My First Stitch Fix

by Meghann on January 10, 2014

Yep. I drank the kool-aid.

I signed up for Stitch Fix and you know what? I thought it was pretty awesome.

IMG_2764

Usually I’m not a big fan of monthly subscription programs so I generally scanned and nodded when I saw Stitch Fix pop up in the past. The truth is I tend to be super picky (and frugal!) with clothes. My mom stopped buying clothes for me years ago because she gave up trying to figure out what I liked and I tend to limit my online shopping in the clothes department because I’ve been burned too many times. However, it took a couple of friends really raving about it to convince me to give it ago.

For those of you unfamiliar with Stitch Fix, it’s basically an online personal shopping service where you pay a small fee for a “Fix” or box of clothing/accessories picked out by your personal stylist. It’s not a monthly subscription service as I once believed. I mean, you can turn it into one if you really one to, but there’s also the option of scheduling the “fixes” to arrive whenever you want – you can get a fix once a month, every six months, or when ever you’re in the mood. This really appealed to me because I didn’t want to get locked into a program. I’d try it one and if I didn’t like it, not big deal.

You start by filling out a profile complete with style likes, dislikes, sizing, height, weight, preferences, needs, etc. etc. There’s also a place to connect your Pinterest board for style inspiration. The whole profile takes a good 20-30 minutes to complete. Once the profile is complete you have the option of adding or subtracting information at anytime.

The next step is scheduling your first fix. Each fix has a $20 styling fee, which can be applied to any item of your fix that you decide to purchase later on. The fix also includes 5 items, which can be a mix of tops, bottoms, dresses, and/or accessories. Once you schedule your fix, a stylist will review your profile and create a custom fix just for you. I scheduled my fix for the first week of January, but it arrived a little early on December 23rd.

When I got it, it was like opening an early Christmas present. I had no idea what was inside and couldn’t wait to see.

IMG_2765

I had five items of clothing. Some I liked right away, some not so much.

Also included was a style guide with suggestions on how to style each piece of clothing.

IMG_2768

And a personal note from my stylist.

IMG_2770

My stash:

IMG_2781

• Simmons Bootcut Jean
  • Paltrow Stretch Lace Hi-Lo Peplum Top
  • Natasha Front Pocket Sleeveless Blouse
  • Inna Striped Racerback Maxi Dress
  • Barton Ombre Dyed Cowl Neck Tank

I tried everything on and was surprised it all fit relatively well. The pants were a little long (okay, a lot long <– shorty in the house!), but other than that it was great. The ombre top even surprised me. It’s not a top I would generally pick out for myself, but I didn’t mind how it looked on. I didn’t love it enough to keep it, but it was good to get out of my clothing comfort zone.

I ended up keeping two pieces:

The maxi dress I wore in the Florida Keys (AND LOVED!!!)

And the maroon sleeveless blouse I wore on Christmas day.

The top was so soft, flowy, and super comfortable. I would like one in every color please.

Once you select which items you would like to keep, you “check out” via StichFix to complete your order. They’ll total up your items and subtract the original $20 you spent on the fix. Or if you decide you want everything you save an extra 20% on your final purchase. During the check-out process there’s also a survey where you can share what you liked or didn’t liked on the items. This will help your stylists when they select items in the future. I also went back to my original profile and added even more information on what I’m looking for and updated my Pinterest board with style inspiration.

And then I scheduled my next fix. Obviously.

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 9.57.14 PM

I made a note about needing something really hot for my birthday in February. I’d like to start 29 off looking good!

There’s a pre-addressed and stamped envelope included in the Fix. I placed everything in the envelope and dropped it off at the post office. Easy peasy.

Have you tried Stitch Fix? What did you think?

1 Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 10, 2014 at 8:43 am

It looks like you got some great pieces! I would love to try Stitch Fix, I have seen it everywhere and it looks like it would be perfect for me sense I hardly know how to dress myself! 🙂 Can’t wait to see what you get in February!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Marathon Playlist

2 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona January 10, 2014 at 9:07 am

Do you have to pay the $20 fee even if you decide not to keep anything?
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

3 Angela@ Fit to Inspire January 10, 2014 at 9:21 am

yes, even if you don’t keep anything they still charge you the $20..but if you DO buy something that $20 goes towards it. So last month I kept a bracelet out of mine that I really loved and it was $28 so all I had to pay was another $8
Angela@ Fit to Inspire recently posted..Fun Fact Friday

4 Lea @ Healthy Coconut January 13, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Thanks for this info. I didn’t know about the $20 fee.
Lea @ Healthy Coconut recently posted..scenes from the weekend / 2

5 Angela@ Fit to Inspire January 10, 2014 at 9:21 am

I love stichfix. I’ve been recieving them for a few months and even if I only keep 1 or 2 pieces i’m very happy. The best part that I always rave about is the customer service. When you go on and give your feed back they actually listen to you. Last month they sent me a few shirts that were really unforgiving in the chest and arms, as a crossfitter we need a little more give there lol so I wrote that in my review and this month they wrote that they took into consideration and sent me some sweaters that fit perfect!
Angela@ Fit to Inspire recently posted..Fun Fact Friday

