Double the Yelp, Double the Fun

by Meghann on January 30, 2014

Oh, Yelp, how I missed you.

Truth: I got really busy last fall. You know, between traveling for work, training for Ironman Florida, and trying to keep somewhat of a life, I had to let a few things go. One of those things was my involvement with Yelp. Don’t get me wrong, my Yelp app remained one of my favorite apps on my phone (it’s my go-to when I need a place to eat), but I wasn’t “Yelping” as much as I was before and I stopped RSVPing for Elite events. Boo.

Yelp is awesome. I got really involved with it in 2012 and fell in love with the Yelp Elite program and all the benefits that come with it (see: Yelp-O-Scream, Samurai Blue,  Yelptucky DerbyYelp’s Livin’ La Vida Local, A Berry Good Yelp, etc.). It’s free to anyone with access to the internet and as long as  you stay involved, the awesome events are worth coming back.

One of my New Year’s Resolution this year was to recommit to my Yelping and the Yelp community. Somehow I snuck in with an invitation to become Yelp Elite again in 2014 and scored a couple of RSVPs for Elite events this month (p.s. major congrats to our local Yelp community manager who built up the local Yelp program to include multiple Yelp elite events a month!).

First up was Yelp’s Thunder and Lightening Bonus Event last Thursday which included club level tickets to the Tampa Bay Lightning game.

20140123_204058

Hello date night with my husband! It didn’t take much convincing to get him to tag along.

20140123_193505

This was only my second hockey game ever, my first being a Lightning game Derek and I attended a couple of years ago. Our seats were pretty awesome, we were in section 202 near the center and were sitting in luxury thanks to the leather seats.

20140123_195457

Our tickets also included a free drink at World of Beer and a free cheesy bread from Little Caesars.

20140123_191108

I’m picky when it comes to beer so I’m thankful places like World of Beer exist. Craft beer makes me happy.

20140123_191113

I ordered a Cigar City Jai Alai and enjoyed every sip.

20140123_191857

And for the Little Caesar cheesy bread – when in Rome, right?

20140123_191647

It might have been my first time having cheesy bread since college. It wasn’t life changing or anything, but it definitely worked with the atmosphere.

Good news about the game – we won!

All in all, it was the makings for a good night. We should really go to games more often, there’s nothing better than breaking up a long work week with a night out.

Fast forward to Sunday, I had the pleasure of attending “The Yelpies” elite event at Datz Dough.

yelpevent

Double the Yelp, Double the Fun.

Datz Dough laid it all out for the 2014 Yelp Elite. We had drinks (really, really good drinks), we had food, we had doughnuts, and we had amazing people to live it up with.

IMG_3136

IMG_3082

IMG_3135

IMG_3120

IMG_3127

Love Potion #9 (a raspberry and gin concotion) gets two thumbs up.

IMG_3083

I’m not really a cocktail/ liquor fan, but this one was delicious. I think it has to do with the fact that I couldn’t taste the alcohol, that’s usually how I know it’s a good drinks.

For the passes appetizers, we had duck fat fries, a chicken sandwich, shrimp and grits, and parmesan tots.food

The shrimp and grits sample was the table favorite. It was the perfect southern classic.

Then there was the bacon bar.

IMG_3102

Three different kinds of bacon (chili, regular, caramel peanut) were served fresh off the griddle. IMG_3116

I had a bite of each. The flavor was all really strong and very unique.

Speaking of bacon, I finally got to try Datz Dough’s bacon doughnut. IMG_3093

I really, really wanted to like this, but the flavors didn’t work for me. This was just a maple doughnut with a piece of bacon on top. I think it would have been better if the bacon was actually incorporated in the doughnut, like cut up and the cream or in the batter or something.

IMG_3095

However, the other doughnuts did impress me.

IMG_3124

The chocolate was a favorite, especially when I paired with the gelato.

IMG_3125

Oh, did I mention the S’mores bar?

IMG_3131

And it wouldn’t be a complete visit to Datz Dough with out a coffee.

IMG_3139

I ordered a small cappuccino with almond milk.

IMG_3144

The almond milk was very rich with this drink. I could only finish about half.

Last, but not least, there were the “Yelpies” where local Yelpers vote on categories like best lists, best writer, best photographer, etc.

IMG_3148

Congrats to all the winners!

We left Datz Dough stuffed to the max.

sarahandmeghann

I can’t wait to return for lunch in the near future. I’ve been for breakfast (and doughnuts, of course), but lunch is something I still need to try.

1 Sabrina January 30, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I started Yelp in 2012 and fell off the grid last year. I’m back on it this year and already finding new I me places to check out! I love your reviews and make me wish I lived closer to Tampa. Congrats on another year of Yelp Elite! 🙂
Sabrina recently posted..Weekly Recap: Week 4

2 Ashley January 30, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I had no IDEA about yelp!! That is AMAZING.
Side note, what kind of camera do you use. If you don’t mind me asking 🙂
Ashley recently posted..Weight loss and goals

3 [email protected] January 30, 2014 at 9:16 pm

When my husband spent a year living in Tampa, and we nearly moved there permanently one of my favorite things to do on my visits was go to a game of some sort and hockey was one of my favorites! This post made me all nostalgic! 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..Too Fabulous To Be This Size

4 hannah @ PalmBeachRunner January 30, 2014 at 9:22 pm

the bacon treats are intriguing! I actually might like them ( I never thought I’d say that) but for some reason they look delicious!

