Best Damn Race 2014

by Meghann on February 2, 2014

It took some blood, sweat, and tears, but we finished! Beka and I conquered the Best Damn Race Half Marathon this morning.

20140201_095409

Actually, “conquered” might be a bit of stretch. More like, we hung on for dear life as it conquered us. I would not recommend only training for a month for a half marathon. Not the smartest idea I’ve ever had. Not at all.

A little history…the Best Damn Race is a local race started by a local runner with the dream of creating a race that was for runners, by runners. The race is famous for its tiered pricing structure. Registration opens at $1 and goes up $5 every XX amount of participants that register. So if you register fast enough you have the chance of running the half marathon, 10k, or 5K for as low as $1. Pretty cool, right?

Beka and I ran the race last year and had a blast (it’s even Beka’s current half PR!). When we saw each other at the Yelp event on Sunday – and discovered neither of us had exactly trained for the race – we decided to make a pact to run it together again. This time we would just run it for fun and see what happened – no goals and no PRs.

So this morning I was up at the very painful 4:00am hour (ouch), put on my sparkle skirt, and guzzled a big gulp of coffee on the drive to Safety Harbor.

a7ff04328b2011e393ee0efe85b0f5ce_8

I also had made a thing of oats-in-a-jar, which is my new favorite portable breakfast for races.

20140201_041507

The weather was awful on Friday. I’m not sure where the forecasted sunshine and warmth had disappeared to; instead it was cold, wet, and miserable. The same sunshine and warm temps were forecasted for today, so I just chose to ignore the rain on my drive over and think happy, dry thoughts instead.

Per usual, I arrived way earlier than I should have and chose to sleep in my car for 30 minutes. Fun fact: did you know if you lock the car, then open the door from the inside while it’s still locked, your alarm goes off? I know that now!

A fun addition to this year’s Best Damn Race was the PR bell. It was right next to the finish line and anyone who crossed the finish line with a new PR was encouraged to ring the bell to let everyone know. I heard it go off all day and it made me smile every time.

PR Bell

Unfortunately I knew there would be no ringing for me this time. Maybe next year!

Beka and I found each other right before the race. We were rushing to get to the starting line when we ran into Amanda and discovered the 10K start had been delayed (it was supposed to start at 6:45), so our 7:15 start for the half had been pushed back. Oh well, perfect excuse for a photo op, right?

IMG_66201

We eventually made our way to the starting line and squeezed in near the 2:00 pacers.

20140201_071933

And, just to show how small of a racing community it is here, look who squeezed in behind us.

20140201_072100

The Best Damn Bachelorette Party was running the race in honor of Tori’s upcoming wedding. We ended up seeing them on and off on the race course. As our 10 minute delay turned into a 25 minute delay, it was nice having a group to talk to.

Even if all of us are named Meghan(n).

20140201_072507

What are the odds of getting 4 Meghan(n)s together who all have an “h” in their name? Ha! Take that, M-e-g-a-n!

I also ran into two other Megans I know on the course. And my mom swears no one else had my name when she was pregnant. If she knew how many moms-to-be were thinking the same thing at that time…

Anyway, eventually the roads were clear and we were finally ready to start. Woot!

20140201_071605

Going into this race Beka and I didn’t have any plans. I had a vague goal of going under 2:00, but with the way I’ve been running lately, I wasn’t even sure that was possible. Remember that time I trained my butt off and got super fast (for me)? Yeah, me neither. That was a lifetime ago.

When we crossed the starting line we just started running, simple as that.

The roads were a little congested with runners, so we hung back and somehow ended up right behind the 2:00 pacers (who were running crazy fast for 2:00 pacers in my humble opinion). We stayed with them for 2-3 miles, then Beka pushed past the guys in front and we broke free of the pack. Once we were in front of the pacers the roads seemed to clear up a little bit.

I felt fine for the first 3-4 miles. We ran through the same park I had run through with RunVie last weekend and had some gorgeous views of the water.

20140201_073919

It was after the park I started to feel like crap. My thighs were really rubbing together (chafing! ugh!), my sock was falling down in my shoes, and my IT band was wondering what the heck I was doing. This course is famous for its rolling hills and this Florida runner was not a fan. At this point I started questioning life and why I was running the half and not the 10k.

