Festival of Chocolate

by Meghann on January 19, 2014

Have I ever told you I’m a marketer’s dream? Because I totally am.

I was driving home from work last week and I passed two digital billboards advertising The Festival of Chocolate coming to MOSI this weekend.  Obviously this was a sign I had to go.

IMG_2941

Obviously.

The truth is I’ve known about The Festival of Chocolate for a few years. It’s an annual festival that comes to MOSI every January. Unfortunately I’m usually busy the weekend it’s here, but this year I just happened to be free and the billboard was a good reminder that I needed to go.

b02393e4808a11e3812812d0fad9bdb7_8

It didn’t take much convincing to bring Derek along. All I had to do was mention chocolate and he was sold. We love our chocolate!

The Festival of Chocolate highlights the science, health benefits, production, and overall deliciousness of chocolate.  A ticket to the festival is included with your day pass to MOSI or free if you’re a member.

IMG_3014

I’d never been inside MOSI before so it was fun to explore the other exhibits, while enjoying the chocolate festival. Our ticket also came with a free movie at their Imax Dome (we saw “The Great Universe”).

IMG_2942

Once inside we headed straight to the “Chocolate Candy Store,” where a couple dozen vendors were sampling and selling their prized chocolate treats.

IMG_2972 IMG_2967

Items were sold in chocolate coin currency. Each item was a certain number of coins, and each coin was equivalent of $1.

IMG_3004

We had 15 coins (or $15).

IMG_2973

IMG_2949

Highlights included a chocolate cupcake from Sweet Tweets

IMG_2950

A chocolate brownie/ strawberry bite

IMG_2963

Chocolate covered strawberries with Fruity Pebbles

IMG_2994 IMG_2995

And a hazelnut macaroon

IMG_2981

If I’m being honest, most items were overpriced. They played the same game most food festivals do – change the currency to a coin or ticket instead of $$ so it makes you feel like you’re spending less than what you really are (especially considering our tickets into the festival were $20 each). However, I understand specialty items (and putting on events!) is $$$ so there’s that.

IMG_2958 IMG_2971

On the plus side, they did have a good amount of free samples to try.

IMG_2948

IMG_3002

After we spent all our coins in the candy store, we made our way through the rest of the festival where they had various chocolate themed booths around the museum.

IMG_3009 IMG_3011

IMG_3013 IMG_3019

We rounded out the afternoon with our movie in the IMAX dome.

So now I can mark “Festival of Chocolate” off the ole bucket list. It was fun, but definitely a lot different than I was expecting. I thought it would be more like the Great American Pie Festival, where you pay a flat rate and have unlimited access sampling the pie buffet. I was also hoping to see impressive chocolate sculptures or other chocolate themed displays. This was more like the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, where you pay a hefty amount for a ticket to get into the event then pay even more to sample your way through it (though with both events you also have access to the theme park/ museum exhibits).

I would also say a lot of the festival activities were kid themed. It would have been better to have a kid to tag along with (mental note: borrow kid for next festival).

What’s your favorite chocolate item?

I’ll have to admit I was drawn to all things that included both chocolate and nuts. If it has to do with a combination of chocolate and nuts (or peanut butter!), I’m usually sold.

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 19, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Jeez — that does seem expensive for the food items! Definitely an event I’d go to once, but perhaps not one I’d attend annually.

Happy Sunday
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Links

2 MissPinkKate January 19, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I saw on their website they do some sort of “chocolate obstacle course”- was that something you could do?

3 Meghann January 19, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I looked into it (because it sounded like fun!) but it’s only on Monday

4 Becky @ Olives n Wine January 19, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I’m most definitely not picky when it comes to chocolate! Although I always crave to the combination of chocolate and peanut butter 🙂
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Chocolate Berry Protein Shake

5 Ali January 19, 2014 at 9:56 pm

OMG, that chocolate all looks so good! I want it all. Love your IM finisher’s jacket. 🙂
Ali recently posted..Zen

6 Amanda Elizabeth January 19, 2014 at 10:01 pm

That’s looks amazing I will definitely have to check this out!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Friday Favorites

7 Sabrina January 19, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I will eat just about anything with chocolate, but I am especially fond of the chocolate and caramel combo! I wish I could have been at the festival this year. Looks like a delicious dream!
Sabrina recently posted..Weekly Recap: Week 3

8 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 19, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Festival of chocolate!??!! Now THAT is something that I need to go to! Everything looks so delicious!

