Happy Christmas

by MealsAndMiles on December 26, 2013

Happy Day After Christmas!

I guess I could also say Happy Boxing Day.

We just drove by the local outlet mall and the traffic backed all the way out to the interstate.  I’m glad I’m not out trying to shop today.

How was everyone’s Christmas?  Ours was a little more low key this year, which was a nice change.

We spent Christmas Eve day with my dad’s family in Orlando.
image

The weather was horrible. 65 degrees with a bright sun and blue skies.  Absolutely disgusting.

That night we opted for the ultra casual look when looking at Christmas lights.
image

I’m so bummed the guy’s finger got in the way when he took our photo. It was almost perfect!

My great uncle lives in a great neighborhood that goes all out with Christmas lights and luminaries every year. The traffic through the neighborhood moves at a snail’s pace and a lot of makeshift hay rides were being offered in trailers and the back of pick-ups. We also saw at least a half a dozen neighbors with fire pits set up in their front yards and mini parties going on.

However, none of the other houses even come close to how awesome my uncle’s house is. He starts decorating in October and is known around town as THE house to see.

image

All I had was my camera phone so these photos don’t even begin to do it justice.

image

I’m pretty sure he wins for highest electric bill in Titusville every December….just a guess.

Oh, and those awesome shirts we’re all wearing? My mom has family Christmas shirts made every year. This year’s theme is in line with our ever expanding family.
image

I think she ordered 40+ shirts! We all wore them with our Christmas jammies.
image

We fell asleep watching Christmas movies and were up super early to open presents. We may be approaching 30 but that doesn’t stop us from jumping out of bed at 6am to see if Santa came.

Santa was extra generous this year. I’m now fully stocked on enough new underwear and socks to last the year. I even got a shiny new suitcase to put it all in. :)

Derek and I packed up Christmas morning and headed back across the state to spend the rest of the day with his side of the family.
image

Sadly I discovered I must not have been completely on Santa’s good list this year. Looks like I got coal while I was away.

Bah humbug.

That’s the 5th time I’ve been summoned since I was 18. What gives?

Anyway, Derek and I have one last gift to exchange this year – an anniversary trip! We’re on our way to the Keys to celebrate a year of wedded bliss. Its our first vacation together since our honeymoon,  I think we’re more than ready for it.

See you in a week! It’s vacation time!

1 Anna December 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm

So jealous that you are going to the Keys! My hubby and I had our honeymoon there this year….only three years after we got married though.
Enjoy the vacation and congrats on one year of marriage!

2 Jelena@ThoseLittleThings December 26, 2013 at 3:04 pm

The house of your uncle looks amazing! I can imagine how many hours of work he invested in it!
Jelena@ThoseLittleThings recently posted..Two Christmas trees

3 Steffi December 26, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Wow! Laaksos? Finns in the fam? Or Finnish-descendants? I’m from the tiny Scandinavian country myself, always cool to spot familiar names :)

Merry Christmas Meghann!

4 MealsAndMiles December 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Yep, my great-great grandparents came through Ellis Island from Finland. I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t family with the name.

5 Liana@RunToMunch December 26, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Im so jealous that you guys are all outside and not remotely cold! burrrrrrrr!
Liana@RunToMunch recently posted..Weekly Recap – RnR Nola Training

6 meghan @ little girl in the big world December 26, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Enjoy your vacation Meghann! Glad you had such a wonderful Christmas.
meghan @ little girl in the big world recently posted..Merry Christmas!

7 Kathy December 26, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Awesome shirts, bummer on the summons ( I don’t know any one who has ever had jury duty), and Hip Hip Hooray for Anniversary Vacations! Have a great time!

8 Runner Girl Eats December 26, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Have fun in the keys!!!! I love your uncles lights. So festive!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Christmas recap in three words

9 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 26, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Awww enjoy your trip!! Love those shirts they are so creative!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Scenes from Christmas

10 Becky @ RunFunDone December 27, 2013 at 12:45 am

Have you been calling them “Christmas Jammies” ever since that youtube video came out? I used to call them “Christmas bajamas,” but ever since I saw that video, I’ve referred to them as “Christmas jammies.”
Becky @ RunFunDone recently posted..The Butcher, the Baker, the Furniture Maker!

11 PeachyLau December 27, 2013 at 4:29 am

Your uncles house looks amaaaaaaazing!
PeachyLau recently posted..(Ugly) Nails of the week #6

12 Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 27, 2013 at 9:02 am

Sounds like a very awesome Christmas! I love how your Mom does those shirts that is such a great idea! Have a wonderful vacation in the Keys!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Posts From the Past, Present and Future

13 Sheena @ Paws and Pavement December 27, 2013 at 9:55 am

The Christmas lights look great! We drove around this year with my fiancés parents and were sadly disappointed. All the “good” neighborhoods had barely any lights so that was such a bummer. It is one of my favorite Christmas traditions too.

Have fun in the Keys!

14 EB @ Running on E December 27, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Sorry your Christmas weather was so horrible. Hopefully a trip to the keys will make up for it!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..#RunDonna Marathon Training Week #10 Recap

15 Heathers Looking Glass December 28, 2013 at 9:36 am

Boo for Jury Duty! I have only been summoned once and I was in college in another state so I was able to get out of it. Hope you are having fun on your trip!
Heathers Looking Glass recently posted..Christmas 2013 in Pictures

16 Erica December 28, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I just got jury duty too!!! Luckily, all of the cases settled and we were dismissed. I love love love your shirts. I have an Uncle that lives in titusville! Hope you have an amazing time on your trip

17 Annette @FitnessPerks December 28, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Wow. those lights are intense!

Have fun on your trip!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Christmas Eve 2013 Recap

18 Steph December 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Awesome! Have a great time in the Keys! My favorite place in FL! :)
Steph recently posted..2014 Goals and a year’s worth of progress

19 Caroline December 29, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Wait…that house is AWESOME! As are the family pjs – so jealous!
Caroline recently posted..Couscous with Roasted Tomatoes and Spinach