6 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 10, 2014 at 9:23 am

I haven’t tried it yet because it really isn’t in the budget for me..but maybe one day because honestly the though of clothes shopping makes me cringe 🙂
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Five Go To Healthy Smoothie Ingredients

7 Amanda Elizabeth January 10, 2014 at 9:47 am

I have seen this floating around for a little while and it looks like an interesting concept. I love that black and white dress on you!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..The Friday Roundup

8 Kayla @ Fit Life Forward January 10, 2014 at 9:51 am

I’ve wanted to do this! I think that I am going to sign up today. I hate shopping and this is the answer to that. I’m just curious about how expensive are the clothes that are being sent to you? I don’t want to be stuck paying $250 for jeans and never being able to apply my monthly $20 fee to something!
Kayla @ Fit Life Forward recently posted..Random Things I Think About

9 Becca January 10, 2014 at 9:57 am

I’ve done it twice and the clothes are generally $50-$100. From what I remember, for example, some $98 jeans, a $100 jacket, an $80 dress, and a $40 tunic.
Becca recently posted..Road Trip: Mérida, Yucatán

10 Becca January 10, 2014 at 9:55 am

I love Stitch Fix! I’ve only done it twice, when I wanted something special, because the clothes are a lot more expensive than what I would normally pay (I’m super cheap), but the clothes I did keep are comfortable, stylish, and flattering, and I always get compliments on them.
Becca recently posted..Road Trip: Mérida, Yucatán

11 [email protected] January 10, 2014 at 10:12 am

I really wish I could have access to StitchFix. But like Trader Joes, this Canadian has been denied! I’ve really liked the clothes that all my blogger friends have been posting.
[email protected] recently posted..Full Track Workout

12 Amanda January 10, 2014 at 10:13 am

I really like stitch fix! Such a great concept. Super easy to return things and no pressure to buy anything. I love the convenience of it.

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 10, 2014 at 10:35 am

I haven’t tried Stitchfix but did sign up for something similar called Fabletics, which is active wear. More up my alley… 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..5 Tips to Find Your Workout Motivation

14 Amber S. January 10, 2014 at 11:14 am

I keep hearing great things about it. I’m tempted to try it out. I guess my one worry is cost. How affordable are the individual items?

15 Beth January 10, 2014 at 11:21 am

So funny you mentioned that dress b/c I saw it in your Key West pic and though how awesome you looked. It’s a great dress! I am so non-committal about things like this but it may be worth trying once or twice. Thanks for the review!

16 EB @ Running on E January 10, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I’ve been really curious to try Stitch Fix too, but I am super lazy/frugal about shopping! Maybe I will like it more if someone just picks everything out for me. I love the maxi dress. You look great in it!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Fuelin’ Up Friday: Tailwind Nutrition

17 Ashley January 10, 2014 at 12:14 pm

You look so freakin adorable in that dress! Love it.

18 Traci January 10, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I have gotten three Stitch Fix boxes so far, and even though they are a bit on the spendy side for my taste, it’s worth it for me because the items are quality and best of all…I get to avoid the actual act of SHOPPING! There are so many things I’d rather do than hit the mall, so I plan on sticking with Stitch Fix for a while. :]
Traci recently posted..Appreciate Each Moment

19 Amanda B January 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Honestly, if they shipped to Canada, I’d be all over that. It looks like so much fun!

20 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 10, 2014 at 12:52 pm

That dress looks great on you!

I’d love to try Stitch Fix, but it’s not available in Canada — darn! 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

21 Jana January 10, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I’ve seen Stitch Fix everywhere! I think it’s time to try it out!
Jana recently posted..Sick Day and a semi-homemade pizza recipe

22 Stacey McDowell January 10, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I only buy myself something new on special occasions – like birthdays or anniversaries – I hate shopping and I would rather scratch my eyes out than spending $$ on myself, but I think I would be okay with this being my present…thanks for the website!

23 Zaneta January 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm

That sounds like so much fun!! I’ve read a couple blogposts about stitch fix… LOVE the maxi and blouse you kept! Super cute!! 🙂
Zaneta recently posted..Friday Favorites – That Hill is 10.9 out of 5?!

24 Courtney January 10, 2014 at 3:06 pm

i just ordered my first one. you refered me so look for your reward

25 Jessica @ RunYourMuttOff January 10, 2014 at 3:50 pm

You make Stitch Fix look SO tempting! Lots of my favorite bloggers have done it but I haven’t been convinced. So glad it worked for you, both of your keeps are adorable!
Jessica @ RunYourMuttOff recently posted..Throwback Thursday

26 Ashley January 10, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I have been seeing this pop up all over social media, and no one has ever done a detailed explaination like this. Thank you! I am super cheap so maybe for my birthday in February I will try it for something awesome and splurge.
Ashley recently posted..Lets Pin!