I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to hold the pace for all 13.1. I kept waiting for the 2:00 pacers to come up from behind and pass us. The strange thing is, Beka and I never slowed down. Actually, we started getting fast. No wonder I was feeling like crap – we were doing negative splits!

20140201_081850

We ran past the finish line and waved at all the 10k-ers entering the finish chute. We were very jealous.

We pushed forward and made a right into the neighborhoods we remembered from last year. My language started to get vulgar at this point. I cursed the familiar hills, I cursed the chafing between my legs, and I cursed my sock for slipping. Beka tried to distract us with conversation, asking about jobs, married life, and weddings (she’s in the middle of planning hers).

We hit a turn around point and saw all our friends. They all looked great – smiling and full of energy. I know I did not look great. My clothes were soaked with sweat, my buns were falling down, and I’m sure the forced smile I was giving looked a little scary.

Around mile 8 I took a mandarin Gu from an aid station. Beka and I were walking through every station and grabbing a cup of Gatorade and water at each one. I think the Gu helped, my tank was empty at that point and needed some fuel.

After the Gu, Beka and I continued to push ourselves past our current abilities. We caught up to our friend Meg, who was cramping and starting to slow down. We commiserated with her. Promises of extra large Bloody Marys were made.

From there we exited the neighborhoods and turned back onto Bayshore. All we had left was an out and back. We could do this. We could totally do this.

I kept looking at my watch and saying “Why the f*ck are we running this fast?!” If Beka wasn’t there, I know without a doubt I would have slowed down and given up at multiple points on the course. Instead I was digging deep and remembering what I was made of.

We hit the final turn around with two miles to go. At that point we knew we were coming in under 2:00, it was just a matter of how far under. Neither of us had much left, so our goal was just to keep it steady and make it to the finish.

There were a few hills between us and the finish. We pushed it on the uphill and cruised on the down hill. We also took a handful of walking breaks.

The weather had been nasty all morning. It was really humid and muggy. A thick fog had rolled in while we were running and we couldn’t see far in front of us. Beka had asked for another walking break at 12.85 and I told her we were so close to the finish line. The fog was so bad that we couldn’t see the finish line for that final motivation to finish.

Finally the finish line came into view. A couple of guys behind us started pushing hard and passed us. Good for them, I was perfectly happy with cruising in.

I lost Beka in the final stretch. The guy next to me started doing a side step into the finish line and I started thinking I should do something creative in the finish. A toe touch? A hand stand? I’ll just jump. So I jumped to the finish. No guaranteeing how high said jump was… should be a hilarious finish photo.

20140201_100713

Official results:

Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 10.03.19 AM

11 minutes slower than my PR, but I swear I finished feeling worse than I did after that race. The price I pay for not training.

20140201_093554

We did it! It hurt way worse than it should have, but we completed our goal of finishing together under 2 hours. Boo-yah!

20140201_093647

Love the medal! The sail spins and everything!

20140201_112449

That race was brutal, but a ton of fun. I can’t wait to run the inaugural Best Damn Race in Orlando next month and earn my double race medal. (psst…. registration is still open online! come run with me!). I’m hoping to have a few more training runs under my belt before March 1st and not finish feeling like death.

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs February 2, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Congrats on pushing through a tough race — way to go! πŸ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Links

2 Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 2, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Great job on the race! Way to push through!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Home Supplies + Five for Friday

3 Sabrina February 2, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I am running in Orlando too. Just the 5k because I have not run more than 2 miles in a very long time.

4 Amanda February 2, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Congrats on your race! Will you do a review of the Garmin 910?? I’m really curious about it. Mostly about how it performs in the pool/open water and how well it tracks calories.

5 [email protected] My Mile! February 2, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Great job and Congrats!!!
[email protected] My Mile! recently posted..#RunHappy Fashion Show!

6 Caroline February 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm

haha- I think that time is great for not really training (I haven’t hit that time even with training!). Congrats.
Caroline recently posted..Carmel Half Marathon Training Week 3 Recap

7 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Wow great job! This race sounds so awesome hopefully I will be able to do it one of these days! Glad you all had so much fun!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Training Recap: 1/27 – 2/2

8 Lesley February 2, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Congrats on pushing through! I found out about locked car doors and the car alarm when I was in 7th grade. I was trying to help as my parents got close to the car and the alarm went off :-/
Lesley recently posted..Random Sunday Musings 2/2

9 Rachel February 2, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Congrats! This years medal is MUCH better than last year! I should have registered – I love a good medal!

