Running

by Meghann on December 17, 2013

Yep, I’m still running… sort of. I think I topped off at 16 miles last week. Whoop dee doo.

I met up with the XP gang for my first training run with them since my Ironman. I’m not the only one who’s been on a break. The rest of the crew competed in Rev3 the week after I did Ironman Florida and have been enjoying some down time as well.

I was told it would be an easy 5K to ease us back into training. Lies! All lies! I could barely keep the warm-up pace, then was tortured with sprints up a parking garage before doing fast accelerations on the way back to the house. It’s amazing how quickly our bodies go out of shape. Everything burned and I’m pretty sure I’ll be sore tomorrow. Ouch. Hurt so good, right?

With that being said, I’m officially registered for three half marathon in the next few months, so at least I have a little motivation to pick up the pace and keep going back. I’m even considering working on a plan to go sub: 1:50 at at least one of them (I know I currently don’t have it in me to try for a sub 1:45 PR right now).

BestDamnRace.jpg

Best Damn Race:

What can I say? I ran it last year and had a blast. Plus, it’s a smaller local race run by a friend (err.. a friend’s significant other) and I’m a fan of supporting local races.

Best Damn Race upped the game this year by offering a double challenge (you know me – I LOVE a good challenge!). So not only am I registered for the Safety Harbor race on February 1st, but I’m also registered for the Orlando race on March 1st.

DOubleMedal.jpg

If you’re still waiting to register for Best Damn Race, use the code MEALSMEG for $5 OFF either race. (code is good for Safety Harbor till 12/31 or sold out, and Orlando until 1/31).

Gasparilla:

Gasparilla2014.png

Speaking of local races, Gasparilla is another favorite.

I’m running this one with a group of co-workers (aka there’s been a lot of smack talk around the office on who’s going to cross the finish line first). A lot of my co-workers are super speedy, so I doubt I’m going to win any office pools, but it’s still fun to partake in the back and forth.

I’m hoping I can go sub 1:50 on this one (I ran 1:48 the last year I ran in 2012, but I was also in really great running shape when I did that). This will be my 4th Gasparilla (see: 2009, 2010, 2012), which will also make it the race I’ve ran the most amount of times.

So that’s what I have on tap so far for 2014. I’m sure more races will pop up (after all, I am a race junkie), but we’ve all gotta start some where. 🙂
Do you have you race schedule set for 2014? What are you running?

1 MissPinkKate December 17, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I’m going to do 9+1 with NYRR in 2014 so I can do the marathon in 2015! First up- a 4M in early February and a 5k in early March. They haven’t posted the rest of the year’s calendar yet; hope they will soon so I can plan!

2 eb @ Running on E December 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I’ve heard Gasparilla is lots of fun!

I just signed up for the 26.2 with Donna full, so I’m on a mission to get back in shape. Also, the Georgia Publix half in March.
eb @ Running on E recently posted..Developing a 10 week Marathon Training program

3 Alyssa Herold December 17, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I just registered for Gasparilla with my best friend, who got me hooked on running a few years ago. Neither of us have run the race (we are both from Austin, TX and she recently moved to Tampa). Have any suggestions or strategy for the race and enjoying race weekend to the fullest extent? Also, I’m wanting to find tank tops with a good pirate screen print for us to wear and haven’t had much luck. Any suggestions? Do a lot of people dress up for the race?

4 Meghann December 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Yes, a lot of people dress up for the race. I would suggest going to the Gasparilla Parade where the pirates invade Tampa in the beginning of the month. A lot of the shops fill with Pirate themed stuff then. The race also has a great expo which is worth checking out. THe course gets REALLY crowded in the beginning, so take advantage of a seeded spot if you qualify for it, or just show up to the race early to secure a spot closer to the starting line. Have fun!

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 17, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Since I am still coming back from injury I haven’t scheduled any for 2014 yet, BUT I plan on scheduling many races next year! I have a really good feeling about 2014 – I need to move on from 2013 🙂
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Sun-Dried Tomato and Olive Pasta Salad

6 Molly Rose December 17, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I’m running the Naples Half in January! This will be my first half ahhhh!
Molly Rose recently posted..Half Marathon Training: Part 1

7 Anna December 17, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I’m thinking 2014 is the year of the marathon for me. Thinking about running the Little Rock Marathon.

8 Becky @ RunFunDone December 18, 2013 at 12:49 am

I’ve got a half in March, and a full in September…which I registered for this week. So, of course, I also got injured this week. Things are going well.
Becky @ RunFunDone recently posted..Lazy vs. Champion…who will win?

9 Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 18, 2013 at 7:53 am

Both of those races sound like so much fun! I love challenges at races as well! So far for 2014 I have a marathon at the start of January and then I have nothing ha. I am thinking about doing more tri’s this summer and some 1/2’s as well. But I have to get on that!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..GIVEAWAY for Blue Nile!!