27 Kelly January 10, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I tried it for a couple months and I liked it — everyone always commented on liking whatever I was wearing — but I work from home, so I just didn’t need nice clothes on a regular basis. And, somehow, this may have been my fault, I got a lot of jewelry and fancy dresses. They were cool, but it just felt like not worth the money because I had no where to wear the stuff to! What you got would have been way more up my alley, so maybe I filled it out wrong?
Kelly recently posted..There’s Hard and then There’s HARD

28 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust January 10, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I love the surprise element and idea of opening a box every so often that is filled with clothing and suggestions for how to style each piece. I have heard of Stitch Fix, but did not know exactly how it worked. Thank you for the AWESOME detailed description. I am definitely going to look into it. 🙂
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Ice Ice Baby and Travel Updates

29 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust January 13, 2014 at 12:25 am

I signed up and scheduled a fix for February. Can’t wait!
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Lone Survivor, Football, and a Winter Wonderland

30 Danielle @ Long May You RunL January 10, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Whoa… Hayley your stylist needs to lay off the exclamation points.
Danielle @ Long May You RunL recently posted..Another Year’s Journey

31 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner January 10, 2014 at 10:19 pm

So, I know what I’m doing tonight! 😉 Thanks for explaining this better! Can’t wait to try it!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..boredom busters

32 Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life January 11, 2014 at 6:52 am

I loveeeeee the maxi dress!

33 Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork January 11, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I am the same as you: very frugal and incredibly picky! That’s why I haven’t signed up for this yet, but if someone similar to me likes it, then you may have just convinced me!

Do you mind if I ask, one frugal gal to another, what it end up costing you?

Love what you picked! They look really cute on you!

34 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 12, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I’ve tried Stitch Fix three times. The first time went pretty well, but the last two boxes didn’t have anything I liked well enough to justify how expensive everything was! I’ll probably wait awhile before I give it another go.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It Just Got Real

35 Jennifer Alderfer January 12, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I absolutely LOVE Stitch Fix. The more detailed you are, the better. Measurements, being realistic about what you will wear on a daily basis, cuts and colors you like, linking a pinterest page, etc. It all makes a huge difference!

36 Erin @ Loop Looks January 12, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I’ve done it quite a few times (see all my reviews here. It’s hit or miss for me. Sometimes they fit but I must have a strange body shape because usually half the clothing items don’t fit at all.
Erin @ Loop Looks recently posted..Pink and Polka Dots

37 Caitlin January 13, 2014 at 12:34 pm

i didn’t end up liking stitch fix enough to do it again. i didn’t keep any items – either they didn’t fit well or were too pricey even with the $20 off. however i LOVE LOVE LOVE your striped maxi!

38 elle January 15, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I got my first fix today and I am in love! I had read a ton of reviews before signing up and it seemed like the more specific you were about your preferences, the better luck you have (which makes complete sense.) So, I was very detailed in my profile about my body type, and then set up a pinterest board for my stitch fix stylist to review with sample things I loved *and* samples of things I hate! You can also post pictures of yourself to your pinterest board so they can see what you look like and choose things that way.
I loved all 5 things I got. They fit, flattered and were absolutely perfect.
The 5 things (a blazer, jeans, 2 tops and a necklace) were $300 total, then I had my $20 fix credit, and a $70 discount if I kept all 5. So, naturally I kept all 5…

39 Meg January 16, 2014 at 9:31 am

Love the maxi dress — so cute! And the maroon blouse looks really great, too! I just got my first Fix yesterday and am already obsessed. I’m not generally a good shopper, so having clothes come to me was awesome. I only kept one dress, but it took Herculean effort to return two of the other pieces . . . doubt I’ll have that much strength moving forward, especially if everything fits so well! 🙂
Meg recently posted..Shedding that mighty comfort zone with Stitch Fix

40 Peachylau January 18, 2014 at 3:15 am

I like the concept!
Peachylau recently posted..Mental Health Bloggers Widen Their Support Systems on WordPress.com

41 Kelly February 10, 2014 at 9:47 am

I got so excited from lots of bloggers like you talking about it I signed up last week. I have to wait a whole month though to get mine and the suspense is killing me! I’m curious how it will turn out bc I’m so tall so we shall see. You look great fab blog 🙂

Kelly recently posted..Heading to the Barre

42 marilu April 11, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I just received my first box and was disappointed. The stylist ignored my profile. I got clothes and jewelry in price ranges higher than what I picked. I also received clothes in exactly the opposite style than I chose (I chose fitted and received shapeless tent-like tops). I kept nothing but of course they still charge the $20 styling fee. I don’t think it’s fair to charge the fee if they are going to completely ignore your profile!