Running and Beer Tasting in SoCal

by MealsAndMiles on December 9, 2013

Greetings from San Diego!

image

Technically I’m just north of San Diego in North County, but it’s just as beautiful.  It’s also deceivingly cold. I think Southern Californians hate the cold as much as Floridians do. It dips below 50 and we all freak out. I’ve seen folks wrapped in scarves and in thick winter hats, just as I would in Florida with these temperatures.

It was 36 when I left for my run this morning. Brrr.. it gave me a chance to wear my new Brooks running gloves (yes they were needed to keep this Florida girl’s hands warm)
image

They even had so special finger tips so I didn’t have to take the gloves off to take photos -brilliant.

image

And, yes, I had a lot to take photos of. I mapped out a perfect 5k route from my hotel that took me right by the water and on the beach.
image

image

Can you see the surfers? Nutsos!
image

The run was beautiful and exactly what I needed. I didn’t have a chance to run Saturday and Sunday and I was itching to get out there. Sometimes you just need to run, right?

After we finished work yesterday, a group of us headed to Stone Brewing Co for the tour.
image

The tour was a pretty good deal. For $3 you get a tour of the brewing facilities, a sample glass to keep, and 4 sample pours of their popular brews.
image

Our tour guide was great. He walked us through the brewing process and encouraged us all to try home brewing. He also mentioned it was our right as human beings to try as many beers as possible. I like that theory, I love sampling craft beers and rarely stick to the same beer when I’m given unlimited options.
image

At the end of the tour we sampled the Stone Pale Ale, Stone IPA, Arrogant Bastard, and Double Bastard.
image

I really enjoyed the Double Bastard, which is a limited release brew with an 11.7% alcohol content. It was a lot smoother than I was expecting and had a very subtle richness to it.

If you’re ever in Escondido, I highly recommend visiting. The grounds were also gorgeous and the food was amazing. I’m still dreaming of the pancetta roasted brussels sprouts I had – amazing!

Have you ever been on a brewery tour? Which was your favorite?

1 Allison December 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Word cannot describe my jealousy of your trip to Stone Brewery! They are one of my faves, particularly their “Enjoy By” IPA! I don’t know which pics were more gorgeous….. The views of the run or the beer!! πŸ™‚

2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs December 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I love a good brewery tour! It’s such a fun way to taste some new beer!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Update

3 mary @ minutes per mile December 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I recently did a tour of the Coors brewery — I’m not a huge Coors drinker, so I thought it would be so-so. But actually, it rocked! It’s a really cool company that specializes in as many microbrews as they do big-time Coors Light etc.
mary @ minutes per mile recently posted..cold run & hot soup

4 Becky @ Olives n Wine December 9, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Stone Brewery is the best! I love their “drink by” beers πŸ™‚ Have a great time in Cali and try to stay warm!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Holiday Cranberry Salad

5 Kristen @ glitteranddust December 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Hope you are enjoying your travels on the West Coast! I live in Bend, Oregon, where there are more breweries per capita than any other city in the country. Brewery tours and tastings are a way of life here (it’s crazy)! My favorite is the Deschutes Brewery – amazing beer!
Kristen @ glitteranddust recently posted..β€œTree” Degrees Outside

6 Ashley @ Snow Cream and Syrup December 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I miss beer! (gluten free now) That sounds like a blast. We went to the Harpoon Brewery recently for my husband’s birthday, he got a beer flight and a chocolate/coffee beer that smelled absolutely amazing. I got a cider, which was a nice consolation prize πŸ˜‰

Also, that guy has an epic mustache.
Ashley @ Snow Cream and Syrup recently posted..Da Vinci Body Board Diary – Days 1-4

7 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I am not a big beer fan, but I would love to go on a brewery tour! I have never been on one. Good and warm gloves are hard to find! It gets in the teens and single digits here and normal gloves just don’t cut it! Even the ones that are made for running just don’t seem to keep my hands warm, and I have learned as soon as my hands get cold I get miserable!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Motivation Monday Part 2

8 Ashley December 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm

We LOVE Stone beers! If we make it out to California we are going to have to be sure to make that a stop!

