Disney for the day

by MealsAndMiles on December 11, 2013

Big news: I’m back in Florida!

Thanks to bad weather, I was stuck in San Diego a day more than planned (with the possibility of being stuck longer). Luckily our second round of flights were only delayed,  not cancelled. We made it home late last night and I was never more happy to sleep in my own bed.

At least if you’re going to be stuck somewhere, San Diego wasn’t the worst place.

image

Wait, why did I want to leave again? Oh yeah, I had plans with this guy:
image

Who refuses to take a serious photo.
image

Derek and I planned months ago to take a random day off in December and check out all the Holiday decorations at Walt Disney World. My goal was to see every tree. Though we didn’t see absolutely everything,  we did see a lot for one day of goofing off.

First up, Hollywood Studios.
image

I asked a stranger to take our photo in front of the tree and got this

Eh. Close enough. 😉

We walked right on Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster, then headed to Epcot for lunch.

Tree #2
image

We also picked up some anniversary buttons. I know we’re a couple of weeks early, but I wasn’t sure we would be back before the 5th.
image

I will admit it was fun wearing the button.  We had so many well wishes from Disney cast members and complete strangers. I even had a sweet message on my Starbucks cup.
image

Still can’t believe it’s almost been a year. Weren’t we just planning the wedding yesterday?!

Anyway, we ate at my favorite restaurant on Disney property on Epcot: Via Napoli.
image

I had a white sangria and we split the large prosciutto pizza.
image

The crust was amazing, as always.  Very thin and buttery – it practically melts in your mouth. Yum.
image

We continued walking around the world after lunch and checked out the gingerbread village in The Land.

image

From Epcot, we headed to Animal Kingdom.

Christmas tree #3
image

We then regretted going on Primeval Whirl…
image

(Too much spinning for our old stomachs)

Before checking out the Jingle Jungle Parade.

image

Our last stop was Magic Kingdom for the castle lighting ceremony.
image

The fourth (and final) tree!

Before…

After…
image

The Fairy Godmother did a great job!
image

Now I’m pooped and writing this post on my phone on the drive home (please excuse any formatting issues).

It’s back to the office tomorrow with only 14 days until Christmas!  Yikes, I have some shopping to do!

1 [email protected] December 11, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I’m impressed you wrote this from your phone! I can’t do anything while in the car (car sickness issues)

Yay Disney! I love Disney at Christmas!

2 Amanda Elizabeth December 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Disney for the holidays is so fun and love that fact you don’t have to get on a plane to visit! Looks like you guys had a blast in Epcot! That is my favorite place to go 🙂
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Favorite Weekend Brunch Spot-Piquant in Hyde Park Village

3 Jen December 11, 2013 at 9:12 pm

LOL…I rarely have luck with photos taken by random strangers. Whenever someone asks me to do it, I make sure to ask if there’s something in the background they want and I take at least two shots.
Jen recently posted..Progress and Magic Bands

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm

You wrote all that from your phone!?! Wow that’s impressive! Looks like such a beautiful place to be during the holidays!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Chin Up Buttercup

5 Mrs. Swan December 11, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Wow, that after is amazing.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Another day off

6 Lesley December 11, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Some wonderful Christmas trees! I do hope the holiday decorations are still up when I’m there for the half marathon. I really want to see that tree in EPCOT when we’re almost at the end of the course. *please Disney please*
Lesley recently posted..Cabin Fever!

7 Diana December 11, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I am impressed that this was done from your phone. I would have gotten completely frustrated and given up before the post was done.

