Our First Christmas Tree

by Meghann on December 1, 2013

The turkey has been carved, the pies have been eaten, and Santa made his grand entrance at Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Do you know what the means? It means I can finally admit to listening to Christmas music and egg nog drinking… it’s officially Christmas time! Whoop!

I try to hold off diving head first into the Christmas season until after Thanksgiving, but I always get sucked into Christmas music and events on the early side. For instance, Derek and I enjoy some holiday-themed ice skating on Wednesday night.

2bccbf6457c511e3a80a0a154a02c3a8_8.jpg

I haven’t been skating in years. So much fun!

It’s a tradition in my family that we pick out the family Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. We always had real Christmas trees growing up, and I knew that was a tradition I wanted to keep with my own little family. So after years of having a fake tree, Derek and I decided to purchase our first real tree for our first Christmas as a married couple. I’ve never felt more like an adult (or married) than I did walking into the tree lot this afternoon and picking out our tree.

1483318_10103882552789933_81161293_n.jpg

I’m not sure if you could classify me as the world’s worst shopper or the world’s best shopper, but the truth is I hate browsing. This why I’m terrible when it comes to sales racks or places like TJ Maxx, I just don’t have the patience to browse. It took me exactly two minutes to pick out a tree in the lot. Derek unwrapped one tree that was the height we wanted and I was sold. I’m sure it could go down as the quickest trip to a tree lot ever.

So we took our 6 foot beauty home, let it sit for an hour, then decorated it while watching a Hallmark Christmas movie (I’m addicted!).

IMG_2539.jpg

100% in love!

My favorite part was hanging all the ornaments that were recently added to our collection, like the “Just Married Nole Fans” Derek bought for us last week…

… or the Precious Moments First Christmas ornament my mom gave us on Thanksgiving.

The plus side to having a snowflake themed wedding? The decorations double as ornaments for future Christmas trees. These rustic snowflakes were part of our center pieces.

I bought the tree topper at Target on Black Friday. I thought it was a nice throwback to our rustic snowflake wedding.

IMG_2552.jpg

Of course, my parents’ tree still puts ours to shame.

1451589_10152014162510750_1269653107_n.jpg

Holy cow!

But that is a-okay with me. Check back with us in thirty years and let’s see how our tree has grown. Baby steps.

In other news, Derek and I had fun taking cheesy Christmas photos over the weekend.

Ha! I think Maddie’s face says it all.

Do you have a fake Christmas tree or a real one?

1 Megan December 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Love your tree and I love even more that all your wedding decor can double as ornaments! How clever!

I’m a real tree kid, always will be!
Megan recently posted..Race Report: Graffiti Run

2 Laura December 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Real tree all the way! We purchased ours this weekend as well and decorated it right away! I refuse to decorate or anything until Thanksgiving is over so Friday was all about decorating and starting in on the egg nog-YUM!
Laura recently posted..Six Months To Go

3 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs December 1, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I’d love to have a real tree, but my husband and I travel for the holidays 🙁
But my parents still get a real one so we get to enjoy theirs at least!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Links

4 Melissa December 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Aww, such a cute photo of you two and I love all of your ornaments!
Melissa recently posted..Solace in Pages

5 Christine @ BookishlyB December 1, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I can only imagine the things you had to promise Derek to get him in a Christmas sweater… And I’m with you on the shopping- wham bam thank you ma’am! Online is even better.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..November Reviews- So Sad

6 [email protected] is Sweet December 1, 2013 at 10:46 pm

That photo is so cute! Our tree picking consisted of me running around all the trees thinking they were all perfect for about a minute before we just grabbed one!
[email protected] is Sweet recently posted..On the Fourth Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me…

7 Ashley December 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Zach and I are planning on getting our tree tomorrow 🙂 <3 I would absolutely be like you and get through and pick one quickly — but Zach not so much.

8 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm

We always get a real tree because I LOVE the smell! There is just something about the smell in our house that puts me in such a Christmas mood! We haven’t gotten ours yet…BUT it is coming! 🙂 Hopefully soon!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Recap: 11/25 – 12/1

9 Show me Ashley December 1, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Aww I love it! I wish I had a real tree, but we have been using a fake tree- Apartment living was just too hard for a real tree. I miss the real smell though..
Show me Ashley recently posted..December Goals 2013

10 Diana December 1, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I know people are going to hate me for this, but I just don’t like real trees. They make me sneeze and I hate the smell of pine. Also, I just can’t get into the idea of spending that much money every year.

11 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 2, 2013 at 10:32 am

I really want a live tree some day, but it makes me so sad after Xmas to see them out on the curbs looking sad, so we have an artificial one.
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Recap: Space Coast Marathon 2013.

12 Mary December 2, 2013 at 12:52 am

Because we end up traveling round to our parents and family all over Christmas we don’t have a tree at the moment but when we’re married it will definitely be a real one for me! I literally had a conversation with my fiancé on Saturday about how I’m no good in TK Maxx and he loves that I’m a quick shopper!
We get married next Summer and I can’t wait to set some of our own traditions on our first Christmas at home!

