Training Updates

by Meghann on January 22, 2014

CrossFit

I’m on my third week back in CrossFit and, let me just tell you, I am SORE all the time now. I’ve basically been limping my way around the office for the last few weeks. My body is slowly adjusting to using muscles it hasn’t used in months and man it’s been a wake-up call for how weak I’ve gotten.

20140122_065339

I’m basically starting from scratch with all my weights. We did bench presses last Friday lifting 90% of our 3RM. Just for fun I checked my old weight card (we keep track of RMs/times on index cards) and saw my last recorded 3RM bench press was last February at 75#. I had a 5RM bench press in April at the same weight. I told the coach that and he suggested trying for a 5 RM instead of doing the suggested workout. He was convinced I could do more than 75# on a 5RM. Ha! Clearly he underestimated how weak I’ve gotten. I ended up maxing out at 65# for the 5RM and that was a big challenge for me. Wah.

I’ve also scaled back all of my go-to weights for kettle bell swings/medicine ball slams/etc and had to go back to using a thicker band for assisted pull-ups. The good news is I’m still good with hand stand push-ups (HSPU), but I blame my gymnastic background for always having a talent with those.

I’m also not letting any of that deter me. We all have to start somewhere and I’m fine starting at the beginning again. I’ve been there before and I know I can only get stronger from here. I’ll see results (I’ve seen them before!) it just takes time and dedication.

Running

Eh. I’m running.

20140122_175646

From tonight’s run with the office.

Do as I say, not as I do, because training for a half marathon (I’m running Best Damn Race on February 1st) in a month is a stupid idea. Not sure what I was thinking with that one. I started with a base of 6 miles for my long run the first week in January and have been building that by a mile or two each week, keeping an average of 20-25 miles per week. So I ran 7 miles for my long run on January 11th, 9 miles last Saturday, and I’m aiming for 10 miles this weekend. Race day is next weekend and my goal is to finish. That is all.

20140122_175650

I need to get back into speed training – and I want to get back into speed training – but I’m struggling to find motivation still. I’m (hopefully!) running the Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Marathon in June (CAN’T WAIT!) and am going to work with a certain run coach on getting an awesome training plan in place. I run better with a real training plan. Otherwise I just run without much rhyme or reason on my own.

Cycling

Nada.

The XP crew has been riding every Saturday and Sunday, but I’ve been enjoying my weekends too much to join them. They leave later in the day, drive far to ride, and are too fast for me to keep up with. Yeah. I think I’m good for now.

I did go on a ride a couple of weekends ago on my own, which was nice. Since I’m not training for any triathlons at the moment, I’m going to continue to take the casual approach to riding. Who knows – I may try and squeeze an afternoon ride in on Sunday.

Swimming

I really need to buy a new pair of goggles. My other pair is lying at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. A wave took them at the end of the Ironman Florida swim in November and I’ve been goggle-less since.

Swimming is more of a logistical issue. Our favorite pool is closed for the season and the other option closes at 7. I’ve been working past 6 lately so by the time I leave the office it’s not worth the drive. Plus, it’s been chilly and I’m a wimp.

I do miss swimming and am hoping to join a swim practice again soon.

I’m looking at 70.3s for a goal race in September or October. I’ve still got a couple of months before I make any decisions. We’ll see how training for my marathon in June goes!

How’s your training going?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 22, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I am with ya, M. I need the structure of a training plan for running!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Run to Napa – and a few words on Inspiration

2 Victoria January 22, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Come to B2B half in October!

3 Molly January 22, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I love your raw descriptions! Not sure how you could keep up with all of those though. Do whichever you want!

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 22, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I am coming back from injury so I primarily run small distances and then spin or weight train – so far so good!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..EnduroPacks Product Review and Giveaway

5 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger January 22, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I’m with ya Meg on the sore muscles! I too had taken a break from crossfit and the WODS are really kicking my butt 🙂 In a good way of course! I just have to keep thinking that in a month, my muscles wont be so sore 🙂

6 beka January 22, 2014 at 9:26 pm

So I haven’t been training either. In fact your plan looks JUST like mine! I say we team up again this year? It might be a PR for me still? LOL
beka recently posted..What happens when you get serious about running a marathon?