I always feel so spoiled to live so close to Disney, especially during the holidays. It is so much fun to see all the decorations. You should really go to the hotels on property and see everything they have there too.
Diana recently posted..Shower Curtain Rods, Honey, Gnats, and Other Little Annoyances

8 Runner Girl Eats December 11, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I just had a panic attack at the fact that Christmas is 14 days away. YIKES!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..WTF?! Wednesday

9 Elisabeth December 11, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I love Disney over the holidays, but haven’t been since high school – you’re making me jealous 😉

10 Ashley December 11, 2013 at 11:40 pm

LOVE that you two took this random day!! Happy Anniversary 🙂
Ashley recently posted..4 miles to Mexican

11 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs December 11, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Sounds like a great way to spend a day!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods

12 Kathy December 12, 2013 at 7:24 am

Adorable pictures…what a fun day! Must say for a guy who can’t take a “serious” picture the one…sitting across from the almost gone pizza….is looking pretty serious or kind of like a guy who has “other intentions”…ha!

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 12, 2013 at 8:13 am

There’s a Disney Starbucks? How fun! (Is it bad that I got really excited about that?!) 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The 5 Minute Ab Burner

14 Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 12, 2013 at 8:30 am

What a fun day at the parks! My husband and I are celebrating our 1 year on the 28th this month and going to Disney the 2nd week of January to celebrate as well as run the marathon! We went to Disney for our Honeymoon and I loved all the Christmas decorations! (We typically go in the summer!!)
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Some Heavy Stuff to Start your Thursday

15 Melissa December 12, 2013 at 8:37 am

Ahh, looks like so, so much fun! I would absolutely love to visit Disney again, even if it’s for a day. It is such a fun place and I’ve always wanted to see it decorated for the holidays!
Melissa recently posted..Teacup Treasures: Meet Red Rose Tea!

16 Olga @ BrooklynBeet December 12, 2013 at 10:24 am

I love in NYC and have never been to Disney…people keep telling me to just wait until I have kids…but it looks like so much fun, I may have to go before that!
Olga @ BrooklynBeet recently posted..The ritual of breakfast

17 Olga @ BrooklynBeet December 12, 2013 at 10:25 am

And by love, I mean live in NYC! D’OH!
Olga @ BrooklynBeet recently posted..The ritual of breakfast

18 EB @ Running on E December 12, 2013 at 10:42 am

What a fun idea to take the day off to enjoy the lights and decorations!

No worries, I haven’t done much shopping either! I might have to take a day off to do that.
EB @ Running on E recently posted..26.2 with Donna Marathon here I come!

19 RunEatRepeat December 12, 2013 at 10:46 am

Fun! You two are adorable 🙂
RunEatRepeat recently posted..What The Biggest Loser’s Alison Sweeney Eats

20 Caitlin December 12, 2013 at 12:58 pm

What a fun day off. Smart to go on a weekday. And wear the anniversary button to get some extra fun out of the day! I know I’d just LOVE that pizza. Prosciutto is the best! I remember going to Disney to see the holiday decor when I was a kiddo living in FL. It’s pretty adorable – and nice to be warm while looking at it.
Caitlin recently posted..Hartford TheaterWorks “Christmas on the Rocks”

21 Emma @ Stripes and Snapshots December 12, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I wish I lived near Disney, looks like you had a great day!
Emma @ Stripes and Snapshots recently posted..Christmas gift | Pistachio and honey nougat

22 [email protected] December 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Ohhh this has be very excited about leaving freezing cold VA for sunny FL in just 5 tiny days for our pre-Christmas Disney trip!!
[email protected] recently posted..Weight Watchers Wednesday – Week 1

23 PeachyLau December 12, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Haha, I did not realise how big the pizza was until the second picture! It looks yummy
PeachyLau recently posted..Random #2 and day 7-11

24 RunInBoise December 12, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Oooh how fun. The pizza and castle look awesome!
RunInBoise recently posted..Road ID Giveaway

25 Caroline December 12, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I know it’s California, but barefoot on the beach?! Wow! It was 11 degrees when I woke up this morning!
Caroline recently posted..Thoughtful Thursday

26 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep December 14, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Doing all 4 parks in one day is so exhausting but so worth it!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Guest Post: How to Know When It’s Time to Break Up

27 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep December 14, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Doing all 4 parks in one day is so exhausting but so worth it!