Homemade Tortilla Chips

by Meghann on January 24, 2014

Happy Friday!

I have an easy recipe (well, I’m not even sure I’d call it a recipe?) that was inspired by my brother and sister-in-law. You see, they brought these AMAZING tortilla chips to my brother-in-law’s 30th birthday party last August. When I asked where they got them, they told me they made the chips themselves with a bottle of vegetable oil and a package of corn tortillas. Sounds easy enough.

Derek and I had tacos last week and ended up with a good chunk of corn tortillas left. What to do? What to do?

IMG_3022

We decided to experiment with our own chip making. We had no other instructions besides placing the corn tortillas in hot oil, so experimenting was the key term there.

IMG_3025

We started by cutting the corn tortillas in quarters. We had about 12 corn tortillas, which made 48 chips.

IMG_3026 IMG_3028

We poured a 24-oz bottle of vegetable oil in a pot and put the stove to high. Our stove sucks, so it took a while to get hot enough. My dad taught me the trick of flicking water in oil, if there’s a reaction then it’s hot enough, it nothing happens, then it’s not hot enough yet. I saw no reaction, but decided to try a tortilla wedge anyway. No dice. It soaked up the oil and floated to the bottom.

I waited a little longer, saw a reaction, then tried again. This time the tortilla wedge floated. Much better.

IMG_3031

It didn’t take long for the tortillas to cook. I put about 8 in at a time and by the time I dropped the last one in, the first one was ready to flip. I used tongs to flip each of them and by the time I reached the last one, the first one was ready to come out. You knew they were ready when they were a light golden brown. You had to move fast though because they went from golden to burnt in a matter of seconds.

IMG_3032

I brought the chips to a paper towel, sprinkled on some salt, then transferred them to a bowl as soon as they were cool.

IMG_3034

The chips were AMAZING, especially with a bowl of homemade veggie soup.

IMG_3036

The chips were really easy to make and the leftovers kept for a couple of days. However, it was really messy and I hate messing with that much oil. I think we’ll continue to make homemade chips on the rare occasion, but I don’t think we’ll become exclusive homemade chips eaters (don’t worry Tostitos, you’ll always have our business).

Have you ever made homemade tortilla chips?

1 Amanda Elizabeth January 24, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Those look so yummy!!!! What did you do with oil after your were done?
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Friday Favorites Pirate Edition

2 Jess January 24, 2014 at 6:08 pm

You can bake or grill them in the oven. Obviously a slightly different outcome, but there is no oil wastage. Brush them with a little oil and season them before you put them in.

3 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 24, 2014 at 6:08 pm

These looks simple, delicious, and easy! I have never made my own but now I am thinking about trying it out!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Five Tips When Making a Big Decision

4 Traci January 24, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I bake tortilla chips all the time by cutting tortillas just like you did, coating them lightly with an olive oil spray, and adding a sprinkle of salt and/or other seasonings. Stick ’em in the oven and bake until the desired crispiness. They don’t get greasy and I prefer my chips with less salt than comes in bagged chips, so these are a regular occurrence in my kitchen!
Traci recently posted..The Best Medicine

5 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 24, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I’ve never tried making my own, but they look delicious! Perhaps a project for this weekend 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

6 Lindsay January 24, 2014 at 6:33 pm

What did you do with all the leftover oil? It seems like a lot! I have made baked chips with flour tortillas and just a spray of oil.

7 [email protected] January 24, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I’ve made homemade tortillas but never a chip. Looks really cool but I also would probably get too annoyed about the mess and just buy them.
[email protected] recently posted..Workout ADHD

8 Natasha January 24, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I usually make them in the oven – brush with a little oil and some salt (or other spices, you can get creative!) and then keep an eye on them until they are brown enough! I find sometimes they seem not to be crispy enough when you first take them out, but they get crispier as they cool. I´ve done this with pitta bread too, works just as well!

9 Kristen January 24, 2014 at 6:42 pm

So much easier (and healthier) to brush them with olive oil on both sides before slicing and bake in oven at 400 for 10 mins.

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 24, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I LOVE making baked homemade tortilla chips simply by cutting them up, spraying with a little cooking spray, sprinkle of salt and throwing them in the oven for a few minutes. So easy and SO good!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Planning to Get Muddy!

11 Ashley January 24, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Try sprinkling with a little sugar and cinnamon. Or leave whole for Indian Fry Bread. Yum!!

12 Kimba January 24, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Or you could just bake them and eliminate all that oil. 🙂

13 bree January 24, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I love your blog! I am a florida girl who runs too, and one day I stumbled across it, never to look back! I actually overtrained in my last marathon and after a month of no running at all, an mri and cortisone shot…they have decided I have a torn labrum. I never thought it would happen to me, so runners out there (readers) beware! Im only 30 and its from overuse. Anyways, I was wondering on your opinion….Im so USED to my am runs and REALLY mentally struggling with the injury, but could be out another 6 mths or more….is it possible to stay in shape without running? Its all ive ever done! also- im used to eating huge amounts and not gaining weight due to miles and miles, but have already gained 10! eeks- any advice? thanks!!

14 Courtney January 24, 2014 at 10:48 pm

LOVE homemade tortilla chips. Paired with homemade guacamole, I am pretty sure I would choose that as my “last” meal on earth.
Courtney recently posted..California Adventure Part 1

15 Sheena @ Paws and Pavement January 24, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I have made my own tortilla chips several times but I prefer to bake them for a healthier option. I bet your’s were awesome though and homemade beats store bought every time!

16 Runner Girl Eats January 25, 2014 at 8:31 am

We make our own chips all the time but in the oven so they are a little healthier. Perfect for some guac!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Cowardly blogger

17 Dad January 25, 2014 at 9:07 am

We’ll believe it or not my dad taught me that trick and I. Was watching a cooking show and the lady wraped or covered the stove top with newspaper before frying looked like easy cleanup love my baby

18 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner January 25, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Like everyone else has said, I’ve made tortilla chips and pita chips by brushing with olive oil and salt and baking in the oven until brown. My husband has a deep fryer that he uses sometimes to fry up fish or french fries, etc. but I hate the mess of cleaning it up.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Reunited at Last

19 Rebecca Jo January 25, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Yeah – I’d probably end up burning myself. I’ll keep buying my overload of bags of Tostitos… but good to know this is possible if worse comes to worse & I’m having a nacho fit 🙂

20 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner January 25, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I bake mine! Spray them with cooking spray, sprinkle them with salt, and place them in the oven for 10-ish minutes at 350. So good! My family out in California always fries their corn tortillas like that for tacos. They are absolutely the BEST tacos!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..this + that

21 [email protected] January 26, 2014 at 12:11 am

I hate messing with oil too! It grosses me out. 🙂 But I do love getting creative and not wasting groceries.
[email protected] recently posted..Too Fabulous To Be This Size

22 Ashley January 26, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I always wonder if people can re-use the oil after frying because it seems like it requires SO Much (gross question?!)
Ashley recently posted..Wait We Didn’t Have Plans?

23 Casey January 29, 2014 at 8:10 am

You can reuse the oil! 🙂

24 Charlie January 27, 2014 at 7:38 am

You could also bake them for about 6-8min, and sprinkle with salt and paprika Delicious and a little healthier!
Charlie recently posted..So You Think You Can Dance?