7 Meghann January 23, 2014 at 7:04 am

haha. Agreed. Let’s take it easy and enjoy the sights.

8 Ali January 22, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Swimming can be such a logistical nightmare! I wish it were like running and biking where you could start at your front door. I think casual riding in the off-season is a fantastic plan, and strength training is a good plan, for sure. Enjoy the off-season while you have it! 🙂
Ali recently posted..This Week in Training: WC 13 January

9 [email protected] January 22, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Right now I am in winter season and just trying to stay active. Ottawa area races really do not start until March (my first half is in May), so I am using this time as more of an extended base building part of my training. I do not like running on a sidewalk covered in ice (not even an exaggeration, it is the truth, stupid Ottawa) nor do I like running in the dark, so for the past 3 years I have always taken it easy in winter.

I am running a 5K race this weekend! It is just a fun race for me to get out there and support the group that is putting on the race. Things become more serious in March!
[email protected]. recently posted..Say What?

10 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 22, 2014 at 10:26 pm

All if my workouts have been happening inside because it is just too darn cold in Ottawa. So I’m content with doing a mix of treadmill runs & strength training 6 days a week!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Amazingly Chewy Peanut Butter + Chocolate Chip Cookies

11 Jessica January 22, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Hey, you don’t have to do ‘all the workouts’. 😀 I don’t think there is anything wrong with sticking to Cross Fit and running if that is what is making you happy right now.

12 Becky @ RunFunDone January 22, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Arg. I hear ya! I just got back into lifting, and could only lift 2 days the first week because I needed to let my muscles heal! My running training has been terrible as well. I wanted to PR in the half marathon in March, but I can’t get off my butt to train. It’s just so cold and dark where I live! I don’t want to run, I want to wrap myself up in a snuggie!
Becky @ RunFunDone recently posted..And Lazy is Winning!

13 Lauren January 22, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who is always sore from Crossfit! I’m running a half in March and need to start doing some long runs ASAP!

14 Amanda January 23, 2014 at 4:17 am

We start where we start. I’m building my base for half marathon training. I’ve really slacked off lately. Training doesn’t start until March but I can’t just loaf around until then! (It’s 2* and windy up here and NOBODY is motivated to leave the house these days. )

15 Runner Girl Eats January 23, 2014 at 6:44 am

I’m running the BDR in Safety Harbor next week as my first half! Are you running that one or Orlando?? I have been training but not as well as I should have…really slacking on cross training :/
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Working out and eating in

16 Meghann January 23, 2014 at 7:03 am

I am! I can never resist a good challenge medal. 🙂

17 [email protected] January 23, 2014 at 7:08 am

love hearing your workout descriptions, especially the cross fit. I’m sure you’ll get stronger again in no time!
[email protected] recently posted..Much Needed Yoga and Why the Beginning of a Run Sucks

18 Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 23, 2014 at 8:37 am

Great job on all fronts! I have been doing P90X plus running (and lot more speed) I have found that with the weight lifting I have been better with speed and this has really motivated me to get in that speed.
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Winter Blues Treadmill Workout!

19 [email protected] January 23, 2014 at 8:37 am

I’m competing in my first Ironman 70.3 distance this June in Raleigh so I am building up my base before training starts at the end of February.
[email protected] recently posted..Weekly Workouts 1/13-1/19

20 Kristin January 23, 2014 at 8:59 am

I’m currently training for the Boston Marathon and I am doing my first Ironman in August, Mont Tremblant! I am also a Crossfitter! Any tips on juggling crossfit with triathlon training would be appreciated! My triathlon training comes first, but I really do enjoy crossfit and how it makes me stronger. I know once it gets to be spring, I won’t be able to crossfit as much, since I will be biking a ton! Jealous you are able to run outside comfortably this time of year… it’s freezing here in Boston!

