I love em. Have you ever tried Balega socks? They’re a bit pricey but so worth it. Give them a whirl!

my purse is pretty standard (wallet, phone, lip balm)but I have some nuun tablets and an iPod shuffle in there which is a little random. Lol.

11 Beth February 21, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I think our purses are eerily similar sans your work stuff and the sock change purse, which is very cute!
Beth recently posted..The time I took my bike into a quickie mart and hitchhiked.

12 Samantha February 21, 2014 at 4:46 pm

My purse is actually very simple. Day to day I carry a boho style backpack with my wallet, usually my ipad, a travel makeup case, gum, spare sunglasses, a notepad and pen, my iphone.

My work bag is a little crazier (I teach kids yoga)…yoga mat, mat cleaner and hand towel, hand sanitizer, ipod classic with all my teaching music, my class rosters and waivers, class plans, whatever props I’m using that day if they fit, water bottle, change purse with american money and yen, Garmin when it’s not charging + earbuds + arm band (often go to the gym after teaching), spare change of clothes, and my wallet, iphone, and travel makeup case get tossed in most days.

13 Lisa @ runnermamablogger February 22, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I love Mary Kay. I don’t like a heavy bag so I don’t half the stuff you do.
Lisa @ runnermamablogger recently posted..Proud Of The Team!

14 carol February 22, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Love that purse. Would you share where you picked it up?

15 Steph February 22, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I hate carrying purses. I have a rolling bag for work with all my “stuff”, but I carry just a small little wristlet/wallet for day to day and the weekend!
Steph recently posted..My favorite plus sized activewear **and a GIVEAWAY!**

16 Tonya @ Not Your Average Athlete February 22, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Where have I been? I didn’t realize Brooks made compression socks. I am curious how they would compare to Pro Compression (which I love).
Tonya @ Not Your Average Athlete recently posted..Planet Automattic: February 2014

17 Katie @ A Full Plate February 23, 2014 at 12:40 am

What 5k is it? I’m always looking for races that are dog friendly in the Tampa Bay Area.
Katie @ A Full Plate recently posted..Key West 2013

18 Meghann February 23, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Strawberry Classic in Temple Terrace

19 [email protected] My Mile! February 24, 2014 at 7:52 am

I always have lip gloss, coupons and a Balance Bar and almonds in my purse.
I am moving to Tampa from DC this week and so excited for warmer temps! Do you know of any running groups that I could join in Clearwater/Tampa area?
[email protected] My Mile! recently posted..Needing some Vitamin D