Run Transcend

by Meghann on December 13, 2013

While I was in San Diego last week I got a text from my husband stating, “There’s a huge a$$ box for you.”

He wasn’t kidding. The box could easily be repurposed into a new ottoman.

I told him to open it and I believe the conversation went something like this, “It’s a toy… no, it’s a spaceship…. wait, it’s a shoe box? Babe, I need to send you a video of this.”

Yep, the spaceship was a shoebox! It was sent as part of Brooks’ marketing campaign introducing their new Transcend shoe.

Can you imagine being part of the brainstorming shoe that led to a spaceship shoebox?

“Hey team, we have an unlimited budget.. let’s get crazy! A shoebox from the future that plays a video, lights up, and opens automatically? Hellz yeah! Let’s get on it!”

Remember the giant chocolate egg they sent last year introducing the PureProject Drift shoe? Awesome.

Before the spaceship opened, it played a video introducing the Transcend as a shoe from the future. He traveled through time to deliver the shoe and the technology used to create it. So thoughtful of him.

Then, on the back was the thruster that you turn to actually open the box.

Ta da! The shoes of the future!

Pretty, aren’t they? I love the bright colors.. definitely eye catching.

The Transcend is more of a traditional support shoe and features five key technologies that work together to provide its unique ride:

1. Super DNA – this advanced cushioning material provides the ultimate smooth ride that smartly adapts to your every stride.

2. Guide Rails – specialized plates built into the midsole revolutionize traditional stability by allowing your hips, knees and joints to move along their unique motion path while you run – all without any traditional posts.

3. Ideal Pressure Zones – transform the traditional idea of comfort by minimizing localized pressure evenly in the heel, midfoot and forefoot.

4. Ideal Heel – aligns your stride naturally and easily.

5. Plush upper – a combination of premium materials con

See? Minimalist shoes can’t have all the fun. Supportive shoes can rock, too!

I’ll report back on the shoes after I take them for a spin and let you know what I think! Transcend officially hits shoes stores February 1st!

Divergent

I finished Divergent yesterday and, honestly, it didn’t “wow” me as much I was hoping it would. It was a good book, but I didn’t find myself unable-to-put-it-down as I had been with Hunger Games. The only part I was really hooked on was the climax of the book near the end. For a relatively quick read, I felt like it was really dragging during some parts. I also felt the love story was a little forced between Trice and Four. Maybe the love story picks up some steam in the rest of the series because I felt Tris would be better discovering herself without a man in her life.

However, I still plan to see the movie and will continue to read the remaining stories in the series. Here’s hoping the story picks up!

1 Christine @ BookishlyB December 13, 2013 at 7:39 pm

On one hand the packaging of the shoe is super cool, and I get that companies have to spend money to make money. But part of me, going back to the whole “nostalgic” aspect of fitness that you hit on in another recent post, things the gimmicks surrounding fitness these days are a little sad. Let’s just put on shoes and go…
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

2 Christine @ BookishlyB December 13, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Oops- not you, another blogger, talked about nostalgia. But anyway, same point- knee socks and Nikes and all that jazz.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

3 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep December 14, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Completely agree. Running isn’t supposed to be a “fancy” sport with all of these advertising gimmicks.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Guest Post: How to Know When It’s Time to Break Up

4 Allyson December 13, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I showed my husband this post, he’s also a Brooks athlete. He wants to know what’s so “special” about you to receive these shoes. We started a running club, run 3hr marathons, 10hr ironmans and def don’t get this kind of treatment from them.

He’s been a Brooks athlete since 2008.

5 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner December 14, 2013 at 9:45 am

That’s probably something you should take up with Brooks and not Meghann personally.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Holiday Noshes

6 Jen December 13, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I kind of agree with you about Divergent. Honestly, as the story progressed, the political side of it wasn’t any more interesting than the love story. Hunger Games was definitely more absorbing.
Jen recently posted..Five Things Friday

7 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 13, 2013 at 9:05 pm

What a box! I am always amazed at Brooks’ set ups at the big marathons! They are always over the top out outrageous! Look forward to hearing what you think about the shoes!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Five Things Friday – 12/13/2013

8 Colleen December 13, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Nothing against you personally, but the waste on marketing for just a pair of sneakers is plain ridiculous.

