Return to CrossFit

by Meghann on January 8, 2014

First of all… Go Noles!

1510941_10104036859293463_268957655_n

I’m not going to lie, that game was a nail biter. The first half definitely had me on edge – and wondering where the heck my team had run away to –  but the second half made up for it. More than made up for it in fact. It was probably some of the best football I’ve ever seen played. And I wish my husband had allowed me to record him in those final few minutes of game time. He was in his own little world, yelling and screaming on his feet. When we won he dropped to his knees and cried tears of happiness. I’m pretty sure watching the Seminoles take home the National Championship titles was one of the best days of his life.

noleswin

Of course the game went WAY past my bedtime. I may or may not have taken a teeny nap during the third quarter.

Tuesday morning was rough. I slept through my alarm and woke up about the same time I should have been leaving the house for work. Crap. Luckily, I learned a little secret… Leaving my house 20 minutes later still had me arriving at the office around the same time I would have if I’d left on time. What the heck Tampa traffic? Therefore I am DONE with rush hour traffic and will enjoy my extra 20 minutes of sleep daily. Gotta love those happy accidents!

CrossFit

Guess who returned to CrossFit this morning after the 6 month hiatus?! <– This girl!

You may recall, I took up CrossFit when I was trying to get in shape for my wedding last year. Not only did I get my butt in shape for my wedding dress, but I fell in love with the workouts and my box.

Awe, the good ole days when I had back muscles.

I kept up with CrossFit after the wedding, but eventually had to cut back when I started training for Ironman Florida. Due to my training schedule I dropped from three days a week to just one day a week. Which would have worked out great for the rest of training if it wasn’t for my crazy travel schedule. A crazy travel schedule and crazy training for the Ironman meant something had to go.

Adios, CrossFit! It was fun, but I had too much riding on my Ironman and, well, my job. So I said I would start back up when the Ironman was over.

I finished Ironman Florida the first weekend in November and proceeded to sit on my ass for the next month. It. Was. Glorious. I highly recommend it in fact.

I knew I wanted/needed to start again (I missed having awesome back muscles!), but the further and further I got away from Ironman Florida, the more I realized how nervous I was about walking back into the box. I’d been away for so long, what if all of my friends at the box judged me when I returned? What if I forgot everything I learned and looked like a complete fool? What if I was back to square one with what I could lift?

I was full of excuses and frankly sounded like a whiny baby. I enjoyed CrossFit so much when I was there. Everyone is great and it’s a complete judgment free zone – why the heck was I so nervous? So what if I had to start back at square one. We all have to start somewhere!

Last night I set my alarm for 5:15am and my bedroom was freezing when it went off this morning. All I wanted to do is stay in my bed, did I really need to go? What if I pushed it back one more day. That would be nice.

Nope. I knew I what I had to do. I got my butt out of bed and headed out the door.

As soon as I walked in the box I knew I had no reason to be nervous. Nothing had changed. It was the same gym, same coach, and the same great group of morning CrossFitters.  They were all a bit surprised to see me, but welcomed me back with open arms.

Of course, I was super rusty and definitely out of shape. It’d been so long that I had forgotten where things were and what some of the WOD lingo meant. I ended up asking twenty questions and still ran around like a chicken with her head cut off during the first round of the WOD.  Luckily the coach saw I was confused in the beginning and helped me through it.

1199bd60785c11e3b8660e09ee4ff8a7_8

I also forgot how hard WODs are. We did 5 rounds and I was absolutely dying after two. During the 4th and 5th rounds, I was on the verge of vomiting. I was dying. Hurt. So. Good.

In the end I’m really glad I went. It was just what I needed to kick my CrossFit motivation back in gear. Right now my plan is sink back into my old MWF schedule. Here’s hoping blogging about it will hold me to it!

Have you ever taken a long hiatus from something and struggled getting back into it?

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 8, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Good for you for getting back to it! Sometimes the thought of going back to something you used to be good at is worse than actually returning, you know? 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Back To Reality

2 eb @ Running on E January 8, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Good job of getting back at it! I’ve never tried crossfit, but I really want to. I need to find someone to go with so I can ask 400 questions my first time.
eb @ Running on E recently posted..#RunDonna Marathon Training: 8 weeks to go.