5 Courtney January 30, 2014 at 9:26 pm

You are CRAZY if you don’t yelp! My favorite thing about the app is that even if you don’t have time to read through reviews (or don’t want to be THAT person in your group), the “review highlights” section of each restaurant zeros on key phrases that show up in multiple reviews… so in 10 seconds you can see what is must have about a restaurant. Some people give me strange looks when I talk about Yelp.. like why would I waste my time reviewing things… but the perks of being elite are super swanky and I love to use it as a travel diary of sorts. For example, I like to look back at my Key West reviews and photos and think about my honeymoon… Plus for you runners out there, Yelp allows business listings for races, so you can read up on tips for your next race!!
*gets down off of yelp lovin’ soapbox*
Courtney recently posted..Tinker Bell Half Marathon Recap!

6 Jen @ Consumer Walking Shoes January 30, 2014 at 10:33 pm

OMG that looks so much fun! I think I should start getting into Yelp again. I’ve done a few reviews but not in the hundreds or anything like some people. How did you get into the elite program?
Jen @ Consumer Walking Shoes recently posted..Best Website Awards 2013

7 Meghann February 2, 2014 at 9:26 am

You don’t have to have hundreds of reviews, you just have to be consistent and involved with the Yelp community.

8 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 30, 2014 at 11:43 pm

S’mores!?!??! I love all things s’mores! Looks like an awesome and fun night!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Cold Weather Challenges

9 Jenn January 31, 2014 at 6:03 am

Elite yelper here too! Unfortunately I can’t always make the elite events b/c work usually gets in the way but I love the community!
Jenn recently posted..Welcome to Healthy Dose of Pixie Dust!

10 Amanda Elizabeth January 31, 2014 at 8:15 am

I didn’t know Cigar City was at the hockey games now!!! All that food at Datz looked amazing! I wasn’t impressed with the bacon donut either!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Friday Favorites

11 Allison January 31, 2014 at 10:03 am

Wow, looks like some great events!

12 Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 31, 2014 at 10:03 am

What an awesome experience! Yelp seems like such a cool program to be apart of!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Home Supplies + Five for Friday

13 Runner Girl Eats January 31, 2014 at 11:44 am

I just took a tour of the lightning facilities as a part of a work partnership and was so impressed! It was my first time in the arena but it was really great.

14 Lee January 31, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I didn’t realize all that Yelp had to offer. Very cool! I agree that hockey games are a great date night! My husband and I have been season ticket holders for the Carolina Hurricanes for many years and it is super fun!

15 Ashley January 31, 2014 at 12:17 pm

SO much fun! This makes me feel like I need to do something lookin’ into Yelp!

16 Steph January 31, 2014 at 12:49 pm

OMG, that bacon!!!
Steph recently posted..B&A Half Training Update #1

17 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 31, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Oh man — those doughnuts look delicious!! Well, all of the food looks delicious really 🙂

Happy Friday!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

18 Alice January 31, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I think you mean a “hockey” game, not a “honkey” game.

🙂

19 Meghann February 2, 2014 at 9:25 am

Yep. I went back and corrected it.

20 Kelly @ Kelly the Culinarian January 31, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I love the Yelp Elite program! I’ve already been to two parties this year. It’s a great way to make friends and visit new establishments. And the Yelp app is awesome when I travel.

21 Megan January 31, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I’m in the same boat as you with yelp. I was so active in 2012 and 2013 was a totally different story. Somehow I got elite again in 14 and vowed to start reviewing again! Hope to see ya at one of Febs events.
Megan recently posted..It’s time to apply for the 2014 NYC Marathon…#TCSNYCMarathonApply

22 SK February 1, 2014 at 1:38 am

Love the recap! Love ya -your first honkey game! I love how you don’t care about posting TIPSY and making a billion spelling / grammar mistakes! You’re so real and honest!

23 Andrea February 3, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I got involved in Yelp in the middle of last year and became Elite towards the end so I’ve only been to one Elite event. But it was so much fun! Unfortunately we haven’t had any this year yet–I’m hoping they plan some events soon!
Andrea recently posted..Race #43–Space Coast Half Marathon

24 Jennifer February 4, 2014 at 4:23 pm

That is an awesome Yelp event! I love hockey and Tampa Bay is good this year! If I root for any team other than my Detroit Red Wings, it’s Tampa (but only because Steve Yzerman was the face of the Wings for nearly my whole existence ;). Hope you get to go to more games. I’m sure hockey isn’t as widely supported in Florida as it is up here where I am. 🙂