Keeping it Casual

by Meghann on December 15, 2013

Happy Sunday!

Did everyone have a great weekend? We kept it pretty casual around here, which is exactly what I needed.

Friday night Derek and I saw Delivery Man.

Delivery_Man_Poster.jpg

To be honest, I haven’t been the biggest fan of Vince Vaughn lately. He tends to play the same rambling idiot in all of his roles, which can quickly go from being hilarious to just plain annoying. I didn’t have the highest hopes for this movie, but if you go into it with super low expectations, you’re less likely to be disappointed with the outcome.

Luckily, I wasn’t disappointed here. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised with how great the movie was. Yes, there were times where I just wanted to tell Vince Vaughn to shut the heck up and get over himself, but the rest of the cast did a great job pulling the movie together and creating a really sweet story that actually had be rooting for Vince in the end.

If you’re looking for a sweet movie this holiday season that will simply make you laugh, I highly recommend seeing Delivery Man. I give it two thumbs up!

Saturday I ran my longest distance since the Wine & Dine Half in November… a whooping 5 miles! Can you tell I’m still fighting my way through my post-Ironman slump? I need some motivation, stat!

After my run, I got to work in the kitchen creating so Dark Chocolate Nutty Clusters for Meghan’s cookie exchange.

00a4b84464e211e3bd450e9d6b8222c0_8.jpg

I wanted to do something Gluten Free and, after perusing Pinterest for ideas, decided to keep it simple. All I did was melt dark chocolate chips and pour some on top of a pile of peanuts and cashews. Easy peasy.

The party was a blast. So many delicious cookies were shared and enjoyed.

20131214_151524.jpg

I’m officially stocked on cookies for the rest of the season. 😉

20131214_173348.jpg

Thank you, Meghan, for hosting!

57013b90650f11e3a49f12c4ee39cdfd_8.jpg

PetCo had Santa photos for pets on Saturday.

2af0b29664ed11e3a188123ae371c52b_8.jpg

I was nervous taking Maddie. The last time I brought her to see Santa didn’t go so great. She refused to go on his lap and I ended up holding her for the photo. I assumed the same thing would happen this time, but still wanted to try.

She was a complete angel from the moment we walked in the door. She made friends with the other dogs while waiting in line and never barked. When it was her turn to get on Santa’s lap, she was a little shaky, but overall pretty happy. The Santa was great at soothing her and keeping her calm.

22df016c64f111e384a0124609a1fc77_8.jpg

She even gave us a smile.

It was going so good, that Derek and I stepped in to get a family shot.

7f4eee6264f111e38f7d12980a7714c4_8.jpg

Merry Christmas from the Anderson-Russells!

Derek and I ate at Burger 21 for dinner. I tried the “Black and Bleu Wedge Salad.”

20131214_193441.jpg

I loved the twist on the classic wedge salad with the addition of the slider patties. Very delicious.

We spent the rest of the night checking out holiday lights.

27e39e34652811e3937912a419d7799c_8.jpg

I googled “Holiday Lights in Tampa” and found THIS PAGE with a great list of recommendations on where to see light. We went to Hyaleah Road, which is a narrow road near Busch Gardens. The street was filled with lights and even had neighbors handing out candy canes to all of the cars driving through. It was really sweet.

Sunday I slept in, then finally got around to doing all the wrapping I kept pushing off.

20131215_174907.jpg

I had DVRed a marathon of Full House and Friends Christmas episodes on Nick at Nite last night, which provided the perfect wrapping entertainment.

Finally, Derek and I took Maddie to the newly renovated dog park on Davis Island.

e2086b1c65d911e38674129e5825c438_8.jpg

The renovations were minimal, but noticeable. They expanded the beach, put in a new water fountain, and re-did the landscape. Overall, we’re happy with the changes and can’t wait to bring Maddie back in the future.

What did you do this weekend?

1 meghan @ little girl in the big world December 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm

You had a great weekend! Glad you could come to the cookie exchange! I had fun with the smaller group. I want to go driving around for lights this year. We did it last year on a street in Clearwater and it was cool. And I’m jealous you had Burger 21. I love that place and we haven’t been in a while. My favorite is the Cinco Burger.
meghan @ little girl in the big world recently posted..Five on Friday

2 Becky @ Olives n Wine December 15, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I love the Santa photo of the fam! It’s adorable. And the cookie party looks like it was amazing. If you need help eating any of those, feel free to send ’em my way 😉
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Tiger fingers, playin’ tough, a Christmas miracle and a birthday party!

