The Florida Keys

by MealsAndMiles on December 29, 2013

Hello from the Florida Keys!
image

I just wanted to drop in and say “hi!” We’ve been enjoying our anniversary trip and have kept to a steady schedule of relaxing and drinking coladas.

image

Unfortunately the weather hasn’t been the best down here. Lots of nasty clouds and some intermittent showers – not cool. We did luck out our second night when the clouds decided to part for our sunset cruise.

image

The Florida Keys seriously have the best sun sets.
image

Last night we ventured out to the highly recommended Marker 88 restaraunt up the road.
image

We sat outside and enjoyed the slight ocean breeze and amazing laid back island atmosphere.
image

I wish I had better photos. Nothing my phone took could do this place justice. They had rocking tables, gorgeous lights, and the food and drinks were top notch.

Derek and I started with the lobster and mango guacamole,  which was so fresh and very flavorful.  I would never have thought to add lobster to guacamole, but the flavor combination was spot on.
image

For my main dish I had the onion encrusted Maui Maui and baked potato.  I rarely order a baked potato, but it felt right last night.
image

Awful photo, but I promise it was delicious.  The onion flavor wasn’t overpowering and I thought the crust was perfect.

For dessert I had Key Lime pie. Obviously.
image

My plan is to overdose on key lime while I’m here. I can’t get enough!

If you ever stay in Islamorada I can’t recommend Marker 88 enough. It was the perfect place to have our celebratory anniversary dinner.
image

We’re staying in the northern Keys,  but decided to take a day trip to Key West today.
image

It was an additional 2.5 hr drive from our hotel, but totally worth it thanks to the scenic drive. Miles and miles of gorgeous ocean views. I also had flashbacks to when we ran from Miami to Key West for Ragnar Relay. So many wonderful memories were made on this road!
image

We left early and skipped breakfast with the goal of dining with the roosters at Blue Heaven, our favorite spot in all of Key West!
image

They have the best Bloody Mary’s.  Ever.
image

We had a 35 minute wait and scored a table outside with baby chicks just feet away.

image

I ordered the “Rooster Special” with scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, pancakes, and homemade sausage.
image

The sausage had a definite kick to it. So good!
image

We walked  to the southernmost point and tried to guess which road Derek proposed on (it was the finish line of Ragnar Relay and we were both a bit fuzzy on the “exact” location). Eh. There was a pretty dock close enough.  We opted for our “we got engaged here 2 years ago” photo there instead.

See? Pretty. 🙂

Then there were the typical Key West attractions.

image

And when it started to rain?

Duh.

On the way back to our hotel we stop at the seven mile bridge for a couple of cool photos.

image

I wish we had time to walk to Pigeon Key. I stayed there as a kid and even just being on the bridge was a cool walk down memory lane.

Alright time to get back to vacationing. Gotta love killing time on a road trip by blogging – three cheers for smart phones! 🙂

1 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona December 29, 2013 at 6:59 pm

That sunset cruise looks absolutely beautiful!
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..It’s Christmas!

2 Meghan December 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm

So very jealous. And can anyone run over that bridge! The 7 mile one!? That would be a pretty sweet run!
Meghan recently posted..You know…

3 eb @ Running on E December 29, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Ah, shorts! Enjoy your vacation! Looks like a nice relaxing escape. 🙂
eb @ Running on E recently posted..#RunDonna Marathon Training: 9 weeks to go!

4 Elizabeth December 29, 2013 at 8:33 pm

This whole post pulls at my heart strings because my family is from the Florida Keys. Just so ya know though — it’s actually spelled Islamorada not Islamadora (it’s where I’m from!). Obviously not a big deal, just something you might wanna fix 😉 your pics are awesome and it looks like you are having a lovely time!

5 The Many Thoughts of a Reader December 29, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I wanna be there.
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..The Death of Bees Discussion

6 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 29, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Looks like a beautiful place! It has been a long time but I went to Key West about 10 years ago! Enjoy your anniversary trip 🙂
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Recap: 12/23 – 12/29

7 Runner Girl Eats December 29, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Looks like a fun trip. Love your blue dress! Enjoy 🙂
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Confession: I didn’t love it.

8 carol December 30, 2013 at 10:05 am

Ahhhhhh! Memories! My old stompin’ grounds. Enjoy!

9 Katie @ running4cupcakes December 30, 2013 at 10:14 am

Yeah for anniversary trips. Looks like despite the weather, you are making the most of it!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 12/29/13

10 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner December 30, 2013 at 10:34 am

It’s -17 degrees in Wisconsin today. (No, that’s NOT counting wind chill). I’m jealous. Hope you have a fabulous time!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Liberties with Shrimp & Grits

11 Amanda Elizabeth December 30, 2013 at 11:21 am

I love the keys! It looks like you hit all the spots on my to do list! Blue Heaven is the best! Their lobster eggs benedict and bloody mary’s….I still have my Kinos from my trip like 4 years ago! Looks like a fabulous trip!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Pinterest Interpretation of New Year’s Eve

12 kelly @ racesrepsramblings December 30, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Hooray!! Looks like such a fun anniversary trip! All your pictures make me so excited – I’m going to Key West for my honeymoon in a few weeks. I’ve never been and it looks like the perfect vacation spot. Congrats on your anniversary and have fun 🙂
kelly @ racesrepsramblings recently posted..Happy Holidays!

13 Stephanie December 30, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Ive been following your blog for a long time. My husband and I are heading to key west in two weeks for our anniversary and I am running the Key west half marathon. both of us have never been!!!I was wondering if you could email me some of the cool places for us to try. I put blue heaven on the list already! Your pics are great, cant wait to get down there.

14 Sarah December 30, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Maui is an island in Hawaii. Mahi Mahi is a kind of fish. I’m guessing you had the Mahi Mahi for dinner… and probably a few more of those yummy looking frozen drinks 😉

Looks like a fun and relaxing trip, happy anniversary!

15 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com December 30, 2013 at 3:17 pm

looks like a great time
sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Master Bathroom Plans

16 Courtney December 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Love it! That lobster guacamole looks AMAZING.
We spent our honeymoon in Key West and while I got a lot of rude “uh..Florida?” comments when we told people we honeymooning there, I’m so glad we chose a place that is so easy to escape to. We can relive our honeymoon whenever we please! Plus sun, sand and alcohol.. what more do you need?
..Great, now I’m hankering conch fritters 😉

17 Sarahf December 31, 2013 at 12:06 am

I’ve never been to Florida, but I’ve heard the Keys are beautiful, after your pictures, it’s now really on my list of places I need to visit, if only for the guacamole and lobster, sounds so good!
Sarahf recently posted..Highlights of 2013: Running