9 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner December 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I love brewery tours! My husband and I recently moved to central Wisconsin, which is a huge craft beer location. I’m always surrounded by amazing beer!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Housewarming

10 Carrie @ Season It Already! December 9, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I love Stone!

When we were in Temecula, we did a little crawl of six of the breweries there. SO FUN!~
Carrie @ Season It Already! recently posted..The Post Fulton Diaries

11 Amanda Elizabeth December 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm

What a gorgeous run! I love going on brewery tours. Every time Mark and I head to a city we always make sure to check out the local breweries. Our favorite in Chicago was Goose Island. Have you been to Cigar City Beer tour in Tampa yet? So fun check it out if you haven’t had a chance yet!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Music Monday-Running and Spinning Playlist

12 Christine @ BookishlyB December 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I hate beer but I still love Stone! Their food and atmosphere are both great. I love how deceiving the location is- the first time went I was sure I was lost. It’s supposed to heat up a tad in SoCal this week if you’re still here!

13 Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas December 9, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Not a beer fan but I would go on a tour. I have done plenty of winery and chocolate factory tours though! πŸ™‚
Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas recently posted..Margaret’s First Dog Show

14 Lesley December 9, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I’m not a beer fan, but I love taking tours. I’ve done wine and champagne tours and the tasting at the end is the best part πŸ™‚
Lesley recently posted..Random Sunday Musings 12/8

15 EB @ Running on E December 9, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Oh, jealous! Stone is great. My favorite brewery tour I’ve been on was at New Belgium, but that is probably because we knew the employee so it was a little extra. Have fun in SoCal!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..The History of my Bloody Feet

16 Marney December 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm

That looks like so much fun! I went on a tour of the SweetWater Brewery in Atlanta but it was so crowded it took away from the experience. Our guide was funny and full of knowledge, but you could only hear him part of the time.

17 Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm

What beautiful photos! I wish I was freezing at 40 degrees! We have 20’s right now! And I have never been on a tour but my husband has been dying to go on one at our local brewery so after law finals we are going!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Five Quick Facts: V

18 Amanda December 9, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I love that you’re in my neck of the woods πŸ™‚ hope you had a good trip.

19 Chelsea December 9, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Sounds so fun! I’ve toured Founders Brewing Company in Grand Rapids, and it was AWESOME! The men and women who work there are so passionate about craft beer, and the newly renovated facility was really cool to see.

20 Runner Girl Eats December 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I love touring breweries and wineries! We make our own wine and my fiance was just given a beer brew kit so we are basically one step away from offering our own tours πŸ˜‰
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..There were runs.

21 Katie December 9, 2013 at 7:05 pm

It’s so nice to read a blog where you’re not giving us So Cal residents a hard time about our winters and how much we bundle up! This weather right now is unusually cold, not only for this time of year but for Southern California in general. I feel bad you haven’t been able to enjoy our regular weather – super hot temperatures for the Disney Half Marathon, and now super cold (by our standards) temperatures for this trip. You’ll have to come out again! πŸ˜‰

My favorite brewery tour was Guinness.

22 Molly Rose December 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Those surfers are nucking futs!

You look so cold in those pics, but I bet the views helped move along your frozen body! Ah, California.

I’ve done the Tampa Bay Brewery brew tour … I believe it was featured in Diners, Driveins, and Dives …. very good and the food was delicious too! Win win. You should try it out!

23 Emilee December 9, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I love the Cigar City Brewery tour right here in Tampa.

24 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner December 9, 2013 at 9:40 pm

We went to San Diego last summer for my cousins wedding – we probably would’ve gone to Stone had we known or had time! If you get a chance while you’re there, check out Carl Strauss brewing, really great beer! I LOVE factory tours, but breweries are by far my favorite! Thankfully I live in a place where brewery tours are plentiful!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..weekend running

25 Melissa December 9, 2013 at 9:47 pm

A couple years back, my sister and I went on a brewery tour of Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware. It was a really interesting experience!
Melissa recently posted..All it Takes is a Click

26 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com December 9, 2013 at 10:21 pm

sounds like fun. we went to a few breweries in new Hampshire for a friends birthday and it was a great time.
sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Bacon Wrapped Dates

