Almost Christmas Time

by Meghann on December 23, 2013

It’s that time again….

That time when we realize Christmas is just two days away and we can’t figure out where the month of December went. Seriously…. where did it go?

Derek and I packed up the car today and drove across the state to my parents’ house to celebrate Christmas Eve with my side of the family. Now that I’m here, it’s starting to sink in a little that Christmas is so close.

67b41ed26c2911e3873c0e9928917b41_8.jpg

Did I tell you our tree bit the dust? We followed all of the instructions, but our little tree started giving out about a week after we bought it. Boo. That won’t stop us from buying another real tree next year. We just won’t buy from that particular spot again.

At least we have my mom’s tree to admire.

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

Keeping with family tradition, my mom, sister, and I spent the afternoon baking cookies.

No comment on the sugar cookies.

Remember kids, always double check you pressed start on the timer before turning around. Always.

Sigh.

Professional cookie decorators we are not, but I can promise they didn’t taste any less delicious this way.

My dad made stuffed peppers and cabbage for dinner. It’s something I always fail at making at home, but he nails it every time. Everything was delicious.

And the night was capped off with my favorite Christmas dessert.

IMG_2706.jpg

I do not trust myself buying this stuff at home (I could easily drink the whole half gallon on my own), so I always wait and indulge at my parents house. It was egg nog perfection.

Time to sit back and soak it all in – Christmas is almost here!

Yep. Still can’t believe it. 🙂

1 Amy @ Run Write Hike December 23, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Merry Christmas! I only drink eggnog when it is provided, not when I have it available to myself 🙂 Sorry your tree did not survive. I would say go cut it down yourself (we always did that as a kid), but I imagine FL doesn’t really have Christmas tree farms!
Amy @ Run Write Hike recently posted..The Year in Photos

2 Angela December 23, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I’m going to guess the snowflake wrapped presents are from you and Derek?

3 Caroline December 23, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Somehow I’m guessing the trees don’t really like warm Florida weather, huh? Ah well. They’re always fun while they last 🙂 We always have a cookie decorating party with friends/family, too – so much fun!
Caroline recently posted..Granola – A Great Gift

4 Jen December 23, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Your photos are beautiful!
Jen recently posted..Oh, Christmas!

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 24, 2013 at 12:07 am

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! I hope you all have a wonderful visit!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Mizuno Wave Rider 17 Review

6 [email protected] is Sweet December 24, 2013 at 12:45 am

I got my tree at Whole Foods-it was a good price and by far the freshest tree I’ve gotten!
[email protected] is Sweet recently posted..MIMM-Celebrating the Holidays

7 Mary December 24, 2013 at 2:28 am

Your parent’s tree and fireplace is like something from a movie! It looks so magical! And I love your brightly coloured biscuits. 🙂 Merry Christmas.
Mary recently posted..A yorkshire wedding and a new house?

8 Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 24, 2013 at 8:03 am

Merry Christmas! I can’t believe it either! It looks like you are having a wonderful time celebrating so far though!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Posts From the Past, Present and Future

9 Kathy December 24, 2013 at 8:18 am

YUM!! Everything looks great….and great thing about sugar cookies with burnt edges??? They just get more frosting to hide the evidence! 😉

10 carol December 24, 2013 at 8:36 am

Merry Christmas to you and your family from a faithful, but silent, reader.

11 EB @ Running on E December 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

Happy Holidays to you and your family! The tree looks beautiful with all the coordinated packages! 🙂
EB @ Running on E recently posted..#RunDonna Marathon Training Week #10 Recap

12 Emma @ Stripes and Snapshots December 24, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Merry Christmas Meghann!
Emma @ Stripes and Snapshots recently posted..Recipe | Mum’s eggy bread

13 Sarahf December 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Merry Christmas from Japan! Your parents tree is amazing!
Sarahf recently posted..Merry Christmas!

14 Breanna S December 25, 2013 at 4:56 pm

After several years of not so good luck keeping our Christmas tree alive we got a tip to drill several holes into the tree trunk from the bottom to help water move up into the trunk and be absorbed. We tried it the next year and never looked back. It worked great and we never had a dry tree again. Your Christmas looks lovely.

15 Reenie December 26, 2013 at 10:37 am