21 Amanda Elizabeth January 23, 2014 at 10:01 am

Which crossfit studio are you going to? Hasn’t the running in Tampa been so gorgeous lately? 🙂

22 EB @ Running on E January 23, 2014 at 10:38 am

Having a plan is essential for me otherwise I get too random about my training.
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Why I #RunDonna.

23 Courtney January 23, 2014 at 10:57 am

I LOVED RnR Seattle. It is possibly my favorite marathon course (if they haven’t changed it since 2012). City, forest, water.. everything! And not nearly as hilly as I expected 🙂 Plus I just love Seattle!

I’ve been the same way about training since IMAZ. I’m kicking myself for signing up for a bunch of races (Tink Half, Princess Half and Garmin Marathon in April), but also super glad I have because otherwise I would have sat around a lot more and gained even more weight post-IM. I’m forcing myself into the pool over lunch today and just DREADING how cold I’m going to be!
Courtney recently posted..California Adventure Part 1

24 Dori January 23, 2014 at 1:56 pm

You’re running RNR Seattle!!! A few weeks ago I was very seriously considering doing it because I was struggling so much with finding affordable flights for Eugene, but in the end the prices ended up not being very different so I’m sticking with Eugene. But in my research it looked like a really fun race!
Dori recently posted..Marathons Are Emotional

25 Beth January 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I give you mad props for Crossfit. I am too wimpy to go to one of those gyms. They make me nervous. I am going to try Orange Theory tomorrow AM. We’ll see how it goes. 🙂

P.S. We are riding Flatwoods on Sunday with our coach so he’ll likely be killing us in loops but you are welcome to come out join us or just see us in loopy passing. Lol!
Beth recently posted..Don’t be the carnage

26 Katie January 23, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I need to start running Feb 1. I signed up for a late April half and this winter has killed me! Last year I was great about running in the winter, but I had a June 26.2 on the calendar. This year I’m looking at triathlons, so the run distance is manageable. I did get a swim coach, so working with him has been great! I do need to get back into the running grove though. And this year I want to really watch my mileage and build it slow. The last two years I’ve had slight, but super annoying injuries which I blame on doing too much too soon.
Katie recently posted..Workout Wednesday: Wellness (sickness)

27 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust January 23, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I have never done Crossfit – it looks tough! It seems way different from the endurance training that I am used to. I haven’t signed up YET, but I’m in the beginning stages of training for IM Boise 70.3!
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..You’re Unique, Just Like Every Other Fan

28 Erin January 23, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I just recently got back into the gym after a too-long hiatus. I go to kokofit club which is basically a virtual personal trainer. I jumped right back in where I left off months ago. I expected to be ridiculously sore for awhile, but surprisingly I wasn’t. I think it has something to do with the doterra cellular vitality supplement. It supports cellular repair and I really think it helped to repair muscle faster making me sore for a shorter period of time. Something to consider with all of your training!

29 Amanda @runtothefinish January 24, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I need a pair of goggles for when I kick off my swimming, which one’s do you like??? And I can’t wait to see you next weekend!!

30 Hannah @ PalmBeachRunner January 24, 2014 at 5:55 pm

My training is just pretty much just “maintaining” at this point. I run about 30min a day and do two-three spin classes a month. I am just trying to stay healthy and fit until another race sparks my interest.

It is hard to not push myself hard-core like a used to, but at the same time there is something so nice about enjoying sleeping in and mornings with my husband before work each day.

31 Sheena @ Paws and Pavement January 24, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I am training for a marathon at the end of May and this bitter cold winter weather has been killing my motivation and I haven’t been able to run outside. -30 windchills, I think not! I have been trying my best on the treadmill but my long runs are suffering too. Please motivation come back! Good luck with your race, my birthday is February 1st and its the big 3-0. I wish I could run a race that day too.
Sheena @ Paws and Pavement recently posted..Trying to beat the winter blues