9 Morgan December 13, 2013 at 10:49 pm

And there are people starving all over the globe this Christmas … what a ridiculous waste.

10 Kim December 14, 2013 at 9:03 am

I’m a big fan of the Divergent series! Currently reading Allegiant and can’t wait for the first movie to come out. Just a heads up, the main character’s name is Tris, not Trice.

11 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner December 14, 2013 at 9:47 am

The spaceship box is definitely cool. Now if they could get to work on a transporter, that would be great. 🙂

I’m rereading Divergent and Insurgent so I can get to the third book. I completely forgot everything that happened, so I guess the plot didn’t stick with me as well as it should have. I still like the idea behind it and thought it was an easy ‘futuristic’ read.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Holiday Noshes

12 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs December 14, 2013 at 10:34 am

That’s the craziest shoe box ever!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

13 Danny Lake December 14, 2013 at 10:37 am

That’s pretty awesome haha, some of us just need to chill out a bit. It may be a waste but it is pretty decent.
Danny Lake recently posted..Fat Loss Factor: Will It Work For You? My Comprehensive Investigation.

14 Emily:2:design:cents December 14, 2013 at 11:02 am

Ha! That would be a pretty awesome brainstorming session. Props to their design team!
Emily:2:design:cents recently posted..INSPIRATION SKY

15 Maggie @ Just a Couple More Pages December 14, 2013 at 11:46 am

That shoe box is insane, I have no words.

I agree with you about the romance in Divergent being forced. I don’t think it gets any better through the rest of the series (although I like the series overall). I never got any warm fuzzy swoony feelings while reading about it. If you’re looking for another dystopian-like book with a fabulous story and a great romance you should check out Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. IMO it blows The Hunger Games and Divergent out of the water. The first 50 pages are a little odd (I wasn’t sure if I could finish) but then it blew me away!
Maggie @ Just a Couple More Pages recently posted..Book Review: Lovestruck Summer

16 Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

I love this idea! When I first saw this box I thought it was the coolest thing ever and really great idea from the marketing team! What a cool way to introduce a shoe!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Legs and Abs Workout

17 Runner Girl Eats December 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I think the shoe box is pretty awesome but kinda a waste to be honest. But it catches people’s eye and gets them talking so I guess mission accomplished?

I had no desire to read the Divergent books until I saw the trailer. Now I really wanna check it out!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Push it real good

18 Melissa December 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Wow, so awesome and unique! Definitely a fun surprise to come home to!
Melissa recently posted..Excitement by the Spoonful: NEW Refrigerated Finds!

19 Ashley December 14, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I am literally in shock as I scrolled down to comment about the shoes and book. . . Sheesh. Angry people much?

Anyways, I had no idea Divergent existed until I went to see Catching Fire and saw the trailer. I really wanted to see the movie! They library has yet to have the book in for me to read though 🙁
Ashley recently posted..Stress- 7 Signs you are too stressed.

20 Becca December 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Of the 3 books in the trilogy, Divergent is definitely the slowest & least interesting plot-wise. But I LOVED Allegiant, the 3rd book, because of how much it made me think about humanity and the choices that we make today, especially because the major issue she explores is fascinating to a biologist like myself. Stick with it, at least for the thought-provoking ideology that comes at the end.

21 Melissa (fitnessnyc) December 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Those look awesome! I love the colors!
Melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Jingle Jog and Ted Corbitt 15K

22 EB @ Running on E December 16, 2013 at 8:56 am

That shoe box is awesome. It’s really cool that they let their team be insanely creative with marketing!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..My year of running 2013

23 Ashley December 16, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I felt the same way for a lot of Divergence, but the stories did pick up for me in the last 2.

24 [email protected] December 17, 2013 at 8:16 am

I loved Divergent but Im having trouble getting through the follow up books.
[email protected] recently posted..Confessions of a Dieting Traveler