10 Megan December 18, 2013 at 9:00 am

Ahh i want to do the Gasparilla race! Well maybe the 5k since I can’t run a half marathon! I got engaged at gasparilla last year (well the night before)… I would love to go back!

11 Angie December 18, 2013 at 9:07 am

I am DEFINITELY doing Gasparilla this year…but I am going to try the 5+3k as they call it. I have done the 5k every year for the last 4 (0r maybe 5) years. I promised myself that I would challenge my running this year and go for longer distances! I am already at 5 mi for my long run…on the coat tails of 6. This is HUGE for me!! I am looking forward to a great 2014 running experience!!

I know in the sea of GAZILLIONS I won’t see you, but it would be great to meet you!!

12 Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas December 18, 2013 at 9:09 am

I have the Krispy Kreme Challenge in February (run 2.5 miles, try to eat 12 doughnuts, run 2.5 miles back in under 1 hour), Tar Heel 10 Miler, and Ironman Raleigh 70.3. Can’t wait!
Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas recently posted..Perfect Sunday

13 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian December 18, 2013 at 9:21 am

I hear ya girl. I capped out at 15 miles last week too. I’m about 2 months post-marathon and I finally feel recovered, but I’m taking December to just do easy miles and enjoy running for running’s sake. I have my eyes set on setting a new half pr in 2014. I want a sub-2 hour so bad! I ran a 2:00:02 last fall. So close!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..My Year in Running: 2013

14 Beth December 18, 2013 at 9:22 am

Yay BDR! I’ll see you at both. Not sure if I’m racing or volunteering. Glad you’re all back at it! I wonder when I get my break? D’oh! 🙂
Beth recently posted..Mt Dora Half Marathon Race Report

15 [email protected] December 18, 2013 at 9:27 am
16 Katie December 18, 2013 at 10:07 am

I’m not signed up for anything yet…but my goal is to try a triathlon! I was thinking the other day…any chance we could see what a typical day is like for you now that you’re not training?
Katie recently posted..Focusing on 2014.

17 Amanda Elizabeth December 18, 2013 at 11:28 am

I love the Gasparilla runs. The medals are my absolute fav!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..The Best Songs of 2013

18 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 18, 2013 at 11:42 am

I actually have two half-marathons scheduled in a few months. They’ll be my first ever!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..How’s It Going? My Half-Training Thus Far

19 Sarah December 18, 2013 at 11:45 am

I’ll be running the tinkerbell half next month! 3rd Disney race but first in Disneyland! I’m also registered for the love run a new half in Philly and possibly the Rutgers unite half which was the scene of my half marathon current PR from last April!! Hooray for races!!!!
Sarah recently posted..Live the width

20 sara December 18, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I’m aiming for a half PR too! Last year I trained my hiney off for a marathon- doing bodypump, kickboxing, step and huge amounts of miles every saturday with a running group. I did the marathon, and then decided to use that training and do a half too- I ended up running it in 1:35!!!! So exciting. The problem is, since then- Ive done nothing and gained 15 pounds…sad! Jut registered for another marathon in may, and the best damn race. My hopes are to get back in fighting shape over these next few months!!! Sometimes I get dicouraged of how in shape I used to be though…..:(

21 Casey @ stayingonpace December 18, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I agree that signing up for races definitely helps with training motivation. I am signed up for a couple races so far, including my first half marathon!
Casey @ stayingonpace recently posted..6 Treadmill Running Tips

22 Ashley December 18, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I haven’t even started planning my 2014 race plans yet — I need to get on that! Current top runners, without too much thought, are Chicago or Steamboat Springs though 🙂

23 Laura P December 18, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I signed up for a winter series here in Denver, 10K in December, done and only 2 minutes outside my goal. Jan and Feb are 10 milers. I was a bit ambitious signing up for these. I have a half marathon scheduled in May and then my first ever marathon in Oct. I may squeeze in a half in Phoenix w/ my SIL in March. That’s a lot of running for me.

24 Katie December 18, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I love a good challenge too! I’m signed up for Tinkerbell at Disneyland and the Glass Slipper Challenge (Enchanted 10K + Princess Half marathon) at Disneyworld. I’ll be able to get my Coast-to-Coast medal like you! Super excited!

I also really want to sign up for the Silverman 70.3 because it’s a couple days before my big 3-0, but I need to break the training news to my boyfriend first…

25 Jodi December 19, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I am really impressed by your mobile page. It is the best I have seen so far.

26 Courtney December 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I was about to say “I don’t have a lot planned for 2014”, but then realized that Tinkerbell Half, Glass Slipper Challenge, Garmin Marathon (hoping to BQ) and then Berlin Marathon are probably considered a lot 🙂 But, man!, not having the commitment for IM training just makes me feel so free! 🙂 I’ve been the laziest bum since IMAZ in Nov and totally loving it!.. but also starting to feel the itch for a structured training plan!