9 Diana January 20, 2014 at 1:10 am

I don’t like food events where you have to pay a hefty admission then pay for the food too. It ends up being too costly for what you really get. Hope you enjoyed MOSI though, that place is usually really fun.
Diana recently posted..My Experience with Florida’s Defective Unemployment System

10 Sarah K January 20, 2014 at 1:41 am

This sounds like my kind of festival. I usually go for anything dark chocolate or involving the chocolate and PB combination.
Sarah K recently posted..Don’t Change My Movies

11 meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles January 20, 2014 at 6:19 am

I agree with you on the price thing, so frustrating but I guess I understand. I always wanted to go to the Chocolate festival thing in Manhattan that used to come every year. I actually wanted to attend in November and then for the first time, they skipped 2013. lol go figure. My favorite chocolate these days is chocolate covered fruit. I am a sucker for an Edible Arrangement as well as the giant chocolate covered apples in Disney World (especially if peanut butter is involved too).
meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..Weekend Plus Fabulous Guacamole Recipe

12 Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork January 20, 2014 at 6:54 am

That looks like a good time! It would have been so hard to choose!
Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork recently posted..Friday Favorite: Gaiam BalanceBall Desk Chair

13 Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life January 20, 2014 at 6:54 am

I live near Hershey Chocolate and always love the Annual Chocolate Fest! Yummy!

14 [email protected] January 20, 2014 at 7:07 am

wow, i need to find one of these near me. Kind of annoying about the priciness though, but perhaps unlimited chocolate would be a bit too dangerous anyways.
[email protected] recently posted..Sweet Potato Gingerbread

15 Caroline January 20, 2014 at 7:17 am

Sounds like a delicious event 🙂 I just finished a crystalized ginger in chocolate bar, and that was delicious!
Caroline recently posted..Dos Chorreras and Cajas National Park

16 Amanda January 20, 2014 at 7:34 am

A chocolate festival sounds like a dream come true. But you’re right about the pricing! 4$ for a dessert bar?!

17 Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 20, 2014 at 7:36 am

Sounds like a fun time though! I’m not a huge chocolate person (I know its kinda weird!) but if I am going to eat chocolate I like a nice piece of dark chocolate.
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Eating Our Way Through Our Mini Vacation!

18 [email protected] January 20, 2014 at 9:00 am

I need to eat all of that!!!

I like chocolate and peanut butter items as well as chocolate mint!

and chocolate ice cream

and chocolate pie
[email protected] recently posted..I ran outside

19 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com January 20, 2014 at 12:21 pm

sounds like the perfect event for me too. I have always been a tad bit obsessed with chocolate…to the point where when my fiancé and I got engaged, the first thing I said (after saying yes) was that I wanted a chocolate wedding cake.

20 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust January 20, 2014 at 12:55 pm

What a perfect way to spend a day – in a chocolate paradise. I am a HUGE chocolate fan and would probably have gotten sick if I were there (no restraint). I would have to say that the combination of chocolate and peanut butter – or caramel – would be a personal fave.
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Stalked by a T Rex

21 Samantha January 20, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Did you try the armpit fudge? We do it at many cub scout events…it tastes more like frosting than fudge, but it’s fun to do for kids!

22 Meghann January 20, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I did not, but I was definitely intrigued by the concept!

23 Maria January 20, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Mmmm this looks delicious but agreed – a bit pricy! I would blow that $15/”coins” so fast!
Maria recently posted..3 Day Weekend

24 Sarahf January 21, 2014 at 2:24 am

That all looks really delicious! Sometimes it’s worth shelling out a little extra for a fun afternoon like that, even if it’s a one off.
Sarahf recently posted..Marvellous in My Monday!

25 Megan - FireWifey January 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Can’t go wrong with a chocolate festival! Although I would have been a bit disappointed with the price too!
Megan – FireWifey recently posted..Reading List

26 Ggirl January 29, 2014 at 1:02 am

Oh wow! The festival looks amazing. I’m glad I got to live vicariously through this post.

27 Megan January 31, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Awe sad to hear this. My friend went last year with high expectations and was also let down by the crazy prices. Their science of food and wine is pretty awesome. I’d be there this weekend but were out of town.
Megan recently posted..It’s time to apply for the 2014 NYC Marathon…#TCSNYCMarathonApply