27 Elyse December 10, 2013 at 2:51 am

Love Stone! I’ve been there quite a few times. There are also some awesome breweries in Temecula if you get the chance. But my heart is in the wine industry πŸ˜‰ Hope you get the chance to visit Temecula wine country while you’re here! If you do, let me know as I work at one of the wineries πŸ™‚

28 Stacey December 10, 2013 at 6:10 am

I’ve been to tons of breweries around New England, but Brooklyn Brewery was probably my top fav! You don’t even walk much but the stories are amazing (gangsters in the old days, etc)!
Stacey recently posted..ENERGYbits

29 Kelly @ Live Green Chic December 10, 2013 at 10:18 am

The Brooks running gloves are on my Christmas list! I love the idea of being able to change the music on my phone without de-gloving. Sounds like you are making the most of your work trip!
Kelly @ Live Green Chic recently posted..Florida State Parks – Silver Springs State Park

30 Stephanie @Cat Lady Runs December 10, 2013 at 11:18 am

This looks like such fun! Stone is my husband’s favorite brewery so he would love this.
Stephanie @Cat Lady Runs recently posted..Chicken & Kale Surprise

31 Diana December 10, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Dogfish Head in Delaware is a must see! And it must be followed by a stop at their own Brew Pub – amazing food!!!

32 Sarah December 11, 2013 at 12:19 am

Eek! I currently live in the deep
South, but I graduated from Cal State San Marcos which is right up the street from Stone. They were super small then (10 yrs ago?) But they taught me to really love good beer! Thanks for the trip down memory lane with the running scenery too! I hope to be back there permanently someday! πŸ™‚

33 PeachyLau December 11, 2013 at 2:36 am

So great that you managed to run by the beach. It looks beautiful
PeachyLau recently posted..Random #2 and day 7-11

34 [email protected] December 11, 2013 at 8:38 am

Brewery/Winery tours are the best! πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..Weight Watchers Wednesday – Week 1

35 joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 11, 2013 at 12:52 pm

LOVE Stone. And you’re totally right — I moved back to CA from D.C. this past summer, but yet I find myself freaking out when I realize it’s 40 degrees and I want to run outside before work. πŸ˜‰ Totally lost my edge.

ps. If you’re still in the area and want to run together tomorrow, let me know! I live in SD.
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Running With Lead Legs

36 Caitlin December 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I like the Double Bastard too! Stone is a great brewery. $3 is an amazing deal! I love that the gloves are basically made for HLBs, haha.

37 Amanda @runtothefinish December 11, 2013 at 2:20 pm

sighhhhh San Diego, someday I will live there!!!
Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..Asian Style Quinoa Salad

38 sonia the mexigarian December 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm

love san diego. πŸ™‚ I lived there for college and it was a fun several years. Stone Brew is really damn good. if you ever make it to Nor Cal, check out Lagunitas. they’re pretty good too πŸ™‚ not as big as Stone, but good.
sonia the mexigarian recently posted..Race Recap: California International Marathon

39 meghan @ little girl in the big world December 12, 2013 at 11:05 pm

There’s so much to love in this post! I love brewery tours, and those beers sound tasty. As far as the cold run, a few of those wouldn’t be so bad.
meghan @ little girl in the big world recently posted..Team Rev3 Announcement!

40 Mahealani @ Spending Time With Salad December 17, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Yay for STONE!!! I’m in LA, and we’ve been planning on making a trip to the Stone Brewery and the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

We’re lucky enough to have a Stone Company Store in Pasadena close to our house. They have all the latest Stone brews, glassware, clothes, books, other merch, and kegs. You can get growlers filled with beer to take home too!

I love their smoked porter, the oaked AB, and the wootstout! Glad you guys had a great time.
Mahealani @ Spending Time With Salad recently posted..Pro 2: Class 7 – Menu Development

41 Sarah December 18, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I 100% need a pair of running gloves that are smart phone friendly! I am always taking pictures on my runs and my fingers are freezing off this time of year!
Sarah recently posted..Live the width

42 Jeremy January 4, 2014 at 2:57 am

I love running in San Diego… but have never made it to Stone Brewery… had a lot of people suggest it. Now I’ll definitely have to stop by next time! thanks for the post! http://confessionsofanamateurathlete.blogspot.com
Jeremy recently posted..FEATURE FRIDAY–CBS 5 News Anchor Catherine Anaya