3 Karla @ Foodologie January 8, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I wake up at 5:15am to go to crossfit too! Glad to hear you’re back into it. In November, I went on vacation to Peru for 2 weeks, then with thanksgiving directly after, I was out of crossfit for almost an entire month. Coming back after that was rough. I can’t imagine taking more time off! Great job getting back!
Karla @ Foodologie recently posted..New Years Resolutions or Why I Won’t Be Making Any This Year

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 8, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I was forced to take time off for almost 4 months from running when I got a femoral stress fracture. I am just now getting back into running and while I LOVE it – I am definitely not in the same shape as I want before. I just keep working at it, because I know one of these days I will get better! It is easy to get discouraged because you’ve lost some of your ability, but you will get it back!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Healthy Mexican Quinoa Recipe

5 Megan January 8, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I take unintentional breaks from running when life gets in the way.. Miss a day or two, then a week and before I know it it’s been two-three weeks and I am CRaNKY!

I’m planning on starting crossfit next week. My husband does it bu I’ve never gone claiming it’ll be too hard on my knees, they don’t have childcare, etc. Except the local box does have a kids room where kids can play while parents work out. And I’ll deal with my knees. Going on a 10 yr annivsary cruise in June and I need my belly to be flatter and my legs stronger and to feel better about myself.

6 Sabrina January 8, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I have no nails left and I was on the floor crying too. That was the most emotional game of my life!

I took a long hiatus from writing (not just on my blog) and I really struggled picking up the pen again. I knew I had things I wanted to say, but it took so long for me to find the words again.
Sabrina recently posted..Burn Baby, Burn

7 Katie @ A Full Plate January 8, 2014 at 11:34 pm

I took a hiatus from CrossFit last year….I had gotten sick with pneumonia and took about 2 months off while my body healed. It was really hard going back and it’s surprising how much you have to scale. It kind of sucked but you get over it and eventually you’re back to where you were at! Glad to see your back at it!
Katie @ A Full Plate recently posted..Radio City Christmas Spectacular with The Rockettes

8 [email protected] January 9, 2014 at 5:46 am

masters swimming! Since swimming is second-nature to me (runner at my core), I usually dread my first masters or team swimming workout back. Once I get in the water though I remember how much easier and fun it is to swim with a group!
[email protected] recently posted..WIAW which could also be WIEMD

9 Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life January 9, 2014 at 6:56 am

yay! so happy you started again! (:

10 Angela@ Fit to Inspire January 9, 2014 at 7:40 am

way to get back at it Thats how crossfit is, we don’t care how long you’ve been gone they will welcome you back with open arms like you never left.
Angela@ Fit to Inspire recently posted..What I ate Wednesday

11 [email protected] January 9, 2014 at 7:57 am

can’t wait to hear more about you getting back into cross fit! I’ve always wanted to try it but it’s just not in the budget right now
[email protected] recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Favorite Eats Edition

12 Katie D. January 9, 2014 at 8:01 am

I took a 3 month break from my gym’s combine class (unofficial cross-fit) due to a severe sprained ankle (that happened during class). I was just starting my comeback when I found out I was pregnant! So now I’m out all together. I think I would have kept it up (with modifications) throughout pregnancy if I hadn’t had the break, but I felt like I was starting at square one and stressing my body too much.

13 Mary January 9, 2014 at 8:02 am

I’m getting married in August and currently debating whether or not to try cross-fit. I’ve heard such good things (and there’s no back on my dress! Haha!) but it’s so much money. Is it worth the cost in your opinion? And how much stronger/better did you feel for going? Thanks. 🙂
Mary recently posted..A marathon plan

14 Meghann January 9, 2014 at 9:21 pm

My box offers a BOGO deal for newbies. I think the free month was what sold me. I said I would do the two months and then decide if I wanted to continue. I kept going for 8 more months and was sad when I had to leave it during Ironman training. Yes, it was a lot of money, but it was worth it for how great I felt and how much it got me in shape. There’s no way I would have had the same results strength training on my own.

