What’s Your Healthy?

by Meghann on February 5, 2014

Aetna recently reached out to ask What’s Your Healthy? I had to think long and hard about this one because all of the obvious answers came to mind – my healthy is working out, eating right, getting plenty of sleep, etc. – but sometimes being healthy goes beyond those basics. Sometimes taking care of your mental state is just as important as taking care of your physical state.

So what’s my healthy?

1.  Taking my dog on morning walks.

I wake up a few minutes early so Maddie and I can have our morning walks together. While the rest of the day is go-go-go, our morning walks are slow and casual. It’s just the two of us, up before the rest of the world, enjoying our morning. It’s a great reminder to slowdown and enjoy the quiet moments.

2.  Making dinner with my husband.

Derek and I have a nightly tradition of pairing up for dinner. He chops, I mix, and we work as a team to get healthy dinner on the table. When you’ve had a long day at the office, it nice to have the encouragement to actually cook dinner. It’s also our chance to talk and trade stories from our day.

3.  Leaving my phone in the other room.

My name is Meghann and I’m addicted to my smartphone. Hi, Meghann! It’s an addiction I’m working on, which is why I’m trying to get better at leaving my smartphone in another room when I come home from work. My charger is in the bedroom, so I’ll usually make a beeline to the bedroom and drop the phone off for night. I only get so much time with my husband everyday and I want to enjoy it without having the urge to check my phone every 2 minutes.

4.  Friend Dates

Never underestimate the power of a good friend date. Whether it be meeting for lunch, a run, or coffee; there’s nothing better than having that support system there for you. My friends keep me sane, it’s easy as that.

5.  Making workouts fun

Yes, this falls under the “mental” healthy category because, let’s face it, workouts are all mental and if you keep it fun you’re going to stick with it. I register for races because they’re fun. Running with a couple thousand of your closest friends, earning a medal, free food – what’s not fun about that? Having that fun goal keeps me motivated to train and get my butt up every morning. I also love CrossFit because it’s fun. There’s the challenge aspect of knowing I can improve each day, which keeps me coming back. You know what else is fun? Dancing around your living room, ice skating, and exer-games.

For more healthy tips and inspiration, check out Aetna’s What’s Your Healthy? campaign at www.WhatsYourHealthy.com

Join the conversation at #AetnaMyHealthy

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of AETNA®. The opinions and text are all mine

1 eb @ Running on E February 5, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Good post. I agree, mental health is just as important as how we treat our bodies. Workouts are great stress relievers for me, but somedays I need a break and skipping a workout is the best answer. I think being honest with yourself and giving your body & mind what it needs are important!

2 Amanda Elizabeth February 5, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I agree with all of these! Making dinner with Mark is such a nice unwind to my day. Once and a while I need a mental health day where I sleep in with no alarm….workout when ever I feel like it and have an all over recuperation. They are really quite refreshing!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Humpday Confessions- A Link Up

3 [email protected] February 6, 2014 at 6:41 am

that’s such a nice list. From that perspective my healthy is probably when I leave my electronic devices alone and read a good book.
[email protected] recently posted..Killer Treadmill Sprinting Workout

4 Lesley February 6, 2014 at 8:27 am

My healthy right now is taking time off for recovery and bonding with my new cat. She loves it when I sit on the floor so today is a day of rest where I can relax with her.
Lesley recently posted..Next Stop: Olympus!

5 Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health February 6, 2014 at 10:05 am

My healthy is talking about how I feel. Stress can wear me down immensely and I always feel better expressing how I feel to the people closest to me, like my little sisters 🙂 I tend to panic and they always calm me down. It’s appreciated beyond words <3
Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health recently posted..Last night’s dinner downfall

6 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 6, 2014 at 10:06 am

Keeping yourself mentally healthy is such an important topic; I feel like a lot of focus is put on physical health and sometimes mental health is overlooked. I make it a point to make it to yoga classes at least two times a week. Yoga helps me physically AND mentally, and I probably get the biggest benefit mentally. Sometimes I have to give up some sleep to make it to an early class, or, more often, some time on the computer, but it’s always worth it.
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

7 Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 6, 2014 at 10:21 am

Great post! I loved all of your reasons, I loved the cooking dinner with your husband. We don’t cook together but he sits at the bar and watches and when he cleans up I sit at the bar! haha.
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Day In the Life

8 Marius Bakken February 6, 2014 at 11:08 am

Dear Meghann,

I’m a Norwegian two-time Olympic runner (13.06 5k back in ’04) as well as an MD. I have been following your blog and want you to know that I’ve added you to a list of the Top 100 Running Blogs for 2014!

You are there, and deservedly so, in spot # 28!

My blog is quite new and certainly not as established as your site, but I try to share quality, inspirational posts with my readers.

Here’s one of my latest posts for you to check out:

If you like it, please feel free to share with your readers. 😉

Keep up the wonderful work.

Kind regards,
Marius Bakken, MD

9 Caitlin February 6, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I really like your list! Especially the whole leaving your phone in the other room thing (something I’m really working on) and also making your workouts fun. So key to sticking with them in the long-term.
Caitlin recently posted..That Augustana Song

10 [email protected] February 7, 2014 at 11:12 am

I like your list. Id probably also add- random acts of kindness. I love sending my best pal a cool new song on I-Tunes, leaving a little gift in my husbands car or sending a card out to my mom. Having some focus on making loved ones happy makes me happy in return. 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..What’s In My Bag…..Trader Joes Edition