3 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs December 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Love Maddie’s Santa picture 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Links

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 15, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I love going and looking at Christmas lights in fact that is just what my husband and I are going to do one night this week! Even thinking about bringing the dog in the car with us 🙂 Well …that will depend on if this snow EVER lets up!

Looks like you had a great weekend!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Recap: 12/9 – 12/15

5 polly December 15, 2013 at 10:52 pm

hi there! This is Polly remember me from yoga is yummy? anyways, i love your blog and pop in and congrats on your iron man!!! wooo! and you and Derek seems so happy i just love it! and your hair… gotta tell you it’s adorbs. seriously. CUTE!

We are all well in my family and wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas! Hope 2014 is blessed to the rim! Love and hugs! XOXO 🙂

Polly

p.s. I also love when you go to Disney.. gives me ideas of where to eat when we visit Orlando! My mom and dad have a condo there and we go twice a year. Love that city!

6 Tracy December 15, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Your scarf looks adorable on you 🙂 Where did you get it from? And I’m seeing
Delivery Man this week- it looks cute 🙂

7 erin December 16, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I was thinking the same thing about the scarf!! 🙂 Where did you get it at? I love it!

8 Christine @ BookishlyB December 15, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Full House Christmas specials! Oh man. I remember the one where some of them were trapped in a gas station (I think) one year. Total nostalgia! I have all the Friend’s seasons on DVD- I should watch a few of the Christmas ones.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Weekend Update

9 Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 16, 2013 at 8:40 am

Jammed packed weekend! Sounds like you had a blast though! I love the photos with Santa that is just so cute! This weekend I was traveling for a graduation and some fun holiday parties!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Legs and Abs Workout

10 EB @ Running on E December 16, 2013 at 10:09 am

Great job Maddie! Awesome family pic! My monster is too big to sit on Santa’s lap, so we always end up with awkward photos with santa leaning over the dog as she looks skeptically at him.

I’m jealous you are already wrapping! I haven’t finished shopping!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..My year of running 2013

11 Amanda Elizabeth December 16, 2013 at 10:52 am

Thanks for the heads up on the Tampa Christmas Lights! I will definitely be taking a spin down that road 🙂 Those Santa pictures are adorable! It is so neat to see how patient those Santas are with the doggies. I had a similar experience with a melt down puppy in college at the PetCo in Gainesville….those pictures of our college dog Layla with the Santa trying to wrangle her in for a picture were priceless.
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..I Didn’t Freeze to Death but JetBlue Cancelled Our Flight Home

12 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 16, 2013 at 12:21 pm

What a cute family picture! I actually really liked The Delivery Man as well. It was just a sweet story, and I really enjoyed watching it.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..For The Backpacker In Your Life

13 Kathy December 16, 2013 at 3:34 pm

fun weekend….you all looked so nice dressed up for the cookie exchange. I honestly can’t remember the last time I REALLY GOT DRESSED up. I guess that means we haven’t gone any where too fancy lately. (And I am so OK with that. 😉

14 Lesley December 16, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Love the photo, Maddie looks so happy. This weekend was also low key, but a group of us went to see the Hobbit.
Lesley recently posted..Random Sunday Musings 12/15

15 Runner Girl Eats December 16, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Ha I wish I had DVR just to DVR all the great Christmas tv show episodes. Such a genius idea 🙂
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..7 miles on the wrong foot

16 Katie @ Balanced RD December 16, 2013 at 5:20 pm

That looks like a great weekend! I love the pictures with Santa. I had a very low key weekend as well…lots of movie watching, Christmas decorating and household chores!

17 megan December 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I love that photo of Maddie! So sweet 🙂

18 Sarah December 18, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Relaxing weekends are so necessary sometimes! I think you’re allowed to be in a slump after completing an iron man!!!! I usually fall into a slump as soon as I’m not training for something! So I basically try to always be training 😉
Sarah recently posted..Live the width