15 Mary January 10, 2014 at 6:09 am

Ah thank-you! It sounds like it’s definitely worth having another look and seeing if there are any January-newbie sales happening in my area. I want to feel GREAT this year!
Mary recently posted..My baby book

16 Sarahf January 9, 2014 at 8:13 am

How could anyone judge you taking time off to do an Ironman?! It’s so easy to let those thoughts in though, glad you overcame it, but I think I’ll leave you to the early mornings!
Sarahf recently posted..Life according to the pictures on my phone

17 Amanda Elizabeth January 9, 2014 at 8:26 am

Which Crossfit studio are you going to? You should come to one of my classes at Pure Barre in Tampa 🙂
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Sam Villa Textur Texturizing Iron Review

18 [email protected] January 9, 2014 at 8:34 am

That happens to me with cycling! I’m really good about doing it in warmer months but once the temperatures drop I’m to wimpy to cycle outdoors and then when I start again my legs feel so tired and my seat hurts for a few days!!
[email protected] recently posted..Fried Quinoa Recipe

19 ks January 9, 2014 at 9:12 am

I did crossfit for only one month before I got pregnant but I LOVED it! My arms were awesome! I would love to go back but I feel so URGH! Out of it! Good for you for getting back to it. I will keep reading for inspiration, so in other words…Keep GOING! LOL!
ks recently posted..An Organized Mind.

20 Jill January 9, 2014 at 9:19 am

Congrats on the win!! And congrats on getting back to xfit. Its slow goings at first but you will get back to where you were quick and I am sure you will kick butt running and swimming. my box is hosting an event this weekend and 2 of the 5 wods have swimming and people did not sign up because they did not want to swim, so you never know when you will be able to pull that out.

21 Megan January 9, 2014 at 9:25 am

Nice job! Whenever I take even a week off of crossfit, the first day back is SO HARD.

22 Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 9, 2014 at 9:39 am

Congrats on your Noles! I was cheering for them!
And congrats on going back to cross-fit! I took a month of from running this summer (burnt out) and when I started back up it was like I had never ran! 🙂 So hard!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Walt Disney World Resorts

23 Amanda Bordonaro January 9, 2014 at 10:07 am

I took a hiatus from running due to a horrible race experience that kind of killed my passion. I stopped running in August, ran maybe a few times randomly (no more than 3km) until now. I decided to join a half marathon group to keep me motivated. Last night was the first night and it was scary going back, but it felt great and I finally remembered why I love running 🙂

24 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 9, 2014 at 11:19 am

I’m so glad you started back! I fell in love with Crossfit about two months ago, and I just enjoy it so much. The people really are fantastic, and I’m enjoying those back muscles as well. I actually will be starting back today after a mini-hiatus. I’ve been sick all week so I haven’t been since last Saturday. Here’s hoping I’m not sore tomorrow!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Drinking The Kool-Aid

25 Ashley January 9, 2014 at 2:29 pm

My husband and I are going on our delayed honeymoon in a few weeks. I’m worried about what two weeks away will do to my endurance for everything! lol

26 Sarah January 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Welcome back to CrossFit. Crossfit is my favorite, it’s one of the few things I can get out of bed at 5am in the dark when it is 6 degrees outside for. I like running but could never get up early for it.
Any way I am glad you went back I can’t wait to read about your crossfiting adventures. 🙂

27 Betsy January 9, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I agree, Crossfit can be really intimidating. I was a member of a box when I lived in Ohio, but now that I live in Chicago, I can’t afford it. I miss it so much!

28 Katie January 9, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I had to take a break from Barre Class and running when life got in the way a year ago. I’m running again, but as much as I want to go back to Barre Class when life calms down even more in six months, I’m nervous about going back and being judged too, especially since I don’t have as good of an excuse as you do Ms. Ironman!! Good job getting back there. It makes me feel better about going back to Barre Class myself.

29 Runner Girl Eats January 9, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Monday night was absolutely incredible in Tallahassee. My fiance hopped on a table then proceeded to high five every single person at the bar. I am 100% sure it was the best night of his life.
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Going back to college

30 Ali January 9, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I took a long break from triathlon training after my last Ironman in 2011, and getting back into it this year was tough! I struggled a lot in the beginning, but it came back to me much quicker than I thought it would. Stick with it–you’ll be right back to where you were soon!
Ali recently posted..It’s never as bad as you think

31 Becky @ Life Outside The BOX January 13, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I’m sure you’ll be back to your normal WOD-ing self soon!
Becky @ Life Outside The BOX recently posted..Why Women Should Lift Heavy Weight by David Zitnick

32 Molly February 6, 2014 at 12:43 am

Thank you do much for sharing this! I’m going through a very similar thing, having taken 7 months off and being terrified to go back after crossfitting for four years. I’m planning to start back this week! Thanks again!