10 Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate February 2, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Your time was pretty damn good for not training more than a month if you ask me!! Love the skirt!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted..Fitness Friday: 25 Minute Total Body Workout

11 Sarahf February 2, 2014 at 5:10 pm

That is a great time! There’s many of us (um, me) who can’t get that time with training, so be proud of yourself!

12 Nick February 2, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for the post! I’m glad you easily went sub 2! See you in Orlando!

p.s. You can’t call those hills, those are more like speed bumps sister! Come run the Clearwater Beach Bridges with Beth and me some day! πŸ™‚

13 [email protected] February 2, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Wow, I would be very happy and proud to finish my first half with that time, even if I would be deadly broken. I am training for it at the moment, and I have the feeling it will be a lot of cursing involved πŸ™‚

14 megan February 2, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Haha that’s too funny about the Meghan(n)s. I don’t know too many that spell their name the way ya’ll do.
As in 80’s baby I think Megan and all it versions were very popular in that decade πŸ™‚

15 Runner Girl Eats February 2, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I saw you running through the park but felt super awkward waving and saying something lame like “Love your blog!” so chose to say nothing…but I think you looked great! This was my first half and I truly loved it. I wasn’t really sure how I was going to do but came in at 2:16 and am super happy with it πŸ™‚
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Confessions…I survived.

16 Meghan February 2, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Glad you powered through on your race- still much faster than I would be even training!

– a fellow Meghan πŸ™‚

17 Julie @ Running in a Skirt February 3, 2014 at 7:15 am

Way to stick with it and finish strong! Congrats! Your “slow” is faster than my “fast!!!” It’s all perspective! I loved your sparkly skirt.
Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted..Orlando Recap 2- 3 Disney Parks in a Day, Hot Krust Panini & Old Friends

18 Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom February 3, 2014 at 7:50 am

Congrats! You always run races with the coolest medals!
Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom recently posted..Today is the Day

19 [email protected] February 3, 2014 at 9:14 am

Great job on the race! Chafing is the absolute worst during a race. The first time it ever happened to me was during a half and I got so desperate I slathered my thighs with my chapstick to bring some relief!
[email protected] recently posted..Dinner at Venable

20 Amanda @runtothefinish February 3, 2014 at 10:01 am

Thanks for hanging out to do dinner, it was great to catch up with you and of course get all jealous about the bazillion people you have to run with over there in the Tampa area πŸ™‚ I really did love this course, so you’ve got me thinking about Clearwater!!

21 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 3, 2014 at 10:25 am

This race looks like so much fun! That’s a really great medal. It’s awesome that you were able to run negative splits (I hardly ever wind up doing that) and that you guys met your goal for the race. That PR bell is an awesome idea–more races should have those!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Goals for February

22 Amanda Elizabeth February 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

The weather was super crappy on Friday right? The forecasters said it was suppose to be up in the 70s or something? Congratulations on finishing! How cute is that running picture of all the girls!!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Weekend Recap Moving onto February

23 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen February 3, 2014 at 11:03 am

I wish I could run that fast even with training! .. Great job pushing through and finishing the race!

24 megan @ theveryhungryrunner February 3, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Hey now… I am a Megan and proud of it! πŸ˜› Awesome job running a sub-2 with only a month of training. You beat my PR if it makes you feel any better. πŸ˜‰ Nice work!
megan @ theveryhungryrunner recently posted..super bowl sunday

25 Beth February 3, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Congrats on a tough race! I’m pretty sure it was more to do with the humidity and heat out there. Everyone who came through looked really tired – even my crazy fast friends from track. Lol! Thanks for the awesome review and for coming out. πŸ™‚
Beth recently posted..January Stats/Recap + Last week’s Workouts

26 Molly Rose February 3, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Yay! congrats! That’s a pretty kickass time you finished in (in my humble opinion) πŸ™‚ I just completed my first half and ohhh so close to being under 2 hours … looks like I’ll be training in the future for another.

I do have plans to sign up for the best damn race orlando 5k! I should prob get on that!
Molly Rose recently posted..Naples Daily News Half Marathon

27 Andrea February 4, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Great race! I’m running the Orlando one too. And after this post, I’m worried about the Glass Slipper Challenge–due to an injury, I won’t have run at all from the Marathon to GSC…gulp!!
Andrea recently posted..Race #43–Space Coast Half Marathon