13 Ash December 2, 2013 at 1:01 am

I absolutely love real trees. Bo and I had a real tree every year in Philadelphia and New York. This is the first year that we aren’t doing a tree. It just doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense since we aren’t going to be in Geneva any weekends in December and we’ll only be in London one weekend due to skiing. But, we are both excited for trees in Savannah when we get home! 🙂

14 Lesley December 2, 2013 at 8:32 am

My family’s had a fake tree since I was 5, so I have one as well. I’m going to need a new one because I’ve been collecting ornaments and my tree is running out of room. I decorated this year while watching the Muppet Christmas Carol. That’s one movie I’ll be watching multiple times this season.
Lesley recently posted..Random Sunday Musings 12/1

15 Megan @ I Run For Wine December 2, 2013 at 8:55 am

Love that you have your first real tree! I showed Gabe your FSU ornament and he loves it. We always had two trees growing up, one real and one fake. The fake one was the “formal tree” which had all coordinating ornaments. The real one had our childhood ornaments. When Gabe and I moved in together, he demanded a real tree. Sadly, I do not think we will be putting up a tree this year since I am traveling 3/4 of the month for work 🙁
Megan @ I Run For Wine recently posted..Busch Gardens Christmas Town Family Four Pack – 12 Days of Christmas Day 1 #giveaway

16 egb December 2, 2013 at 8:56 am

Oh, poor Maddie. Her face is hilarious.

We are still rocking the fake and tiny tree, but that is more because we don’t have the space for a real one. The dog would probably knock it over anyway. Your tree looks great and I find it kind of funny you picked it out in shorts. Ah, Florida!
egb recently posted..November Recap

17 Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 2, 2013 at 9:31 am

Growing up we did both a real and a fake tree. But now that I am married we did a fake tree because our apartment does not allow real trees! 🙁 We were married on the 28th of December so we had a lot of “holiday” decorations which I was able to use for decorations as well as on the tree!
Looks like you had a great weekend!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Thanksgiving, Black Friday and a lot of In Between!

18 Kay December 2, 2013 at 9:55 am

I’m allergic to real evergreen trees so we have a fake tree. My family always had a real tree while I was growing up and it took about 18 years to realize the tree was what was making me so sick every year.

19 Kristin @ A Mom on the Run December 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm

That tree is insane!

Ours is fake — with two kids and a big dog, real just isn’t happening!

20 joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Yay for the new tree!

PS. I love your bangs — there’s so cute.
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Homemade Soft Baked Pretzels

21 joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 2, 2013 at 12:59 pm

they’re * <– sorry, I hate typos 😉
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Homemade Soft Baked Pretzels

22 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 2, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I’m in camp Fake Tree! I guess it’s my OCD coming out, but I like the uniformity!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..The Big Apple

23 Amanda Elizabeth December 2, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I can’t wait to go skating at the downtown rink! Helps Florida feel a little bit more festive!
Amanda Elizabeth recently posted..Music Monday-Spinning and Running Playlist

24 Meghan December 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Omg your parents tree is crazy!!! I am jealous though. ESP because I wish we could have a real tree. Too many Scrooges around here! Love maddies face and the sweaters!
Meghan recently posted..One week

25 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner December 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm

This is our third year with a real tree and I love it! Yours is a beauty.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..O Tannenbaum

26 Katie December 2, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I grew up with a real tree as a kid (big ones too, 9-10 feet tall) so when my mom bought a fake 8 foot tree a few years ago I almost had a heart attack.

I went with my boyfriend yesterday to get a real tree for his house (he’s a real tree guy too), but he bought a Douglas Fir whereas I’m a Noble Fir kind of girl. I guess you can call me a tree snob…

27 Kristen @ glitteranddust December 2, 2013 at 5:22 pm

WOW – your parents should win an award for the most covered tree! Christmas tree on steroids, ha ha. Love this time of year. My husband and I live in Oregon, thus we get to throw on our winter gear, pack a warm beverage and meal, and snowshoe or ski out to cut one in the forest. Charlie Brown trees are fun. 🙂
Kristen @ glitteranddust recently posted..The TAPER to Seattle

28 Katie December 2, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I love having a real tree! Besides the mess it makes 😉 Your hair looks a-amazing!

29 Mary December 2, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I love real trees! So funny to see you putting up a Christmas tree in shorts. I miss the warm here in Michigan!!! That look would not have worked on our trip to the tree farm this weekend.

30 Caitlin December 3, 2013 at 11:54 am

Hahaha oh my gosh I love your sweaters in that photo! Adorable! Holy moly to your parents tree. I prefer a smaller tree anyway and I love that the star topper is like your wedding decor. Very cool and meaningful!
Caitlin recently posted..Pacific Foods: Man-Friendly Casserole

31 Runner Girl Eats December 3, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Real tree, absolutely! I just got done decorating ours…which is garnet and gold themed, of course 😉
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..How to not take a wedding picture